Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

EHIC Card

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EHIC Card

Post  Angelina on Mon 23 Jul - 11:59

For some time now Spanish hospitals have been refusing to accept this card when treating patients from other countries.

Now I've heard that Portugal has started charging people for treatment and not accepting the card.

Can you imagine the uproar if the UK tried to charge foreign visitors if NHS hospitals tried the same thing!

Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2928
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  Panda on Mon 23 Jul - 13:45

Angelina wrote:For some time now Spanish hospitals have been refusing to accept this card when treating patients from other countries.

Now I've heard that Portugal has started charging people for treatment and not accepting the card.

Can you imagine the uproar if the UK tried to charge foreign visitors if NHS hospitals tried the same thing!

Hi Angelina, Luckily I have never had an accident or been ill on Holiday and do have Holiday Insurance anyway. It's not just Europeans who benefit from
Health Care, Middle Easterners who have never contributed financially enjoy not just Hospital treatment, Free prescriptions, Dental Treatment and
when the indigenous population is now experiencing long delays for treatment and some cutbacks you have to wonder why no Government will tackle
this problem. A while ago I was in Boots the Chemist waiting for a prescription and the Muslim Woman in front of me picked up her prescription and I am
not exaggerating , it was the biggest Boots Bag FULL of prescription items!!!!

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  Angelina on Mon 23 Jul - 15:45

Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2928
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  Panda on Mon 23 Jul - 15:54

Angelina wrote:Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

A Couple who I know but wouldn't say we were friends were on holiday in Turkey when the Husband had a heart Attack. He was rushed to Hospital but
Turkey has no reciprical Health care agreement. Because he had a a Heart Problem he did'nt declare it on his Holiday Insurance so the policy was void.

The treatment in Turkey cost £5,000 and the Wife had to go home, sell the car, borrow the remainder from the Bank and pay the Hospital Bill before
her Husband could be released.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  Angelina on Mon 23 Jul - 16:25

Panda wrote:
Angelina wrote:Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

A Couple who I know but wouldn't say we were friends were on holiday in Turkey when the Husband had a heart Attack. He was rushed to Hospital but
Turkey has no reciprical Health care agreement. Because he had a a Heart Problem he did'nt declare it on his Holiday Insurance so the policy was void.

The treatment in Turkey cost £5,000 and the Wife had to go home, sell the car, borrow the remainder from the Bank and pay the Hospital Bill before
her Husband could be released.

That is a really silly thing to do, you need to declare everything.

I heard of the same sort of thing but in Canada....the wife had a bill of £180,000 so the couple you know were relatively lucky!

Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2928
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  fuzeta on Mon 23 Jul - 20:22

Angelina wrote:Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

This is very true Angelina. However if you are in Europe I have found the standards there far better than outs. Places like Africa and such you would obviously be put into a private one as you know.

My husband had to have treatment for pneumonia whilst we were in Portugal this year. We went to the local clinic and got excellent instant treatment. First class it was. An X ray with results was immediately done. Oxygen was given, an injection of antibiotics , a prescription for decent drugs with some strength in them ( not try these, see if they work and come back if you are no better in a week. One always knows one will be back in a week or dead!

My husband presented his card, he was charged a few euros for the treatment, probably about 5 and 3 for the x ray, which is nothing. All Portuguese people have to pay this money to the clinic as well, so that charge is not just for foreigners.

This was not the first time we have used this clinic, it is excellent. You take a numbered ticket when you go in and everyone is seen. Not any of this, the only appointment is in a weeks time such as we get.

Well done Portugal.

fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4182
Location : Beautiful Staffordshire
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  Angelina on Mon 23 Jul - 21:46

fuzeta wrote:
Angelina wrote:Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

This is very true Angelina. However if you are in Europe I have found the standards there far better than outs. Places like Africa and such you would obviously be put into a private one as you know.

My husband had to have treatment for pneumonia whilst we were in Portugal this year. We went to the local clinic and got excellent instant treatment. First class it was. An X ray with results was immediately done. Oxygen was given, an injection of antibiotics , a prescription for decent drugs with some strength in them ( not try these, see if they work and come back if you are no better in a week. One always knows one will be back in a week or dead!

My husband presented his card, he was charged a few euros for the treatment, probably about 5 and 3 for the x ray, which is nothing. All Portuguese people have to pay this money to the clinic as well, so that charge is not just for foreigners.

This was not the first time we have used this clinic, it is excellent. You take a numbered ticket when you go in and everyone is seen. Not any of this, the only appointment is in a weeks time such as we get.

Well done Portugal.

Yes Fuzeta, from what I've heard the clinics in Spain and Portugal are very good but it's a a different story in Greece and I would not want to be in one of their public hospitals.

I wasn't really talking about poor treatment, only that it's becoming more likely that full payment for any treatment will be necessary. I know for a fact it's already happening so if I go to Europe I will be taking more actual cash with me (some places aren't keen on credit cards either).

Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2928
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  fuzeta on Mon 23 Jul - 22:08

Angelina wrote:
fuzeta wrote:
Angelina wrote:Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

This is very true Angelina. However if you are in Europe I have found the standards there far better than outs. Places like Africa and such you would obviously be put into a private one as you know.

My husband had to have treatment for pneumonia whilst we were in Portugal this year. We went to the local clinic and got excellent instant treatment. First class it was. An X ray with results was immediately done. Oxygen was given, an injection of antibiotics , a prescription for decent drugs with some strength in them ( not try these, see if they work and come back if you are no better in a week. One always knows one will be back in a week or dead!

My husband presented his card, he was charged a few euros for the treatment, probably about 5 and 3 for the x ray, which is nothing. All Portuguese people have to pay this money to the clinic as well, so that charge is not just for foreigners.

This was not the first time we have used this clinic, it is excellent. You take a numbered ticket when you go in and everyone is seen. Not any of this, the only appointment is in a weeks time such as we get.

Well done Portugal.

Yes Fuzeta, from what I've heard the clinics in Spain and Portugal are very good but it's a a different story in Greece and I would not want to be in one of their public hospitals.

I wasn't really talking about poor treatment, only that it's becoming more likely that full payment for any treatment will be necessary. I know for a fact it's already happening so if I go to Europe I will be taking more actual cash with me (some places aren't keen on credit cards either).

I know you were not talking about poor treatment Angelina I hope that they do not charge us because it goes against the whole point of being in the EU. As you say everyone is entitled to free treatment here.

I have many an experience with Greek hospitals Angelina. I remember having an examination at our local one. The sort with legs in stirrups! The world and his wife came in and everyone had a good look! A friend of mine who lived there had the same experience (seemed to be a lot of legs in stirrups exams ) Also someone came in selling Christmas cards

Our hospital was attached to the mental health residence next door. Many of the patients were free to wander about. There used to be a lot of men in white coats purporting to be doctors. I did used to wonder at times The treatment was alright, though we never had anything serious. If anyone was seriously ill on our island they used to send a helicopter to take them to Athens. Now I never had a stay in a Greek hospital but was told by the Greek people it was a bit grim!!



Last edited by fuzeta on Mon 23 Jul - 22:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling and to add)

fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4182
Location : Beautiful Staffordshire
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  Claudia79 on Mon 23 Jul - 23:58

fuzeta wrote:
Angelina wrote:Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

This is very true Angelina. However if you are in Europe I have found the standards there far better than outs. Places like Africa and such you would obviously be put into a private one as you know.

My husband had to have treatment for pneumonia whilst we were in Portugal this year. We went to the local clinic and got excellent instant treatment. First class it was. An X ray with results was immediately done. Oxygen was given, an injection of antibiotics , a prescription for decent drugs with some strength in them ( not try these, see if they work and come back if you are no better in a week. One always knows one will be back in a week or dead!

My husband presented his card, he was charged a few euros for the treatment, probably about 5 and 3 for the x ray, which is nothing. All Portuguese people have to pay this money to the clinic as well, so that charge is not just for foreigners.

This was not the first time we have used this clinic, it is excellent. You take a numbered ticket when you go in and everyone is seen. Not any of this, the only appointment is in a weeks time such as we get.

Well done Portugal.

We all criticise our National Health System (SNS) but deep down we all know it is quite good. When things go wrong in private facilities patients always end up in our hospitals to get things sorted.

Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7004
Age : 37
Location : Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  fuzeta on Tue 24 Jul - 7:45

Claudia79 wrote:
fuzeta wrote:
Angelina wrote:Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

This is very true Angelina. However if you are in Europe I have found the standards there far better than outs. Places like Africa and such you would obviously be put into a private one as you know.

My husband had to have treatment for pneumonia whilst we were in Portugal this year. We went to the local clinic and got excellent instant treatment. First class it was. An X ray with results was immediately done. Oxygen was given, an injection of antibiotics , a prescription for decent drugs with some strength in them ( not try these, see if they work and come back if you are no better in a week. One always knows one will be back in a week or dead!

My husband presented his card, he was charged a few euros for the treatment, probably about 5 and 3 for the x ray, which is nothing. All Portuguese people have to pay this money to the clinic as well, so that charge is not just for foreigners.

This was not the first time we have used this clinic, it is excellent. You take a numbered ticket when you go in and everyone is seen. Not any of this, the only appointment is in a weeks time such as we get.

Well done Portugal.

We all criticise our National Health System (SNS) but deep down we all know it is quite good. When things go wrong in private facilities patients always end up in our hospitals to get things sorted.

Hello Claudia, that happens here as well.

fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4182
Location : Beautiful Staffordshire
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  wjk on Tue 24 Jul - 8:47

Fuzeta "Also someone came in selling Christmas cards "
OMG! Probably not funny at the time though!


wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Age : 51
Location : Manchester
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  Claudia79 on Tue 24 Jul - 15:41

fuzeta wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:
fuzeta wrote:
Angelina wrote:Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

This is very true Angelina. However if you are in Europe I have found the standards there far better than outs. Places like Africa and such you would obviously be put into a private one as you know.

My husband had to have treatment for pneumonia whilst we were in Portugal this year. We went to the local clinic and got excellent instant treatment. First class it was. An X ray with results was immediately done. Oxygen was given, an injection of antibiotics , a prescription for decent drugs with some strength in them ( not try these, see if they work and come back if you are no better in a week. One always knows one will be back in a week or dead!

My husband presented his card, he was charged a few euros for the treatment, probably about 5 and 3 for the x ray, which is nothing. All Portuguese people have to pay this money to the clinic as well, so that charge is not just for foreigners.

This was not the first time we have used this clinic, it is excellent. You take a numbered ticket when you go in and everyone is seen. Not any of this, the only appointment is in a weeks time such as we get.

Well done Portugal.

We all criticise our National Health System (SNS) but deep down we all know it is quite good. When things go wrong in private facilities patients always end up in our hospitals to get things sorted.

Hello Claudia, that happens here as well.

Hope you're well!

Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7004
Age : 37
Location : Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  fuzeta on Tue 24 Jul - 19:45

[quote="wjk"]Fuzeta "Also someone came in selling Christmas cards "

Hi WJK . Hilarious is'nt it? Can't believe it happened really but it did

fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4182
Location : Beautiful Staffordshire
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  fuzeta on Tue 24 Jul - 19:46

Claudia79 wrote:
fuzeta wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:
fuzeta wrote:
Angelina wrote:Holiday insurance is essential, wherever you go. A lot of people think because they have insurance that they are entitled to go to a private hospital if ill on holiday...this is not so. If there is any possibility of you going into a state hospital that is what will happen. Not a pleasant thought with some countries.

This is very true Angelina. However if you are in Europe I have found the standards there far better than outs. Places like Africa and such you would obviously be put into a private one as you know.

My husband had to have treatment for pneumonia whilst we were in Portugal this year. We went to the local clinic and got excellent instant treatment. First class it was. An X ray with results was immediately done. Oxygen was given, an injection of antibiotics , a prescription for decent drugs with some strength in them ( not try these, see if they work and come back if you are no better in a week. One always knows one will be back in a week or dead!

My husband presented his card, he was charged a few euros for the treatment, probably about 5 and 3 for the x ray, which is nothing. All Portuguese people have to pay this money to the clinic as well, so that charge is not just for foreigners.

This was not the first time we have used this clinic, it is excellent. You take a numbered ticket when you go in and everyone is seen. Not any of this, the only appointment is in a weeks time such as we get.

Well done Portugal.

We all criticise our National Health System (SNS) but deep down we all know it is quite good. When things go wrong in private facilities patients always end up in our hospitals to get things sorted.

Hello Claudia, that happens here as well.

Hope you're well!

We are fine Claudia thank you. I hope that you and your family are too

fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4182
Location : Beautiful Staffordshire
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Card

Post  Sponsored content Today at 13:27


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum