Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Eilis O'Hanlon: The sad rise of cyber courts full of Twittering bullies

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eilis O'Hanlon: The sad rise of cyber courts full of Twittering bullies

Post  Annabel on Sun 29 Apr - 13:28

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/eilis-ohanlon-the-sad-rise-of-cyber-courts-full-of-twittering-bullies-3095042.html

It wasn't so long ago that a Panorama documentary on Madeleine's disappearance would have brought the anti-McCann lobby out in force. Instead the Kate and Gerry-baiters were relatively quiet all week, having perhaps found another grieving family to torment in the meantime, or another conspiracy theory with which to fill their time.

Or it could simply be that they're flummoxed by the latest developments in the case. As Panorama reported last week in the run-up to the fifth anniversary of the little girl's disappearance from a holiday complex in Praia da Luz, not only has a year-long Metropolitan Police investigation come down firmly on the theory that Madeleine was abducted by a stranger, it also claims to have good reason to believe she is still alive, even releasing an artist's digital impression of how she might look today, as she approaches her ninth birthday.

This wasn't the narrative which those convinced that the McCanns had something to do with their daughter's disappearance -- the ones who still post videos on YouTube full of cod psychological analyses of the couple's body language to a sinister musical accompaniment, or who leave messages on Twitter peppered with vile, unsubstantiated allegations -- had geared themselves up to expect. For now, no doubt, they remain bunkered in, regrouping, planning the next attack.

It shouldn't take them long. Portuguese police have already refused to reopen the case, dismissing as "mere speculation" claims from Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who headed up the team of 28 detectives and seven civilian support staff, that their review of 40,000 pieces of evidence had turned up nearly 200 previously unexplored lines of inquiry, meaning that, in all likelihood, the case will remain in suspended animation, files gathering dust, Madeleine forgotten.

That's the atmosphere in which rumours flourish. Already there are mutterings about the stg£2m cost of the review of evidence, and insinuations of political interference, not least allegations that UK Prime Minister David Cameron was only pressurised into authorising a new inquiry by News International, thereby neatly segueing into another of the chattering classes' latest obsessions, that of the Leveson Inquiry. Panorama trawled through that cesspit, too. It shouldn't be too hard for the conspiracy theorists to use it all to come up with a new excuse to reignite the anti-McCann fuse.

Which is incredible, when you think about it. Five years on and the most thorough investigation of the evidence -- involving, in Det Chief Inspector Redwood's words, "turning every single piece of paper over and interpreting and analysing what is contained within them" -- has concluded that all those pulp fiction scenarios involving an unstable mother killing her own child and a controlling father disposing of the body, with both then colluding in an incredibly effective manipulation of an entire police force and the world media, were nothing but the poisonous fantasies which Madeleine's parents always said they were.

Yet the reaction has been so muted that it feels as if this is just another day at the office for the obsessives. Having invested so much time and emotional energy into demonising the McCanns, it's as if they're still reluctant to give up, much less apologise for the hurt that they caused to a family at its most vulnerable.

In a way, that's not so surprising. The campaign to indict the McCanns for the death of their own daughter was fought largely over the internet, where normal decencies rarely apply. Indeed, the plight of the McCanns could almost stand as a metaphor for the rise of social media as the predominant mode of public discourse.

There's a familiarity, even an intimacy, to online conversation which encourages strangers to feel that they have an investment in stories which actually belong to other people. Kate and Gerry were not only the ultimate victims of cyber bullying, but one of its original casualties too, tried and found guilty in the International Court of Twitter, itself only one year old and in its technological infancy when Madeleine went missing. Every gesture, every word, was magnified with an almost Truman Show-style intensity.

In truth, it seems highly unlikely that Madeleine will ever be found alive, regardless of last week's optimistic headlines. Most children abducted by strangers are killed within hours of being taken. There's also the fact that sniffer dogs detected the scent of death in the McCanns' holiday apartment, strongly suggesting that Madeleine may have died that very first night. Sniffer dogs are not 100 per cent reliable; the evidence of their noses only an indicator which needs to be confirmed by other means. But the bathetic title of last week's Panorama -- Madeleine: The Last Hope? -- said it all.

Until that question mark is removed from the story, there will always be room for the malicious to mislead casual observers into continuing to cast suspicion on the McCanns.

The only consolation for Madeleine's parents is that the growth of the internet has been so swift during the lifetime of their ordeal that the cyber bullies now have so many other victims to pick on that they must necessarily have less energy left over to hammer Kate and Gerry.

For those intent on attacking the media, though, there may be other lessons to learn. The then chief constable of Leicestershire Police, Matt Baggott, has already told the Leveson Inquiry into press standards in the UK that he knew at the time when Portuguese police officers were briefing against Kate and Gerry McCann that they were doing so on the basis of a misinterpretation of the DNA evidence, but decided that it was wiser not to put reporters right, even privately.

Baggott acted entirely as the high-minded media monks, shuddering with distaste at any whisper of secret contact between the ladies and gentlemen of the press and the appointed agents of the state, would wish him to act. But the result was that a family was put through hell unnecessarily. It can only be hoped that Leveson does not throw the baby out with the bathwater and end up making it harder than ever for journalists to do their job, just so that an artificial aura of purity can be maintained.

Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Eilis O'Hanlon: The sad rise of cyber courts full of Twittering bullies

Post  Guest on Sun 29 Apr - 13:33

Oh, dear. Where to start?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 29 Apr - 13:35

Well, the author of that diatribe likes the word "misrepresentation", so here's a prime example of same:

"Which is incredible, when you think about it. Five years on and the most thorough investigation of the evidence -- involving, in Det Chief Inspector Redwood's words, "turning every single piece of paper over and interpreting and analysing what is contained within them" -- has concluded that all those pulp fiction scenarios involving an unstable mother killing her own child and a controlling father disposing of the body, with both then colluding in an incredibly effective manipulation of an entire police force and the world media, were nothing but the poisonous fantasies which Madeleine's parents always said they were."

First of all, Redwood (who is the leader of a largish team of experienced plod, not a stand-alone would-be genius, as has been suggested (ironically, I suspect) elsewhere) actually said they were only a quarter of the way through the documents.

Secondly, he did not "conclude" anything - he took care to cover all bases without giving anything away (AS should be the case).

As for the rest of the article? Piffle.

Last edited by The End Is Nigh on Sun 29 Apr - 13:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp.)

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic on Sun 29 Apr - 13:39

And another ... and another ... and another ......

Gloop on a loop.

NEXT!

almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 29 Apr - 13:42

Well it might actually have some beneficial effect - it is so utterly ridiculous that those neutrals who have been stirred by things like Panorama, HiDeHo's videos and the raft of largely nonsensical Press & TV items of late will now have enough more food for thought.

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone on Sun 29 Apr - 13:44

I mean - someone's been rattled enough to come up wih this prattle!

Well done HiDeHo - you video's are getting to the nub of things!

NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Number of posts : 620
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfiefinn on Sun 29 Apr - 13:53

NoStone wrote:I mean - someone's been rattled enough to come up wih this prattle!

I totally agree NoStone.

The level of spitting fury in this piece indicates that putting out an opposing view to the official version is not at all liked.

Sycophantic, 'kool-aid' swallowing articles about the case - obviously produced by caring, lovely, gentle human beings

Articles questioning the veracity of some accounts and the viability of such events - obviously written by 'vile cyber trolls' and 'twittering bullies'.

Real balance there.

Oh dearie me, someone's had their parade rained on.

Alfiefinn
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1482
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone on Sun 29 Apr - 13:59

Alfiefinn wrote:
NoStone wrote:I mean - someone's been rattled enough to come up wih this prattle!

I totally agree NoStone.

The level of spitting fury in this piece indicates that putting out an opposing view to the official version is not at all liked.

Sycophantic, 'kool-aid' swallowing articles about the case - obviously produced by caring, lovely, gentle human beings

Articles questioning the veracity of some accounts and the viability of such events - obviously written by 'vile cyber trolls' and 'twittering bullies'.

Real balance there.

The thing is Alfiefinn - they all get paid for writing this stuff (how much a word for this piece I wonder - makinig money out of Madeleiiine!) and yet we all do it for free!!!

Last edited by NoStone on Sun 29 Apr - 14:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added making money out of Madeleine)

NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 29 Apr - 14:01

NoStone wrote:

The thing is Alfiefinn - they all get paid for writing this stuff (how much a word for this piece I wonder) and yet we all do it for free!!!

Yes, but no-one on here could write so outrageously, malevolently, inaccurately and unpleasantly, so what would our "going rate" be?

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfiefinn on Sun 29 Apr - 14:06

NoStone wrote:
Alfiefinn wrote:

I totally agree NoStone.

Real balance there.

The thing is Alfiefinn - they all get paid for writing this stuff (how much a word for this piece I wonder) and yet we all do it for free!!!

Ah NoStone,

Indeed they do - but in my opinion that just shows that for them, pay goes before principles.

For us all, it is a matter of conscience and real belief that the official story is untrue, so we need no financial inducement to say what we think.

If you have to continually pay people to tell you what you want to hear, then something isn't right. And it must be a worry to think that when the cash stops flowing, the truth may get going.

Alfiefinn
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone on Sun 29 Apr - 14:06

The End Is Nigh wrote:
NoStone wrote:

Yes, but no-one on here could write so outrageously, malevolently, inaccurately and unpleasantly, so what would our "going rate" be?

Well TIEN - obviously our words are not worth the forum they are written on

NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 on Sun 29 Apr - 18:25

This woman obviously missed the part where Redwood said that Madeleine could also be dead!

And as for talking about the bullies on twitter, she should be condemning ALL bullies, whatever side they are on, some of the most vile bullying and threats appear to be coming from those who support the mccanns, and the official Find Madeleine Campaign is spamming peoples facebook pages, when those people have never liked the page in the first place!

cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6242
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 29 Apr - 18:52

Yes, Cherry: Whether pro, anti, or fence-straddling, most people are sincere (if misguided!) about their beliefs and debate them sensibly and maturely.

And each "side", as far as I can tell, is as representative of all walks of life (age, sex, intellect, occupation etc _ but not "class" as that's a rather silly characteristic) as any other large group of people is.

Sadly, that means there are a few "nutters" - but they are spread across the spectrum. Just look at the Trolls who find their way in here on occasion - really quite unpleasant folk.

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina on Sun 29 Apr - 19:05

What I don't get is this vehement defense of the McCanns and the violent attacks on anyone who questions their story. It is without precedence. I can't remember any other case where it was almost obligatory to support two people who had been considered suspects in a crime. And this support is not based on any tangible evidence, it is only based on PR and prejudice against a southern European country.

Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 874
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 on Sun 29 Apr - 19:08

I think that may give us an indication that there is something very serious and big and involving
others here, otherwise why the need to stop the press from talking, why the government interference,
why the threatening and constant abuse against anyone who does not accept their story. When have you ever known the prime minister or chancellor to get involved in a criminal investigation, it was at the instigation of Brown that Egg efit was released, Brown was involved in getting Amaral of the case it would seem, so what are the government trying to cover up, I have my suspicions on this.

cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi on Sun 29 Apr - 19:10

Eilis is of the view that Madeleine is dead then. only at the hands of a stranger abductor. So only what some of us believe but for different reasons. Eilis should be careful people will stop putting money in the fund and looking for Madeleine, and might even be Carter Rucked. Hiya Carolina, maybe the fee was big enough to do that, maybe Eilis is just a zenophobe, i can understand the support of the McCs, even though so many inconsistencies exist, I dont understand why those who dont swallow the stance are vile, predatory, nasty etc. but maybe they also just found some new words. So am i going to get excited, nah ive got stuff to do in my life and im getting on with it. jimo

tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3098
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman on Sun 29 Apr - 19:17

As usual its all about kate and gerry. Can any of tbese people see it is because people care about madeline these sites exist. They are not about kate and gerry.

mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic on Sun 29 Apr - 19:19

Eilis O'Hanlon ‏ @eilisohanlon

I see anti-McCannites are out in force, even dragging #Murdoch and #Cameron into the conspiracy. Why not aliens too? Idiots. #mccann

So now we're idiots.
I wonder if this unenlightened **** realises that she's very likely calling some of her own readership idiots?
Another one for the boycott blacklist - and that includes her alternative pen name too.

almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 29 Apr - 19:19

@mossman

That's absolutely right - What I think about Healy & McCann is incidental to the wider mystery: in particular where Madeleine is now.

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 on Sun 29 Apr - 19:26

If she is calling people idiots who dont believe the story then she is also calling a hell of a lot of
police officers idiots who dont believe the story as well as Mark Harrison and I dont think she would
say that to his face either.

cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic on Sun 29 Apr - 19:28

cherry1 wrote:If she is calling people idiots who dont believe the story then she is also calling a hell of a lot of
police officers idiots who dont believe the story as well as Mark Harrison and I dont think she would
say that to his face either.

Well said!

almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 29 Apr - 19:32

Do these mouthy detractors have the remotest idea of the sheer scale of the "anti" camp?

And how far its tentacles spread?

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfiefinn on Sun 29 Apr - 19:36

The End Is Nigh wrote:Do these mouthy detractors have the remotest idea of the sheer scale of the "anti" camp?

And how far its tentacles spread?

Nah, for they live in a pink-hued land, where the sun always shines upon those who practices are 'well within the bounds of responsible parenting', and where the adoring and supine public live, preparing themselves for the next missive from on high.

Alfiefinn
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun 29 Apr - 19:39

(second smiley isn'y relevant - but I saw it and decided I just had to have it!)

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic on Sun 29 Apr - 19:49

GasparStatement ‏ @GasparStatement

@J4MBM @eilisohanlon must be Ardal's less amusing sister lolol #mccann

almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100