Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Appeal For Help To Find Missing Swindon Woman

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Appeal For Help To Find Missing Swindon Woman

Post  Panda on Sun 27 Mar - 22:56

Wiltshire Police have charged a 47-year-old taxi driver with the murder of Sian O'Callaghan.
The 22-year-old PA went missing last weekend after leaving the Swindon nightclub Suju.

Her body was found in a roadside ditch 15 miles east of Swindon, near Uffington, on Thursday.

Christopher Halliwell was arrested on Thursday and charged with one count of murder on Saturday night.

He remains in custody and will appear before magistrates in Swindon on Monday.

Hundreds of tributes have been paid to Miss O'Callaghan

Police are continuing to search a field in Eastleach, Gloucestershire, after the remains of a second body were found.

The body has not been formally identified but police say the bones found so far belong to a woman aged 23-30.

Detective Superintendent Steve Fulcher, who is leading the investigation, said: "It has been indicated to me that this young woman was taken from the Swindon area between 2003 and 2005.

"The remains will now be subject of further forensic laboratory tests and a post-mortem examination.

Laterns are released in memory of Sian

"The police search at the site is expected to continue for the time being."

Hundreds of Chinese lanterns were released into the night sky on Saturday night in Sian's memory.

A message posted on the Lighting Up The Sky for Sian Facebook page read: "In light of the recent tragic news of the discovery of a body police believe to be Sian's, we see it fit to change the purpose of this gathering.

"We are, sadly, no longer lighting Sian's way home, we are lighting the sky to show that a life has been taken, but will not be forgotten."

People also wrote messages of condolence on a sign at the ground.

http://news.sky.com/skynews

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells on Mon 28 Mar - 2:01

It looks like the police must have questioned Halliwell before putting him under surveillance....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3494072/Cops-saw-Sian-OCallaghan-suspects-bonfire.html

Cops saw Sian suspect’s bonfire By MIKE SULLIVAN, Crime Editor

Published: Today
HIDDEN cops watched as double-killing suspect Chris Halliwell burnt mystery items on a bonfire the night before his arrest.
Halliwell, 47 - charged with murdering clubber Sian O'Callaghan, 22 - had been tailed to a wood while under surveillance.

A second woman's body was found in a field on Saturday.

Halliwell, of Swindon, Wilts, was the prime suspect in Sian's disappearance when officers followed him last Wednesday night. At that time they hoped to find her alive.

Victim ... Sian O'Callaghan, 22They saw him light a fire among the trees but decided not to move in. It is not known what Halliwell burnt. But police are thought to be still looking for items of Sian's clothing and her handbag.

A source said: "The officers had to stand back and make sure they were not seen. But they were clearly suspicious and became very concerned when they saw a bonfire leap into life.

"All that remained afterwards was ashes. It led directly to the decision to arrest him the next day."

During his surveillance, police followed cabbie Halliwell to Heathrow airport, where it is thought he picked up a fare.

On his way he stopped to make a call on his mobile phone.

Undercover officers got so close to him that they were able to hear him telling someone how he had been questioned over Sian's disappearance.

Halliwell was held on Thursday. Sian vanished after leaving a Swindon club early last Saturday.

He is due before magistrates in the town today, charged with her murder.

He is alleged to have taken police to a spot near Uffington, Oxfordshire, where her body was found on Thursday.

Sian's body is thought to have been moved from the place where it was originally hidden late on Tuesday night or in the early hours of Wednesday.

Early searches concentrated on nearby Savernake Forest, where her last phone signal was traced.

When arrested, Halliwell is alleged to have asked cops: "How did you catch me? Was it the gamekeeper?"

Gamekeepers in the area have been asked if they saw anything. And police have asked poachers to come forward.

Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1329
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret on Mon 28 Mar - 12:59

Wintabells wrote:
When arrested, Halliwell is alleged to have asked cops: "How did you catch me? Was it the gamekeeper?"

Gamekeepers in the area have been asked if they saw anything. And police have asked poachers to come forward.

Does he think he was seen by a gamekeeper then?

Words fail me, there must be a law introduced so that the police could have approached to see what he was burning.

margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk on Mon 28 Mar - 17:35

This is so sad. Sians dad.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-Sian-OCallaghan-Dads-Tribute-To-Beautiful-Daughter-As-Christopher-Halliwell-Is-Remanded/Article/201103415961314?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15961314_Video%2C_Sian_OCallaghan%3A_Dads_Tribute_To_Beautiful_Daughter_As_Christopher_Halliwell_Is_Remanded

wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda on Mon 28 Mar - 17:51

wjk wrote:This is so sad. Sians dad.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-Sian-OCallaghan-Dads-Tribute-To-Beautiful-Daughter-As-Christopher-Halliwell-Is-Remanded/Article/201103415961314?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15961314_Video%2C_Sian_OCallaghan%3A_Dads_Tribute_To_Beautiful_Daughter_As_Christopher_Halliwell_Is_Remanded

wjk Yes I agree and to think Sian knew Halliwell and his children? Assuming Sian had had quite a few drinks with her Friends since it was 3am I
understand she told them she would be back so maybe went outside for a ciggie and maybe Halliwell was cruising outside the Club for business.
What possessed him to attack her ? Someone known to him? There was nothing sinister about him according to Neighbours.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Krisy22 on Mon 28 Mar - 17:53

margaret wrote:
Wintabells wrote:

Does he think he was seen by a gamekeeper then?

Words fail me, there must be a law introduced so that the police could have approached to see what he was burning.

I agree, I wonder if he was burning the handbag they keep asking the public to look out for. Seems strange what ever it was, unless at that stage they thought there was still hope that Sian was alive.

Krisy22
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3380
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Krisy22 on Mon 28 Mar - 17:59

Yes it is sad Wjk.
It must be horrendous for them. Imagine your lovely girl going out one night and all this occurring, it must be a nightmare.

Krisy22
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk on Mon 28 Mar - 21:01

Panda wrote:

wjk Yes I agree and to think Sian knew Halliwell and his children? Assuming Sian had had quite a few drinks with her Friends since it was 3am I
understand she told them she would be back so maybe went outside for a ciggie and maybe Halliwell was cruising outside the Club for business.
What possessed him to attack her ? Someone known to him? There was nothing sinister about him according to Neighbours.
Hi panda
Yes, if she knew him she probably wouldn't think twice about going over for a chat. The neighbours say one thing, his sister another? And it looks like it's not his first murder, I'm wondering how many there may be?
What a waste of two young womens lives, for no reason.

wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue 29 Mar - 12:22

Update: Sian O'Callaghan - 29/03/2011

Tuesday, 29 March 2011 10:59
We can confirm that work to recover a second body at East Leach has been completed and the scene released. Forensic investigations to establish the identity of this young woman are ongoing using DNA and the speed of this identification process relies on whether or not we have her DNA on a database. If we don’t get a DNA match further investigations will need to be carried out which may take some time.

The public can be assured that we will of course inform the victim’s family wherever possible before releasing any details in the media.

http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2891:update-sian-ocallaghan-29032011&catid=43:news&Itemid=50

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda on Tue 29 Mar - 12:59

[quote="carmen"]

Update: Sian O'Callaghan - 29/03/2011

Tuesday, 29 March 2011 10:59
We can confirm that work to recover a second body at East Leach has been completed and the scene released. Forensic investigations to establish the identity of this young woman are ongoing using DNA and the speed of this identification process relies on whether or not we have her DNA on a database. If we don’t get a DNA match further investigations will need to be carried out which may take some time.

The public can be assured that we will of course inform the victim’s family wherever possible before releasing any details in the media.

http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2891:update-sian-ocallaghan-29032011&catid=43:news&Itemid=50[/quote

Thanks Carmen, at least now, when the victim is identified her Family will be glad the mystery of her disappearance is solved.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue 5 Apr - 12:47

@BBCBreaking

Remains found at second site by police investigating murder of Sian O'Callaghan identified as those of Becky Godden

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue 5 Apr - 12:52

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy on Tue 5 Apr - 19:06

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE,CARMEN

Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 7739
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells on Tue 5 Apr - 19:19

I have a horrible feeling this guy has murdered more than twice.

Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse on Tue 5 Apr - 20:06

Wintabells wrote:I have a horrible feeling this guy has murdered more than twice.

I have that feeling too. Someone who kills like that doesn't usually have a long gap between killings unless they've been in prison.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18464
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells on Tue 5 Apr - 20:19

Yes, it's unusual, apparently. But I'm wondering why he was so 'helpful' about the two victims we know about if there are more. From what I've read, he seems to have been based in the Swindon area for most, if not all, of his life and there's been no mention of prison so if he has killed others one would think the Swindon police would suspect the same. Plus, didn't the police say they only had one missing woman on their files (the Vietnamese woman) whereas now, it seems, there was another in Rebecca Godden.

There's more information about the second victim here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/05/tragic-fate-becky-godden-edwards

Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed 6 Apr - 14:06

SWINDON MURDERS: Did you know Becky Godden-Edwards
12:05pm Wednesday 6th April 2011

DETECTIVES have identified the human remains found in Eastleach last month as Becky Godden-Edwards on what would have been her 29th birthday.

Officers will now quiz mini-cab driver Christopher Halliwell, 47, of Ashbury Avenue, Nythe, about Becky’s murder as he remains in custody charged with the murder of 22-year-old Sian O’Callaghan.

The bones of the petite blonde were recovered from a field in Eastleach on Friday, March 25 and since then teams of forensic investigators have been sifting the national DNA database for possible matches.

The search was part of the investigation into the disappearance and murder of office worker Sian, whose body was discovered on March 24 from a ditch in Uffington, Oxfordshire.

Police were led to believe Becky’s remains had been at the site at Baxter’s Farm, in Gloucestershire, since between 2003 and 2005.

Despite being reported missing in 2007, Becky’s mum Karen Edwards still held hope that her daughter would be found as recently as July 2010 when she posted on a missing person website.

Yesterday, a joint family statement simply said: “The family is completely devastated by the news of Becky’s death and at this time wish to be left alone to grieve for our beautiful daughter.”

On the website Missingyou.net, Mrs Edwards had posted: “Karen Edwards is trying to trace the location of Becky, she has been missing for 8 years, and I need to contact her urgent or just to know that she is ok! can anyone help? She could also be in the Bristol area.”

The man leading the investigation into both deaths, Detective Superintendent Steve Fulcher, said the identification had been a painstaking task.

Mr Fulcher told a press conference at Gablecross Police Station yesterday: “As you are aware as part of the investigation into the death of Sian O’Callaghan, we searched a field in Eastleach in Gloucestershire where we discovered human remains.

“We have been searching the DNA database. We developed a profile from the bones recovered and we were able to provide a positive match.

“Those remains were of Rebecca Godden. It was her birthday on Monday and she would have been 29 years old.

“As you can appreciate her family and loved ones are trying to come to terms with this devastating news and we are affording them all the support we can at this stage.

“I’m sure you will join me in extending your deepest sympathy to them at this very difficult time and will appreciate that they have asked that people respect their privacy to allow them to grieve in peace.

“I can tell you that Rebecca was from the Shaw area of Swindon and she was reported to the National Missing Persons Helpline in 2007 after her family became concerned when they hadn’t had contact with her for some time.”

Mr Fulcher added that it was not clear how Becky was killed, but he thanked forensic investigators for their speed in identifying her.

“At this stage it isn’t clear how Rebecca came to meet her death but further work is on going to help us determine this,” he said.

“Inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances surrounding Becky’s disappearance and subsequent death.

“Part of these inquiries will be to speak to Chris Halliwell and then we will make a decision on any appropriate steps to take.

“What I am appealing for is for anyone who knew Rebecca Godden from 2002 onwards, who may have information to help the investigation, if they would please contact the police or indeed Crimestoppers.

"What I am interested in is Becky’s movements, her friends, her lifestyle, any small piece of information which may help me piece back together how she came to meet her death.

“I would like to thank our forensic teams and Dr James Walker and his team at LGC Forensics for giving us such a rapid and accurate identification.”

Anyone with any information should contact Wiltshire Police on 0845 408 7000 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/8957317.SWINDON_MURDERS__Did_you_know_Becky_Godden_Edwards/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells on Wed 6 Apr - 17:22

Police are looking at other possible victims:

http://swns.com/sian-and-becky-murders-wiltshire-police-examine-five-other-cases-061631.html

Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Krisy22 on Wed 6 Apr - 17:31

Wintabells wrote:Police are looking at other possible victims:

http://swns.com/sian-and-becky-murders-wiltshire-police-examine-five-other-cases-061631.html

Thank you Winterbells. My goodness, had a feeling that was going to happen.

Krisy22
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells on Wed 6 Apr - 17:51

Yep, we could have another Peter Tobin on our hands....

Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse on Wed 6 Apr - 18:37

Wintabells wrote:Police are looking at other possible victims:

That doesn't surprise me in the least.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18464
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells on Tue 12 Apr - 7:42

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3521962/There-may-be-more-bodies-says-cabbie-Chris-Halliwell.html

Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 23:54

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down