Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humphrey The 'Pet' Hippo Mauls Owner To Death

Go down

Humphrey The 'Pet' Hippo Mauls Owner To Death Empty Humphrey The 'Pet' Hippo Mauls Owner To Death

Post  mara thon Mon 14 Nov - 18:47

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/humphrey-pet-hippo-mauls-owner-death-175703329.html

A hippopotamus called Humphrey who became an internet sensation after being raised as a pet has mauled his keeper to death.

The animal, which weighs over a ton, reportedly bit Marius Els, dragged him into the water and killed him on his 400-acre farm in South Africa.

The man's mutilated body was found submerged in the river, where years earlier, the creature had been rescued from a flood.

Humphrey had learned to swim with humans and found a home with Els when it became too big for the people who had initially adopted it.

The 40-year-old farmer, who said the animal was like a "son" to him, was confirmed dead by medics early on Sunday morning.

Netcare 911 spokesman Jeffrey Wicks reported paramedics attended Els' home on the banks of the Vaal River in Free State province.

He said: "Paramedics responded to the scene to find that the man had been bitten several times by the animal.

"It had also been immersed in the river for an unknown period."

Humphrey, who is six, was found as a calf and had been raised as a pet in Free State.

Els built a bond with him that enabled the former army major to ride on his back, feed him and even brush his teeth.

But neighbours said there were signs Humphrey was perhaps not quite as docile as Els suggested, as he was spotted wandering off the farm and onto a nearby golf course.

Els said he returned when he was called.

"We tried to warn him, but he wouldn't listen," an unnamed neighbour was quoted as saying by the Afrikaans daily Beeld.

The hippo is one of the most aggressive creatures in the world, especially when young calves are present.

And it is often regarded as among the most dangerous animals in Africa.

Hippos are very aggressive towards humans, whom they commonly attack whether in boats or on land with no apparent provocation.

Video footage of Els riding on Humphrey became a YouTube hit earlier this year.

Els said: "I call him, and he immediately responds to come and play with me. I feed him apples. He opens his mouth. Big jaws, and teeth like this.

"It's a little bit dangerous, but I trust him with my heart that he will not harm anybody.

"I can swim with him. I go in the water. He allows me to get on his back, and I ride him like a horse. He swims with me."

Els added: "He's like a son to me. There's a relationship between me and Humphrey and that's what some people don't understand.

"They think you can only have a relationship with dogs, cats and domestic animals.

"But I have a relationship with the most dangerous animal in Africa."

In the video, Humphrey throws Els from his back into the water.
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :
Humphrey The 'Pet' Hippo Mauls Owner To Death Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Humphrey The 'Pet' Hippo Mauls Owner To Death Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down