Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

"Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Loopdaloop on Sat 15 Sep - 1:33


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2203504/Is-Maddies-legacy-real-reason-little-girl-taken-care-Portuguese-police-say-British-parents-drunk-look-explanation-sinister.html

Is Maddie the reason this girl was taken into care? Portuguese police say her British parents were too drunk to look after her... but the explanation could be more sinister
However looking at Tom Rawstorne's previous articles he does love a good conspiracy.
By TOM RAWSTORNE
PUBLISHED: 23:59, 14 September 2012 | UPDATED: 00:24, 15 September 2012
Comments (0)
Share

Not far from the Portuguese apartment where Stephen Street and Colette McPartland live, their parked grey Skoda has two stickers in its rear windscreen.
One reads: Protect My Baby — Drive With Care, the other: Baby on Board — Please Don’t Speed.
It’s a noble sentiment, but for the best part of a fortnight, there has been no child — baby or otherwise — anywhere near the vehicle.

Separated: Police released this picture of Scarlett being fed by a female officer after she was taken in to care
And if the Portuguese authorities get their way, that could remain the case for a very long time.
On September 4, the married couple’s two-year-old daughter, Scarlett, was taken into care.
On that day, local police claim, the two English teachers — who have lived in Portugal for the past five years — had been drinking so heavily that Ms McPartland could not stand.
Their child, meanwhile, had been left to run wild. At one stage, it is alleged, it was only the intervention of a passer-by that prevented Scarlett from running on to a busy road nearby.
As a result, Scarlett was taken from the couple, bundled into a police car and driven to the local police station, where she was found to be wet, hungry and thirsty.


‘The parents were also taken to the police station, but they were too drunk to speak properly,’ a police spokesman said. ‘They showed absolutely no concern for her welfare, so she was taken into care.’
Police later announced that it could take up to six months to reach a decision about the girl’s future, during which time she would remain separated from her parents.
The story inevitably made headlines in Portugal and here in Britain — a shocking tale of parental negligence.
But, according to 42-year-old Mr Street and Ms McPartland, 37, it is just that: a ‘tale’. And a tall one at that. They claim the police version of events is a ‘fabrication’ and that not only were they not drunk, but that at no stage did they abandon their child.
‘Our daughter is the centre of our lives and her welfare is what we are devoted to,’ they said in a statement. They went on to blame everything that happened on ‘needless interference from an over-zealous police officer’.

Accused: The toddler's parents Stephen Street and Colette McPartland, who have denied allegations that they abandoned their two year old daughter on a Portuguese street while they went drinking
They added: ‘All parents will understand that what was a happy family life has become a nightmare for us.’
While some might be sceptical about their claims, a Mail investigation has raised a number of serious questions about the sequence of events that led to Scarlett being taken into care. Questions that may mean an innocent child has been taken from her parents for no good reason at all.
Witnesses from that night say the child was never on her own — that she was by her parents’ side in Carcavelos, a small seaside town 15 miles west of Lisbon, when the police arrived.
Further, a number of sources have confirmed that Ms McPartland is pregnant with her second child — casting doubt on suggestions that she had been drinking heavily.
Portuguese social workers investigating the child’s background are also understood to have received glowing reports about the family from those who know them.
'The police here don't like British families with kids'
So what could explain the reaction of the police that night?
The answer is certainly surprising: the unsolved mystery of Madeleine McCann’s disappearance in Portugal’s Praia da Luz in 2007.
A leader article published in Correio Da Manha, Portugal’s largest-selling daily newspaper, days after little Scarlett was seized pulls no punches in linking the two cases.
It also highlights the sense of bitterness many Portuguese people feel at the way its police force was denigrated in the wake of three-year-old Maddie’s disappearance from the apartment in which she slept while her parents, doctors Kate and Gerry McCann, ate in a restaurant nearby with friends.
The article reads: ‘The Portuguese police, this time, didn’t “lose” a little English girl, they found one dying of hunger and thirst, in Carcavelos, while her parents, British and middle class, continued to drink merrily until they were legless — so much so that they forgot their two-year-old tied to her pushchair in the sun. The PSP (Portuguese police) rescued her from death.’
The article continues: ‘What would the legendary British “snobs” say if this had happened with a Portuguese couple in London?
‘They would refer to us again as a Third World country — and how the Portuguese authorities, through laziness or incompetence, were incapable of resolving the mystery of Madeleine’s disappearance.
‘The devastated McCann couple would once again be remembered as martyrs to this strange Portuguese attitude towards abandoning one’s children while enjoying oneself. The courage to abandon children appears to be a characteristic English mania.

Links: Reports in the Portuguese press has likened the apparent neglect of Scarlett to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann
‘This couple abandoned their defenceless child — and the McCanns did the same. The difference is slight. The girl in this story was left in her pushchair: Maddie was left asleep while her parents enjoyed dinner out.’
While it is tempting to interpret these words as tabloid grandstanding, some people argue that the depth of the wounds left by the Madeleine McCann case should not be dismissed lightly.
Indeed, sources close to Mr Street and his wife are adamant the fallout from the case has influenced the way they have been treated. As one relative put it: ‘The Portuguese police do not like British families with young children.’
It is a point echoed by a Portuguese waiter who witnessed the events.
‘Seeing what I saw and reflecting on what’s happened, I do wonder if the police haven’t been a little over-zealous because of what happened with Madeleine McCann,’ he said.
‘Then they were accused of doing too little too late. Maybe now they want to be seen to be strict with parents they feel have neglected their kids and have over-reacted.
‘I’m sure that if they had been Portuguese and they were drunk, as the police say, someone would have got hold of them and taken them back home, and all this could have been avoided. It’s very unfortunate.’
From the couple’s point of view, that is something of an understatement. They moved to Portugal more than five years ago, after meeting in 2002 while working in Indonesia.
Mr Street, the son of a retired police sergeant, had travelled to Indonesia to indulge his passion for surfing, funding his trip by teaching English. By chance, he ended up at a school in Jakarta — the same one to which Colette McPartland had also applied for a job.
For her, teaching ran in the blood. Her father, John, had taught for 30 years in the family’s home town of Middlesbrough, where he is a well-respected Labour councillor.
Mr Street is from South Wales, but prior to travelling abroad had also been living in Middlesbrough.
‘I remember we were talking outside the school and I couldn’t place Colette’s accent,’ recalled Mr Street of that first meeting in the Far East. ‘I asked where she was from and was completely taken aback when she said Middlesbrough.’
Within a year, the couple were planning their wedding and they married on September 4, 2004. The plan thereafter was to move to Portugal, where Mr Street could surf and the couple could enjoy the Mediterranean climate.
'A witness says Scarlett was nearly hit by a car'
They settled in Carcavelos, a town close enough to Lisbon to find work teaching English, but which also offers world-class surfing.
They had their daughter Scarlett soon afterwards, and the couple’s relatives say they doted on her.
‘They are a lovely couple,’ said Mr Street’s father, Ray, from his home in South Wales. ‘They are wonderful parents who idolise their daughter.’
He said his son was not ‘a drinker’ and his daughter-in-law does not drink ‘for reasons I’m not prepared to say’. Those reasons are understood to be that Ms McPartland is four months pregnant — news she shared with friends on Facebook on August 27.
Yet little more than a week later, if the Portuguese police are to be believed, this mother-to-be was drinking herself to the point of collapse.
The day in question was the couple’s wedding anniversary when, according to eyewitnesses, they arrived at a cafe called the Manhas do Chocolate in a tree-lined square in the village at about 5pm.
Once there, the Mail has been told, they were served three glasses of white wine each, though in their statement the couple deny drinking at all. The police version of events is that while her parents relaxed in the cafe, Scarlett was allowed to play by herself by a busy road. A passer-by saw this, ‘rescued’ the child, then called police.
Rui Vasconcelos was one of the police officers called to the scene.
He said: ‘Before our arrival, the child was playing alone and a witness said the girl was almost hit by a car. They placed the child in a baby carrier and the girl started to cry, but the parents were in a “big discussion”.

Critical: The Portuguese came under attack following their investigations into the disappearance of Gerry and Kate McCann's daughter
‘I spoke to them. The lady could not get up from the chair. She tried several times, but always fell.
‘The gentleman apologised and said that everything was OK. Then they shouted expletives.’
While the couple’s condition is open to dispute — neither of them was blood-tested or breathalysed — those in the vicinity that evening have insisted the child was at no point abandoned by her parents.
Francisco Fonseca, a waiter at a seafood restaurant 50 metres from the cafe, said: ‘I saw the dad shortly before police arrived and he was with his daughter trying to calm her down.
‘I had heard her crying at the cafe and I believe he came across to where I was working because the crying was upsetting customers there.
‘It was a bit of a strange situation, but the dad didn’t look drunk.
‘He sat on the pavement outside the restaurant and stayed there, trying to calm the little girl down while she remained in the pushchair. He didn’t take her out of the pushchair, but he put his face close to her and was caressing her face and hair as if he was trying to get her to stop crying.
‘He must have sat there with her for about 30 minutes, and it was shortly after he went back to the cafe that the police arrived — probably about 8.15pm.’
Having been removed from her parents by the police, Scarlett was photographed being spoon-fed some soup by a female officer.
This image, with the child’s face obscured, was subsequently released on the police website with a report about what had happened.

New home: Stephen Street and Colette McPartland moved to Carcavelos, 15 minutes from Lisbon (pictured) more than five years ago
She was then taken to a nearby emergency care home, where she has been ever since. The youngster’s future now rests with a child protection unit, of which Esmeralda Ferreira is in charge.
‘We’re working as quickly as possible to decide whether she’s to remain at the home,’ she said last night.
To this end, social workers have conducted interviews with the creche where she is cared for when her parents are working, and with the family doctor and others who know the family.
According to sources close to the case, the feedback on Scarlett’s parents has so far been favourable.
Indeed, they are said to be optimistic that the case will not drag on for the six months that was initially suggested, and that the family could be reunited in a matter of days.
In the meantime, the couple have been paying daily visits to their daughter, all of them supervised and observed. On one occasion they were seen on the way there carrying a giant teddy bear.
‘The trauma of the past few days has been unbearable,’ the couple said. ‘We are praying that it will soon be over, and that normality will return.’
And so, no doubt, is their young daughter.


I'm not really sure what this article is about, or what it is trying to say.



‘This couple abandoned their defenceless child — and the McCanns did the same. The difference is slight. The girl in this story was left in her pushchair: Maddie was left asleep while her parents enjoyed dinner out.’
While it is tempting to interpret these words as tabloid grandstanding, some people argue that the depth of the wounds left by the Madeleine McCann case should not be dismissed lightly.

What is the author trying to say here? That the parallel drawn by the Portugese newspaper is an accurate one?
In which case I imagine a later copy of this will be whooshed?

There is a lot of double speak in this article that I can't really make sense of.
However looking at Tom Rawstorne's previous articles he does love a good conspiracy.


News Article
Messiah of misery: How the leader of the Moonies went from peasant to billionaire by leading cult that brainwashed millions... until the Daily Mail exposed him as a fraud
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 04/09/2012 10:55:39
In 1978, the Daily Mail printed a devastating expose of the Moonies' activities under the headline 'The church that breaks up families'.
Comments (19)
News Article
Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this little girl was taken into care? Portuguese police say her British parents were too drunk to look after her but the explanation could be more sinister
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 15/09/2012 00:24:24
Stephen Street and Colette McPartland (pictured) are alleged to have been drinking near their Lisbon home leaving their child to run wild but they say it was fabricated after paper linked their case to Maddie.
Comments (0)
News Article
Tony Nicklinson gave an elemental howl of pain... and the fight seemed to go out of him: Last days of locked-in syndrome sufferer who fought so hard for the right to die
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 23/08/2012 11:54:40
Relatives of Mr Nicklinson, who died from pneumonia after suffering from 'locked-in syndrome', described his despair at learning he had lost his battle for the right to end his life.
Comments (49)
News Article
How did he get £5million legal aid? Guilty, but Nadir lived in luxury during his trial for theft of £29million
By REBECCA CAMBER,COLIN FERNANDEZ,TOM RAWSTORNE,DANIEL MARTIN All By This Author - 23/08/2012 12:49:20
Asil Nadir, 71 who will be sentenced today for stealing £28.6million from his Polly Peck empire, will be asked to pay back the estimated £5million in legal aid funding he was granted after claiming he was bankrupt.
Comments (110)
News Article
Inside the twisted world of Tom Daley's Twitter troll: He's 17, lives on benefits in a bedsit and his father has 11 children
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 04/08/2012 17:29:41
Reece Masser (pictured), from Boscombe near Bournemouth, tweeted the Olympic diver an offensive message about his late father minutes after he narrowly missed out on a medal.
Comments (176)
Femail Article
Tiny thugs: How teachers are living in fear of violence from pupils as young as five
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 16/08/2012 08:03:05
They play video games all night, live on sweets and never hear the word No. And they’re beating up staff in our primary schools.
Comments (121)
News Article
Ramadan gold rush: It's that time of year when the Arab plutocracy descends on austerity London to party and spend. And their shopping sprees are more blingtastic than ever
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 30/06/2012 01:12:43
Spending by Middle Eastern visitors in London in the run up to Ramadan was worth about £120 million last year, and is expected to be up 10 per cent this year.
Comments (343)
Femail Article
Will Sir Jimmy's 'love-child' fix herself a slice of the millions he left to charity?
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 08/06/2012 22:50:48
This week, it emerged that a 41-year-old woman by the name of Georgina Ray has challenged Sir Jimmy’s will.
Comments (192)
News Article
Face of the forest boy: Could this photograph finally solve the mystery of English-speaking teenager who says he lived wild for five years?
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 15/06/2012 08:18:21
No one knows who Ray is, or where he comes from. He arrived in Berlin last September, and presented himself to the authorities with the words: 'I'm all alone in the world, I don’t know who I am, please help me.'
Comments (2)
News Article
Who DID pour petrol through their letterbox? Little bodies in pyjamas on the pavement. A father of 17 with a very tangled love life. And wild claims on the net: The fire that killed six children
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 19/05/2012 08:52:40
Mr Philpott had witnessed first-hand the fallout of this terrible blaze, caused by an unknown arsonist pouring petrol through the letterbox of their semi-detached house in the early hours of last Friday morning and then igniting it.
Comments (73)
Femail Article
Fergie's killer aide and the man who's her latest obsession: Terrified father-of-two fears for his safety as Jane Andrews could be free next month
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 14/05/2012 12:02:36
Jailed for killing her lover in a jealous rage, royal dresser Jane Andrews is now fixated on a father of two - sending him chilling love letters 'to my husband'.
Comments (140)
Femail Article
Why men over 40 are fashion disasters: TOM RAWSTORNE'S outfits make his wife cringe and his children snigger. Remind you of anyone you know?
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 16/05/2012 22:34:22
Recent faux pas have seen him going out dressed like Cliff Richard in Summer Holiday and a member of a street dance crew.
Comments (61)
News Article
The man who fathered 1,000 children: They're middle-class, living in Britain - and only a few have any idea about the extraordinary story surrounding their birth
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 17/04/2012 08:11:35
The final months of World War II, Bertold Wiesner (pictured) is believed to have sired children as part of a controversial treatment for impotency or infertility, called Artificial Insemination by Donor.
Comments (31)
RightMinds Article
Has this mother of three changed the face of British education?
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 30/03/2012 10:16:42
Furious at her son’s struggle to get into a grammar school, Sarah Shilling launched a petition to build the first new one for 50 years. Yesterday, the revolution began!
Comments (44)
News Article
Timebomb under our primary schools: How uncontrolled immigration has created primaries with 1,000 pupils and forced children to eat lunch in shifts
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 16/03/2012 11:53:29
Due to a baby boom caused in part by a decade of open-door immigration under New Labour the pupil population is rapidly rising.
Comments (65)
News Article
My big fat gypsy bogus wedding fixer: The 'marriage' organiser who kept cropping up at ceremonies... as Mail investigation reveals boom in sham nuptials
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 24/03/2012 01:52:54
Milan Cina, a Czech-born Roma gypsy, made sure photos if the weddings were taken in a bid to make them seem like like authentic affairs of the heart.
Comments (55)
News Article
Special report: The menace of the gangs using drills to plunder your petrol
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 06/01/2012 23:10:03
As drivers are forced to deal with petrol theft - now widespread throughout the country, the Mail's Tom Rawstorne, highlights the growing number of youngsters involved in this callous crime.
Comments (69)
News Article
A very seedy Christmas at St Paul's: An ugly scene of hard drugs, violence and corruption among protesters
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 16/12/2011 01:20:15
Six weeks ago TOM RAWSTONE visited the St Paul's protesters and found they were a naive but idealistic rabble. But when he returned this week he found things had changed.
Comments (97)
News Article
Stocking up for Doomsday: As economists predict meltdown, meet the families ready for the worst
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 17/12/2011 01:49:30
Families like George and Karen Shaw (pictured), from East Sussex, have been preparing for the worst should the economic climate bring the country to a standstill.
Comments (600)
Money Article
The fastest growing fraud in Britain: Owners who harm their pets for the insurance
By TOM RAWSTORNE All By This Author - 30/11/2011 09:56:09
Last year false pet insurance claims cost the industry nearly £2million - a rise of 400 per cent, according to the Association of British Insurers.

The question is why has the Daily Mail given the topic of the McCann's to this guy....

Loopdaloop
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 815
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Justiceforallkids on Sat 15 Sep - 3:41

you could even say this sounds hurtful and unhelpful to the mcanns..............

Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Age : 37
Location : tasmania australia
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  weissnicht on Sat 15 Sep - 6:11

That case has nothing to do with neglecting mccanns. They live in Portugal, were drunk, neglected their child. The end.


weissnicht
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 815
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Chris on Sat 15 Sep - 6:36

I think it is the Mail criticising the bungling sardine eating cops and the Portugese press (the latter due an award for hyperbole at least). The portugese paper in turn criticing the British (press?).

