Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crack Down on Illegal Immigrants using abuse of Human Rights

Go down

Crack Down on Illegal Immigrants using abuse of Human Rights  Empty Crack Down on Illegal Immigrants using abuse of Human Rights

Post  Panda Sun 8 Apr - 9:26

Theresa May plans to direct judges rather than introduce fresh legislation

4:42am UK, Sunday April 08, 2012
Home Secretary Theresa May plans to crack down on the "abuse" of human rights laws that prevent foreign criminals being thrown out of Britain.

Vowing to stop all but the most "exceptional cases" succeeding on appeal, Mrs May has said tougher immigration rules will be in place by the summer.

She has become convinced that tighter controls are needed to prevent criminals turning to Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights - "the right to a family life" - in order to remain in the country.

If it's tested in the courts and we find there's a problem we'll obviously look at other measures, but I'm confident in what we're proposing to do.

Home Secretary Theresa May

The plans involve directing judges rather than bringing in new legislation.

Mrs May told The Sunday Telegraph: "It's been causing a lot of concern, not just to the Government but also to an awful lot of members of the public.

"By the summer, we will have in place new immigration rules which I believe will end that abuse.

"If it doesn't - if it's tested in the courts and we find there's a problem - we'll obviously look at other measures, but I'm confident in what we're proposing to do."

The Home Secretary has faced criticism over moves to legislate for the real-time surveillance of the emails, texts, phone calls and internet use of every person in the UK.

Civil liberties groups have condemned the move as a "snoopers' charter" - and Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg pledged to curb the plans.

Mrs May said: "I would expect us to be able to do this in a bill in the next session, but in a way that enables people to have a sight of the clauses."
Recommended Stories

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Crack Down on Illegal Immigrants using abuse of Human Rights  Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Crack Down on Illegal Immigrants using abuse of Human Rights  Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down