Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell

+5
kathybelle
cherry1
Lioned
Lillyofthevalley
margaret
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 Empty Re: A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell

Post  Guest Sun 8 Jul - 9:46

Latin?

Pfft.

What was wrong with Ancient Hebrew?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 Empty Re: A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell

Post  Panda Sun 8 Jul - 9:51

Not Born Yesterday wrote:It was "come on mother's washing day" when I was a child! It just meant don't rain today and spoil my fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_Rain_Go_Away

I love the sound of a scarecrow festival, it must be very hard to tell the difference sometimes between scarecrows and their owners.

Thanks NBY, I knew what it meant but thought it cruel to suggest the washing wouldn't dry. A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 25346 If I was standing next to a Scarecrow you could tell the difference.......I must stop eating chocolate!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 8 Jul - 9:56

The End Is Nigh wrote:Latin?

Pfft.

Morning TIEN, it"s quite amazing the sayings that go back Centuries.... "Ring a ring a Rosie, a pocketful of tosie, atishoo, atishoo, we all fall down"
goes back to the time of the Plague.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sun 8 Jul - 10:11

Panda wrote:

Pfft.

Morning TIEN, it"s quite amazing the sayings that go back Centuries.... "Ring a ring a Rosie, a pocketful of tosie, atishoo, atishoo, we all fall down"

Ooof, I thought it was 'ring around the rosie, a pocket full of posie....'
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Sun 8 Jul - 10:17

Pfft.

Come on, be fair... I'm not that old. A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 294124
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 8 Jul - 10:30

pennylane wrote:
Panda wrote:

Pfft.

Morning pennylane, "tosie", "posie" still wouldn't enlighten us, until now we know the origin ....I'll check out wikipedia A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sun 8 Jul - 10:35

Panda wrote:
pennylane wrote:
Panda wrote:

Pfft.

Morning pennylane, "tosie", "posie" still wouldn't enlighten us, until now we know the origin ....I'll check out wikipedia A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 25346

OMG PANDA!!!!! A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 87849

"Over the years, we have sung the words to a children's song without ever knowing what it meant. Many people are very surprised when they find out how dark and depressing, "Ring Around the Rosie," actually is. These people cannot believe that the song is actually about the Bubonic Plague.

If the song is broken down into comments and lines, it is easier to see how dark and depressing the song actually is.

Ring Around the Rosie

When a person contracted the Bubonic Plague, they would gain rose-colored, puss-filled sores on their body called rosies. As the infection spread, rings would wind around the rosies. "Ring around the rosie," refers to these rings.

Pocket Full of Posies

During the time of the Bubonic Plague, people realized that it was harmful to go around the body of someone who had died from the plague. The common practice in some areas of Europe was to fill the shirt or jacket pocket of the deceased with posies so that others would know to leave the body alone.

"Pocket full of posies," was what would soon happen after the person started getting the rings around the rosie. Once the rings started to form, the undertaker would be called to prepare the posies.

Ashes Ashes

Once the body of the person who had died from the plague had been taken away, it would be burned. This is essentially when cremation started as a form of burial.

There was a lot of worry that extra handling of the body could cause people to get sick. There was also worry by some that the body would come back in the form of a vampire or some other type of the walking dead. Burning the body was the only true option they had.

We All Fall Down

It was believed by many that eventually that Bubonic Plague would wipe out all of civilization. It is understandable why they had this belief because of the number of people that were dying everyday from the Plague.

The Black Death killed off an estimated 20-35% of the population of Eurasia during its historic run. It was nearly impossible for anyone to not know at least one person who died from the Plague at the time.

This nursery rime has been with us for centuries, and will probably be sung for centuries more. It is interesting about how many people have sung this song without knowing what it meant."

Published by L. Vincent Poupard - Featured Contributor in Arts & Entertainment and Travel

A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 477442
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 8 Jul - 10:56

pennylane wrote:
Panda wrote:
pennylane wrote:
Panda wrote:

Pfft.

OMG PANDA!!!!! A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 87849

"Over the years, we have sung the words to a children's song without ever knowing what it meant. Many people are very surprised when they find out how dark and depressing, "Ring Around the Rosie," actually is. These people cannot believe that the song is actually about the Bubonic Plague.

If the song is broken down into comments and lines, it is easier to see how dark and depressing the song actually is.

Ring Around the Rosie

When a person contracted the Bubonic Plague, they would gain rose-colored, puss-filled sores on their body called rosies. As the infection spread, rings would wind around the rosies. "Ring around the rosie," refers to these rings.

Pocket Full of Posies

During the time of the Bubonic Plague, people realized that it was harmful to go around the body of someone who had died from the plague. The common practice in some areas of Europe was to fill the shirt or jacket pocket of the deceased with posies so that others would know to leave the body alone.

"Pocket full of posies," was what would soon happen after the person started getting the rings around the rosie. Once the rings started to form, the undertaker would be called to prepare the posies.

Ashes Ashes

Once the body of the person who had died from the plague had been taken away, it would be burned. This is essentially when cremation started as a form of burial.

There was a lot of worry that extra handling of the body could cause people to get sick. There was also worry by some that the body would come back in the form of a vampire or some other type of the walking dead. Burning the body was the only true option they had.

We All Fall Down

It was believed by many that eventually that Bubonic Plague would wipe out all of civilization. It is understandable why they had this belief because of the number of people that were dying everyday from the Plague.

The Black Death killed off an estimated 20-35% of the population of Eurasia during its historic run. It was nearly impossible for anyone to not know at least one person who died from the Plague at the time.

This nursery rime has been with us for centuries, and will probably be sung for centuries more. It is interesting about how many people have sung this song without knowing what it meant."

Published by L. Vincent Poupard - Featured Contributor in Arts & Entertainment and Travel

A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 477442

Hi pennylane, I was searching same time as you... A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 25346

AKA as Ring a ring o' rosies

Ring around the rosy
A pocketful of posies
"Ashes, Ashes"
We all fall down!
Ring-a-Ring o'Rosies
A Pocket full of Posies
"A-tishoo! A-tishoo!"
We all fall Down!

Ring around the rosy
AKA as Ring a ring o' rosies

You were right it is 'posies'.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sun 8 Jul - 11:16

We were blissfully ignorant in the old days, Panda.
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 8 Jul - 11:36

pennylane wrote:We were blissfully ignorant in the old days, Panda.

It's very interesting , there were rhymes about Kings and Queens and I don't mean Old King Cole these were more critical . All the more amazing because these were ordinary people who lived in poverty and squalor and could not read or write.!!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 8 Jul - 12:11

And don't even think about "Puff The Magic Dragon"

Ooooh, the colours, man!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 Empty The Psychedelic Sixties

Post  Guest Sun 8 Jul - 12:19

Sorry Clarence - we seem to have forgotten all about you.

I've only realised recently that Puff the Magic Dragon isn't the innocent song that it was to me as a child. I've also heard that MacArthur Park has more meaning that what I thought was a p*ss take on over-dramatic ballads but, unless it's drug-related - rather obvious for the 60s - I don't know what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WHx0B90FUc

In memory of all the cakes left out in the rain!

Last edited by Not Born Yesterday on Sun 8 Jul - 12:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Word deleted)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobsy Sun 8 Jul - 12:26

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Sorry Clarence - we seem to have forgotten all about you.

I've only realised recently that Puff the Magic Dragon isn't the innocent song that it was to me as a child. I've also heard that MacArthur Park has more meaning that what I was thought was a p*ss take on over-dramatic ballads but, unless it's drug-related - rather obvious for the 60s - I don't know what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WHx0B90FUc

In memory of all the cakes left out in the rain!

Good heavens that has brought back some very happy memories of early marriage, and babies and knowing the song word for word and singing whilst I hung the nappies out.
Bobsy
Bobsy
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 913
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 8 Jul - 12:32

I had never heard of it....played it and there were some quite disparaging comments and different interpretations of the meaning of the words.

I suppose you two knew what "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" was all about......my Son had to explain to me. A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobsy Sun 8 Jul - 12:41

Panda wrote:

I had never heard of it....played it and there were some quite disparaging comments and different interpretations of the meaning of the words.

I suppose you two knew what "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" was all about......my Son had to explain to me. A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 294124

Actually Panda I didn't know the reference to drugs A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 87849 I just loved the music of the cake out in the rain. And Lucy in the sky, the music that is, didn't appeal to me, but Richard Harris's rendition did, well I was nowt but a lass and still wearing those glasses with the rose tint A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 929468
Bobsy
Bobsy
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 913
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Sun 8 Jul - 12:46

It brought back memories for me also... I still find it hard to believe Richard Harris has such a fine singing voice.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 Empty Hippy dippy times

Post  Guest Sun 8 Jul - 12:48

John Lennon (or it might have been Paul McCartney) claimed that the song was inspired by a drawing John's son had done of a little friend called Lucy and that's more credible than some of the other things on this forum!

Yes, almost certainly it was about the drug LSD. It was on the Sergeant Pepper album and it would be quicker to say which of the songs there were not about drugs than those that were.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 8 Jul - 13:03

Not Born Yesterday wrote:John Lennon (or it might have been Paul McCartney) claimed that the song was inspired by a drawing John's son had done of a little friend called Lucy and that's more credible than some of the other things on this forum!

Yes, almost certainly it was about the drug LSD. It was on the Sergeant Pepper album and it would be quicker to say which of the songs there were not about drugs than those that were.

I tried a "spliff" a couple of times, got the giggles and worried I would get addicted. A Professional Liar........Clarence Mitchell - Page 3 23324 Off to watch the Tennis now , catch up later.

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3