The article reads: ‘The Portuguese police, this time, didn’t “lose” a little English girl, they found one dying of hunger and thirst, in Carcavelos, while her parents, British and middle class, continued to drink merrily until they were legless — so much so that they forgot their two-year-old tied to her pushchair in the sun. The PSP (Portuguese police) rescued her from death.’
The article continues: ‘What would the legendary British “snobs” say if this had happened with a Portuguese couple in London?
‘They would refer to us again as a Third World country — and how the Portuguese authorities, through laziness or incompetence, were incapable of resolving the mystery of Madeleine’s disappearance.
‘The devastated McCann couple would once again be remembered as martyrs to this strange Portuguese attitude towards abandoning one’s children while enjoying oneself. The courage to abandon children appears to be a characteristic English mania.
This couple abandoned their defenceless child — and the McCanns did the same. The difference is slight. The girl in this story was left in her pushchair: Maddie was left asleep while her parents enjoyed dinner out.’


ETA I do like the Mail's implied way of denegrating the police account. The woman is pregnant, ergo she was not drinking. I appreciate that most woman probably do stop (or at the very least moderate) alcohol intake when pregnant but when did it become a irrefutable truism?

Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1607
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Guest on Sat 15 Sep - 8:36

The Mail is a rag for the terminally outraged, not for balanced people.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  fred on Sat 15 Sep - 8:50

The End Is Nigh wrote:The Mail is a rag for the terminally outraged, not for balanced people.

Exactly! It is full of xenophobic nonsense.

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4845
Location : Dining in my back garden
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Not Born Yesterday on Sat 15 Sep - 9:30

It's a bit early in the morning for me so I'm unsure what to make of this article.

In a way it's good that the story of drunken irresponsible parents (allegedly) has been linked with the McCanns.

However, the main aim seems to be in telling us that the useless sardine munchers have got it wrong again and have completely over-reacted to a trivial situation.

Not Born Yesterday
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6697
Age : 103
Location : Over the hills and far away
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  James on Sat 15 Sep - 9:48

I don't know what to believe. It certainly seems rediculous that the child may be several months with the Portuguese authorities before a decision is made as to her future. This is totally unfair to the child and probably very harmful to her psychological development.

A cynical side of me wonders if Team McCann planted this angle with the Daily Mail. They are masters of media manipulation. They cannot be amused by this case being linked to the McCanns with the link being out drinking and less than careful with small children.

How much better to have the link being another British couple, devoted parents, treated badly by totally overreacting sardine munchers.

James
Reg Member
Reg Member

Male
Number of posts : 155
Location : UK
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  pennylane on Sat 15 Sep - 9:49

Mail has 4 comments supporting the child neglecting parents and denigrating the police.... quelle surprise

pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5351
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Guest on Sat 15 Sep - 10:04

All from readers in Tunbridge Wells, I'll warrant!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  James on Sat 15 Sep - 10:07

The End Is Nigh wrote:All from readers in Tunbridge Wells, I'll warrant!

Actually the comments are from Spain, Thailand, Canberra and Wimbledon! Truly international!

James
Reg Member
Reg Member

Male
Number of posts : 155
Location : UK
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  pennylane on Sat 15 Sep - 10:16

James wrote:
The End Is Nigh wrote:All from readers in Tunbridge Wells, I'll warrant!

Actually the comments are from Spain, Thailand, Canberra and Wimbledon! Truly international!

You beat me to it James except I was going to add the word "allegedly"

pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5351
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  fred on Sat 15 Sep - 11:11

I bet they are the only 4 comments that were pro Mccann.

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4845
Location : Dining in my back garden
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Guest on Sat 15 Sep - 11:28

I wonder if the McEmpathisers do so out of guilt because they are/were equally bad parents who thought little of taking proper care of their offspring? The "we've all done it" syndrome?

Of course, and by definition, no responsible parent has done it.

Either that, or these people are the same ones that think upbringing is something that can be contracted out to Teachers, Government ................ anybody but themselves, really.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  James on Sat 15 Sep - 13:08

Still only 4 comments. they must be censoring anything that doesn't blame the sardine munchers.

James
Reg Member
Reg Member

Male
Number of posts : 155
Location : UK
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Loopdaloop on Sat 15 Sep - 14:21


Justiceforallkids wrote:you could even say this sounds hurtful and unhelpful to the mcanns..............

I agree, it does appear 'unhurtful and unhelpful' ...

There are three possible outcomes to the neglect of a child.

1) Nothing, nobody finds out. No consequence repeat
2) Somebody finds out, you take that as a warning you don't do it again
3) Somebody finds out, you get reported to the police/child services.
4) Something bad happens, injury or possible death (hence why neglect is wrong)

I would argue that the majority of the public know the dangers of leaving children on their own.
Doctors, with all their NHS Mandatory training with regard to Child Protection issues will know more than anyone.

They then decide to neglect their children in a country that is foreign to them.
This is a step above in risk than neglecting their children at their own home.
It suggests previous experience of neglect and everything being okay, as they got so cocky they went on a piss up.
Unlike Scarlett's family that the consequence was number 3) somebody finds out, they got reported to the police
The Mcccann's suffered the ultimate reality of neglect - something bad, could and did happen.
Scarlett, similar to Maddie was evidently a bit hyper and liked to wander around.
The Mccann's of their own admission state that Maddie used to get up in the night and had problems sleeping.
Increasing the risk to the child from the neglect.

Now that article had the word sinister All over it,
What is sinister?

Are they arguing that neglect is sinister hence the parallels and the author of the article telling people not to disregard out of hand the view point of the Portugese Newspaper (Which we know very well and likes to post the truth about the whole Mccann affair)

If this is the case it goes against the whole sardine muncher angle as it would suggest that if the police were right on this occasion,
then they were right on the Mccann occasion.

However, the article also has the parents of Scarlett doing a media charm offensive similar to the Mccanns,
yet has people stating how that the mother could not get out of her chair?

Is this article evidence of the tide continuing to turn somewhat.... ?





Loopdaloop
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 815
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Loopdaloop on Sat 15 Sep - 14:51

I just went to look at those four comments,
however there was a glitch on the comments so when I clicked 'worst rated' some other comments came up!


It doesn't really add up that they weren't drunk and the authorities snatched her to somehow prove some point over the Madeleine case! If I was perfectly a perfectly sober parent of a 2 year old and out of nowhere a police officer snuck up on me and tried to take her away I would snatch her up and hold on tight, I wouldn't allow myself to be separated and go straight to the British embassy for help,not let the police take her then stubble along later to try and reclaim her!
- Im a pineapple, Shes a palm tree, United Kingdom, 15/9/2012 1:07
Click to rate Rating 1Report abuse
So exactly HOW did the police get hold of the child, if it was with the parents?
- bob, China, China, 15/9/2012 1:23
Click to rate Rating (0)Report abuse
The Portuguese, like all Latin countries, come down very heavily on any kind of child abuse. When this couple get their daughter back they should make tracks back to the UK as their dream of an idyllic life in the sun has come to an end.
- wjajh, Nottingham, 15/9/2012 1:16
Click to rate Rating (0)Report abuse
I hope this teaches other parents to be vigilant while taking their children out to where they are having fun and maybe enjoying a drink or too............ The fact is that children get taken away and the authorities are rightly concerned that no other child should face the terrible plight of never returning home again because the parents were too concerned with enjoying themselves........... If the parents did start to swear or answer back aggressively then what the hell do they expect.........? And yes women still drink while pregnant and being teachers does not mean they are good parents.......... We have seen far too many parents in the papers leaving their young children alone or in need of care.................. Get over yourselves and grow up and look after that child!!!
- strangerthanfiction, London, 15/9/2012 1:14
Click to rate Rating (0)Report abuse
Having worked as a child protection worker I can guarantee you that we as well as police do not have time to sit down each morning and go through the phonebook and pick a person to persecute. I am sure it is a similar situation in Portugal. Yes the parents may think that they are "devoted to" their child and in their minds they are but plonking a kid in front of the Wiggles with a bowl of fruitloops or leaving her outside on her own is not devotion...
- Mrs Wright, Australia, 15/9/2012 1:17
Click to rate Rating (0)Report abuse
The moral of the story is avoid Portugal. If they want to be a tourist destination they will have to do better than this to attract people. I certainly wouldn't feel safe there.
- Monkeymagic, Yokohama, 15/9/2012 1:22
Click to rate Rating (0)Report abuse
"Further, a number of sources have confirmed that Ms McPartland is pregnant with her second child ¿ casting doubt on suggestions that she had been drinking heavily."------------Well that's a bit like saying a woman can't have been smoking because she is pregnant. No, pregnant women shouldn't drink heavily (or smoke) but some do.
- Julie, Leicester, United Kingdom, 15/9/2012 1:53
Click to rate Rating (0)Report abuse
Your comments:I do not for ONE moment beleive this as so many years have elapsed....If this had happened in the 2 years after Maddies loss i may have agreed ...but....PLUS the statement that Police do not like British with kids is rubbish... having spent time in Portugal I know they very family orintated, and my family have never had a problem
- beth1946, cambridge, United Kingdom, 15/9/2012 1:44
Click to rate Rating (0)Report abuse
It`s very hard to know what to believe, but once I witnessed two people off their faces with a toddler who they had no sense of, no control of and who they then proceeded to put into a car and drive with, quite clearly over the limit. I did not want to be an interfering old biddy, but at the same time, i did not want any harm to come to that little girl, so I called the police and the parents were arrested, and found to be several times over the limit. I have always felt guilty because it was their child and they could have had her taken off them, but if you are both out with your child, then at least one of you should be perfectly sober and in control at all times. If you can`t be, do not have kids. We all need a bit of "me" time, but that`s when you pay for a babysitter.
- Mom, West Mids, 15/9/2012 0:42
Click to rate Rating 1Report abuse
Police playing with peoples lives again - disgusted.
- Les, Thailand, 15/9/2012 3:11
Click to rate Rating 257Report abuse


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2203504/Is-Madeleine-McCann-reason-teacher-couples-girl-taken-care-Portugal.html#ixzz26XvMqQpX


Loopdaloop
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 815
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  fred on Thu 20 Sep - 13:47

Update.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2206007/British-couple-arrested-abandoning-child-drunk-exonerated-Portuguese-social-workers.html

Typical police bashing.

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4845
Location : Dining in my back garden
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Justiceforallkids on Thu 20 Sep - 14:55

some of the comments some people are not buying it!!!


Not sure where to start with this one but how could the child be taken away if the parents were present, sounds strange to me.

- Try to be nice, North east, 20/9/2012 21:20
Click to rate Rating 29

Report abuse

So its all the onlookers that were drunk then!!! From what I read you were just too drunk to give the full name of your daughter and were in no position to take care of yourselves let alone your daughter. Get real folks and enjoy your daughter and the one on the way, but learn the lesson that your children do need looking after for quite a while.

- Fatbaldi, Market Harborough, 20/9/2012 21:19
Click to rate Rating 28

Report abuse

Pardon me, Colette, you say 'i am feeling fragile' - what about the poor trauma and confusion your little girl has suffered? Maybe you will both put your child first now and behave more responsibly. You've learned a hard lesson.

- MissBobblez, UK, 20/9/2012 21:18
Click to rate Rating 27

Report abuse

So were they exactly ....how come they didn't stop the police from taking their daughter without them being aware?

- herindoors, upnorth, 20/9/2012 21:17
Click to rate Rating 25

Report abuse

Watched the interview on Daybreak this morning. Their body language was very ambiguous, and when asked if they were aggressive when they were questioned, they became quite animated. I particularly felt that Mr Street was a tad too sure of himself. Just my opinion, but I have to say I didn't feel any sympathy for them. Hope perhaps the embarrassment will mean they get their acts together for the sake of Scarlett and their unborn baby. I'm sure there are a lot worse parents out there, but they are not as lily white as they are trying to make out.

- Wanda Windybottom, Worldwide Wanderer, 20/9/2012 21:16
Click to rate Rating 41

Report abuse

I would like to know what kind of doctor says it fine to drink two glasses of wine when you are pregnant?!! Doesn't sound right to me...

- DrT, Oxfordshire, 20/9/2012 21:14
Click to rate Rating 26

Report abuse

No one will know the truth. I can't see why the police would have taken the child for absolutely no reason.

- Corinna, London, United Kingdom, 20/9/2012 21:13
Click to rate Rating 21

Report abuse

Sorry, but I don't believe you.

- Pazuzu, London, United Kingdom, 20/9/2012 21:11
Click to rate Rating 34

Report abuse

should of never taken their eyes off their very very young child , iam a parent of 2 beautiful children aged 10 and 6 and would never take my eyes off them weather i am in the uk or abroad simples!!!!!!!!

- Darren CALL ME MAYBE, liverpool, United Kingdom, 20/9/2012 21:10
Click to rate Rating 18

Report abuse

Two glasses of wine and 4 months pregnant...surely that says it all about her character!

- Intrigued12, London, United Kingdom, 20/9/2012 21:10
Click to rate Rating 20

Report abuse

so they are saying that everyone is lying, the police, the eye witnesses, the landlord of the bar?? The "everyone is lying" defence never sounds plausible to me.

- yumstheword, wales, 20/9/2012 21:09
Click to rate Rating 358

Report abuse

Why do people have tattoos on their legs? What's the point?

- Rocktour, London, 20/9/2012 21:07
Click to rate Rating 138

Report abuse

Most pregnant women do not drink at all. Let alone two glasses of wine.

- Joanne, Bristol, United Kingdom, 20/9/2012 21:06
Click to rate Rating 434

Report abuse

Oh goody - she 'only' had two glasses of wine because she was 4 months pregnant! Maybe she needs to educate herself about Foetal Alcohol Syndrome then maybe she would realise that two glasses of wine is not an appropriate amount whilst pregnant!

- Bunny, Halifax, United Kingdom, 20/9/2012 20:57
Click to rate Rating 293

Report abuse

Two glasses of wine is still too much when you are pregnant.

- decodiva, Wilton, United Kingdom, 20/9/2012 20:56
Click to rate Rating 128

Report abuse

It wasn't just the police who made these 'claims' it was many bystanders who were concerned for this little girl's welfare.

- Georgia, London, United Kingdom, 20/9/2012 20:56
Click to rate Rating 50

Report abuse

you've got to be joking drinking strong white wine in the sun while pregnant??? has this idiot not heard of FAS? she really should google it..the fact she said "2 glasses " makes me think it was much more as they were " clearly drunk" they should be monitored by social services all the way

- Indigostar, QLD aus, 20/9/2012 20:49
Click to rate Rating 62

Report abuse

Can't you go nine months without a drink?

- leeza77, BEDFORDSHIRE, 20/9/2012 20:42
Click to rate Rating 99

Report abuse

Really?

- shazadelic, Dublin, Ireland, 20/9/2012 20:37
Click to rate Rating 27

Report abuse

really happy to hear this as it seemed like a beat up from the start...if I was them I would get the hell out of that corrupt country and never look back

- susan kirby, australia, 20/9/2012 20:37
Click to rate Rating 56

Report abuse

magine how drunk your tiny, growing baby was after 2 glasses of wine. I feel the effects of one glass and I'm a grown adult who is used to alcohol. To believe that ingesting drugs (yes, alcohol is a drug) while pregnant is not bad - or is even beneficial - to a fetus, is ignorance and selfishness in the extreme. To add to that you let your other child run around unsupervised to the extent that other people were concerned. Yet as is normal for the British these days your reaction is "not my fault, I'm innocent, someone else did wrong". Sadly it seems this is the future for many of the children who are being brought into this world for feckless, selfish parents. I don't care if you're teachers, by the way. That doesn't make you good peopleI

Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Age : 37
Location : tasmania australia
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Keela on Thu 20 Sep - 15:00

the moral of the story is avoid Portugal. If they want to be a tourist destination they will have to do better than this to attract people. I certainly wouldn't feel safe there.
- Monkeymagic, Yokohama, 15/9/2012 1:22

oh boy!!!

Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Age : 63
Location : Darkened room, hoping for the best.
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Justiceforallkids on Thu 20 Sep - 15:04

Keela wrote:the moral of the story is avoid Portugal. If they want to be a tourist destination they will have to do better than this to attract people. I certainly wouldn't feel safe there.
- Monkeymagic, Yokohama, 15/9/2012 1:22

oh boy!!!

at least no one is copying gerry and saying it was like being in your back garden...or in the bounds of responsible parenting

Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Age : 37
Location : tasmania australia
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  fred on Thu 20 Sep - 15:28

Keela wrote:the moral of the story is avoid Portugal. If they want to be a tourist destination they will have to do better than this to attract people. I certainly wouldn't feel safe there.
- Monkeymagic, Yokohama, 15/9/2012 1:22

oh boy!!!

At least the kid is safe!!

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4845
Location : Dining in my back garden
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Not Born Yesterday on Thu 20 Sep - 17:35

Both a neighbour quoted in the article and someone who has posted a comment claiming that their sister knows the couple state that they speak very little Portuguese.

Off topic rant but that really bugs me! They have lived there for 5 years and haven't bothered to make an effort to learn the language of the country where they have chosen to live?

Totally unacceptable in my view. They sound very self-centred and irresponsible.

Not Born Yesterday
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6697
Age : 103
Location : Over the hills and far away
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Loopdaloop on Thu 20 Sep - 23:27

fred wrote:Update.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2206007/British-couple-arrested-abandoning-child-drunk-exonerated-Portuguese-social-workers.html


Well of course they'd get a hearing from Lorraine Kelly....

I just re-read that initial article again and I'm still not sure about it. Its as incoherent as textusa often is.

Loopdaloop
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 815
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: "Is Maddie's legacy the real reason this child was taken into care" - by Tom Rawstorne of the Daily mail

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:47


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum