Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Kate McCann Aspergers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kate McCann Aspergers?

Post  contrary on Sat 12 Nov - 13:02

If (as suggested on another thread) Kate has Aspergers Syndrome then it would explain why she appears cold, can't seem to understand the way to interact socially and the strange way she acts in a way which she expects people in her situation would behave, but usually gets it wrong.

contrary
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 189
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Kate McCann Aspergers?

Post  Justiceforallkids on Sat 12 Nov - 13:08

there was talk maddie was autistic too

Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret on Sat 12 Nov - 19:28

Can't see it myself sorry. Someone with aspergers could be very clever (like that Gary McKinnon) but you can tell by looking at them or their mannerisms there's something odd going on. Nor could they hold an intelligent conversation or go on camera like she does IMO.

I think it's just narcissim with Kate, that and that she's cold hearted.

ETA: I have an aunt with learning difficulties who has been in various homes, l've seen all sorts of disabilities including aspergers and autism in adults and KM displays none of their behaviour - not one jot.

margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane on Sat 12 Nov - 19:51

margaret wrote:Can't see it myself sorry. Someone with aspergers could be very clever (like that Gary McKinnon) but you can tell by looking at them or their mannerisms there's something odd going on. Nor could they hold an intelligent conversation or go on camera like she does IMO.

ETA: I have an aunt with learning difficulties who has been in various homes, l've seen all sorts of disabilities including aspergers and autism in adults and KM displays none of their behaviour - not one jot.

I can't see it either, margaret

They are a pair of selfish narcissists, which is the reason their child is gone, and their lives are in a massive mess.... with 2 court cases looming on the horizon still to this day!

imo

pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5351
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse on Sat 12 Nov - 19:57

margaret wrote:Can't see it myself sorry. Someone with aspergers could be very clever (like that Gary McKinnon) but you can tell by looking at them or their mannerisms there's something odd going on. Nor could they hold an intelligent conversation or go on camera like she does IMO.

Nor could they hold an intelligent conversation or go on camera like she does IMO

Famous People with Asperger Syndrome or SimilarAutistic Traits

http://www.asperger-syndrome.me.uk/people.htm

Temple Grandin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin

Temple Grandin (born August 29, 1947) is an American doctor of animal science and professor at Colorado State University, bestselling author, and consultant to the livestock industry on animal behavior. As a person with high-functioning autism, Grandin is also widely noted for her work in autism advocacy and is the inventor of the squeeze machine designed to calm hypersensitive persons.

Grandin is listed in the 2010 Time 100 list of the 100 most influential people in the world in the category "Heroes".[1]

More famous people with Asperger's

Adam Young, multi-instrumentalist, producer and the founder of the electronic project Owl City.
Adrian Lamo, American computer hacker
Carl Soderholm, speaker in neuropsychiatric disorders
Clay Marzo, American professional surfer
Craig Nicholls, frontman of the Australian garage rock band, The Vines
Dan Aykroyd, comedian and actor: Aykroyd stated he has Asperger's, but some feel he was joking.
Daniel Tammet, British autistic savant, believed to have Asperger Syndrome
Daryl Hannah, actress
Dawn Prince-Hughes, PhD, primate anthropologist, ethologist, and author of Songs for the Gorilla Nation
Gary Numan, British singer and songwriter
Heather Kuzmich, fashion model and reality show contestant on America's Next Top Model
James Durbin, finalist on the tenth season of American Idol
Jerry Newport, American author and mathematical savant, basis of the film Mozart and the Whale
John Elder Robison, author of Look Me in the Eye
Judy Singer, Australian disability rights activist
Liane Holliday Willey, author of Pretending to be Normal, Asperger Syndrome in the Family; Asperger syndrome advocate; education professor; and adult diagnosed with Asperger syndrome at age 35
Lizzy Clark, actress and campaigner
Luke Jackson, author
Michael Burry, US investment fund manager
Nicky Reilly, failed suicide bomber from Britain
Paddy Considine, actor
Peter Howson, Scottish painter
Phillipa "Pip" Brown (aka Ladyhawke), indie rock musician
Raymond Thompson, New Zealand scriptwriter and TV producer
Richard Borcherds, mathematician specializing in group theory and Lie algebras
Robert Durst, American real estate developer accused of murder
Robert Napper, British murderer
Satoshi Tajiri, creator and designer of Pokemon
Tim Ellis, Australian magician and author
Tim Page, Pulitzer Prize-winning critic and author
Travis Meeks, lead singer, guitarist and song writer for acoustic rock band Days of the New.
Vernon L. Smith, Nobel Laureate in Economics
William Cottrell, student who was sentenced to eight years in jail for fire-bombing SUV dealerships

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/article_2086.shtml#ixzz1dWTsu5ba

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18463
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  interested on Sat 12 Nov - 20:00

contrary - The symptoms you describe apply to Gerry too....IMO.

interested
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2428
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Loveday on Sat 12 Nov - 20:01

I don't think she has Asperger's either. But I would completely dispute your assertion that someone with Asperger's couldn't 'hold an intelligent conversation'. That's simply not true.

Loveday
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 300
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse on Sat 12 Nov - 20:08

Loveday wrote:

I don't think she has Asperger's either. But I would completely dispute your assertion that someone with Asperger's couldn't 'hold an intelligent conversation'. That's simply not true.

It is absolutely not true. There are people in all walks of life and professions, including actors and academics who have Asperger's.

The link below is to the blog of a woman called Helen Baxter, who was diagnosed a couple of years ago. (Look for 'Autism,' in her tags on the right.) She calls herself 'An Aspie.'

Helen is a radio presenter, DJ, Managing Director of Mohawk Media in New Zealand. As a child, she went to the same school as my daughter and as you can see from her profile, she is very capable not only of intelligent conversation, but of doing very intelligent lectures.

http://msbehaviour.blogspot.com/

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  contrary on Sat 12 Nov - 21:08

Michael palin has Aspergers! Who would have thought?!

contrary
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 189
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse on Sat 12 Nov - 21:14

contrary wrote:Michael palin has Aspergers! Who would have thought?!

Asperger's is very difficult to diagnose and many people, like my daughter's school friend, are not diagnosed until adulthood. Many not at all, I should think.

One of my jobs was working for an autism support service. My job entailed advising mainstream schools on how to best work with children who had been diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum. I observed the child in the classroom environment and prepared a 'Special Education Support Plan.' Most of the children I worked with were in the top streams and would not have been picked out by someone who did not know them, as being different.

ETA: We had one brilliant young lad who used to come along to training sessions we set up for staff teams in mainstream schools. He gave talks about his experience of being a student with autism.

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Loopdaloop on Sun 13 Nov - 2:45

There are lots of very successful people on the asd spectrum, you could open any university and find lots of them.
However there is no evidence that Kate is (as I'm sure if she was they would have used it for the sympathy vote)

Loopdaloop
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 815
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

AnnaEsse

Post  comperedna on Sun 13 Nov - 13:10

I too have worked with children in ordinary schools who are on the autistic spectrum. Such children are as different from each other and as distinctive as any child is from another. They just have some extra difficulties to deal with, and often have distinctive mannerisms and they can become upset by certain very ordinary sounds, smells, etc and become worried and confused in 'social' situations. They tend to prefer routine. and despite the common statement that they have minimal empathy, one to one, in calm situations such children can often be thoughtful and kind. I do not think Kate remotely has any of these characteristics, and see hr, from what small knowledge we have of her in public as showing simple selfishness and having a somewhat juvenile narcissistic personality... which comes to the same thing in a way.

comperedna
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 855
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse on Sun 13 Nov - 13:19

comperedna wrote:I too have worked with children in ordinary schools who are on the autistic spectrum. Such children are as different from each other and as distinctive as any child is from another. They just have some extra difficulties to deal with, and often have distinctive mannerisms and they can become upset by certain very ordinary sounds, smells, etc and become worried and confused in 'social' situations. They tend to prefer routine. and despite the common statement that they have minimal empathy, one to one, in calm situations such children can often be thoughtful and kind. I do not think Kate remotely has any of these characteristics, and see hr, from what small knowledge we have of her in public as showing simple selfishness and having a somewhat juvenile narcissistic personality... which comes to the same thing in a way.

Excellent, comperedna. I worked with a lad who was 'a runner.' In most classes he had a teaching assistant with him, although he was bright, attentive to the teacher and worked well. He was very likeable and had lots of friends. But he was 'a runner.' It was never obvious what the triggers were, but going between classes, he would suddenly take off, run out of the nearest exit and he was out of the gate in a flash and disappearing round the corner.

I think you're probably right about Kate McCann when you say:

".....showing simple selfishness and having a somewhat juvenile narcissistic personality."

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Born Yesterday on Sun 13 Nov - 14:48

Yes I would go along with the description of Kate McCann as simply selfish and having a juvenile narcissistic personality. Also arrogant enough (Gerry too) to think that their status as doctors would mean that the police would automatically believe everything they said.

My son is 33 and almost certainly has Asperger's but it hadn't officially been recognised when he was at school and trailing round one psychiatrist after another. He has a lot of problems with coping with life as an adult but thank goodness he doesn't resemble the McCanns in any way!

I too am on the autistic spectrum as I suffer from sensory overload. Here's a clip which is a fairly good illustration of what it's like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plPNhooUUuc@feature=related
On this bright sunny day I am in a room with the door and window closed because there is a dog barking in the next street......

AnnaEsse: I wonder if the boy you mention who did a runner sometimes had sensory overload as, believe me, there are times when I feel like running too! It could be due to something as trivial to everyone else as a retractable biro being clicked repeatedly or someone jangling coins in their pocket.

Not Born Yesterday
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6697
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobsy on Sun 13 Nov - 15:03

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Yes I would go along with the description of Kate McCann as simply selfish and having a juvenile narcissistic personality. Also arrogant enough (Gerry too) to think that their status as doctors would mean that the police would automatically believe everything they said.

My son is 33 and almost certainly has Asperger's but it hadn't officially been recognised when he was at school and trailing round one psychiatrist after another. He has a lot of problems with coping with life as an adult but thank goodness he doesn't resemble the McCanns in any way!

I too am on the autistic spectrum as I suffer from sensory overload. Here's a clip which is a fairly good illustration of what it's like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plPNhooUUuc@feature=related
On this bright sunny day I am in a room with the door and window closed because there is a dog barking in the next street......

AnnaEsse: I wonder if the boy you mention who did a runner sometimes had sensory overload as, believe me, there are times when I feel like running too! It could be due to something as trivial to everyone else as a retractable biro being clicked repeatedly or someone jangling coins in their pocket.

Not Born Yesterday. I feel very humble. You live a full life but with odds I cannot imagine, so may I send a

Bobsy
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 913
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Born Yesterday on Sun 13 Nov - 15:09

Thank you Bobsy. I feel a bit of a fraud now! When I hear of the terrible problems that other people have, I know that I am very fortunate by comparison. When I retired from work last year, I asked for a leaving present of industrial strength ear muffs and that is what I got; perhaps we could start a topic on the most useful and unusual present that we've ever had!

Not Born Yesterday
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6697
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse on Sun 13 Nov - 15:10

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Yes I would go along with the description of Kate McCann as simply selfish and having a juvenile narcissistic personality. Also arrogant enough (Gerry too) to think that their status as doctors would mean that the police would automatically believe everything they said.

I'm sure you're right about our 'runner.' In classrooms, the TA always sat in the adjoining desk and helped him to focus. Also, it was a good school, where most classrooms were quite quiet. It would have been things like apparently chaotic movement in the corridors while moving between classes, long corridors with a wall of almost total windows and frenetic activity outside, shouting and chatter merging into undifferentiated noise. Transitions, as I'm sure you know, are generally quite difficult.

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobsy on Sun 13 Nov - 15:14

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Thank you Bobsy. I feel a bit of a fraud now! When I hear of the terrible problems that other people have, I know that I am very fortunate by comparison. When I retired from work last year, I asked for a leaving present of industrial strength ear muffs and that is what I got; perhaps we could start a topic on the most useful and unusual present that we've ever had!
What a good idea, how do we do this? Admin???

Bobsy
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 913
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret on Sun 13 Nov - 17:42

AnnaEsse wrote:
Famous People with Asperger Syndrome or SimilarAutistic Traits

http://www.asperger-syndrome.me.uk/people.htm

Temple Grandin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin

Temple Grandin (born August 29, 1947) is an American doctor of animal science and professor at Colorado State University, bestselling author, and consultant to the livestock industry on animal behavior. As a person with high-functioning autism, Grandin is also widely noted for her work in autism advocacy and is the inventor of the squeeze machine designed to calm hypersensitive persons.

Grandin is listed in the 2010 Time 100 list of the 100 most influential people in the world in the category "Heroes".[1]

More famous people with Asperger's

Adam Young, multi-instrumentalist, producer and the founder of the electronic project Owl City.
Adrian Lamo, American computer hacker
Carl Soderholm, speaker in neuropsychiatric disorders
Clay Marzo, American professional surfer
Craig Nicholls, frontman of the Australian garage rock band, The Vines
Dan Aykroyd, comedian and actor: Aykroyd stated he has Asperger's, but some feel he was joking.
Daniel Tammet, British autistic savant, believed to have Asperger Syndrome
Daryl Hannah, actress
Dawn Prince-Hughes, PhD, primate anthropologist, ethologist, and author of Songs for the Gorilla Nation
Gary Numan, British singer and songwriter
Heather Kuzmich, fashion model and reality show contestant on America's Next Top Model
James Durbin, finalist on the tenth season of American Idol
Jerry Newport, American author and mathematical savant, basis of the film Mozart and the Whale
John Elder Robison, author of Look Me in the Eye
Judy Singer, Australian disability rights activist
Liane Holliday Willey, author of Pretending to be Normal, Asperger Syndrome in the Family; Asperger syndrome advocate; education professor; and adult diagnosed with Asperger syndrome at age 35
Lizzy Clark, actress and campaigner
Luke Jackson, author
Michael Burry, US investment fund manager
Nicky Reilly, failed suicide bomber from Britain
Paddy Considine, actor
Peter Howson, Scottish painter
Phillipa "Pip" Brown (aka Ladyhawke), indie rock musician
Raymond Thompson, New Zealand scriptwriter and TV producer
Richard Borcherds, mathematician specializing in group theory and Lie algebras
Robert Durst, American real estate developer accused of murder
Robert Napper, British murderer
Satoshi Tajiri, creator and designer of Pokemon
Tim Ellis, Australian magician and author
Tim Page, Pulitzer Prize-winning critic and author
Travis Meeks, lead singer, guitarist and song writer for acoustic rock band Days of the New.
Vernon L. Smith, Nobel Laureate in Economics
William Cottrell, student who was sentenced to eight years in jail for fire-bombing SUV dealerships

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/article_2086.shtml#ixzz1dWTsu5ba

Don't know most of those, quite a few murderers in there though.

Loveday wrote:

No, l didn't word it very well, as in going on television to be interviewed - she wouldn't be able to cope with it or would have been tripped up very easily before now. I've heard it said Gary McKinnon couldn't cope with being interviewed that's what l mean.

margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Mild aspergers

Post  comperedna on Sun 13 Nov - 18:45

This may be considered off topic, but I was extremely fond of A who I'd put at the mild Aspergers end of the autistic spectrum. I met him when he was aged nearly eleven, and in the top class of a rather kindly disposed and excellent Catholic primary school in a poor area of a midland town. I would have said A was about the cleverest child in the class, but he would wail, run into the cloakroom, and shake if he 'could not cope', as when a child's parent brought in a big basket of fungi to pass around for a nature project... They did indeed stink! He was perturbed by the topic of negative numbers, and burst into tears, though he understood the concept well enough. He was extremely good at elementary physics, grasping the difference between weight and density at once from experiments done. He gave a good run down of it in a stilted, loud voice to everyone... with his eyes closed. He used to prefer to chat to me sitting back to back, but touching. Making eye contact even with trusted people was very difficult. He was a genuine expert on certain old fashioned comics which he collected, and could chat with me (I have odd interests in such things :-)) about Dennis the Menace, and Korky the cat knowledgeably... He preferred to chat as if he were an adult, and I tried to respect that. He sat at a table with three girls who gave him plenty of scope, and did not mind if he behaved oddly. He checked their maths answers for them. Boys tended to mock him. He could not catch a ball, or write neatly, or 'cope' in any kind of class drama etc. He had quite a bit of individual support and went on to a well thought of Catholic secondary school where he got on well, even if he made very few friends... Not a bit like KM, I feel.

comperedna
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 855
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Justiceforallkids on Mon 14 Nov - 2:10

i have autistic traits i dont like to be touched or hugged by anyone i havent since i was born im also veyr very noise sensitive i get oversimulated with too many people around etc ie crowds etc or things like storms etc they all trigger my anxiety too

Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:53

Sponsored content