Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  quickfingers on Fri 13 May - 20:35

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13395885

Downing Street and the Metropolitan Police have rejected criticism of the decision to review evidence in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

David Cameron asked the Met to "bring their expertise" to the case, after a request by Madeleine's parents.

Met Police Authority member Lord Harris said Mr Cameron's move undermined the independence of the police.

But Downing Street and Scotland Yard have both denied the government ordered the force to investigate.

Madeleine went missing aged three on holiday in Portugal in May 2007.

Labour peer Lord Harris said Mr Cameron's action "drives a coach and horses through the draft protocol issued by the Home Office designed to preserve the operational independence of the police."

'Exceptional'

Writing in his blog, Lord Harris said that while it was desirable to find out what had happened to Madeleine McCann, he did not think senior leadership at the Met would be happy.

"It again embroils their officers in a high-profile investigation, where the chances of success are unclear, and which will divert limited investigative resources away from other matters."

Continue reading the main story
“
Start Quote
It's a fairly short step from there to telling the police they have got to investigate this rather than that”
End Quote
Lord Bradshaw

Lib Dem peer

Madeleine McCann inquiry timeline
A Downing Street spokesman said the prime minister and Home Secretary Theresa May asked the Met to get involved because the case was "exceptional".

Mrs May, whose department will pay for the review, said it was hoped the force "can bring a new perspective to the case".

Speaking in Dublin on Friday evening Madeleine's father Gerry McCann welcomed the government's involvement, calling it a "positive step".

"The Met has excellent expertise in reviewing major crimes so we are very pleased and we'd like to thank David Cameron for his intervention", he said.

'PR exercise'

He added: "We were told that no-one would look at it because it's a Portuguese investigation so I'm glad to see the government has taken a more pro-active role."

Lord Bradshaw, a Liberal Democrat peer and vice-chairman of Thames Valley Police Authority, described Mr Cameron's intervention as a "PR exercise" and said it compromised police independence.

"What appears on the face of it to be fairly innocuous orders, it's a fairly short step from there to telling the police they have got to investigate this rather than that."


Click to play
McCann spokesman Clarence Mitchell: "It's a glimmer of hope, it's movement for the first time in many years"
Scotland Yard denied that it had been ordered to investigate.

It said Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson "received a request, which he considered, and took the decision that on balance it was the right thing to do".

A Downing Street spokesman also denied police had been directed on an operational matter: "It was done at the request of the Home Secretary. It was agreed by Sir Paul Stephenson. That is not a direction."

The official Portuguese inquiry into Madeleine's disappearance ended in July 2008 although private detectives hired by the McCanns have continued the search.

In an open letter in the Sun on Thursday, Madeleine's parents had asked Mr Cameron to launch an "independent, transparent and comprehensive" review of all information relating to the disappearance of their daughter.

In his reply, published by the same newspaper on Friday, Mr Cameron said their ordeal was "every parent's worst nightmare".

He wrote: "I simply cannot imagine the pain you must have experienced over these four agonising years, and the strength and determination you have shown throughout is remarkable."



quickfingers
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 659
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  Annabel on Fri 13 May - 20:46

http://www.abola.pt/mundos/ver.aspx?id=263036


Maddie Case: PJ Denies Involvement in British Investigation Abola

Madeleine McCann
17:53 - 13-05-2011
Thanks to Ines for translation

The PJ has this Friday denied the existence of a collaboration with the British police in the investigation task into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the English girl who was last seen in Praia da Luz, Algarve. The information was provided by Renascenca.

Remember that on Thursday night, the international media told of the British government's decision to order new efforts in the investigation of the Maddie case. However, no information was given about an involvement of the Portuguese authorities in the case, only the participation of Scotland yard.

Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Location : Europe
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  tanszi on Fri 13 May - 20:52

Oops methinks Mr. Cameron is going to use the bail out money as a bludgeon to get Portugal to agree. He is trying to politicise the whole case. (like we didnt know politics already featured in it)

Can someone tell me what is so exceptional about this case except the fact that three children with ages totalling 7 were left in an allegedly unlocked apartment in a foreign country whilst the parents went on the lash and the eldest child disappeared?

tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3098
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  princess_leia on Fri 13 May - 20:53

Thanks for the articles.

So what is going on then? Anyone care to clarrie-fy the situation atm please.

princess_leia
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 421
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  tanszi on Fri 13 May - 20:59

I think Mr Cameron has opened his mouth and put his foot in it,

tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3098
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  jinvta on Fri 13 May - 21:00

Who issued the press release in the first place? Surely someone needs to get to the bottom of this matter and someone should be fired over this. You can't just make up news as you see fit and then have it splattered all over the headlines and get away with it. What is going on?

jinvta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1065
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  lea on Fri 13 May - 21:03

jinvta wrote:Who issued the press release in the first place? Surely someone needs to get to the bottom of this matter and someone should be fired over this. You can't just make up news as you see fit and then have it splattered all over the headlines and get away with it. What is going on?

like to know what is going on myself,im gobsmacked at the moment.

lea
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 640
Age : 48
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  Annabel on Fri 13 May - 21:41

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/may/13/madeleine-mccann-case-pm-police?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fmedia%2Frss+%28Media%29

Madeleine McCann case: PM criticised for calling in Metropolitan police

Peers describe David Cameron's intervention in case – after Kate McCann's open letter to Sun – as PR exercise



* Sandra Laville, crime correspondent
* guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 May 2011 20.51 BST
* Article history

David Cameron
The PM has been accused of bowing to the Murdoch empire over his decision to intervene in the Madeleine McCann case. Photograph: Carl Court/AFP/Getty Images

Two peers who are members of police watchdogs warned that the independence of the Metropolitan police was under threat after the prime minister brought in Scotland Yard to review the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Insiders at the Yard played down any suggestions that their role could quickly lead to any breakthrough in the case, saying that the review, which will cost millions of pounds, could take months or even years.

Labour's Lord Harris, a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority, accused David Cameron of bowing to Rupert Murdoch's empire, referring to Cameron's decision to call in Scotland Yard after Kate McCann wrote an open letter in the Sun asking for his help.

Lord Bradshaw, the Liberal Democrat peer and vice-chairman of Thames Valley Police Authority, added his voice to the criticism, describing the prime minister's intervention as a PR exercise. "I am mightily worried about the politicisation of the police force. What appears on the face of it to be fairly innocuous orders – it's a fairly short step from there to telling the police they have got to investigate this rather than that," Bradshaw said.

Harris said: "This ... is entirely predictable in terms of the 'pulling power' of News International on Government policy ... However, his [Cameron's] intervention drives a coach and horses through the draft protocol issued by the Home Office designed to preserve the operational independence of the police."

Writing on his blog, the peer added: "I can imagine that the senior leadership of the Metropolitan police are not exactly happy about this. It again embroils their officers in a high-profile investigation, where the chances of success are unclear, and which will divert limited investigative resources away from other matters."

In a statement Scotland Yard denied it had been ordered to review the abduction. It said that the commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, received a request which he considered and decided on balance that it was the best course to take.

Kerry Needham, the mother of Ben Needham, the British toddler who was abducted on Crete 20 years ago, said: "I am pleased for the McCann family and look forward to the government offering the same support to all the families with children missing abroad."

If the Yard is given access to all the Portuguese documentation the first task will be to have it translated. As part of the review the Met's team – likely to be led by a detective chief inspector within the homicide command – will also examine files held by Leicestershire police, the McCanns' home force, who gave some help to the Portuguese officers. There is also documentation from a number of private investigators hired by the McCanns over the last four years.

Although there was irritation among senior figures at Scotland Yard at being bounced into an inquiry, one source predicted that it would be quickly overtaken by a desire to do the best job possible. "It was political. But at the end of the day a child is missing."

The Met has a copy of a review into Madeleine's disappearance completed by Jim Gamble, when he was head of Ceop, the child exploitation and online protection centre. It is understood to recommend that Scotland Yard be brought in to work with the Portuguese police on a review, but his report has been sitting on the home secretary's desk for more than a year until this week with no action taken.

Scotland Yard released the letter to Sir Paul from Theresa May on Thursday. In it the home secretary says diplomatic contact has been made with the Portuguese police, who have indicated they would co-operate with Scotland Yard. But she made clear it would be down to the Yard to negotiate the details.

The McCanns repeated their thanks to Cameron, saying the Met's involvement was a positive step.

Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Location : Europe
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  fuzeta on Fri 13 May - 22:07

Annabel wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/may/13/madeleine-mccann-case-pm-police?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fmedia%2Frss+%28Media%29

Madeleine McCann case: PM criticised for calling in Metropolitan police

Peers describe David Cameron's intervention in case – after Kate McCann's open letter to Sun – as PR exercise



* Sandra Laville, crime correspondent
* guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 May 2011 20.51 BST
* Article history

David Cameron
The PM has been accused of bowing to the Murdoch empire over his decision to intervene in the Madeleine McCann case. Photograph: Carl Court/AFP/Getty Images




Two peers who are members of police watchdogs warned that the independence of the Metropolitan police was under threat after the prime minister brought in Scotland Yard to review the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Insiders at the Yard played down any suggestions that their role could quickly lead to any breakthrough in the case, saying that the review, which will cost millions of pounds, could take months or even years.

Labour's Lord Harris, a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority, accused David Cameron of bowing to Rupert Murdoch's empire, referring to Cameron's decision to call in Scotland Yard after Kate McCann wrote an open letter in the Sun asking for his help.

Lord Bradshaw, the Liberal Democrat peer and vice-chairman of Thames Valley Police Authority, added his voice to the criticism, describing the prime minister's intervention as a PR exercise. "I am mightily worried about the politicisation of the police force. What appears on the face of it to be fairly innocuous orders – it's a fairly short step from there to telling the police they have got to investigate this rather than that," Bradshaw said.

Harris said: "This ... is entirely predictable in terms of the 'pulling power' of News International on Government policy ... However, his [Cameron's] intervention drives a coach and horses through the draft protocol issued by the Home Office designed to preserve the operational independence of the police."

Writing on his blog, the peer added: "I can imagine that the senior leadership of the Metropolitan police are not exactly happy about this. It again embroils their officers in a high-profile investigation, where the chances of success are unclear, and which will divert limited investigative resources away from other matters."

In a statement Scotland Yard denied it had been ordered to review the abduction. It said that the commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, received a request which he considered and decided on balance that it was the best course to take.

Kerry Needham, the mother of Ben Needham, the British toddler who was abducted on Crete 20 years ago, said: "I am pleased for the McCann family and look forward to the government offering the same support to all the families with children missing abroad."

If the Yard is given access to all the Portuguese documentation the first task will be to have it translated. As part of the review the Met's team – likely to be led by a detective chief inspector within the homicide command – will also examine files held by Leicestershire police, the McCanns' home force, who gave some help to the Portuguese officers. There is also documentation from a number of private investigators hired by the McCanns over the last four years.

Although there was irritation among senior figures at Scotland Yard at being bounced into an inquiry, one source predicted that it would be quickly overtaken by a desire to do the best job possible. "It was political. But at the end of the day a child is missing."

The Met has a copy of a review into Madeleine's disappearance completed by Jim Gamble, when he was head of Ceop, the child exploitation and online protection centre. It is understood to recommend that Scotland Yard be brought in to work with the Portuguese police on a review, but his report has been sitting on the home secretary's desk for more than a year until this week with no action taken.

Scotland Yard released the letter to Sir Paul from Theresa May on Thursday. In it the home secretary says diplomatic contact has been made with the Portuguese police, who have indicated they would co-operate with Scotland Yard. But she made clear it would be down to the Yard to negotiate the details.

The McCanns repeated their thanks to Cameron, saying the Met's involvement was a positive step.

Who on earth are these people 'the McCanns, who can cause chaos every which way they choose to go??? They are like a monkey on peoples backs. Once there you cannot get rid of them. How much longer can they keep getting away with making everyone dance to their tune?

fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4182
Location : Beautiful Staffordshire
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  lea on Fri 13 May - 22:11

fuzeta wrote:
Annabel wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/may/13/madeleine-mccann-case-pm-police?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fmedia%2Frss+%28Media%29

Madeleine McCann case: PM criticised for calling in Metropolitan police

Peers describe David Cameron's intervention in case – after Kate McCann's open letter to Sun – as PR exercise



* Sandra Laville, crime correspondent
* guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 May 2011 20.51 BST
* Article history

David Cameron
The PM has been accused of bowing to the Murdoch empire over his decision to intervene in the Madeleine McCann case. Photograph: Carl Court/AFP/Getty Images




Two peers who are members of police watchdogs warned that the independence of the Metropolitan police was under threat after the prime minister brought in Scotland Yard to review the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Insiders at the Yard played down any suggestions that their role could quickly lead to any breakthrough in the case, saying that the review, which will cost millions of pounds, could take months or even years.

Labour's Lord Harris, a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority, accused David Cameron of bowing to Rupert Murdoch's empire, referring to Cameron's decision to call in Scotland Yard after Kate McCann wrote an open letter in the Sun asking for his help.

Lord Bradshaw, the Liberal Democrat peer and vice-chairman of Thames Valley Police Authority, added his voice to the criticism, describing the prime minister's intervention as a PR exercise. "I am mightily worried about the politicisation of the police force. What appears on the face of it to be fairly innocuous orders – it's a fairly short step from there to telling the police they have got to investigate this rather than that," Bradshaw said.

Harris said: "This ... is entirely predictable in terms of the 'pulling power' of News International on Government policy ... However, his [Cameron's] intervention drives a coach and horses through the draft protocol issued by the Home Office designed to preserve the operational independence of the police."

Writing on his blog, the peer added: "I can imagine that the senior leadership of the Metropolitan police are not exactly happy about this. It again embroils their officers in a high-profile investigation, where the chances of success are unclear, and which will divert limited investigative resources away from other matters."

In a statement Scotland Yard denied it had been ordered to review the abduction. It said that the commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, received a request which he considered and decided on balance that it was the best course to take.

Kerry Needham, the mother of Ben Needham, the British toddler who was abducted on Crete 20 years ago, said: "I am pleased for the McCann family and look forward to the government offering the same support to all the families with children missing abroad."

If the Yard is given access to all the Portuguese documentation the first task will be to have it translated. As part of the review the Met's team – likely to be led by a detective chief inspector within the homicide command – will also examine files held by Leicestershire police, the McCanns' home force, who gave some help to the Portuguese officers. There is also documentation from a number of private investigators hired by the McCanns over the last four years.

Although there was irritation among senior figures at Scotland Yard at being bounced into an inquiry, one source predicted that it would be quickly overtaken by a desire to do the best job possible. "It was political. But at the end of the day a child is missing."

The Met has a copy of a review into Madeleine's disappearance completed by Jim Gamble, when he was head of Ceop, the child exploitation and online protection centre. It is understood to recommend that Scotland Yard be brought in to work with the Portuguese police on a review, but his report has been sitting on the home secretary's desk for more than a year until this week with no action taken.

Scotland Yard released the letter to Sir Paul from Theresa May on Thursday. In it the home secretary says diplomatic contact has been made with the Portuguese police, who have indicated they would co-operate with Scotland Yard. But she made clear it would be down to the Yard to negotiate the details.

The McCanns repeated their thanks to Cameron, saying the Met's involvement was a positive step.

Who on earth are these people 'the McCanns, who can cause chaos every which way they choose to go??? They are like a monkey on peoples backs. Once there you cannot get rid of them. How much longer can they keep getting away with making everyone dance to their tune?

im getting really angry and p _ _ _ _ d off with this case,its about time these 2 were told to f off and let them do their jobs without any interferance for gods sake.

lea
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 640
Age : 48
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  fuzeta on Fri 13 May - 22:19

lea wrote:
fuzeta wrote:
Annabel wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/may/13/madeleine-mccann-case-pm-police?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fmedia%2Frss+%28Media%29

Madeleine McCann case: PM criticised for calling in Metropolitan police

Peers describe David Cameron's intervention in case – after Kate McCann's open letter to Sun – as PR exercise



* Sandra Laville, crime correspondent
* guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 May 2011 20.51 BST
* Article history

David Cameron
The PM has been accused of bowing to the Murdoch empire over his decision to intervene in the Madeleine McCann case. Photograph: Carl Court/AFP/Getty Images




Two peers who are members of police watchdogs warned that the independence of the Metropolitan police was under threat after the prime minister brought in Scotland Yard to review the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Insiders at the Yard played down any suggestions that their role could quickly lead to any breakthrough in the case, saying that the review, which will cost millions of pounds, could take months or even years.

Labour's Lord Harris, a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority, accused David Cameron of bowing to Rupert Murdoch's empire, referring to Cameron's decision to call in Scotland Yard after Kate McCann wrote an open letter in the Sun asking for his help.

Lord Bradshaw, the Liberal Democrat peer and vice-chairman of Thames Valley Police Authority, added his voice to the criticism, describing the prime minister's intervention as a PR exercise. "I am mightily worried about the politicisation of the police force. What appears on the face of it to be fairly innocuous orders – it's a fairly short step from there to telling the police they have got to investigate this rather than that," Bradshaw said.

Harris said: "This ... is entirely predictable in terms of the 'pulling power' of News International on Government policy ... However, his [Cameron's] intervention drives a coach and horses through the draft protocol issued by the Home Office designed to preserve the operational independence of the police."

Writing on his blog, the peer added: "I can imagine that the senior leadership of the Metropolitan police are not exactly happy about this. It again embroils their officers in a high-profile investigation, where the chances of success are unclear, and which will divert limited investigative resources away from other matters."

In a statement Scotland Yard denied it had been ordered to review the abduction. It said that the commissioner, Sir Paul Stephenson, received a request which he considered and decided on balance that it was the best course to take.

Kerry Needham, the mother of Ben Needham, the British toddler who was abducted on Crete 20 years ago, said: "I am pleased for the McCann family and look forward to the government offering the same support to all the families with children missing abroad."

If the Yard is given access to all the Portuguese documentation the first task will be to have it translated. As part of the review the Met's team – likely to be led by a detective chief inspector within the homicide command – will also examine files held by Leicestershire police, the McCanns' home force, who gave some help to the Portuguese officers. There is also documentation from a number of private investigators hired by the McCanns over the last four years.

Although there was irritation among senior figures at Scotland Yard at being bounced into an inquiry, one source predicted that it would be quickly overtaken by a desire to do the best job possible. "It was political. But at the end of the day a child is missing."

The Met has a copy of a review into Madeleine's disappearance completed by Jim Gamble, when he was head of Ceop, the child exploitation and online protection centre. It is understood to recommend that Scotland Yard be brought in to work with the Portuguese police on a review, but his report has been sitting on the home secretary's desk for more than a year until this week with no action taken.

Scotland Yard released the letter to Sir Paul from Theresa May on Thursday. In it the home secretary says diplomatic contact has been made with the Portuguese police, who have indicated they would co-operate with Scotland Yard. But she made clear it would be down to the Yard to negotiate the details.

The McCanns repeated their thanks to Cameron, saying the Met's involvement was a positive step.

Who on earth are these people 'the McCanns, who can cause chaos every which way they choose to go??? They are like a monkey on peoples backs. Once there you cannot get rid of them. How much longer can they keep getting away with making everyone dance to their tune?

im getting really angry and p _ _ _ _ d off with this case,its about time these 2 were told to f off and let them do their jobs without any interferance for gods sake.

I think we are all so p----d off with it lea. I just watched the news and apparently the Met is going to get a special grant to work on this case. More of our hard earned money going down the drain because the McCanns desire it. I feel like sending them a bill. We should all do it, they can pay us back out of the fund. I am so mad I feel like using a bit of Kate's language tonight but I have a little more decorum!

fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4182
Location : Beautiful Staffordshire
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  tanszi on Fri 13 May - 22:20

I think that Ben Needham's Mum's response was very dignified. Now Mr. Cameron will you put your weight behind an investigation in to the disappearance of Ben Needham, the circumstances of which are also exceptional.

tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3098
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  fedrules on Fri 13 May - 23:00

What amazes me most is that a PR man like the PM has got himself into a position where it appears he's been pressured by The Sun and the McCanns !

fedrules
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1282
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-10-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  Karen on Fri 13 May - 23:09

tanszi wrote:Oops methinks Mr. Cameron is going to use the bail out money as a bludgeon to get Portugal to agree. He is trying to politicise the whole case. (like we didnt know politics already featured in it)

Can someone tell me what is so exceptional about this case except the fact that three children with ages totalling 7 were left in an allegedly unlocked apartment in a foreign country whilst the parents went on the lash and the eldest child disappeared?


What Kate has written in her book warrants the Met involvement - GUARANTEED, the Police received numerous call, I for one called

Karen
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 635
Location : The Netherlands
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  lea on Fri 13 May - 23:16

Oops methinks Mr. Cameron is going to use the bail out money as a bludgeon to get Portugal to agree. He is trying to politicise the whole case. (like we didnt know politics already featured in it


i think this is whats on all our minds here,how will we find out if thats the case?
will it be clarrie spinning all over again?

lea
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 640
Age : 48
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  tanszi on Sat 14 May - 0:00

Karen i was responding to Mr Camerons very public acknowledgement of their frustration and anger and his view that the case was exceptional. Ben Needham's disappearance is equally exceptional, as is the case of any missing child who is a UK subject or who disappears or is harmed in the UK

I feel that there are several items in k's book that warrants the attention of the police. imo several people were awaiting the official publication of the book to act. I think that Mr Cameron has overstepped the mark as did G Brown as he is seen to be appeasing the McCs, although i firmly believe that their letter was the opportunity to announce an investigation that in reality was underway.

tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3098
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  Lioned on Sat 14 May - 0:04

"Two members of the House of Lords, Liberal Democrat Lord Bradshaw and Labour's Lord Harris, suggested the Met's involvement was little more than a PR exercise by the government.

A spokesman for Mr Cameron confirmed that he and Theresa May, the home secretary, had asked Met Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson to consider looking at the case, but denied ordering him to review the evidence."

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/863263-david-cameron-didnt-order-met-police-to-review-madeleine-mccann-case#ixzz1MH3Oc9PD


Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Age : 107
Location : Down South
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  FSoares on Sat 14 May - 0:27

Lioned wrote:"Two members of the House of Lords, Liberal Democrat Lord Bradshaw and Labour's Lord Harris, suggested the Met's involvement was little more than a PR exercise by the government.

A spokesman for Mr Cameron confirmed that he and Theresa May, the home secretary, had asked Met Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson to consider looking at the case, but denied ordering him to review the evidence."

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/863263-david-cameron-didnt-order-met-police-to-review-madeleine-mccann-case#ixzz1MH3Oc9PD


Ah! And that's what makes sense, because the Brit PM cannot order a Police Force to review a case in foreign soil.

FSoares
Moderator
Moderator

Female
Number of posts : 1448
Location : Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  tanszi on Sat 14 May - 0:29

Hiya FSoares, there s an update in the Daily Mail about the criticism received by D Camerson decision. Later in the article is clearly states it will be a paper exercise by teh Met with any leads arising being passed to the Portugese Police as the MET does not have a remit to investigate in Portugal.

tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3098
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  widowan on Sat 14 May - 0:47

fedrules wrote:What amazes me most is that a PR man like the PM has got himself into a position where it appears he's been pressured by The Sun and the McCanns !

At least now we know who is really running the UK government. It's the press, as they can make or break a PM with their slanted stories.

widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  widowan on Sat 14 May - 0:51

FSoares wrote:
Lioned wrote:"Two members of the House of Lords, Liberal Democrat Lord Bradshaw and Labour's Lord Harris, suggested the Met's involvement was little more than a PR exercise by the government.

A spokesman for Mr Cameron confirmed that he and Theresa May, the home secretary, had asked Met Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson to consider looking at the case, but denied ordering him to review the evidence."

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/863263-david-cameron-didnt-order-met-police-to-review-madeleine-mccann-case#ixzz1MH3Oc9PD


Ah! And that's what makes sense, because the Brit PM cannot order a Police Force to review a case in foreign soil.

Nor does the PM have the ability to order Met or another UK force. They can suggest or request. If Scotland Yard decides to look into this I think they will be as likely as the PJ were to come to the same conclusion - the parents need to return and cooperate. I hope they say so loudly if that is the finding as well that there is no evidence of an abduction apart from a missing child and that could as easily have been parental involvement as a kidnapper...


widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  jeanie on Sat 14 May - 0:52

so the mccanns knew sir clement freud..who is connected to rupert murdoch who rules the murdoch empire...and the media makes or breaks the govenment....and so on

jeanie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 446
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  FSoares on Sat 14 May - 0:54

tanszi wrote:Hiya FSoares, there s an update in the Daily Mail about the criticism received by D Camerson decision. Later in the article is clearly states it will be a paper exercise by teh Met with any leads arising being passed to the Portugese Police as the MET does not have a remit to investigate in Portugal.

Thanks for the info, tanzsi. Again, that's what makes sense.

FSoares
Moderator
Moderator

Female
Number of posts : 1448
Location : Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  FSoares on Sat 14 May - 0:57

widowan wrote:
FSoares wrote:
Lioned wrote:"Two members of the House of Lords, Liberal Democrat Lord Bradshaw and Labour's Lord Harris, suggested the Met's involvement was little more than a PR exercise by the government.

A spokesman for Mr Cameron confirmed that he and Theresa May, the home secretary, had asked Met Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson to consider looking at the case, but denied ordering him to review the evidence."

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/863263-david-cameron-didnt-order-met-police-to-review-madeleine-mccann-case#ixzz1MH3Oc9PD


Ah! And that's what makes sense, because the Brit PM cannot order a Police Force to review a case in foreign soil.

Nor does the PM have the ability to order Met or another UK force. They can suggest or request. If Scotland Yard decides to look into this I think they will be as likely as the PJ were to come to the same conclusion - the parents need to return and cooperate. I hope they say so loudly if that is the finding as well that there is no evidence of an abduction apart from a missing child and that could as easily have been parental involvement as a kidnapper...


Yes, I agree. If there's something that needs to be done is the reconstruction of the events that night. But an official police reconstruction and not any documentary with a pseudo-reconstruction for TV.

FSoares
Moderator
Moderator

Female
Number of posts : 1448
Location : Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  tanszi on Sat 14 May - 1:00

So Mr Freud and Bob Small seem to have been undermining the investigation of the PJ. Makes me wonder if it was the PJ that leaked information to the media.

tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3098
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Downing St denies giving orders to police on Madeleine

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:51


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum