Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

"Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  interested on Sat 1 Sep - 3:23

"The parents of Madeleine McCann are hoping to win 1 million pound libel payout this month from a former cop who claims they lied about their daughter's disappearance."

Of course the obligatory "Any damages will go towards the hunt for Maddie, say the McCanns."

The above is taken from the on-line Sun, September 1st. Sorry, I still can't "do" links.

interested
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2424
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  jinvta on Sat 1 Sep - 4:58

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4515088/Maddie-McCann-parents-1m-bid-over-lies.html

By ANTONELLA LAZZERI

THE parents of Madeleine McCann are hoping to win a £1million libel payout this month from a former cop who claims they lied about their daughter’s disappearance.

Goncalo Amaral, 55, was the police boss who led the initial search for Maddie after her abduction in May 2007 in Praia da Luz, Portugal.

He went on to write a book sold worldwide in which he claimed her parents covered up her death from an accident or overdose of sedatives.

Kate and Gerry, both 44, from Rothley, Leics, said the slurs left them “totally destroyed”.

Their lawyer, Isabel Duarte, told The Sun: “We reasonably expect compensation for the dreadful damages this book has brought the family.”

The case is due to start in Lisbon on the 13th.

Any damages will go towards the hunt for Maddie, say the McCanns.

jinvta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1065
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Annabel on Sat 1 Sep - 7:45

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/270014/Maddie-parents-libel-bid/MADDIE PARENTS’ LIBEL BID

If they win the case every penny they receive in damages will go into the Madeleine Fund


Spokesman Clarence Mitchell
1st September 2012
By Jerry Lawton

MADELEINE McCann’s parents hope to win a £1million libel payout this month from the ex-police chief who claimed they lied about their daughter’s disappearance.

Any damages awarded to Kate and Gerry McCann will be spent on the global search for the youngster.


A court hearing is due to start on September 13 in Lisbon. The McCanns’ are still considering whether to appear to face


Goncalo Amaral, 55, who wrote in his book The Truth Of The Lie that Madeleine was dead.


The McCanns’ lawyer Isabel Duarte said Kate and Gerry, both 44, of Rothley, Leics, were confident of victory.


And their spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “If they win the case every penny they receive in damages will go into the Madeleine Fund


Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Location : Europe
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  AnnaEsse on Sat 1 Sep - 8:22

Annabel wrote:http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/270014/Maddie-parents-libel-bid/MADDIE PARENTS’ LIBEL BID

If they win the case every penny they receive in damages will go into the Madeleine Fund


Spokesman Clarence Mitchell
1st September 2012
By Jerry Lawton

MADELEINE McCann’s parents hope to win a £1million libel payout this month from the ex-police chief who claimed they lied about their daughter’s disappearance.

Any damages awarded to Kate and Gerry McCann will be spent on the global search for the youngster.


A court hearing is due to start on September 13 in Lisbon. The McCanns’ are still considering whether to appear to face


Goncalo Amaral, 55, who wrote in his book The Truth Of The Lie that Madeleine was dead.


The McCanns’ lawyer Isabel Duarte said Kate and Gerry, both 44, of Rothley, Leics, were confident of victory.


And their spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “If they win the case every penny they receive in damages will go into the Madeleine Fund


The Daily Star has given the English title of Amaral's book, so perhaps a few readers will look for it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18459
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Lillyofthevalley on Sat 1 Sep - 8:31

Well done The Daily Star

Lillyofthevalley
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1552
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Guest on Sat 1 Sep - 8:33

In the highly unlikely event they succeed in their bid to further suppress The Truth (Of The Lie), one has to wonder what actually constitutes the "global search".

Healy & McCann themselves have expended the bare minimum of shoe leather, preferring instead to let decent citizens of PDL, Police Officers and latterly highly dubious Private Agencies to do the groundwork.

And many other children have been rendered more vulnerable by having their pictures taken by strangers.

Despite all of that, there is still not a shred of evidence that Madeleine was Abducted (at least in the sense the gullible have been led to believe) and there is nothing of substance to rule out involvement by two of the former Arguidos.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Karen on Sat 1 Sep - 8:34

interested wrote:"The parents of Madeleine McCann are hoping to win 1 million pound libel payout this month from a former cop who claims they lied about their daughter's disappearance."

Of course the obligatory "Any damages will go towards the hunt for Maddie, say the McCanns."

The above is taken from the on-line Sun, September 1st. Sorry, I still can't "do" links.

Thanks alot for that

TO "do"links - this is what you do - when you are on the article - click mouse on the topic. top left of your screen, (http: www - search engine) copy the link then type your message - then paste the link, for example http://missingmadeleine.forumotion.net/post?p=409642&mode=quote try it!!

Karen
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 635
Location : The Netherlands
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  AnnaEsse on Sat 1 Sep - 8:34

From the Sun:

He went on to write a book sold worldwide in which he claimed her parents covered up her death from an accident or overdose of sedatives.

Some readers may wonder why this book, sold worldwide, is not on the shelves of the shops they visit. And if anyone reading has been in a coma for the last 5 years, they now know about suspicions of death by accident or overdose. A nice succinct little article for Sun readers to take in the important details.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18459
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Guest on Sat 1 Sep - 8:36

AnnaEsse wrote:From the Sun:

He went on to write a book sold worldwide in which he claimed her parents covered up her death from an accident or overdose of sedatives.

Some readers may wonder why this book, sold worldwide, is not on the shelves of the shops they visit. And if anyone reading has been in a coma for the last 5 years, they now know about suspicions of death by accident or overdose. A nice succinct little article for Sun readers to take in the important details.

"The Sun" and "readers" are incompatible terms - what they need (What they really, really need) is Pictures. That's the only way for them to keep abreast.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Karen on Sat 1 Sep - 8:59

I have just tweeted the article and asked for retweets (RT) I have also tweeted Jerry Lawton of The Daily Star I have thanked him from ALL of us and asked my followers to do same.
The Truth of the Lie may fly of bookshelves thanks to him.
I told him he was a "legend" for mentioning the book.

The tweeting seems to be working.

Karen
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 635
Location : The Netherlands
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Panda on Sat 1 Sep - 9:14

At least the Daily Star tells it like it is......"A court hearing is due to start on September 13 in Lisbon. The McCanns’ are still considering whether to appear to face Goncalo Amaral, 55, who wrote in his book The Truth Of The Lie that Madeleine was dead".

All they can think of yet again is MONEY!!!

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Guest on Sat 1 Sep - 9:17

Karen wrote:I have just tweeted the article and asked for retweets (RT) I have also tweeted Jerry Lawton of The Daily Star I have thanked him from ALL of us and asked my followers to do same.
The Truth of the Lie may fly of bookshelves thanks to him.
I told him he was a "legend" for mentioning the book.

The tweeting seems to be working.


No idea about Tweeting, but if it's spreading the word, then very well done

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Guest on Sat 1 Sep - 9:20

As for "the McCanns are still considering whether to appear .....", let us not forget that all they can do is apply to the Court for leave not to attend in person. They cannot (whatever they themselves may think) make a unilateral decision.

I for one very much hope that they are obliged to attend in person - even if that (as it surely would) meant a further postponement.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Bobsy on Sat 1 Sep - 9:27

Quote,

And their spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “If they win the case every penny they receive in damages will go into the Madeleine Fund


And if they loose Clarence, what then

Bobsy
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 913
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Guest on Sat 1 Sep - 9:29

Yes ................ Can one of our Portuguese Resident Members tell us how Costs are awarded?

Especially for the (likely) circumstances mentioned by Bobsy: ie Healy & McCann bring Case; Healy & McCann lose Case; Amaral has considerable (no doubt) Costs - Does he get an Award to compensate him?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Not Born Yesterday on Sat 1 Sep - 9:34

Maybe the McCanns have got used to thinking that they aren't subject to the same tiresome rules and regulations as lesser mortals and really do feel that they can decide whether or not to make an appearance in court!


Not Born Yesterday
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6697
Age : 103
Location : Over the hills and far away
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Karen on Sat 1 Sep - 9:37

The End Is Nigh wrote:Yes ................ Can one of our Portuguese Resident Members tell us how Costs are awarded?

Especially for the (likely) circumstances mentioned by Bobsy: ie Healy & McCann bring Case; Healy & McCann lose Case; Amaral has considerable (no doubt) Costs - Does he get an Award to compensate him?

Not too sure on Court costs /charges etc etc, McCanns WILL have to pay ALL court costs if they lose, thats a certain, It will not be split as the McCanns instigated the libel trial, in terms of GA being awarded any monies, he specifically stated that he in turn would SUE McCanns for Libel once this court case is over" GA is not finished with the McCanns by a LONG shot, this trial could lead to the cards come tumbling down and the fat lady starts singing!

Karen
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 635
Location : The Netherlands
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Bobsy on Sat 1 Sep - 9:47

The 'Madeleine Fund' by it's very title it makes one think it is for Madeleine. It is a fund and it is for Madeleine, so those who want to help to find Madeleine donate, but as we know very little of it actually went on looking for Madeleine, and what does looking for really mean. I look for something and I spend however much time it takes to look till I find it. She, Madeleine, was reported by one of their PIs to be within 10kms of PdL now a circle drawn around that spot and a search done by friends and family and supporters was never done.
So if the McCanns loose the case against GA does the Madeleine Fund pay the costs? If so not out of their bank account then.

Bobsy
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 913
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Bobsy on Sat 1 Sep - 9:48

Karen wrote:
The End Is Nigh wrote:Yes ................ Can one of our Portuguese Resident Members tell us how Costs are awarded?

Especially for the (likely) circumstances mentioned by Bobsy: ie Healy & McCann bring Case; Healy & McCann lose Case; Amaral has considerable (no doubt) Costs - Does he get an Award to compensate him?

Not too sure on Court costs /charges etc etc, McCanns WILL have to pay ALL court costs if they lose, thats a certain, It will not be split as the McCanns instigated the libel trial, in terms of GA being awarded any monies, he specifically stated that he in turn would SUE McCanns for Libel once this court case is over" GA is not finished with the McCanns by a LONG shot, this trial could lead to the cards come tumbling down and the fat lady starts singing!

Hi Karen, your post has made my day. Thank you.

Bobsy
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 913
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Karen on Sat 1 Sep - 9:50

Bobsy wrote:
Karen wrote:
The End Is Nigh wrote:Yes ................ Can one of our Portuguese Resident Members tell us how Costs are awarded?

Especially for the (likely) circumstances mentioned by Bobsy: ie Healy & McCann bring Case; Healy & McCann lose Case; Amaral has considerable (no doubt) Costs - Does he get an Award to compensate him?

Not too sure on Court costs /charges etc etc, McCanns WILL have to pay ALL court costs if they lose, thats a certain, It will not be split as the McCanns instigated the libel trial, in terms of GA being awarded any monies, he specifically stated that he in turn would SUE McCanns for Libel once this court case is over" GA is not finished with the McCanns by a LONG shot, this trial could lead to the cards come tumbling down and the fat lady starts singing!

Hi Karen, your post has made my day. Thank you.

Bobsy - you are very very welcome

Karen
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 635
Location : The Netherlands
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Not Born Yesterday on Sat 1 Sep - 9:53

I'd like to see Dr Amaral also turning his attention to the worst elements of the British gutter press - Antonella Lazzeri, Tony Parsons etc - and suing them for libel.

Not Born Yesterday
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6697
Age : 103
Location : Over the hills and far away
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  whatsupdoc on Sat 1 Sep - 10:12

I'm not a legal expert but the way I see the libel case is...

The burden of proof is on the McCanns, so they have to prove their case to win.

If the McCanns brought this case stating their names and family members names then the McCanns are libel for any costs not the Madeleine Fund.

Obviously, I hope Dr. Amaral wins and goes on the sue the McCanns and the evil newspapers.

PS Sun & readers.... an impossible combination.
Do they still have a crossword in The Sun? Maybe the "Readers" think it's some kind of eye test





whatsupdoc
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Male
Number of posts : 774
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Chris on Sat 1 Sep - 11:11

Did not the Portugese Court of Appeal award costs against them when the ban was overturned. A loss of the case will no doubt follow the same path. The question is who will pay in that eventuality. The Mem and Arts of the "fund" have been changed and no longer have the provision to "support" the family.

Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1607
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  AnnaEsse on Sat 1 Sep - 11:19

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Maybe the McCanns have got used to thinking that they aren't subject to the same tiresome rules and regulations as lesser mortals and really do feel that they can decide whether or not to make an appearance in court!


There's an article in the Guardian today about new laws being viewed by the Queen and Prince Charles before they are passed. So, would the royals of Rothley expect to be summoned?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18459
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Carolina on Sat 1 Sep - 11:25

What I like about the article is the fact that there are quotation marks around the word lies, 'lies'.

Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 874
Age : 70
Location : Algarve, Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Maddie McCann parents' 1 Million Pound bid over 'lies'"

Post  Sponsored content Today at 22:38


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum