Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judiciary irritated at British government

+9
LadyJay
marxman
halfamo
pennylane
tanszi
almostgothic
Autumn
MaryB
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Judiciary irritated at British government Empty Judiciary irritated at British government

Post  Angelique Sat 28 May - 13:40

Brought over from Joana Morais site - with permission - please remove if not ok.

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2011/05/judiciary-irritated-at-british.html

Judiciary irritated at British government 18307910

The English decision to reopen the Maddie case is generating controversy and ill being within the Portuguese Judiciary Police (PJ), even with officers that recall that “the English are not better than the Portuguese”.

The English Prime Minister, David Cameron, decided to have the investigation into the Maddie case reopened, but PJ officers point out that “the English need authorization from the Portuguese authorities to investigate in our country, because they do not have competence to act in Portugal”.

Some high-ranking officers of the British police have equally criticized this decision, arguing that the money that is to be spent is more necessary for other cases. This situation has even been criticized by Lord Harris, a member of the Metropolitan Police, who peremptorily states: "It again embroils their officers in a high-profile investigation, where the chances of success are unclear, and which will divert limited investigative resources away from other matters."

In fact, some 30 English detectives and many million pounds will be involved in the reopening of the investigation into the case of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, in 2007, in Praia da Luz, in the Algarve. The English decision was made after the child’s parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, sent a letter to the English Prime Minister, David Cameron, in which they asked for a review of the case.

According to members of the PJ that were contacted by O Diabo, the reopening of this case questions “the professionalism of our officers, who did everything that was possible to solve the child’s disappearance”, recalling that the English policemen are not better than our own.

Our sources recall that, despite “us having good criminal investigation labs”, a political decision was made to have the tests carried out in English labs, launching the suspicion over whether or not they were manipulated. “We let the English do everything that they want”, they say, recalling that this case “suffered various political influences, due to the missing child’s parents’ social and political status”.

The officers that were contacted by O Diabo recognize that “some mistakes were made in the investigation, namely inside the apartment”, but they recall, in defence of their honour, that there are many identical cases that remain unsolved in England.

The Judiciary Police – they reveal – had already been warned that the Scotland Yard had the intention to analyse the case again. This does not mean, however, that the criminal process, which is under the Public Ministry’s tutelage, will be reopened. This process may be picked up again if new facts that contribute to the investigation’s development are discovered.

PJ Available

Contrary to the general feelings within the PJ, Pedro do Carmo, joint national director at the Judiciary Police, cited by “I” newspaper, states that the PJ is available to cooperate in this case, and committed to finding out the “credible, consistent and relevant factors that may contribute to clarify what happened to Madeleine McCann”.

Meanwhile, British newspaper “The Telegraph” reports that some of the officers that are involved in the investigation into the disappearance of Maddie McCann, four years ago in Praia da Luz, are close to retirement or about to present a voluntary leave, stressing that the English investigators will face major difficulties, because the documents are nearly all in Portuguese.

When the little girl disappeared, on the 3rd of May, 2007, Leicestershire police helped the Portuguese police in the investigation, but in July 2008, the case was archived. Until last week, precisely when Maddie’s mother, Kate McCann, published a book, the Scotland Yard decided to restart the investigation, after the British Prime Minister, David Cameron, intervened.

In her recently published book, Kate McCann, with the purpose to collect money for the “find Madeleine” fund, harshly criticises the Portuguese police system. Kate mentions the slowness that followed the first hours of Maddie’s disappearance, and the proposal that was made by the PJ, for the child’s mother to confess to concealing her daughter’s body, after her death, which was caused by an accident in the apartment in Praia da Luz. She says that this offer was an attempt by the Judiciary Police to make the sentence more benevolent.

In her book, Kate also tells about her suffering and the depression after her daughter’s disappearance, about her suicidal tendencies and the problems that she experienced in her marriage to Gerry.

The book was launched yesterday (May 23rd) in Lisbon, edited in Portugal by Edições Asa, from the Leya group, and by Transworld Publishers in the United Kingdom.

in: O Diabo, 24.05.2011, paper edition only

Last edited by Angelique on Sat 28 May - 13:54; edited 1 time in total
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :
Judiciary irritated at British government Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Judiciary irritated at British government Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Judiciary irritated at British government Empty Re: Judiciary irritated at British government

Post  MaryB Sat 28 May - 13:47

But you could look at it this way. If there was an abductor the chances are that person has struck before and will strike again. So reviewing this case and getting to the truth could save a child from that dangerous person. And not just help the McCanns. So I think the case should be thoroughly reviewed and re-opened until they get to the truth of what happened to Madeleine.
MaryB
MaryB
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1581
Warning :
Judiciary irritated at British government Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Judiciary irritated at British government Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Judiciary irritated at British government Empty Re: Judiciary irritated at British government

Post  Angelique Sat 28 May - 14:02

I agree it would be best both ways - to find the truth and to protect other vulnerable children if needs be.

I suspect though this article is confusing - it talks about re-opening when it's been proffered as a Review/Investigation/paper exercise. But it confirms one thing for me - that SY won't get to re-open the Portuguese files, I think.
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 28 May - 14:11

Nothing too surprising in that article - The Portuguese are undoubtedly entitled to a little bit of consternation and indignation but I rather think that when push comes to shove the goodwill is still there and the degree of cooperation will be considerable and totally professional.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumn Sat 28 May - 14:11

Yes thats how I read it too. Makes you wonder how the case can be reviewed if SY cannot re-open the Portuguese files.
Autumn
Autumn
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 787
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sat 28 May - 14:20

It appears as though the Judiciary are suspicious about what the UK authorities are up to; and if SY aren't seeking assistance/collaboration with the Judiciary.... then (imo) it doesn't leave much hope for the integrity of this (so called) "Review."
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sat 28 May - 14:50

I agree that the Judiciary are suspicious Pennylane. Who wouldnt be? The UK are conducting a review requested by DC seen to be pandering to the McCanns and quite controversial considering the money spent and the number of open cases in the UK which have not received the level of cover of funding, from the public or Government that the McC case has. This review although being undertaken by professional competent people is toothless, has no bite, and no judicial primacy, that being held by the Portuguese.

Their expressed feelings are understandable, the PJ are as competent as SY. Portugal co-operated with all intervention and acceeded to the English police request that the DNA be examined in "the best lab" in the UK and we know what happened there. Total confusion, oh and all the samples allegedly destroyed in the process and afterwards. I m concerned that there would be any more confusion about anything that the UK turns up. Yet we'll never know that because the report on the investigation will not be reported.

My hope is that at worst the findings will be that the Portuguese did all that they could in the investigation into Madeleine's disappearance.

If the UK investigation finds that there needs to be further investigation of UK citizens, then i would hope that the UK police provide all required assistance and information to the PJ, and that there is no intervention from aides, attaches, spokespersons or PMs.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Sat 28 May - 14:55

tanzi

"My hope is that at worst the findings will be that the Portuguese did all that they could in the investigation into Madeleine's disappearance. "

Well - yes quite - it would be a small morsel to give to the Portuguese Judiciary to allow that they did a good job after all the flack they have received and the pressure it was obvious they were under. I suppose it's the least we can expect if it does only confirm "unable to proceed any further at this present time".
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  12345 Sat 28 May - 15:24

I have a bit of a theory about this:

Just imagine, hypothetically, that the current UK government has discovered evidence of political meddling by the last goverment in this case. What are they going to do, 1) hold their hands up to the PJ and say "sorry chaps, the last lot messed up" or 2)investigate/review the matter themselves, so as to sure of the outcome before showing their hand, so to speak?

What a political coup it would be for DCs govt if the review showed that not only did the last government meddle in the investigation, but that they were also seriously backing the wrong team? Maybe the current government is keeping its powder dry and waiting for something really explosive.

Because, in my view, if you believe that there was political interference of any kind by the last government, you have got to imagine that it would be in this govt's interest to blow it wide open. However it would be crucial to establish innocence/guilt/provability first to avoid ending up with egg on their faces.

Just my humble opinion.

Number of posts : 48
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  cass Sat 28 May - 15:33

12345 wrote:I have a bit of a theory about this:

Just imagine, hypothetically, that the current UK government has discovered evidence of political meddling by the last goverment in this case. What are they going to do, 1) hold their hands up to the PJ and say "sorry chaps, the last lot messed up" or 2)investigate/review the matter themselves, so as to sure of the outcome before showing their hand, so to speak?

What a political coup it would be for DCs govt if the review showed that not only did the last government meddle in the investigation, but that they were also seriously backing the wrong team? Maybe the current government is keeping its powder dry and waiting for something really explosive.

Because, in my view, if you believe that there was political interference of any kind by the last government, you have got to imagine that it would be in this govt's interest to blow it wide open. However it would be crucial to establish innocence/guilt/provability first to avoid ending up with egg on their faces.

Just my humble opinion.
Judiciary irritated at British government 307691 Judiciary irritated at British government 307691
cass
cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1654
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic Sat 28 May - 15:43

Hi 12345 - yes indeed, if it is found that Gordon Brown has stuck even one of his nose-picking fingers in this particular pie, there would be a fair bit of political capital for the Tories.
Coalition governments are notoriously volatile and sooner or later both factions fall out over something. Result? A snap election. Oh what ammunition. Gordon has gone, but some of his old pals still hang around the upper echelons.
Guilt by association ...

And don't forget, Clarrie fronted the Labour government's MMU and then went on to do similar work for Cameron's election campaign.
I wonder what conversations went down at Central Office regarding any of the outgoing government's Machiavellian machinations ...
almostgothic
almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  12345 Sat 28 May - 15:46

Thanks Cass! Hi almostgothic - yes exactly - 3.5 million would be a cheap price for that kind of political capital!

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sat 28 May - 15:54

12345 wrote:I have a bit of a theory about this:

Just my humble opinion.

I think your theory sounds very interesting indeed! I would love it to be so... however surely SY and the present British government would be able to handle things with far more finesse as regards the Judiciary than just blanking them out the way they are. They would require the PJ's full cooperation at some point down the road, and wouldn't be going about things in such an insulting manner, as it would be self-defeating surely under the circumstances you have put forth?
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  12345 Sat 28 May - 15:58

Hi Pennylane - maybe it's a case of DCs govt hedging its bets - not wanting to look too friendly with the PJ until they are sure of the facts of the investigation. Because it could be a real political own goal if they were to appear anti McCann and pro PJ if it were to all come to nothing.

ETA - We may see our govt and the PJ on friendlier terms in the future.

Last edited by 12345 on Sat 28 May - 15:59; edited 1 time in total

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sat 28 May - 15:58

Oh bugga, I forgot the pink one fronted Cameron's campaign. Initially 12345 I thought youre hypothesis was excellent. It would all be such a coup but for the fact that Cameron employed the pink one, so any independence of thought would be out the window. I think it would be difficult for him to claim higher ground having employed the same person as the Labour Government. I now believe this was totally premedited, that DC knew in advance about the McCs letter via the pink one and was pressured by Murdoch pulling the strings, hence the "surprise" review, and the speed of the action. I hope this all bliddy well blows up in all their faces, that the SY remain totally independent of any of them now. They get on with the job given without any interference and with professional integrity in regard to the PJ, that should anything arise from their "review" the PJ are informed before the PM so that he remain outside any Judicial proceedings.jimo
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Sat 28 May - 16:03

tanzi

Whoa! I'm spinning now - which side of this fence am I on ? Judiciary irritated at British government 25346

I agree the speed of DC reply is scary.

I hope the PJ just sit on their files.

SY can do whatever they like. And probably will do depending on how long the money lasts. Judiciary irritated at British government 25346
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  12345 Sat 28 May - 16:04

I do hope you're wrong tanzi, but you make a worryingly good point. Could David Cameron really be criticised for hiring Clarence if he previously knew nothing of any wrongdoing? I still think the possible implications for Labour would be so huge as to obliterate any embarrassment caused by DCs having unwittingly employed Clarrie for a bit.

Editted to remove stupid typo

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sat 28 May - 16:07

Me too Angelique and 12345, the connections between Murdoch, the McCs, the pink one and each Government are too close to be ignored. DC will have known the connection that the pink one had with everyone before he took him on, so he would be aware that he would know of any political shenanigans, as it seems did K. Can someone help me here when Kate was told by the "friendly policeman" that she would be required at the PJ didnt she say something about what would her parents thinks and something about the UK Government?

Last edited by tanszi on Sat 28 May - 16:13; edited 1 time in total
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sat 28 May - 16:08

tanszi wrote:Oh bugga, I forgot the pink one fronted Cameron's campaign. Initially 12345 I thought youre hypothesis was excellent. It would all be such a coup but for the fact that Cameron employed the pink one, so any independence of thought would be out the window. I think it would be difficult for him to claim higher ground having employed the same person as the Labour Government. I now believe this was totally premedited, that DC knew in advance about the McCs letter via the pink one and was pressured by Murdoch pulling the strings, hence the "surprise" review, and the speed of the action. I hope this all bliddy well blows up in all their faces, that the SY remain totally independent of any of them now. They get on with the job given without any interference and with professional integrity in regard to the PJ, that should anything arise from their "review" the PJ are informed before the PM so that he remain outside any Judicial proceedings.jimo

hi tanszi, I don't think having the pink one on-board temporarily means that much...... this is prior to Theresa May's appointment and prior to Gamble's resignation etc. So I'm not sure it is significant. The pink one's always pimping his wares... and it doesn't mean Cameron liked him... you have to get a bit dirty sometimes - and it could have just been a means to an end. The pink pimp is nowhere around now is he.... and didn't he try to get into parliament recently?

Last edited by pennylane on Sat 28 May - 16:10; edited 1 time in total
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Sat 28 May - 16:09

The End Is Nigh wrote:Nothing too surprising in that article - The Portuguese are undoubtedly entitled to a little bit of consternation and indignation but I rather think that when push comes to shove the goodwill is still there and the degree of cooperation will be considerable and totally professional.

This is what I see too - the papers typically making more drama than there is, someone at the PJ was assuredly going to thump his chest and say, they are the ones who screwed this up not us, we're as good as the English. Of course you are, darling. Calma.

There will be a little posturing but I bet inside they are happy to have the chance to get back into this, they have to first decide who does what and whose turf it is but once they get the macho stuff out of the way, I think they will be happy to work together.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Sat 28 May - 16:10

pennylane wrote:
tanszi wrote:Oh bugga, I forgot the pink one fronted Cameron's campaign. Initially 12345 I thought youre hypothesis was excellent. It would all be such a coup but for the fact that Cameron employed the pink one, so any independence of thought would be out the window. I think it would be difficult for him to claim higher ground having employed the same person as the Labour Government. I now believe this was totally premedited, that DC knew in advance about the McCs letter via the pink one and was pressured by Murdoch pulling the strings, hence the "surprise" review, and the speed of the action. I hope this all bliddy well blows up in all their faces, that the SY remain totally independent of any of them now. They get on with the job given without any interference and with professional integrity in regard to the PJ, that should anything arise from their "review" the PJ are informed before the PM so that he remain outside any Judicial proceedings.jimo

hi tanszi, I don't think having the pink one on-board temporarily means that much...... this is prior to Theresa May's appointment and prior to Gamble's resignation etc. So I'm not sure it is significant. The pink one's always pimping his wares... and it doesn't mean Cameron liked him though... you have to get a bit dirty sometimes - and it could have just been a means to an end. The pink pimp is nowhere around now is he.... and didn't he try to get into parliament recently?

Not really! How grotesque he is - or do you mean he tried to enter the building and was turned back? I hope!
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sat 28 May - 16:12

widowan wrote:
pennylane wrote:

hi tanszi, I don't think having the pink one on-board temporarily means that much...... this is prior to Theresa May's appointment and prior to Gamble's resignation etc. So I'm not sure it is significant. The pink one's always pimping his wares... and it doesn't mean Cameron liked him... you have to get a bit dirty sometimes - and it could have just been a means to an end. The pink pimp is nowhere around now is he.... and didn't he try to get into parliament recently?

Not really! How grotesque he is - or do you mean he tried to enter the building and was turned back? I hope!

I thought a while back I heard the pink pimp was trying to become an MP or something similar?
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Judiciary irritated at British government Empty as above

Post  halfamo Sat 28 May - 16:22

Dave took Murdochs shilling Murdoch owns Dave now and was'nt it the Sun who was backing the McCanns to get this review and is'nt it Murdoch who owns the Sun, just join up the dots and if that is'nt goverment meddling i don't know what is.
halfamo
halfamo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1905
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 28 May - 16:30

Whatever one's Politics, I cannot agree that Cameron would knowingly get embroiled in dodgy relationships.

He seems to be a man of enormous integrity, unlike some of the other charlatans we've had in Parliament in my lifetime.

OTOH, everyone can be made a mug of/be taken in ............... look at the "Pros" in this case. I wouldn't dream of calling them "nutters" (although there will inevitably be a small number of exceptions, as there are across the board) and imagine most of them are as sincere as most of us here in our bedrooms are..
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Sat 28 May - 16:34

But you have to agree that DC's letter was already written and sitting on his desk ready to go. It's just the 'why' thats infuriating!
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next