Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Police to quiz JonBenet Ramsay's brother as beauty queen murder is reopened

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Ramsey Interview on CNN

Post  hobnob on Thu 23 Sep - 22:32

Statement Analysis of Ramsey CNN interview. Quotes in italics. Statement Analysis in bold type. The inclusion of commentary is also in bold type. The article's commentary is in plain text.

Interview With Parents of Slain Child Beauty Queen

Note that at the time of the interview, the police had accused the Ramseys of not cooperating.

NATALIE ALLEN, CNN ANCHOR: And Brian is here, he conducted an exclusive interview today with the child's parents, John and Patricia Ramsey.

BRIAN CABELL, CNN CORRESPONDENT: First of all, from a newsstand point, a couple of item's came out, the Ramsey are going to be putting together their own investigative team, they say, private investigates. This is not meant as any disrespect, they say, for the Colorado authorities. They just want the best mind possible, they say, looking into this crime.

Secondly, they will be offering a reward perhaps as much as $50,000 starting next week. It has been a very difficult week as you might expect for the Ramsey family, a very difficult interview as well, we talked to them for about 45 minutes.

This is also unusual. The norm is to have money raised for a reward; including law enforcement and private citizens working together to entice somonne with knowledge to come forward.

CABELL: Why did you decide you wanted to talk now?

JOHN B. RAMSEY, JONBENET'S FATHER: Well we have been pretty isolated -- totally isolated -- for the last five days, but we've sensed from our friends that this tragedy has touched not just ourselves and our friends but many people. And we know that there's many people that are praying for us, that are grieving with us. And we want to thank them, to let them know that we are healing, and that we know in our hearts that JonBenet is safe and with God and that the grieving that we all have to do is for ourselves and for our loss, but we want to thank those people that care about us.Notice first that the question is "why" did you decide to talk "now".

Let's look at John Ramsey's answer as to "why".

"Well we have been pretty isolated -- totally isolated -- for the last five days"

"well" may be habitual manner of speaking; generally used as a pause to think. As with all habitual speech, we look to see if a pattern develops of when any 'delaying' or pause words are used. It can indicate that the question asked is sensitive.

"we have been pretty isolated". In Statement Analysis, extra words give us additional information. If a sentence works without a word, the word is deemed "extra" and is valuable to the analyst.
"We have been isolated" is a straight forward answer. Here we have the additional word "pretty"; which would indicate a sensitivity. Someone who is "pretty" isolated is somewhat isolated. Remember, words are chosen in less than a microsecond. Ramsey then contradicts himself with another additional word, "totally" isolated.

"for the last five days" is added. This would indicate that they were not "pretty" isolated, or even "totally" isolated before the 5 days.
5 days have elapsed since the death of Jonbenet and police have accused the Ramseys of stalling and not cooperating fully with the investigation. In most investigations, and likely in all murder investigations, it is the norm to reinterview those close to the victim and the police had vented their frustration that the Ramseys were not cooperating with follow up interviews, and later accused the Ramseys of setting boundaries and limits to the interviews.

Ramsey said they were "pretty isolated" but then changed it to "totally" isolated, reducing commitment to the issue.

Next, we have the word
"but" which is a refutation of what was previously said.

"but we've sensed from our friends that this tragedy has touched not just ourselves and our friends but many people".

From the morning of the 26th of December, the Ramseys called in a lawyer, minister, and family friends and surrounded themselves with these people. "But" refutes his claim of isolation, which he already weakened with "pretty" and "totally".

Therefore, as he contradicts the view of "isolation" it is determined that John Ramsey is being deceptive.

This raises the question as to why John Ramsey is lying.

Ramsey then gives the answer as to "why" they are now speaking:

And we know that there's many people that are praying for us, that are grieving with us. And we want to thank them, to let them know that we are healing

He stated that they came to do this interview to "thank" the people who are praying for them and to tell them that they are "healing".
This is also unusual.

If you found your child murdered in your home, would you feel the need to, a week later, go on national TV to say "thank you" and tell people that you are healing? Would you be healing at such a time of crisis? This gave the appearance of "spin" and a presentation of the family. Why would such a presentation of the family be necessary? If your child was murdered, would you feel a need to have the nation view your family image? For most people, they would be blind by grief and care nothing for what others thought of them.

But Ramsey goes on in his answer and gives us an insight into his thinking:

and that we know in our hearts that JonBenet is safe and with God and that the grieving that we all have to do is for ourselves and for our loss, but we want to thank those people that care about us.

He tells the nation that Jonbenet is "safe" now that she is dead. This indicates that prior to being dead, she was not safe. This is a theme that we now listen for. This is a critical point.

We now have Patsy Ramsey's answer to "why" they are speaking now:

PATRICIA RAMSEY, JONBENET'S MOTHER: We have just been overwhelmed by the cards and letters and visits and people we haven't seen for years have come to call and be supportive in their -- many of them are parents, and they know and can feel our grief.

She reported that they (plural) have been overwhelmed by cards, letters and visits, including people that they have not seen for years.

This shows that the sensitivity indicators in John Ramsey's language (pretty; totally) shows deception. John reported that he and Patsy were "totally" isolated in the past 5 days; but Patsy Ramsey reported that they were "overwhelmed" which included people visiting tha they had not seen for years.

Therefore, the answer given as to "why" they have come to speak to the nation is deceptive.

Investigators listening to the CNN interview would then ask themselves:

Why do the Ramseys have the need to lie?

RAMSEY, J: But the other -- the other reason is that -- for our grief to resolve itself we now have to find out why this happened.

John Ramsey then says that there is another reason why they came forward, so soon after their daughter's murder, to speak to the nation: the need to know "why" Jonbenet was murdered.

Note: Avinoam Sapir, Labratory for Scientific Interrogation pointed out that John Ramsey did not ask "who" killed his daughter; only "why"; which is an indication that he knew who killed her.

CABELL: There has been some question as to why you hired a defense attorney.

RAMSEY, J: I know. Well, we were fortunate from almost the moment that we found the note to be surrounded by friends, our minister, our family doctor, a personal friend of mine who is also an attorney, and we relied on their guidance almost from that moment on and my friend suggested that it would be foolish not to have knowledgeable counsel to help both us and with the investigation.

Note that John Ramsey gives a time line for being "surrounded" by friends as being "almost the moment" that "we" found the note. This is weighed against his "total isolation".

Note also that his friend "suggested" that it would be "foolish" not to have "knowledgeable counsel" (not just "counsel") to help both "us" (not to help "us" but "both" us; additional wording emphasizing why both would need attorneys) and to help with the investigation.

How would defense attorneys help "with the investigation"? By stalling interviews; by shopping various polygraphers, by refusing to release the results, by making the rules of the interviews. In short, by doing everything they could to sabotage the investigation, including orchestrating a public appearance on national television a week from the murder.

This is in stark contrast to John Walsh, America's Most Wanted; and the general behavior of innocent parents. Innocent parents take immediate polygraphs, interviews, DNA submissions; in short, innocent parents do anything they can to help; and are often found "pestering" law enforcement daily for answers. Note that John Ramsey's initial reaction was to arrange to fly his family out of Boulder; leaving behind his daughter's body; something parents are generally unable to bear even the thought.

RAMSEY, P: And if anyone knows anything, please, please help us. For the safety of all of the children, we have to find out who did this.

Note that Patsy wants to find out "who" did this, for the "safety of all of the children" which may have been in response to the public statement by police that Boulder was safe from an unknown child killer.

RAMSEY, J: Not because we're angry, but because we have got to go on.
John is not angry. This is not the reaction of an innocent father who's daughter has just been murdered. An innocent parent would have boiling wrath. Why would John Ramsey want the public to think that they are not angry? This was another criticism of "spin" against the Ramseys, seeking to portray themselves in the most positive light possible. It is an unnatural reaction. A mother bear robbed of its whelp is dangerous; how much more so the parents (John says "we") of a murdered child? It was the anger that John Walsh felt that he eventually channeled into helping others. Remember, this is just a week away from the murder.

RAMSEY, P: We can't -- we can't --

RAMSEY, J: This -- we cannot go on until we know why. There's no answer as to why our daughter died.

John repeats that he wants to know why (not who) but then tells us that there is no answer as to "why". This raises our own question: Why would there be no answer?

CABELL: Are you fully convinced that your daughter was kidnapped by some outsiders outside your family or circle of friends?

RAMSEY, J: Yes. I -- we don't -- you know, it's just so hard to know, but we are -- our family is a loving family. It's a gentle family. We have lost one child. We know how precious their lives are .

Broken sentences are indications of withholding information; including Patsy's "we can't" above. Here, John changes his flow of information so that he can tell the nation that they are a "loving" family.

Repetition shows sensitivity. John Ramsey repeats "family" with regards to public image. There are two things he wants the nation to know:

The family is loving.

This is an indication that the family had turmoil and stress. When a subject must tell us that they are "loving", there is a reason why it is included. Most families are considered "loving" and don't feel the need to say so. But John Ramsey goes further. He not only wants the public to know that they were "loving" but also that they were "gentle".

"Gentle" is a term applied to someone who is not violent. Why is it important for John Ramsey to tell the public that his family is "gentle"? This raises more questions.

He also says they lost "one" child.

Note: John Ramsey lost an older daughter in a car accident years earlier.

CABELL: Mrs. Ramsey -- you found the note. Was it a handwritten note, three pages?

Note the question asked.

RAMSEY, P: I didn't -- I couldn't read the whole thing I -- I just gotten up.

The broken sentence tells us that she is withholding information. She began with "didn't" but then changes to "couldn't".

We also have Patsy Ramsey giving us the reason why she didn't or couldn't read the note: she had just gotten up. When a subject tells us the reason of something, it is highly sensitive.

We were on our -- it was the day after Christmas, and we were going to go visiting, and it was quite early in the morning, and I had got dressed

Here, Patsy tells us she was awake and alert enough to get dressed.

and was on my way to the kitchen to make some coffee, and we have a back staircase from the bedroom areas,

Again, she is telling us "why" and not "what happened" indicating an area of sensitivity

and I always come down that staircase, and I am usually the first one down.

We now come upon an important aspect in Statement Analysis and an indication that Patsy Ramsey may be being deceptive.

In Statement Analysis, we only believe what we are told and do not interpret. If someone does not mention being married, we do not conclude that they are married. If they do not tell us that they did something, we do not attribute that thing to them as having been done

Here, Patsy Ramsey does not tell us that she came down the stairs and found the note. This is an indication that she is being deceptive.

for example:

Supervisor: "What time did you get to work today?"
Employee: "Oh, man. I usually get to work a few minutes before 8. I like to get my coffee and be ready for the clients. I think they appreciate my punctuality and how ready I am for them at 8 on the dot!"
Note: the subject did not answer the question. The subject would like you to interpret that she was there a few minutes early but does not say so. Lying is stressful and people attempt to avoid lying.

Note: In Statement Analysis, when someone does not answer a question, the subject has answered the question.

Here, Patsy Ramsey tells us what she usually does. We cannot say that she came down the steps and found the note after getting dressed; on her way to making coffee.

Statement Analysis deems that this account is not reliable and that Patsy Ramsey is being deceptive. We cannot say that this happened, leading to the question: Why is she lying? Did she go to bed that night?

Because the answer is not reliable, we not only question about her coming down the stairs, but she was not likely the "first" one that morning.

And the note was lying across the -- three pages -- across the run of one of the stair treads, and it was kind of dimly lit.

Statement Analysis is 90% rules of grammar. It is 10% specific language and engaging principles of discourse. We flag unusual words for all statements. We flag when a subject mentions an inanimate object as "lying, laying, sitting, seated, standing, stood, etc" as an indication of tension present. This is especially useful when "drugs are sitting on the table", as this type of description is generally an indicator that the subject put the drugs on the table, since drugs don't "sit" or "lay".

This is an indication that Patsy Ramsey, the subject, likely placed the note on the stairs.

"across one of the stair treads. It was dimly lit"

This is an indication of deception. When a subject gives extra details, it can often be an attempt to persuade, just as too vague a report is an indication of deception. A good example is found with Casey Anthony's description of Zanny the Nanny, where Casey went into unnecessary (and unrealistic) detail, including teeth, family, hair straightener, dog, and so on, in an attempt to persuade rather than report.

It was just very early in the morning, and I started to read it, and it was addressed to John. It said "Mr. Ramsey," And it said, "we have your daughter." And I -- you know, it just was -- it just wasn't registering, and I -- I may have gotten through another sentence. I can't -- "we have your daughter." and I don't know if I got any further than that. And I immediately ran back upstairs and pushed open her door, and she was not in her bed, and I screamed for John.

Note: first person singular, past tense, establishes commitment. Here, Patsy accurately reports what the note said. She screamed for John, but reported that Burke (her son)slept through it all. Later, the enhanced 911 call cast doubt on her claim that Burke was asleep.
Broken sentences indicate information that began, but was halted and withheld.
Extra words show sensitivity: note that it was "very" early and that she "immediately" ran upstairs. These words show that it is important to Patsy that the audience know her reaction as immediate. Since it would not be plausible for a mother to read a ransom note, but then stop, make coffee and do her make up, it is unnecessary information and appears as an attempt to persuade.

CABELL: John, you subsequently read the note. Was there anything in there that struck you in any sense?

RAMSEY, J: Well, no. I mean, I read it very fast. I was out of my mind. And it said "Don't call the police." You know, that type of thing. And I told Patsy, call the police immediately. And I think I ran through the house a bit.

RAMSEY, P: We went to check our son.

Is this before or after she called 911? Is this before, after, or during the time when he "ran" through the house, "a bit". Why is "a bit" added? The sentence works without it. It is reasonable to expect that when JonBenet was discovered missing that the large house would be searched, yet John only ran "a bit". Where did he run to?

Note also "our son". A mother will generally say "my" unless:

adoption
foster child
step child
step parenting involved

or, there is thoughts of divorce.

RAMSEY, J: Checked our son's room. Sometimes she sleeps in there. And we just were --

Missing pronoun noted. John does not commit to his statement and neither can we. This is likely also not reliable information. Note that she interrupts at this point, showing how sensitive it is. The events run in time.

A truthful account does not tax the memory. It can be repeated like a parade going before your eyes; backwards and forwards. The Ramseys have not been consistent (Burke sleeping) and the time line of events appears sensitive to both Ramseys.

RAMSEY, P: We were just frantic.

CABELL: How did you happen later to look in the basement?

RAMSEY, J: Well, we'd waited until after the time that the call was supposed to have been made to us, and one of the detectives asked me and my friend who was there to go through every inch of the house to see if there was anything unusual or abnormal that looked out of place.

Here we have another indicator of deception. Pronouns are considered the most important part of investigatory speech. Pronouns give ownership and are ingrained within us since our first days of speech. "my daddy" "my toy". Innocent people, for instance, will not take ownership of something they are innocent of:

"for those of you who believe in my guilt..." OJ Simpson

John reported that he found the body. Here, he begins with "we", which is an indication that his account is not reliable. This was hours later. Didn't he search the house ealier when he "ran" through it? Instead, although his daughter had been "missing" for hours, a father didn't search the house, the doors, the windows?

one of the detectives asked me and my friend who was there

"who was there" are additional words. This is sensitive and it is important to John that there were others present. (recall the isolation)
to go through every inch of the house to see if there was anything unusual or abnormal that looked out of place.

RAMSEY, P: Look for clues I guess.

Patsy gives the reason why the house would be searched. John repeats back her words; reflection shows sensitivity. The search is highly sensitive to both. This may be an indication that both knew where the body was.

RAMSEY, J: Look for clues, asking us to do that,

note that this violates the formula of First person singular, past tense for reliability: "asking" is present tense. Since we know from the detective Linda Arndt that she did ask him to search the house (she stated that she feared him), why wouldn't John relate this in past tense? Why the need for sensitivity? This may also indicate that he knew where the body was and as the subject is approached, the sensitivity increases.

give us something more to do to occupy our mind, and so we started in the basement, and -- and we were just looking, and we -- one room in the basement that -- when I opened the door -- there were no windows in that room, and I turned the light on, and I -- that was her.

John then tells us that focus is an issue: not only to look to see if something is abnormal, but to "occupy" "our mind" (note contradiction of singluar v plural) and "we were just looking" with the word "just" as a reduction.

Broken sentence: change of thought; withheld information.

Note: opening and closing of door. When this enters a statement, it is closely linked with sexual abuse of a child. In subjects, it is often found "opening" a door by the abusive parent and "closing" the door often enters into the language of the abused child. For the abused child, the opening of a door represents the start of the sexual abuse, which is too painful often to talk about, so the child will often say he or she remembers the door "closing" as it is often associated with "relief" since the abuser has now left and the abuse is over.

In Statement Analysis, the opening and closing of doors; the turning on and off of lights and the introduction of water (washing, etc) are three indicators of sexual abuse or activity, so that when any of the three enter a statement they are automatically flagged by the analyst.

For example:
"washing my hands
In a sexual homicide, the killer stated that he had picked up the victim hitchiking, and later reports stopping for gas and ". The "washing" of the hands; something people do without reporting it, was an indication that the rape had taken place just prior to the rest stop.

Or, when someone describes going to bed, they don't feel a need to say that they turned off the lights before sleeping; it is just something we all do. But when it is important enough to mention in a statement, it is because it holds importance to the subject: something took place out of the ordinary. This is why Statement Analysis will flag these words.

Here, John Ramsey mentions two factors: opening the door and turning on the light. both are flagged for sexual abuse by John Ramsey.

There are linguistic indications that John Ramsey was likely sexually abusing his daughter. (see LSISCAN.com for analysis)

RAMSEY, P: She was --

CABELL (on camera): Mr. Ramsey did confirm that duct tape was found on his daughter's mouth. I asked him about a cord found around her neck, that was a report out of Colorado today, he said he didn't see, it could have been there but he was panicked at that point. He picked up the body, ran screaming upstairs, hoping she was still alive, of course she was not.

There was also a reference to another child that was lost. They lost his daughter -- his adult daughter -- about four years ago in an auto accident. This is the second child they have lost.

Note that the CNN interviewer calls John Ramsey's older daughter, who died in a car accident, "his" adult daughter. This is correct usage.

Coming up in just a few minutes, we address the question -- I address the question -- to them of their being suspects themselves. That's natural in a case like this and we'll ask them about that coming up.

LOU WATERS, CNN ANCHOR: At this hour we're concentrating on the murder of JonBenet Ramsey which has shocked and saddened many in her home town of Boulder, Colorado.

ALLEN: CNN's Brian Cabell this afternoon had exclusive interview with her parents and he's here again with more of the emotional interview after the killing.

CABELL: As you know in cases like this it's very normal police procedure to look at the family first of all as possible suspects in this case. The Ramsey's say they understand this, they're well aware of the Susan Smith case of a couple of years ago, they understand that possibly they would be looked at suspiciously and they say they accept this.

CABELL (off camera): You were asked shortly thereafter for a hair sample and writing sample, blood sample. Who else was asked for this?

RAMSEY, J: Well, Patsy and I, Burke, our son, who is nine, every family member.

John introduces Burke, by name and pronoun. He was likely close to Burke. Social introductions are important. John and Patsy introduced each other differently, indicating that Patsy felt closer to John than John did to Patsy.

For example:

"Mr. Johnson, my supervisor, asked me to..." This type of social introduction is indicative of a good working relationship.

"My supervisor told me..." has the name withheld, and "told" rather than the softer "said", indicating some tension or distance.

John said his entire family.

CABELL: Including your two elder children?

RAMSEY, J: Uh-huh.

This would affirm that both of his older children gave DNA samples.

CABELL: Any friends?

RAMSEY, J: I don't know.

In a child murder case, the parents are in with the police constantly, and seek to know every possible detail. They also speak to their friends and likely know who the police have spoken to.

CABELL: Now, did you give the samples?

RAMSEY, J: Uh-huh.

CABELL: Oh, really? Because the word was that they thought you were too grief stricken. So both of you, you gave samples?

RAMSEY, J: Yes.

CABELL: Were you offended by that?

RAMSEY, J: No.

RAMSEY, P: It was difficult. But, you know, they need to know -- I mean our hand prints are all over our home, so they need to know if there's -- if there are other ones --

John denied being offended at giving samples and he did not elaborate on the comment made about the difference in information where police reported that they were too upset to provide samples.

The parent of a murdered child is filled with resolve. The anger drives them to not only cooperate, but get others to cooperate and it drives them to stay on top of the police. The mother bear robbed of its whelp is a fiery subject who will be pacified easily. This is why some of the unsolved cases including the South Amboy, NJ case where a 6 year old boy went missing at a carnival, only later to be found beheaded, focused upon the mother (still uncharged) as her post event behavior, along with her deception, brought the focus upon her.

Innocent parents give samples immediately because they are focused on catching the killer. They are filled with angry resolve. They are not insulted. They do not need lawyers. Their boldness is noted by police and they are quickly cleared. This is the norm.

John and Patsy Ramsey were not angry, and they did their best to hinder the investigation into the murder of their daughter.

The Ramseys hired famed FBI profiler, John Douglas, who concluded that John didn't do it because no one just "graduates" to murder; but there would be a pattern of abuse and neglect up to that point, said Douglas.

I have read (and enjoyed) Douglas' books. They were exciting to read, though I had questions about the "hollywoodization" of the accounts.

I have two rebuttals of his premise:

1. There were indicators of abuse. Jonbenet had a series of infections. She was also bedwetting. The doctor saw her many times; far more than normal, and did not make a report. My years in child protective have taught me that doctors do not make reports of well-to-do parents, as suspicion for abuse and/or neglect is low. The well to do family is under less financial strain than others, which can contribute to abuse/neglect.

2. Since that time, news story after news story (now portrayed nightly on HLN) shows harsh crimes committed by those without histories of violence. Recently, a 17 year old was convicted of killer another girl; up close and personal. She had no criminal record and was reportedly not in trouble.

There are just those who committ violent crimes who do not "work their way up" the ladder of violence; and though many do, we also have the classic "under reporting"; especially in domestic violence where denial is the norm.

Today, John Douglas' premise is not given the weight in law enforcement that it once was.

CABELL: The police said a couple of days ago, to assure other residents of Boulder there is no killer on the loose here, you can be assured everything is under control. You believe it's someone outside your home.

RAMSEY, P: There is a killer on the loose.

RAMSEY, J: Absolutely.

They both are able to say this emphatically.

RAMSEY, P: I don't know who it is. I don't know if it's a he or a she. But if I were a resident of Boulder, I would tell my friends to keep -- keep your babies close to you, there's someone out there.

LSI pointed out that inconsistency in this fear as Patsy described living in a safe neighborhood in another interview.

CABELL: An FBI spokesman was quoted as saying at this point they don't regard it necessarily as a kidnapping. You think that's a wrong assumption?

RAMSEY, J: I don't know. I mean, there is a -- a note that said -- your daughter has been kidnapped. We have your daughter. We want money. You give us the money; she'll be safely returned.
RAMSEY, P: It seemed like kidnapping to me.

The Ransom note has been extensively analyzed as deceptive (see the analysis of the ransom note at www.statementanalysis.com). A true ransom note is short, to the point, and demands a lot of money. Patsy was not ruled out as the author, and in it, is the demand for the exact amount of John Ramsey's Christmas bonus. There are also linguistic indicators that Patsy wrote it. It wasn't a kidnapping.

http://www.statementanalysis.com/ramseynote/

RAMSEY, J: I guess that's what concerns me because if we don't have the full resources of all the law enforcement community on this case, I am going to be very upset.

John is not angry at the murder of his daughter.
John does not ask who killed his daughter.
John will be "upset" (future tense) if he doesn't have the "full" resources of law enforcement, even though Boulder police worked with the FBI. This is likley deceptive.
Note that all those hired by the Ramseys believed that the Ramseys were innocent.
How many families of murdered children hire their own investigators on day one of a case? It is something few can afford, and is generally only done when the case goes cold. Here, we have it while the case is "hot"; with the Ramseys cooperating with their own hired help, but not with the full resources of the "community" in which they lived.

CABELL: Inevitably, speculation on talk shows will focus on you. It's got to be a sickening --

RAMSEY, J: It's nauseating beyond belief.

RAMSEY, P: You know, America has just been hurt so deeply with the -- this -- the tragic things that have happened. The young woman who drove her children into the water, and we don't know what happened with the O.J. Simpson -- and I mean, America is suffering because have lost faith in the American family.

Note that Patsy associates her case with Susan Smith and OJ Simpson.

We are a Christian, God-fearing family. We love our children. We would do anything for our children.

With the alleged murder 'loose" on the streets and unknown, why would Patsy Ramsey feel the need to tell the nation that they are "Christian", "God fearing" and that they love their children?
Innocent parents of murdered children are on the move. They are proactive, helpful, and are often described as "pains in the necks" of law enforcement because they search for the killer. Here, we see why the Ramseys were accused of public relations:

They wouldn't talk repeatedly and freely to the police, but instead spoke to the nation;
they engaged in shameless self promotion; describing themselves as "loving", "gentle", "Christian" and "God fearing" which is designed to influence public opinion rather than contribute anything to finding justice for Jonbenet.

When the bizarre behavior of a parent is called upon, the parent often responds by saying, "there is no book on grieving" or "everyone reacts differently in a tragedy". Cindy Anthony said this when Casey danced, got a tattoo and celebrated Caylee's death.

There is, however, a "book" on how parents react.

There are indicators of guilt and of innocence and law enforcment studies these things in great detail.

A general rule of thumb:

Innocent families work hard with law enforcement to advance the investigation;
Guilty families will hinder the work of law enforcement.

CABELL: Do you truly think the perpetrator will be found?

RAMSEY, J: Yes. Yes. Has to be found.

Repetition shows sensitivity. Note missing pronoun. Most people will automatically say "he" or "they", yet, didn't John Ramsey receive a ransom note from a "small foreign faction"? That would mean "they". The missing pronoun shows a lack of committment by John Ramsey.

CABELL: Do you think it's a single individual?

RAMSEY, J: Yes. In my heart I do.

then it is not a small "foriegn faction"?

CABELL: Do you take some comfort in believing that JonBenet Ramsey is in a better place.

RAMSEY, J: Yes. That's the one thing we want people dealing with us to know, to believe that, we know that in our heart.

RAMSEY, P: She'll never have to know the loss of a child . She will never have to know cancer or death of a child.

In studies of children murdered by their parents, a strong category arose in which a child was killed to "protect" the child from future abuse. The parent feels that the child (or children) must be saved from "sin" or from "suffering". In these cases, it was often found that the children were suffering at the hands of a family member prior to the death.

RAMSEY, J: We learned when we lost our first child that people would come forward to us, that sooner or later everyone carries a very heavy burden in this life. And JonBenet didn't carry any burdens.

This is a negation and indicates that Jonbenet did, indeed, suffer from carrying burdens in her young life.
note the language of "our first child"; as Patsy was the step mother and not biological.

CABELL: The Ramseys are staying here in the Atlanta area with family right now. They say they intend to go back to Boulder within a few days, precisely when they're not quite sure. They say when they go back they will sit down with the Boulder police. They will talk. They will tell them anything they want to know.

ALLEN: Brian, are police saying anymore about the investigation? Leads or evidence from the home?

CABELL: Police have not been particularly forthcoming about leads perhaps deliberately so, but they have said very little as to forced entry, anything like that we simply do not know. The police are keeping that to themselves at this point.

WATERS: What's intriguing to me is the Boulder cop said -- assured the public -- there was no killer on the loose. Now, that suggests they may have a line on who did this. Isn't that what --

CABELL: You start to question that, but keep in mind this was the first and only murder in Boulder this year so there was a bit of panic, a bit of alarm in the community. I think the police were simply trying to tell them: Don't worry we have everything under control, we have police out in the streets. They did step up their surveillance, so perhaps that's the way to explain that.

ALLEN: When was the last time they saw JonBenet Ramsey?

CABELL: When they put her to bed Christmas night, as a matter of fact, and sometime between the time they put her to bed and 5:50 or so the following morning she was apparently abducted from her bed.

WATERS: Did I hear the Ramseys are putting out some money to hire private investigators?

CABELL: They will be assembling their own private investigative team, exactly how many individuals we don't know, but private investigators, attorneys, they say they want the best investigative minds in the country. They want to coordinate this with the authorities in Boulder and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. But they are hiring their own people and offer a reward starting next week.

The investigatory team hired by the Ramseys all believed in the Ramsey innocence. Attorneys "polygraph shopped" until they found the results they sought, yet would not release the results of the polygraph; only agreed to allow the polygrapher to be interviewed. The "team" also dictated the terms of the interviews and did everything legal, within their power, to inhibit the investigation.

Readers may draw their own conclusions on why.

WATERS: What kind of reward?

CABELL: Fifty-thousand dollars was the figure he tossed out there. He wasn't absolutely certain but he thought it would be at least $50,000.

Note that this was not public funding nor was it raised voluntarily by the community.

ALLEN: Was there something that struck you the most from your conversation with them?

CABELL: It's just looking at two parents, myself being a parent. It's very difficult to conduct an interview, very difficult to be interviewed about losing a six-year-old child especially in such a violent way.

I wondered if Cabell was shocked that, as a father himself, John Ramsey was not angry.

WATERS: Did you try hard to get them to sit down and talk? Most folks, in this kind of situation, I would think, would be very reluctant to sit in front of a television camera.

CABELL: They said that they had to get over this five of six days of grieving and burying their daughter, now they want to get on with this new stage of their life, and that is: finding the killer. They wanted to get this off their chest, they want to get this in motion.

Note that Cabell interprets, rather than listens. He is projecting himself as a parent. He would be searching for the killer but that is not what John told him.

By appealing to people, the Ramseys touched upon the sensivilities of loving parents, especially those who are "Christian" and who are "God fearing" in the public message. In fact, the investigator they hired, Lou Smit, prayed with the Ramseys.

When I first heard of this case, I was shocked at the sexualized appearance of Jonbenet Ramsey; dressed up like a showgirl. Later, I found my own emotional tugging as they appealed to my own religious sentiments and wanted to believe them. John reported that the suspicions made him sick to my stomach. This is something both guilty and innocent people feel and say.

http://lsiscan.com/ramsey_s_t_v__interview.htm

Although written for students, there is much to be seen by all.

http://lsiscan.com/ramsey_s_press_conference.htm

Statement Analysis gets to the truth, however, even beyond our own personal persuasions.

From LSI:

" 8. John Ramsey said:
a) "So, as we looked at this group of people that we pulled together, it was not only to advise us in this process, but hopefully to assist the investigation to a closure."

b) "But an arrest is absolutely necessary in our lives for closure."

Patsy Ramsey said:

"We need the one phone call to this number that will help the authorities come to a conclusion to this case.

Please notice that both subjects are talking about "closure" (John) and "conclusion" (Patsy) but not a "solution". "

Most people want a case "solved". Remember, we choose words based upon a signal from the brain that takes place in a microsecond.

The ransom note analysis is fascinating and it is something that anyone interested in justice should study. The analysis done by LSI was posted for students; it is not an article to the public, so there are things the author does not include because those things are presupposed by the student of Scientific Content Analysis. However, it is still valuable as it concludes that John Ramsey had been sexually abusing his daughter, and that Patsy Ramsey knew of it, and conspired in a cover up after the fact, by writing a fake ransom note; and conspiring with him to use their wealth to hinder the police investigation.

Thus far, they are successful.

If an accidental death (or injury) took place, they may actually blame each other for the point where Jonbenet died; but both worked together to stage the death scene. This was a family of dark secrets.

hobnob
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 431
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-11-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Police to quiz JonBenet Ramsay's brother as beauty queen murder is reopened

Post  steve1295 on Thu 23 Sep - 22:44

Did not read your post tonight ,will in the morning, but Dont believe the ramseys, but do ,,ben needhams mum,,, why is that,,, ,,doint need aN ANSWER ,,,it is what it is.

steve1295
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 567
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  vikkipollard5 on Sat 25 Sep - 2:25

Here are some other points to consider in the Jon Benet case:

Later developments ( from Wikipedia)

In December 2003, forensic investigators extracted enough material from a mixed blood sample found on JonBenét's underwear to establish a DNA profile.[7] The DNA belongs to an unknown male. The DNA was submitted to the FBI's Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), a database containing more than 1.6 million DNA profiles, mainly from convicted felons. The sample has yet to find a match in the database, although it continues to be checked for partial matches on a weekly basis, as are all unmatched samples.[citation needed]

Later investigations also discovered that there were more than 100 burglaries in the Ramseys' neighborhood in the months before JonBenét's murder, and that 38 registered sex offenders were living within a two-mile (3 km) radius of the Ramseys' home—an area that encompasses half the population of the city of Boulder—but that none of the sex offenders had any involvement in the murder.[8]

On August 16, 2006, 41-year-old John Mark Karr, a former schoolteacher, confessed to the murder while being held on child pornography charges from Sonoma County, California. Authorities reportedly tracked him down using the Internet after he sent e-mails regarding the Ramsey case to Michael Tracey, a journalism professor at the University of Colorado.[9] Once apprehended, he confessed to being with JonBenét when she died, stating that her death was an accident. When asked if he was innocent, he responded, "No."

However, Karr's DNA did not match that found on JonBenét Ramsey's body. On August 28, 2006, prosecutors announced that no charges would be filed against him for the murder of JonBenét Ramsey.[10][11][12] In early December 2006, Department of Homeland Security officials reported that federal investigators were continuing to explore whether Karr had been a possible accomplice in the killing.

No evidence has ever come to light that placed the then-married Alabama resident Karr near Boulder during the Christmas 1996 crime. Evidence linking Karr to the killing is highly circumstantial in nature. For instance, handwriting samples taken from Karr were said to match the ransom note. In particular, his technique for writing the letters E, T and M were described by the media as being very rare.
[edit]

~~~~~~~
I found this statement analysis no where near as convincing as the analysis of the Mccanns. I would argue that the two cases are not as similar as they may appear. The Ramseys were deeply religious people who dressed their daughter up like a doll. (This does not make them murderers or sexual abusers by default). The Boulder police immediately suspected them to the detriment of the investigation.
These points have been left out of the article:

a. There was evidence of a break in through a basement window that was not investigated by the police.
b. DNA and footprints not matching the family were found
c. Veteran investigator not hired by the Ramsey concluded that there had been a break-in by an unknown assailant
d. The police gave misleading information regarding footprints leading to the house
e. a weapon (stun gun) was used to subdue the child (unusual in parental involvement, as were the horrific injuries she sustaned)
f. it is highly possible that the perpetrator was in the house for several hours while the Ramsey's were out and could have found info on bank accounts and other personal info
(the house was huge and had several staircases to conceal the abductor/murderer
g. who writes a 3 page ransom note when you did it yourself? Too much evidence....
h. Jon Benet was the perfect target of a pedophile and there were reports of a man pretending to be her father at a pagaent before her grizzly murder
i. an almost identical case happened 9 months after JB, but the father got involved and the intruder escaped.
k. the person who did this was a complete nutter. A man whose co-workers suspected him of the crime committed suicide (or was himself murdered according to a reputable documentary on PBS in the states.)

Although statistics state that the family are most likely to be involved in a child's disappearance/murder, please remember this is not always the case. Many I'm sure many may disagreee in this case, but please do adequate reseach before forming an opinion.

Last edited by vikkipollard5 on Sat 25 Sep - 6:00; edited 1 time in total

vikkipollard5
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 68
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post  vikkipollard5 on Sat 25 Sep - 2:32

Oh, and there's also this:

Letter from District Attorney-Ramsey Family Exonerated

On July 9, 2008, the Boulder District Attorney's office announced that as a result of newly developed DNA sampling and testing techniques, the Ramsey family members are no longer considered suspects in the case.[13][14] In light of the new DNA evidence, Boulder County District Attorney Mary Lacy gave a letter[15] to John Ramsey the same day, officially apologizing to the Ramsey family:

"This new scientific evidence convinces us...to state that we do not consider your immediate family, including you, your wife, Patsy, and your son, Burke, to be under any suspicion in the commission of this crime.

... The match of Male DNA on two separate items of clothing worn by the victim at the time of the murder makes it clear to us that an unknown male handled these items. There is no innocent explanation for its incriminating presence at three sites on these two different items of clothing that JonBenét was wearing at the time of her murder. ... To the extent that we may have contributed in any way to the public perception that you might have been involved in this crime, I am deeply sorry. No innocent person should have to endure such an extensive trial in the court of public opinion, especially when public officials have not had sufficient evidence to initiate a trial in a court of law. ... We intend in the future to treat you as the victims of this crime, with the sympathy due you because of the horrific loss you suffered. ... I am aware that there will be those who will choose to continue to differ with our conclusion. But DNA is very often the most reliable forensic evidence we can hope to find and we rely on it often to bring to justice those who have committed crimes. I am very comfortable that our conclusion that this evidence has vindicated your family is based firmly on all of the evidence, ..." [15][16]

~~~~~

There are, of course, some police officers who still claim the Ramsey's did it. You could say they staked their careers on it.

vikkipollard5
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan on Sat 25 Sep - 2:42

When the bizarre behavior of a parent is called upon, the parent often responds by saying, "there is no book on grieving" or "everyone reacts differently in a tragedy". Cindy Anthony said this when Casey danced, got a tattoo and celebrated Caylee's death.

There is, however, a "book" on how parents react.

There are indicators of guilt and of innocence and law enforcment studies these things in great detail.

A general rule of thumb:

Innocent families work hard with law enforcement to advance the investigation;
Guilty families will hinder the work of law enforcement.

-----------------------

Enough said.

widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan on Sat 25 Sep - 2:46

guilty of what I guess, is the question. hard to believe parents innocent of a child's death would take this approach. just to save their own hide from not doing regular checking.

widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  vikkipollard5 on Sat 25 Sep - 3:50

The Ramsey's did comply with the police investigation until it became clear that they were the ONLY suspects the police were pursuing. In this case, it was the police at fault. Yeah, the Ramseys are strange, but again, that doesn't make them killers. The evidence shows that they were not involved!! What more can be said. They really believe that their daughter is in heaven, and that God works in mysterious ways....that's why they answer the questions they way they do. The rest of the content anaylsis was extremely unconvincing to me.
I would have no desire to continue repeating something that isn't true just because I had already formed an opinion on it.
How would you feel if loads of people believed you had perpetrated a crime against your own child when you hadn't, because of a botched investigation. This has no bearing on the Mccann case in which the evidence suggests their involvement. What is the point of investigating anything if the facts don't matter.

And what does regular checking have to do with this case? Jon Benet was in her bedroom on the next floor down from her parents who were home, sleeping. Who checks on their children when they're in the house sleeping?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diane-dimond/rest-in-peace-patsy-ramse_b_112292.html

vikkipollard5
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  jinvta on Sat 25 Sep - 6:36

vikkipollard5 wrote: "I found this statement analysis no where near as convincing as the analysis of the Mccanns."

Can you post some of the statement analyses of the McCanns? I would love to read them. Does anyone know who did this statement analysis of the Ramseys and if they have conducted a similar analysis of the McCanns.

jinvta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1065
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  vikkipollard5 on Sat 25 Sep - 6:51

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id260.html

Jinvta, You will find pretty much everything on the mccann files.

vikkipollard5
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  jinvta on Sat 25 Sep - 7:15

vikkipollard5 wrote: http://www.mccannfiles.com/id260.html

Jinvta, You will find pretty much everything on the mccann files.

I have read much of the McCannfiles, but I don't remember reading any statement analysis. Can you direct me to those? Thanks

jinvta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1065
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan on Sat 25 Sep - 15:16

vikkipollard5 wrote: The Ramsey's did comply with the police investigation until it became clear that they were the ONLY suspects the police were pursuing. In this case, it was the police at fault. Yeah, the Ramseys are strange, but again, that doesn't make them killers. The evidence shows that they were not involved!! What more can be said. They really believe that their daughter is in heaven, and that God works in mysterious ways....that's why they answer the questions they way they do. The rest of the content anaylsis was extremely unconvincing to me.
I would have no desire to continue repeating something that isn't true just because I had already formed an opinion on it.
How would you feel if loads of people believed you had perpetrated a crime against your own child when you hadn't, because of a botched investigation. This has no bearing on the Mccann case in which the evidence suggests their involvement. What is the point of investigating anything if the facts don't matter.

And what does regular checking have to do with this case? Jon Benet was in her bedroom on the next floor down from her parents who were home, sleeping. Who checks on their children when they're in the house sleeping?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diane-dimond/rest-in-peace-patsy-ramse_b_112292.html

Regular checking doesn't have to do with this Ramsey case, but with the topic of how innoccent people behave - reasons why they would go against the behavior usually typified by innocent parents.

Ramseys were protecting themselves against being thought to have violently raped, sodomized, beaten and choked their 6 year old. Being suspected of that, you sure WOULD get a lawyer, whether innocent or guilty. And if the police were honing in on you, all the more so.
McCanns on the other hand, do not have the excuse for lawyering up and going against this advice unless they were either guilty of disposing of her dead body and possibly being responsible for the death, or guilty of neglecting their children with one coming to the harm of kidnap.

widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 on Sat 25 Sep - 15:32

Every time I look at a pageant child, I can't avoid thinking there's something very wrong in such a family. No one and nothing will convince me this acceptable. Sorry if I offend anyone.

Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7004
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  vikkipollard5 on Sat 25 Sep - 15:50

I agree, dressing up a child in such a sexualized way is inappropriate to me too. But there's a lot of people who do it in the States!!

Bet the Ramsey's wouldn't have left 3 children under the age of 4 unattended in a hotel room while they went out drinking with their buddies 5 nights in a row though......

Remember the "a dingo took my baby" case? The mother did jail time for that, until they discovered, through forensic evidence, that a dingo did take her baby.

Jinvta, The link takes you directly to Dr Martin Roberts: media statement analysis.

vikkipollard5
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 on Sat 25 Sep - 17:07

vikkipollard5 wrote: I agree, dressing up a child in such a sexualized way is inappropriate to me too. But there's a lot of people who do it in the States!!

Bet the Ramsey's wouldn't have left 3 children under the age of 4 unattended in a hotel room while they went out drinking with their buddies 5 nights in a row though......

Remember the "a dingo took my baby" case? The mother did jail time for that, until they discovered, through forensic evidence, that a dingo did take her baby.

Jinvta, The link takes you directly to Dr Martin Roberts: media statement analysis.

There's a lot of people who do it in the States. True. It doesn't make it any better. That is exactly the same argument Pinko used 'We all do it'. In some cultures, thousands of children get married at 8, 9 and 10. It doesn't make it any less questionable (criminal in my view)
I have no idea if they would leave 3 children under the age of four unattended in a hotel room or not. I don't know them. And what I do know about them, is enough for me to really dislike them as parents. And the fact that I really dislike them as parents means just that. Not that they are guilty of anything besides very questionable parental skills. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the fact this little girl was a pageant child was taken into account by the Police in the investigation (and rightly so), especially due to the type of crime which took her life.
I was a teenager when JonBenét was murdered and I followed the case with interest. I'm very sorry for this little girl. For her death but for her life too. Any child deserves so much better.

Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse on Sat 25 Sep - 17:12

Claudia, those images are really awful and I think dressing little girls and making them up like that amounts to abuse. In the first image, the little girl looks cheesed off: her mouth is a straight line. In the second, it's not a smile, it's a grimace and in the third, the child looks like she's about to cry. The fourth looks blank: the child's face is a canvas to be painted on.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18459
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 on Sat 25 Sep - 17:23

AnnaEsse wrote:Claudia, those images are really awful and I think dressing little girls and making them up like that amounts to abuse. In the first image, the little girl looks cheesed off: her mouth is a straight line. In the second, it's not a smile, it's a grimace and in the third, the child looks like she's about to cry. The fourth looks blank: the child's face is a canvas to be painted on.

I have no doubt it is a form of abuse, Anna.
In all the photos, there's an emptiness in the eyes which is heart-breaking. Children's eyes should always be filled with joy and laughter. We all know it's not always like that. But it should be.
I have to confess that until I started getting cable TV (which was when I was about 12 or 13, I think), I had no idea these kind of contests existed the same way I had never heard the expression 'listening service' re childcare before Madeleine vanished. Sometimes, ignores is bliss.

Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat 25 Sep - 17:41

AnnaEsse wrote:Claudia, those images are really awful and I think dressing little girls and making them up like that amounts to abuse. In the first image, the little girl looks cheesed off: her mouth is a straight line. In the second, it's not a smile, it's a grimace and in the third, the child looks like she's about to cry. The fourth looks blank: the child's face is a canvas to be painted on.
NONE of these little girls look very happy to me; in fact you could add the picture of that poor, pink cat to the Hall of Shame. It has the same pissed-off expression.

It is unbelievably cruel to dress up, or dye, a helpless creature against it's will, whether it is a child, a cat or anything else.

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti on Sun 26 Sep - 8:31

poor little face ....

kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13376
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan on Sun 26 Sep - 17:22

Its very big in the South. The kids are in this rather than in sports - they learn nothing but how to be spoiled divas, The mothers, who (at least watcing the show Toddlers in Tiaras on TLC about these pagent kids and moms) all seem to be hugely obese and many are verbally and emotionally abusive to their daughters. I can't imagine putting my kid in a "sport" or activity where it's not the amount of effort or skill they have that says how well they will do, but whether someone else thinks they are pretty. These kids are being set up for bad self esteem - I saw ONE pageant girl who was NINETEEN still dressing up and competing against 6 year olds, it was truly pathetic.
I don't object to the kids being dressed up, if they like doing it, but being tarted up - including fake hair, fake teeth called flippers, fake tan, fake eyelashes - this isn't about what the child looks like, this is about how much the parents will do to cause their child to conform to some idea of "beauty" - the judges only want to see one kind of look and one kind of "personality" which the moms also harp on, having GIVEN their child a "routine" to do, all with the exact same moves as each other, they then talk about how their kid showed her personality. In other words, did she shake her little butt, blow kisses, and basically act like an incipient nymphomaniac, as trained?

Ramsey's could afford this kind of pageant, some of these people live in trailers and their other kids do without and they go into debt, to spend $600 on a dress or tens of thousands on pageants. The kids do it for their mother who seems to have issues about her own esteem getting older or fatter or less pretty. I have seen women with SONS who, because they had no girl, are turning their son into a pageant diva with all that it entails. The kid either likes it and wants to be or thinks he is a girl, or he hates it throws tantrums and the parent is furious with him because he is going to be the next Usher or the next whoever. there are also food issues and I wouldn't be surprised, bet wetting issues because the child has to have control over something.

Only a few of these mothers seems to really enjoy and support the kids, at best they are anxious and overbearing, and at worst, hateful and blaming and what you see on camera is only the tip of the iceberg. it seems to have taken a step down when this became not something that the very wealthy do - like coming out parties - but something that was seen as a way to get your child to be the next Britney Spears, god forbid.

widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  quickfingers on Tue 5 Oct - 12:23

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317866/Police-hope-quiz-JonBenet-Ramsays-brother-beauty-queen-murder-reopened.html#ixzz11TydNeEt

Police have sensationally re-opened the investigation into the 1996 killing of six-year-old beauty pageant princess JonBenet Ramsay in a bid to solve one of America’s most notorious unsolved murder mysteries.

Detectives are reportedly hoping to interview Burke Ramsay, 23, who was just nine when his little sister was found strangled and beaten in the basement of the family’s Colorado home.

Investigators are expected to re-examine the physical evidence in the case to see if modern DNA techniques can throw new light on the fourteen-year riddle.

The little girl was found dead on December 26 1996 nearly eight hours after she was first reported missing.

A two-and-a-half page ransom note was discovered on the kitchen staircase at the Ramsay’s house just hours before JonBenet’s body was discovered beneath a white blanket with a white cord around her neck, her wrists tied above her head and duct tape covering her mouth.

At one point or another, every member of the Ramsay family has come under suspicion.

But Burke and JonBenet’s parents John and Patsy – who died of cancer in 2006 – were officially cleared as suspects two years ago.

Former District Attorney Mary Lacy said evidence suggested the killer was an unknown intruder who broke into the home.

But the failure to crack the case has rankled with police.

Bouldert police chief Mark Beckner would not comment on details of the ongoing probe or identify possible new suspects.

'We continue to work the Ramsay case. This has included additional contacts and interviews with those who may have information pertinent to the case,’ he said, adding that an advisory committee recommended the case warranted a fresh investigation.

Burke Ramsay has been contacted by police, but has not yet been interviewed, said family lawyer Lin Wood.

‘I understand they met with Burke and gave him a card and said, "If you want to talk to us, here’s how you would contact me," he said.

‘But the police have not interviewed Burke.’

Whatever the reason for any type of approach with Burke, it would have nothing to do with the case other than with the reality that John and Burke could help the Boulder police as witnesses in the investigation.

‘For all I know, they have gotten some tip and think Burke could give them some information,’ he added.

Denver defense attorney and legal analyst Scott Robinson said it would be premature to assume that police have new information.

‘But it would be absolutely accurate to say they’re not letting this case lie,’ he said.

quickfingers
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 659
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  fred on Tue 5 Oct - 12:32

Now that is good news. After all these years, and the family were like the McCanns hiring expensive lawyers etc. Let's hope that the case is solved. I think there was much less evidence than in the Mccann case ie. Cadaver dogs picking up the scent. I always thought the family were involved in some way, simply from their behaviour. the boy was maybe feeling very put out and jelous of his "beauty queen" sister and maybe flipped out and went to far, and like the McCanns covered it up for whatever reason.
I'm very pleased!

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4843
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique on Tue 5 Oct - 12:37

fred

I don't know - I saw a re-construction of this on the box long time ago and I could understand why they didn't discover her until later. It would have been possible because the cellar was huge and would have been easy for anyone to hide. I think it is possible that the parents are innocent.

Angelique

Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  fred on Tue 5 Oct - 13:11

Angelique wrote:fred

I don't know - I saw a re-construction of this on the box long time ago and I could understand why they didn't discover her until later. It would have been possible because the cellar was huge and would have been easy for anyone to hide. I think it is possible that the parents are innocent.

Angelique

You might well be right, I'm not saying I'm pleased that the son will be implicated, but, pleased that the truth might come out whoever it was who killed her. There are some similiaritys between the Mccanns and the Ramseys, but there are I suppose with the parents of other missing children. It seems that in cases like this that are so high profile, then feelings run high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_rjoZxuQM Quite interesting to watch, but don't click if you are to sensitive as it contains autopsy photos.

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4843
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Dimsie on Tue 5 Oct - 13:20

I don't know much about the case but am glad the police have no intention of giving up on it, that they're determined to solve it. Advances in forensic science have solved quite a number of old cases by now, so it's encouraging to see the physical evidence is going to be re-examined, as well as more interviews with the brother (hopefully). Let's hope the police are allowed to go about their work without constant complaints and hindrances from interested parties or the authorities.

Dimsie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1476
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique on Tue 5 Oct - 13:30

fred

Thanks for the link and the advice - perhaps I will give it a miss.

Angelique

Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 14:09