Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp?

+29
wjk
tanszi
chrissie
AnnaEsse
Annabel
kitti
mara thon
Lillyofthevalley
Justiceforallkids
Chris
tigger
fred
margaret
Wintabells
Angelique
buildersbum
halfamo
Hammy
widowan
Carolina
maebee
SyFy
the slave
almostgothic
pennylane
MaryB
Wallflower
whatsupdoc
Oldartform
33 posters

Page 1 of 39 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Go down

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? Empty Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp?

Post  Panda Mon 11 Jul - 10:39

The Contagion has spread to NewsCorp now and the CEO of Dow Jones is likely to be questioned as is James Murdoch and possibly other Financial
organisations. The shares in bskyb are £2 less than their offer price and it is appearing more unlikely that the offer will go ahead. The Dow Jones
questionmark is causing concern and some analysts are asking whether Murdoch is in fact a fit person to own such a conglomerate.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
 Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100 Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? Empty Re: Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp?

Post  Guest Mon 11 Jul - 10:58

10.51am: Here's the Nick Clegg quote in full.

On the BSkyB bid, Rupert Murdoch is now in town in London seeking to sort things out. I would simply say to him, look how people feel about this. Look how the country has reacted with revulsion to the revelations. So do the decent and sensible thing and reconsider, think again, about your bid for BSkyB.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/jul/11/politics-live-blog#block-8
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? Empty Re: Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp?

Post  kitti Mon 11 Jul - 11:10

Murdoch owns half the world.....the papers don't mean that much to him but.....he hates loosing .....won't go quietly and is used to getting his way.

Compensation ....pennies to him.......it's about face saving....too.....KNOWONE tells him who to sack or not....what he wants he gets and he will get BSKYB....but will he keep the name and I wouldn't surprised if out off spite the B. Will go.

And the B. Will get his way!
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :
 Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100 Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic Mon 11 Jul - 11:28

By heck, it's not often I agree with Nick Clegg these days ...

There again, asking Murdoch to do the decent thing is like pleading with Dracula to stay away from the blood bank.
I don't think that Uncle Rupe in his dotage has yet grasped the full horror and revulsion felt by the UK public as this horrorshow unfolds. But even if he did become aware, would he care?

Anyways, he's far too busy posing for pics in swish London streets with his arm round the Brooks critter, grinning like a lecherous old fool ...
almostgothic
almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Mon 11 Jul - 11:37

Just get the feeling this man is laughing inside. He has too much power and too much money - he has the power to cause damage to people or pay people off if he is challenged. Vince Cable was right - no one should have that much control - even if they start out with good intentions, every human has weaknesses that become magnified with power. I really don`t think he could give a monkeys.
Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 625
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 11 Jul - 11:42

@Peston
Am told was clear evidence that security of royal family could have been at risk - shocking development; why were emails buried for 4 years?
14 minutes ago via web

Emails uncovered by News Int in 2007 showed contact details of royal family bought by NOTW from Royal Protection Office.
15 minutes ago via web
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 11 Jul - 12:07

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Mon 11 Jul - 14:22

Maybe because the security of the royals has been compromised they will do something about it more than they would for just any little girls' family that has NOTW deleting her voice messages.

I wonder if the SEC or the Feds will get involved because NewsCorp is US corporation. While there is no law against being too powerful as a person there are laws about monopoly. To have a monopoly on the news hurts the right of people to have access to information that isn't being spun by one central editorial bent... I wonder what NewsCorp has in the US, probably a lot of tv and print media - would explain why some of the shows here have treated the McCanns the way they have: absoltuely no acknowledgement that there is an alterative "thesis" of what happened to their child, no mention of their fleeing the country and refusing to cooperate. Even on nancy Grace she interviewed John Walsh CfM&EC head honcho and bashed the PJ without looking into it any further. This is the way we report this story.

On big stories they decide how to "spin" them at the top, it's nothing to do with news it is stories. What will sell. This is worse than political propaganda. You can thank these folks for the dumbing down of people. We're no longer fit to get real news, we need brightly colored stories with two syllable words.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 11 Jul - 16:31

I think it"s highly significant that the CEO of Dow Jones is to be interviewed........could be insider trading or something like that which is a Criminal Act.

There is the Monopolies Commission who might want Murdoch to break up his Empire , the Americans are much stricter about this than the U.K.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic Mon 11 Jul - 17:54

Les Hinton, CEO of Dow Jones & Company and publisher of the Wall Street Journal, is Rupert Murdoch’s most loyal and long-standing lieutenant—and he may also be the next in line to take the fall in the company’s News of the World phone-hacking scandal. Hinton was executive chairman of News International, News Corp.’s British subsidiary, for more than a decade before Rebekah Wade Brooks ascended to the position in 2009—after she reported to Hinton for seven years as editor of both News of the World and the Sun. If Brooks resigns or is fired from News International—a move that could come as early as this week—the spotlight could turn on Hinton in New York.

http://www.adweek.com/news/press/murdochgate-moves-new-york-focus-dow-jones-ceo-hinton-133298
almostgothic
almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 11 Jul - 18:03

A suggestion.......

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Mon 11 Jul - 18:07

It is hard to believe that woman is the chief editor of a newspaper, she looks like she'd be more at home behind a bar.

I would LOVE to see someone from WSJ get it in the neck - NY Times and others would have a field day with that. The WSJ though is very right wing, and they print financial stories or the financial impact of things more so than this trashy kind of gossip NOTW focused on.

It makes me wonder, if Murdoch has been pro Labour, if now that Tories are in could they be wanting to put an end to Murdoch's shenanigans altogether? These sorts of papers, the red tops, would appeal more to Labour I would think and maybe it is DC and friends putting the screws on Murdoch now and trying to take the chance of ganging up and kicking him while he is down - both Labour would want this because of how he turned against them and the Tories would want it because in general up to now, they haven't been treated well bu Murdoch's press...
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Mon 11 Jul - 18:10

Where did murdoch come from that they can send him back to on a plane? I thought he was British.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 11 Jul - 18:11

widowan wrote:Where did murdoch come from that they can send him back to on a plane? I thought he was British.

Australian - and they're after him now as well!  Is this Armageddon for Murdoch and NewsCorp? 294124
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 11 Jul - 18:35

Murdoch has made changes to his offer. Originally he took out Sky News because he thought it would appear as a monopoly on News. However, he has reinstated it and analysts are saying it is a very clever move .... he obviously thinks he will win the bid because he is on the right side of the Law.
Apparently the Antitrust Regulator is to look into the matter.

there is also a rumour that some of the 9/11 Families also had their phones hacked.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 11 Jul - 23:07

Murdoch"s Biographer, an American who knows the Family well says he wouldn"t be surprised to see the Murdoch Empire fold up completely within a few months. Apparently the Americans can take action under their "Good Governance " Law and since this hacking has now affected most of the Murdoch
Papers the Executives must have known what was going on . He was interviewed on Newsnight, says it is a tight knit Family business and Rebekah is treated like one of the Family.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallflower Mon 11 Jul - 23:49

widowan wrote:It is hard to believe that woman is the chief editor of a newspaper, she looks like she'd be more at home behind a bar.

I would LOVE to see someone from WSJ get it in the neck - NY Times and others would have a field day with that. The WSJ though is very right wing, and they print financial stories or the financial impact of things more so than this trashy kind of gossip NOTW focused on.

It makes me wonder, if Murdoch has been pro Labour, if now that Tories are in could they be wanting to put an end to Murdoch's shenanigans altogether? These sorts of papers, the red tops, would appeal more to Labour I would think and maybe it is DC and friends putting the screws on Murdoch now and trying to take the chance of ganging up and kicking him while he is down - both Labour would want this because of how he turned against them and the Tories would want it because in general up to now, they haven't been treated well bu Murdoch's press...

Murdoch was pro New Labout/Tony Blair, who were just cut-price Tories. Anyhow, before the last election, Murdoch's papers came out in support of the Tory Party.
Wallflower
Wallflower
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 757
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 12 Jul - 0:06

Widowan,

Murdoch used The Sun Newspaper to support the Conservatives before the last Election and Cameron in turn might have promised that the bskyb bid
would not be opposed. To take on Andy Coulson knowing he was suspected back in 2007 not only shows dreadful lack of judgement but I suspect
Cameron wanted someone who had a good grasp of Press Politics and for that reason did not get Staff to investigate Coulson.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Tue 12 Jul - 2:01

seems like Murdoch would BE a Tory but his readers likely would not. So feed them pap and take their cash and line your nest with it.

I must say I don't understand new Labour. What is new about it?

Anyone who sticks up for Murdock and that horrid girl now, will look just terrible. They have done the unsupportable and neither side will support them. if they'd work together the government could put a leash on this dog that has gotten all out of control.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  whatsupdoc Tue 12 Jul - 6:49

widowan wrote:seems like Murdoch would BE a Tory but his readers likely would not. So feed them pap and take their cash and line your nest with it.

Anyone who sticks up for Murdock and that horrid girl now, will look just terrible. They have done the unsupportable and neither side will support them. if they'd work together the government could put a leash on this dog that has gotten all out of control.

New Labour...gift wrapping an old present...getting the decorators in...a make-over....do not disturb.
whatsupdoc
whatsupdoc
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Male
Number of posts : 777
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue 12 Jul - 6:58

widowan wrote:seems like Murdoch would BE a Tory but his readers likely would not. So feed them pap and take their cash and line your nest with it.

Murdoch and his readership do actually have much in common - xenophobic, anti- EU etc. In terms of politics therefore naturally more aligned to some parts of the Conservative party even if largely a "working class" readership. I am sure Murdoch would be prepared to support the BNP if he thought they were electable. "New" Labour was little more than an movement to make the party electable by (outwardly at least) compromising many of the party's core policies in favour of power.

A good example of news manipulation by NI titles is shown in the Sun today. Although they cover the Brown story in passing Rebecca Brooks name is completely absent despite her direct involvement in it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3689596/Royals-for-sale-by-corrupt-cops.html
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 12 Jul - 7:06

whatsupdoc wrote:

New Labour...gift wrapping an old present...getting the decorators in...a make-over....do not disturb.

whatsupdoc

New Labour was another expression for "spin" and whose anthem "things can only get better" sounds very hollow now.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 12 Jul - 7:50

Newscorp shares have lost U.S. $ 7 BILLION over thr last 4 days. Murdoch is betting that by including sky News he has secured a review by the
Monopolies Commission even if it takes a year by which time the hacking furore will have abated. Analysts say this will not be the case, that because
the Times and The Sun have also been accused, this investigation will take years even if not publicly .

It"s beginning to look like Murdoch will be forced to break up his Empire, shareholders are becoming very worried at the falling value.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 12 Jul - 9:19

Stuart Purvis, ex Ofcom Regulator says there must be an investigation into the role of Executives of News International they cannot say they didn"t know
what was going on. Apparently Murdoch himself wrote a cheque for U.S.$ 1 MILLION to pay off someone who had been hacked because he was advised to
do so.!!!

This looks as though it is definitely Murdoch"s comeuppance.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Tue 12 Jul - 9:41

Panda wrote:Newscorp shares have lost U.S. $ 7 BILLION over thr last 4 days. Murdoch is betting that by including sky News he has secured a review by the
Monopolies Commission
even if it takes a year by which time the hacking furore will have abated. Analysts say this will not be the case, that because
the Times and The Sun have also been accused, this investigation will take years even if not publicly .

It"s beginning to look like Murdoch will be forced to break up his Empire, shareholders are becoming very worried at the falling value.

I don't understand what that is about Panda, do you? I saw they 'withdrew their undertakings to the Government' but what does that mean in simple terms??
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 39 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next