Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann

+12
LJC
Bebootje
Chris
jozi
Oldartform
T4two
kitti
MaryB
mossman
Bobsy
cass
Karen
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann Empty Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann

Post  Karen Tue 29 May - 10:21

Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 306321 everyone, Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 25346

Yesterday early morning on Sky News when discussing the Leveson enquiry the Correspondent stated that Theresa May will be giving evidence at the inquiry TODAY and will SPECIFICALLY be asked about her relationship with Rebecca Brooks and the question regarding the Operation Grange review will be put to her as well..............I suppose the bit about her (blackmailed) pic being splashed all over the papers.

I have started the TOPIC as I am sure we will hear some very interesting statement (lies) today re the REVIEW I have my cuppa on the ready - will be watching and will try and update as soon as possible.

Enjoy the circus!!

Last edited by Karen on Tue 29 May - 12:57; edited 1 time in total
Karen
Karen
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 635
Warning :
Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann Empty Re: Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann

Post  cass Tue 29 May - 10:26

i will be looking forward to the updates karen --- Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 306321 Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 306321
cass
cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1654
Warning :
Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann Empty Re: Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann

Post  kitti Tue 29 May - 10:29

She will squirm round it as not to upset the mighty Murdoch...just in case she has skeletons in her closet...
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Tue 29 May - 11:09

Anyone know what time she's on? I don't want to miss it! Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 25346
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobsy Tue 29 May - 11:56

wjk wrote:Anyone know what time she's on? I don't want to miss it! Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 25346

She's on now wjk. I have it on the live button on the tv. Nothing as yet re the McCanns.
Bobsy
Bobsy
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 913
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue 29 May - 12:29

Hopefully Robert Jay will ask her what changed between her meeting with the MCs in 2009 and Cameron's decision in 2011. I suspect he might not though.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue 29 May - 12:42

So according to May a possible review had been ongoing for over two years and just happened to come to fruition at the time of the begging letter published in the Sun.

ETA The cynical amongst us may not believe it though.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Tue 29 May - 12:51

I think this woman has played safe during her whole appearance and not really said anything - a pretty pointless waste of time.

She said the McCann business had been under discussion with the Association of Chief Police Officers for some time as to whether and how a review could or should be carried out and said the discussions were coming to fruition around the same time as the Letter to the Prime Minister.

She also said that she was not pressurised by Brooks or Mohan. Maybe she is trying to steer power away from RB by saying this.

A waste of Leveson`s time.

Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 625
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue 29 May - 12:55

Oldartform wrote:I think this woman has played safe during her whole appearance and not really said anything - a pretty pointless waste of time.

She said the McCann business had been under discussion with the Association of Chief Police Officers for some time as to whether and how a review could or should be carried out and said the discussions were coming to fruition around the same time as the Letter to the Prime Minister.

She also said that she was not pressurised by Brooks or Mohan. Maybe she is trying to steer power away from RB by saying this.

A waste of Leveson`s time.

Yep b/s from a politician - how surprising. If memory serves me correct the petition was launched because May gave them no hope of a review, yet here we have her bascially saying it was merely a matter of logistics which took them over two years before they could swing into action.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Tue 29 May - 13:25

One can hardly expect a government minister to admit to being 'blackmailed' or submitting to pressure by the Sun or an executive of News International or indeed the McCanns, even if that was the case. Perhaps Brooks was over-egging her own importance when she inferred that she had wielded that kind of power over the government. Difficult to believe anyone.
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1689
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Tue 29 May - 13:31

Chris wrote:So according to May a possible review had been ongoing for over two years and just happened to come to fruition at the time of the begging letter published in the Sun.

Well it goes some way towards endorsing what I have always thought - the begging letter was only written as a result of the McCanns being told the review was going to happen.
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Tue 29 May - 13:43

Bobsy wrote:
wjk wrote:Anyone know what time she's on? I don't want to miss it! Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 25346

She's on now wjk. I have it on the live button on the tv. Nothing as yet re the McCanns.
Thanks Bobsy, I would have missed it as I was watching Sky News for the feed Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 944533

mossman wrote:
Chris wrote:So according to May a possible review had been ongoing for over two years and just happened to come to fruition at the time of the begging letter published in the Sun.

Well it goes some way towards endorsing what I have always thought - the begging letter was only written as a result of the McCanns being told the review was going to happen.
I think you're right, mossman. Very convinient how they asked and got it within a couple of days!
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Tue 29 May - 14:00

wjk wrote:
Bobsy wrote:

Thanks Bobsy, I would have missed it as I was watching Sky News for the feed Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 944533

mossman wrote:

I think you're right, mossman. Very convinient how they asked and got it within a couple of days!

Rather in the same vein as the claim after the first time Blair was elected that, "It was the Sun wot won it". Shouting about your own self-importance sells newspapers too.
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryB Tue 29 May - 14:08

I must say I am beginning to come round to agreeing with this scenario. Review almost agreed to. And Sun and McCanns know this. Hence begging letter on front page and agreement next day so it was the mighty Sun that great bastion of the people who won the case. And let's face it, it is entirely possible that the Sun got wind of the Review being agreed on a date and printed the letter the day before. Therefore it looked like they forced the review.

Last edited by MaryB on Tue 29 May - 14:20; edited 1 time in total
MaryB
MaryB
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1581
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Tue 29 May - 14:17

Michael Gove now on and he is the complete opposite of Theresa May - precise in his opinions and blunt and very informative.

Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Annabel Tue 29 May - 16:14

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2012-05-29/home-secretary-denies-pressure-for-madeleine-probe/

Home Secretary denies pressure for Madeleine probe

Last updated Tue 29 May 2012

Theresa May denies claims that NI pressured her into launching a fresh inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine.

Theresa May has denied claims that News International pressured her into launching a fresh inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

The Home Secretary rebuffed suggestions made at the Leveson Inquiry that she was told they would "put her face on the front page every day" until she gave in to their demands for a new investigation.

She said preparations for the new investigation began under the previous government and the work was simply coming to fruition when the announcement was made.

Also here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-denies-news-international-pressured-her-for-renewed-madeleine-probe-7800548.html

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/education-news/birmingham-schools/2012/05/29/may-denies-madeleine-probe-claims-97319-31069674/
Annabel
Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 29 May - 18:38

The McCanns approached another MP, he was on the Panorama Programme, Labour I think. Then they approached Theresa May and when Cameron asked what efforts were being made to find Madeleine May said they were thinking of "Scoping" but Cameron was the one who decided on the review and as Home Secretary, she could not overrule him. I don't think May was forced to do anything . I did look up "scoping" in the Dictionary but there was no definition of the word.

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Tue 29 May - 21:12

If a review was already in progress then why are we paying 2m for redwood to do his review.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Tue 29 May - 21:52

kitti wrote:If a review was already in progress then why are we paying 2m for redwood to do his review.

It wasn't actually underway it was being scoped - which as I understand it means that all aspects of what needed to be done, i.e. the remit, and how many people would be required to do it, were being looked at in order to come up with a definite plan of action so that costs could be estimated and a budget drawn up - all this as the basis required for arriving at a decision. Having got all this information together the planned review and estimated costs - in this case 3 million pounds - were then given the ok by Cameron and the 'review' was announced and duly commenced. Of course it would have been far better if Scotland Yard had behaved like a real police force interested in solving whatever crime(s) had been committed. Based on the information known at Leicestershire Constabulary and the case files from Portugal it would have been a simple matter of pulling in the main suspects and their accomplices, leaning on them in the good old fashioned way the British police have with miscreants - especially if they live in council estates - and no doubt getting at the truth and charging the appropriate people accordingly. This would have cost a few thousand pounds at the most and justice would have been served. Unfortunately, getting at the truth and arresting those responsible for Madeleine McCann's disappearance, feared deceased does not appear to be part of the remit, unlike trawling through files, sifting through information and consulting psychics as well as other equally useless activities all designed for the purpose of procrastination, but you won't hear anyone admit this at the Leveson inquiry.
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Tue 29 May - 22:57

Although May denied any pressure from Brooks and Mohan when she contacted them, the pressure wasn`t supposed to have been applied to her (from what Jay stated), it was applied to Cameron. Jay inferred RB or DM had made the statement about putting May on the front page until Cameron relented. So she could in all honesty state she didn`t feel any pressure from Brooks.
Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 29 May - 23:53

The McCanns and The Sun put the pressure on Cameron with the Letter to him in The Sun and if this Review turns up nothing, as I think will be the case, Cameron will have to answer to those in his Party who opposed such an expense when the Country is in dire straits. In fact, with his obvious
connection to Murdoch I will be surprised if he is still PM at the end of the 4 years.e has been a very ineffectual PM so far.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 30 May - 0:38

Annabel kindly PM'd me the following definition of the word Scope , very similar to T4two's.

scope (skp)
n.
1. The range of one's perceptions, thoughts, or actions.
2. Breadth or opportunity to function. See Synonyms at room.
3. The area covered by a given activity or subject. See Synonyms at range.
4. The length or sweep of a mooring cable.
5. Informal A viewing instrument such as a periscope, microscope, or telescope.
tr.v. scoped, scop·ing, scopes Slang
To examine or investigate. Often used with out: "Their World Wide Web site is, for now, the best place to scope out the future of the media business in cyberspace." (Marc Gunther).

Well " The area covered by a given activity or subject"....in this case they are leaving"No Stone Unturned" in their investigation. 35 Staff, 11 months work, 195 garbage possible leads , and so far ZILCH. Time to call it a day SY , you are never gonna find any useful info now, Campbell , the knives will
be out for you . Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann Empty Ed Miliband tells Leveson McCann coverage breached PCC code – video

Post  Annabel Thu 14 Jun - 6:44

Annabel
Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 14 Jun - 7:02

Thanks Annabel. I don't like Ed Miliband and his sympathy for the McCanns is misguided , the McCanns have used the Press shamefully when it suits
them and like every one else connected with the approval of this Review failed to read the PJ Final Report I suspect.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Theresa May - LEVESON INQUIRY - M McCann Empty So many references to the McCanns!

Post  comperedna Thu 14 Jun - 11:30

I do rather like Ed Milliband, and was very surprised that, when talking about press intrusion, if he mentioned the McCanns once, he did so more than half a dozen times. He mentioned no other people badly treated by press. There was a time when the McCanns were indeed badly treated by the British press, but they have also shamelessly used the press in unjustifiable ways when it suited them. It felt to me as if Milliband had in some way been 'nobbled' by GM or someone pushing on his behalf... but, of course, I have no evidence at all for that. I was disappointed in Milliband, as well as surprised
comperedna
comperedna
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 865
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next