Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yet more ads to be screened

2 posters

Go down

Yet more ads to be screened Empty Yet more ads to be screened

Post  malena stool Wed 23 Feb - 20:47

http://www.dailyfinance.co.uk/2011/02/23/ofcom-approves-more-tv-ad-breaks/?icid=main|uk-ws-bb|dl4|link3|http%
Ofcom approves more TV ad breaks
Adrian Holliday
Feb 23rd 2011Text SizeAAAFiled under: Economy, Leisure & hospitality

Prepare for the extra-long ad break. From this Monday, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 will be able to increase the amount of ads shown per 30 minutes from three minutes and thirty seconds to SIX MINUTES for films and dramas. We have witless Ofcom to thank for this doubling of cat food and shampoo hard sell.
More marketing
The changes are part of a year-long trial. It's claimed the changes are needed because it will help broadcasters invest more money in drama. Really? Won't it mean more of chance to simply be rather annoyed? Or simply turn off?

In the past, dramas and films weren't exposed to extended ad-time - up to 12 minutes an hour - that reality and game shows can attract. Product placement is also going to be allowed, though product placement in news and children's programmes will be banned.

TV is often used by people to unwind, relax. This is simply more opportunity to lose focus, get annoyed or channel hop. Unless you like adverts, of course.

Not clear
But the move is also confusing. For example, Ofcom says broadcasters can show two breaks an hour of no more than 3 minutes and 50 seconds each - but one break every 30 minutes of up to six minutes in length is allowed. Clear as mud, isn't it?

Ofcom has attempted to dampen down the move by claiming not all broadcasters will increase the ad time necessarily.

Don't put up with it
Strategies to cope? I suggest more recording of TV programs so you can whoosh through the ads with your finger on fast-forward.

Invent a digibox that eliminates all adverts and flog it to the rest of us. Many of us would be prepared to pay good money for one.

It's an excellent opportunity to watch LESS TV. Get out of the house more. Talk to your neighbours and friends, pick up a book.

Or write to Ofcom and COMPLAIN. Here's the address: Ofcom Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1 9HA

You can also express your annoyance by calling them on 0300 123 3333

Links (opens in new window)
Unquote
There is only so much interest one can show in car insurance, soap pwder and reclaiming mis-sold hire purchase insurance... and I would sooner eat my own eyeballs than go compare after suffering their cretinously stupid advert over the past 18 months! I'm surely going to complain to Ofcom at the above address.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :
Yet more ads to be screened Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Yet more ads to be screened Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Yet more ads to be screened Empty Re: Yet more ads to be screened

Post  Angelique Sat 26 Feb - 15:16

maleana

I so agree with you. We need less 'ads' not more.

I spent yesterday evening on Sky3 counting the amount of adds - and they are at it as well. What they have done is shortened the length of each one to possibly 15 - 20 seconds, with a couple that are longer. But I counted 15 in each break !

Luckily we have a BT thingy which records programs and we do just whiz through the adverts because they are so irritating. Although I do like the one with the chap that did the Pimms advert - I think it's an insurance one, but you see I can't remember simply because I like the acting too much so the advert hasn't worked. It's sort of satirical and I like that.

There is one on at the moment which is unsuitable so I am going to whinge to ADS which I do quite frequently.

I think people will do as you say and just switch off, mute or watch videos and films instead so eventually the advertising wont work - not that I think it does anyway.

Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :
Yet more ads to be screened Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Yet more ads to be screened Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Sat 26 Feb - 19:56

Angelique wrote:maleana

I so agree with you. We need less 'ads' not more.

I spent yesterday evening on Sky3 counting the amount of adds - and they are at it as well. What they have done is shortened the length of each one to possibly 15 - 20 seconds, with a couple that are longer. But I counted 15 in each break !

Luckily we have a BT thingy which records programs and we do just whiz through the adverts because they are so irritating. Although I do like the one with the chap that did the Pimms advert - I think it's an insurance one, but you see I can't remember simply because I like the acting too much so the advert hasn't worked. It's sort of satirical and I like that.

There is one on at the moment which is unsuitable so I am going to whinge to ADS which I do quite frequently.

I think people will do as you say and just switch off, mute or watch videos and films instead so eventually the advertising wont work - not that I think it does anyway.

Whatever happened to the funny adverts? The ones like the Rolo adverts or those Les Dawson used to do? If we must have our entertainment, (such as it is) interrupted at least make the interruptions worth while. How believable is Billy Murray (late of The Bill) trying to sell Lawyers for You? I don't watch the telly nowadays unless it's something really good. I catch up with I player or Home 5 and watch DVDs on the PC.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum