Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Injunctions and Superinjunctions

+6
fedrules
Lioned
Badboy
pennylane
Angelique
fred
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Injunctions and Superinjunctions - Page 2 Empty Re: Injunctions and Superinjunctions

Post  Lioned Sun 22 May - 21:42

Wicki............

GAGGING ORDER............

See also: 2011 British super-injunction controversy

In May 2011, it was reported in non-UK media sources that Giggs was the identity of CTB in CTB v News Group Newspapers,[77] a footballer who had applied for and obtained an anonymised gagging order in relation to an alleged extra-marital affair with model Imogen Thomas. Giggs had subsequently sued the social networking site Twitter after his identity was revealed by a user who had revealed the identities of other individuals that had taken out so-called "superinjunctions".[78] A blogger for Forbes magazine remarked "Giggs has not heard of the Streisand effect", observing that mentions of his name had significantly increased after the case against Twitter had been reported in the news.[79]

Interesting that one of the so called 'celebs' reported to have spilt the beens on twitter is one 'Frank Lampard'..........
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :
Injunctions and Superinjunctions - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Injunctions and Superinjunctions - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Injunctions and Superinjunctions - Page 2 Empty Re: Injunctions and Superinjunctions

Post  Panda Sun 22 May - 21:58

Lioned wrote:Wicki............

GAGGING ORDER............

See also: 2011 British super-injunction controversy

In May 2011, it was reported in non-UK media sources that Giggs was the identity of CTB in CTB v News Group Newspapers,[77] a footballer who had applied for and obtained an anonymised gagging order in relation to an alleged extra-marital affair with model Imogen Thomas. Giggs had subsequently sued the social networking site Twitter after his identity was revealed by a user who had revealed the identities of other individuals that had taken out so-called "superinjunctions".[78] A blogger for Forbes magazine remarked "Giggs has not heard of the Streisand effect", observing that mentions of his name had significantly increased after the case against Twitter had been reported in the news.[79]

Interesting that one of the so called 'celebs' reported to have spilt the beens on twitter is one 'Frank Lampard'.

Lampard is no angel either, too much money Lioned that"s the problem. Did you know Chelseas Manager has been sacked? Apparently the Board felt he had not measured up to expectations..........
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Injunctions and Superinjunctions - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Injunctions and Superinjunctions - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 23 May - 9:30

Sky News Report

PM: Privacy Rulings 'Unsustainable' & 'Unfair'

The Prime Minister has described privacy rulings against newspapers as "unsustainable" and "unfair" on the Press.

The Prime Minister said the Government will look at the problem but added there was no "simple answer" and ministers needed to take "some time out".

He also indicated that he knew the identity of the footballer linked to a superinjunction surrounding Big Brother star Imogen Thomas "like everybody else", during an interivew on ITV's Daybreak.

Newspapers are expected to return to the High Court later to try and overturn a superinjunction taken out by a Premier League footballer.

It follows the publication of the footballer's name and photograph in a Scottish newspaper, the Sunday Herald.

The married star, referred to as CTB in court documents, is alleged to have had a "sexual relationship" with Miss Thomas.

The newspaper printed his face with his eyes blacked out and the word "censored" written over the top.

Footballer launches legal action against Twitter

Blacked out comments on Twitter

Beneath the picture they wrote: "Everyone knows this is the footballer accused of using the courts to keep allegations of a sexual affair secret."

Mr Cameron said: "It is rather unsustainable, this situation, where newspapers can't print something that clearly everybody else is talking about, but there's a difficulty here because the law is the law and the judges must interpret what the law is.

"What I've said in the past is, the danger is that judgments are effectively writing a new law which is what Parliament is meant to do.

"So I think the Government, Parliament has got to take some time out, have a proper look at this, have a think about what we can do, but I'm not sure there is going to be a simple answer."

Mr Cameron suggested that one route might be to strengthen the Press Complaints
Commission.

In an editorial, the Sunday Herald said it was "unsustainable" for newspapers not to be able to print information which is available on the internet.

The privacy order protecting the footballer's identity has been publicly flouted, especially online where thousands of people have tweeted the man's name on Twitter.

The player's lawyers are now taking action against the social media site and users who may have breached the court order.

The Sunday Herald argued it was not breaking the law by publishing the story because the injunction does not apply in Scotland.

No complaints have yet been made about the paper's story to the Attorney General.

A spokesman for the Attorney General said: "The Attorney is aware of the publication in Scotland which has attracted attention.

"He has received no complaint or referral from any parties or by any court."
Latest Blogs

Why don"t the goverment introduce Privacy Laws like in other Countries?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Mon 23 May - 13:08

I think we may get his name by this evening! Injunctions and Superinjunctions - Page 2 15327 Injunctions and Superinjunctions - Page 2 294124
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  fedrules Mon 23 May - 14:40

Wonder who the TV personality who may be jailed after revealing the footballer's identity on Twitter is ? I have my ideas..could be his name rhymes with 'Lie'..Anybody else agree ?

Panda, I agree that it's not really in the public's interest to know if a football player has been unfaithful to his wife, but I also think the situation has become ridiculous when the mainstream media cannot name someone and social networks can..
fedrules
fedrules
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1282
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  mumbles Mon 23 May - 14:45

fedrules wrote:Wonder who the TV personality who may be jailed after revealing the footballer's identity on Twitter is ? I have my ideas..could be his name rhymes with 'Lie'..Anybody else agree ?

Panda, I agree that it's not really in the public's interest to know if a football player has been unfaithful to his wife, but I also think the situation has become ridiculous when the mainstream media cannot name someone and social networks can..

If he didn't want anyone to find out... he should have stayed faithful to his wife in the first place!

Silly bugger.
mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 23 May - 14:55

fedrules wrote:Wonder who the TV personality who may be jailed after revealing the footballer's identity on Twitter is ? I have my ideas..could be his name rhymes with 'Lie'..Anybody else agree ?

Hi fedrules

A legal expert discussing Twitter said it is only the first person who "outs" someone who can be charged, anyone else posting on the topic is only "gossiping, " the first one is committing libel.

I don"t belong to twitter, nor want to and still say everyone should have a right to Privacy , it"s not just the person "outed" it is his Family who suffer.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 23 May - 17:03

Hi wjk,

I bet it is unbearable for Ryan Giggs and his Family and the Press trying to get a Court Hearing to overturn the superinjunction is quite ddisgusting. I
always thought Ryan Giggs was a nice fella, never in the limlelight, a gentleman on the Pitch, why can"t they leave him alone? There is definitely a need for a Privacy Law it"s not enough to suggest that because you are a Celebrity your Private life should be opened up for the public.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Mon 23 May - 17:07

I feel so sorry for his wife, Panda and his kids. But she'll probably stick with him!
Whats the bet Imogen Thomas has an 'Exclusive' in The Sun in the next few days?
Yes, and like you, I thought he was a nice guy. When this story broke a while back, I didn't believe it could be him, naively, I suppose!
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Mon 23 May - 17:57

Panda wrote:

Hi wjk,

I bet it is unbearable for Ryan Giggs and his Family and the Press trying to get a Court Hearing to overturn the superinjunction is quite ddisgusting. I
always thought Ryan Giggs was a nice fella, never in the limlelight, a gentleman on the Pitch, why can"t they leave him alone? There is definitely a need for a Privacy Law it"s not enough to suggest that because you are a Celebrity your Private life should be opened up for the public.

If you are a celebrity perhaps you shouldn't play away if you don't want it over the newspapers. The fact is the public seem to have an insatiable appetite for knowing the in and outs of celebrity private lives largely fed by the celebrities themselves. Whatever the rights and wrongs it was rather appalling that a high court judge basically accused the woman of blackmail without any opportunity for defending herself to justify continuing the injunction.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 23 May - 18:29

Chris wrote:
Panda wrote:

Hi wjk,

If you are a celebrity perhaps you shouldn't play away if you don't want it over the newspapers. The fact is the public seem to have an insatiable appetite for knowing the in and outs of celebrity private lives largely fed by the celebrities themselves. Whatever the rights and wrongs it was rather appalling that a high court judge basically accused the woman of blackmail without any opportunity for defending herself to justify continuing the injunction.

Chris, I really do deplore the way the British Tabloids are obsessed with gossip and now that most papers are online, the Dailies are fighting for survival
and clutching at anything that will sell more papers. For a small Country like Britain there have always been far too many Dailies and a few of them need to go to the Wall.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Mon 23 May - 19:20

Panda wrote:
Chris wrote:
Panda wrote:

Hi wjk,

Chris, I really do deplore the way the British Tabloids are obsessed with gossip and now that most papers are online, the Dailies are fighting for survival
and clutching at anything that will sell more papers. For a small Country like Britain there have always been far too many Dailies and a few of them need to go to the Wall.

I am not sure it is just the tabloids. Go into any supermarket and look at the magazine racks and see where the growth is in printed matter. Look at any TV listings and see how many of the so-called reality shows dominate the airwaves. The "celebrities" are happy to sell the stories they want to put out so if they wish to use the media they have to take the consequences when the media use them. I also suspect some clever PR johnnie saw there was a market in the creation of psuedo celebrity status which has only added to the influx of z-list, largely talentless "stars" happy to sell their souls for the tittilation of the masses.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 23 May - 19:43

Hi Chris,

The problem is that now in this day and age, anything goes and Celebrities get mauled by the Press when they don"t court them. Someone like
Jordan I would have no sympathy for because she relies on the Press to keep her status, but there are times when people are "outed" for no other reason than Gossip. I watched the CCP meeting with Gerry and Max Mosely giving evidence about libellous comments by the Press. Max Mosely had a fetish for Domanatrix , which had been splashed all over the Press. His Wife and Children suffer the embarassment for what was basically nobody"s business
but theirs.

Gerry claimed he and Kate were accused with their Friends of being swingers, the Press hounded them etc. The difference as I see it, Max did not have
a PR guy giving daily bulletins about him and never courted the Press, the McCanns did so you can"t have it both ways. BTW the CCP is useless and
there shouldn"t be a Newspaper Editor on the committee.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum