Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed

+5
fred
wjk
POPPY1
Midas
Justiceforallkids
9 posters

Go down

An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed Empty An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed

Post  Guest Thu 3 Mar - 8:00

An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed
Tributes flow in to the British soldier who worked with his dog to defuse bombs in Afghanistan

Richard Norton-Taylor
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 2 March 2011 21.32 GMT

An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed Record10

Liam Tasker training his spaniel, Theo, last month at Camp Bastion, Afghanistan. Photograph: Ministry of Defence/PA
Colleagues said army dog handler Liam Tasker was inseparable from his spaniel, Theo, and so it was to the end. When Lance Corporal Tasker was shot dead in southern Afghanistan, his dog survived the shooting only to suffer a fatal heart attack when it returned to the British base at Camp Bastion.

Tasker, 26, was on patrol north of Nahr-e-Saraj in Helmand province on Tuesday with the spaniel, which was trained to search for arms and explosives, when they were caught in gunfire. He died from his injuries.

He was described as having a "natural empathy with dogs". His successful operations "undoubtedly saved many lives", the Ministry of Defence said. The army has about 400 dogs trained to sniff out explosives and weapons but the ministry declined to say how many were deployed in Afghanistan.

Born in Kirkcaldy, Fife, Tasker joined the Royal Army Veterinary Corps after starting his career as a vehicle mechanic. A member of 1st Military Working Dog Regiment, he was attached to 1st Battalion Irish Guards in Afghanistan.

Major Alexander Turner, officer commanding 2 Company, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, said: "He used to joke that Theo was impossible to restrain but I would say the same about Lance Corporal Tasker. At the most hazardous phase of an advance, he would be at the point of the spear, badgering to get even further forward and work his dog. He met his fate in just such a situation – leading the way that we might be safe."

His girlfriend, Leah Walters, said: "LT never met anyone without touching their lives in some way. The amount of support both I and his family have received in the last day alone pays testament to this."

His family said: "He died a hero doing a job he was immensely passionate about. We are so proud of him and everything he's achieved."

Among many tributes, Liam Fox, the defence secretary, said: "From the accounts made by his military colleagues and his family, I understand that he was a dedicated and highly capable soldier, whose skills in handling dogs were second to none. He and his dog Theo had saved lives and for this, we will be eternally grateful."

A total of 358 UK military personnel have died in Afghanistan since 2001.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/02/army-handler-dog-death-afghanistan?CMP=twt_gu
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed Empty Re: An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed

Post  POPPY1 Thu 3 Mar - 8:08

He was a very brave man who died saving lives along with his canine best friend.

It also reinforces the bond which often exists between human and dog.

So when people question the 'reliability' of the Keela and Eddie, I say one little thing.

GET REAL.
POPPY1
POPPY1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1103
Warning :
An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed Empty Re: An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed

Post  fred Thu 3 Mar - 8:13

In the Mail now.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1362275/Bomb-sniffing-Army-dog-dies-broken-heart-Taliban-kill-master.html

Sad isn't it? Shame these beautiful and talented dogs have been bashed by Team Mccann is there any level they won't sink to?
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :
An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Justiceforallkids Thu 3 Mar - 8:15

POPPY1 wrote:He was a very brave man who died saving lives along with his canine best friend.

So when people question the 'reliability' of the Keela and Eddie, I say one little thing.

GET REAL.

poppy i think the reaction of the dogs to the mcanns hire can was heartbreaking IMO i their own way they knew there was evidence a little girl was most probably kiilled dogs have emotions the samew as we do my own dog is frightned of storms and he needs our human confort etc and he smiles and laughs etc so thats why i have always backed the dogs they know more then they can say imo
Justiceforallkids
Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Justiceforallkids Thu 3 Mar - 8:17

fred wrote:In the Mail now.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1362275/Bomb-sniffing-Army-dog-dies-broken-heart-Taliban-kill-master.html

Sad isn't it? Shame these beautiful and talented dogs have been bashed by Team Mccann is there any level they won't sink to?

the reason team mcann pick on the dogs fred is they cant answer back!!! and its sad bashing something that cant defend themselves imo
Justiceforallkids
Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  POPPY1 Thu 3 Mar - 8:29

Justiceforallkids wrote:
POPPY1 wrote:He was a very brave man who died saving lives along with his canine best friend.

GET REAL.

poppy i think the reaction of the dogs to the mcanns hire can was heartbreaking IMO i their own way they knew there was evidence a little girl was most probably kiilled dogs have emotions the samew as we do my own dog is frightned of storms and he needs our human confort etc and he smiles and laughs etc so thats why i have always backed the dogs they know more then they can say imo

I completely agree Justice. Ours is frightened of the dark and stays as close to us as possible at night.

These dogs were trained well and they new what to do.

END OF.
POPPY1
POPPY1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Thu 3 Mar - 8:50

My deepest sympathy and respect for the courage of Liam Tasker his dog Theo and indeed all our troops in Afghanistan.
In my opinion it is an obscenity that the skills and efforts of all these marvellous life saving animals are called into question by a child neglector who is not fit to clean their kennels out.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  POPPY1 Thu 3 Mar - 8:52

malena stool wrote:My deepest sympathy and respect for the courage of Liam Tasker his dog Theo and indeed all our troops in Afghanistan.
In my opinion it is an obscenity that the skills and efforts of all these marvellous life saving animals are called into question by a child neglector who is not fit to clean their kennels out.

Right on the ball Malena. An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691 An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691 An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691
POPPY1
POPPY1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Midas Thu 3 Mar - 9:19

fred wrote:In the Mail now.

No.

An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 613255
Midas
Midas
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 473
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 3 Mar - 9:21

when our old cat got cremated we went out to the pet crematorium to pick up his little box with the ashes in
and there were three very large, burly policeman there, in full uniform
one was in bits, absolutely in tears and inconsolable
and being comforted by his two friends
he was there to collect the ashes of his beloved police dog which had been put down
he could not have been in a worse state if it had been a family member, to him it probably was
it was a very touching scene and set us all off as well
so the pet crem was full of howling ppl that day!
so i do not underestimate the bond btwn working animals and their handlers
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Midas Thu 3 Mar - 9:22

POPPY1 wrote:
malena stool wrote:My deepest sympathy and respect for the courage of Liam Tasker his dog Theo and indeed all our troops in Afghanistan.

Right on the ball Malena. An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691 An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691 An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691

An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 944533 An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691

Agreed. How dare they continue to slag these dogs off. How bloody dare they.
Midas
Midas
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 473
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  POPPY1 Thu 3 Mar - 9:23

The Famous Grouse wrote:when our old cat got cremated we went out to the pet crematorium to pick up his little box with the ashes in
he was there to collect the ashes of his beloved police dog which had been put down
he could not have been in a worse state if it had been a family member, to him it probably was

Well said Grouse. An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691 An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691 An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691
POPPY1
POPPY1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Thu 3 Mar - 9:23

Hear Hear, ms An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Thu 3 Mar - 9:29

The Famous Grouse wrote:when our old cat got cremated we went out to the pet crematorium to pick up his little box with the ashes in
Well posted Grousie. An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 307691
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Thu 3 Mar - 9:32

OMG l would have been balling my eyes out too.

Over 400 dogs in the army sniffing out arms and explosives they say? Well that's another nail in the Mcs 'dogs don't work' argument. An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 613255
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Thu 3 Mar - 9:49

margaret wrote:

Over 400 dogs in the army sniffing out arms and explosives they say? Well that's another nail in the Mcs 'dogs don't work' argument. An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed 613255

Point is though, the bloody Mccanns make these comments, they are published in the mainstream media, and never disputed by anyone, it like they are untouchable.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Thu 3 Mar - 10:11

fred wrote:
margaret wrote:

Point is though, the bloody Mccanns make these comments, they are published in the mainstream media, and never disputed by anyone, it like they are untouchable.
Only at the moment fred, the past will eventually come up and touch them...
The past always has a happy knack of catching up, they will never have peace of mind.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Thu 3 Mar - 10:49

fred wrote:

I wouldn't say untouchable Fred, l'd say no-one wants to touch them with a bargepole. Big difference.

margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 11 May - 13:40

Liam Tasker: Army dog handler awarded Elizabeth Cross
Princess Royal presents Elizabeth Cross The Elizabeth Cross was presented to L/Cpl Tasker's family by Princess Anne
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Funeral held for Army dog handler
Dead soldier and dog return home
Army handler and dog return home

An inseparable pair: dog collapses and dies after army handler is killed _52650067_011942286-1

The family of an army dog handler who was killed in Afghanistan has been presented with the Elizabeth Cross by the Princess Royal.

Lance Corporal Liam Tasker, 26, from Kirkcaldy, Fife, was killed on 1 March when he was on patrol in Helmand province with springer spaniel Theo.

The sniffer dog, described as a "true friend" to the soldier, died hours later after suffering a seizure.

The Princess presented the medal to the soldier's family at a private ceremony.

It was held at the Defence Animal Centre in Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire.

L/Cpl Tasker's mother, Jane Duffy collected the medal together with his father Ian Tasker, his brother Ian, his two sisters Laura and Nicola, and his girlfriend Leah.

Mrs Duffy said: "It was a great honour to receive the Elizabeth Cross from Princess Anne. It has been a memorable and emotional day, but also a very proud occasion."
'Saved lives'

The Elizabeth Cross was introduced in 2009 to give recognition to bereaved families of soldiers killed on operations, or as a result of terrorist actions since 1 January 1948.

Each individual cross carries the name of the soldier, sailor or craftsman who died serving his country.

L/Cpl Tasker was deployed to Afghanistan on 8 September 2010 as part of the 1st Military Working Dog Regiment.

Having trained as an arms and explosives search dog handler, he was attached to the 1st Battalion Irish Guards on 19 February 2011.

At his funeral in March, Lt Col David Thorpe, commanding officer of the 1st Military Working Dog Regiment, paid tribute to the young man.

He said: "He saved the lives of his friends and colleagues on numerous occasions.

"He was a hero. He knew that he could be and he knew that he was, but he would never tell you himself."

The Defence Animal Centre is responsible for the procurement and training of all military working dogs, and delivering dog handler courses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-13355444
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  mara thon Fri 3 Jun - 22:20

That is so nice and so well deserved too. So many wonderful dogs do amazing work in many different circumstances and they deserve recognigition for their work and their loyalty.
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 3 Jun - 22:28

mara thon wrote:That is so nice and so well deserved too. So many wonderful dogs do amazing work in many different circumstances and they deserve recognigition for their work and their loyalty.

I was so pleased when I saw it. I'm sure that dog knew what had happened to his handler.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Fri 3 Jun - 23:39

carmen

Thank you for putting up the article about a National Hero dog Award for Theo. I too believe he knew what had happened - they do seem to have a "second sense" about things.

What a lovely thing to do.
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 4 Jun - 0:29

Angelique wrote:carmen

Thank you for putting up the article about a National Hero dog Award for Theo. I too believe he knew what had happened - they do seem to have a "second sense" about things.

What a lovely thing to do.

You're welcome.

I'm going to be quite unashamed here - and 'bump' this thread. I think Liam and Theo deserve it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down