Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES

3 posters

Go down

GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES Empty GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES

Post  Badboy Sun 30 Sep - 22:48

I BELIEVE IT WAS IN HONG KONG.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :
GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES Empty Re: GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES

Post  Badboy Sun 30 Sep - 23:13

THANKS FOR THAT ARTICLE.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :
GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES Empty Re: GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES

Post  Panda Sun 30 Sep - 23:26

You really are excellent NBY at finding stuff.GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES 25346 Poor old Japan, they have had to suffer the tsunami, nuclear plant leaks, flooding etc now this!!! I never had the luxury of disposable nappies when my Sons were born , maybe some enterprising Firm will start manufacturing the old square cotton ones that have to be soaked in a bucket of water .UUGH.!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 30 Sep - 23:30

I'm sure that terry nappies are still available. I know they're better for the planet and all that but who these days wants to spend their time washing them? Ugh indeed!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 30 Sep - 23:51

Not Born Yesterday wrote:I'm sure that terry nappies are still available. I know they're better for the planet and all that but who these days wants to spend their time washing them? Ugh indeed!

Remember they had to be soaked in Nappisan , no Tumble dryers in those days !!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 1 Oct - 7:45

Panda wrote:
Not Born Yesterday wrote:I'm sure that terry nappies are still available. I know they're better for the planet and all that but who these days wants to spend their time washing them? Ugh indeed!

With both of mine I used terry nappies with one-way fabric liners and woven paper liners and soaked them in a nappy bucket. With my daughter, I had a twin tub washing machine I had to stand over. Disposables were available, but the kind that were like big sanitary towels that were placed inside waterproof pants. I used those when we went on holiday.
Terry nappies are still available, but the mind set of most people now is that they automatically reach for the big packs of disposables with only a few 'greenies,' using the terry ones.

AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 1 Oct - 7:52

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

With both of mine I used terry nappies with one-way fabric liners and woven paper liners and soaked them in a nappy bucket. With my daughter, I had a twin tub washing machine I had to stand over. Disposables were available, but the kind that were like big sanitary towels that were placed inside waterproof pants. I used those when we went on holiday.
Terry nappies are still available, but the mind set of most people now is that they automatically reach for the big packs of disposables with only a few 'greenies,' using the terry ones.

Yes AnnaEsse, if today's teenagers who become Mothers had to put up with what we had to, there would be less pregnancies.GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 1 Oct - 11:46

Oh the good old days! Mother at the sink with a washing board rubbing her hands raw, then putting the clothes through an ancient mangle before putting them on the line which sometimes broke. No heating other than open fires so most of the house was absolutely perishing. Outside privy (I don't think it could have been called a toilet but thankfully it did flush) with no light unless you took a torch or small oil lamp.

Mind you, I had a life of luxury compared to my mother's in the early part of the last century!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 1 Oct - 11:51

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Oh the good old days! Mother at the sink with a washing board rubbing her hands raw, then putting the clothes through an ancient mangle before putting them on the line which sometimes broke. No heating other than open fires so most of the house was absolutely perishing. Outside privy (I don't think it could have been called a toilet but thankfully it did flush) with no light unless you took a torch or small oil lamp.

Mind you, I had a life of luxury compared to my mother's in the early part of the last century!

Ah yes! That old scrubbing board! Our kitchen had two sinks with the mangle between. Clothes were scrubbed on the board (I remember the ledge where the soap sat!) and put through the mangle into the other sink. They when got two rinses from sink 1 to sink 2 and hung out on the line or up on the kitchen pulley. We had an inside toilet but my granny didn't. She lived in a tenement where the outside lavatory was shared by 4 households. No light in there, of course, and take your own paper with you.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 1 Oct - 11:58

Two sinks? You privileged person you! So was I really as the privy wasn't shared with any other families.

Do you remember that awful shiny non-absorbent toilet paper which - without wishing to put anyone off their dinner - spread the debris if you know what I mean and caused blockages in the sewers.

It seemed so funny to me as a child to hear my mother tell of how she used to cut the News of the World into squares to hang up for use as toilet paper. While that was all it was fit for, the thought of newspaper being used for such a delicate task makes me cringe now!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 1 Oct - 13:07

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Two sinks? You privileged person you! So was I really as the privy wasn't shared with any other families.

Do you remember that awful shiny non-absorbent toilet paper which - without wishing to put anyone off their dinner - spread the debris if you know what I mean and caused blockages in the sewers.

It seemed so funny to me as a child to hear my mother tell of how she used to cut the News of the World into squares to hang up for use as toilet paper. While that was all it was fit for, the thought of newspaper being used for such a delicate task makes me cringe now!

We also had a gas-fired boiler that nappies and bedding and other things that got boiled were washed in. It was supplied in all those council houses at the time.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 1 Oct - 13:10

I don't think today-s generation would survive what our Mothers went through!!! Remember when it was so cold, the clothes on the Washing line froze,? a coal fire, no C/H in those days , food rationing , no electric Hoovers or irons. Yet my Mother could still produce a substantial meal , Sundays she baked Tarts and a Cake , what was that dessert,? a pink colour, bit like blancmange but slippery.

I do remember in the Infants you had Orange Juice or milk and slept in a little bed in the afternnon .......funny all the things you remember now.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 1 Oct - 13:20

Panda wrote:I don't think today-s generation would survive what our Mothers went through!!! Remember when it was so cold, the clothes on the Washing line froze,? a coal fire, no C/H in those days , food rationing , no electric Hoovers or irons. Yet my Mother could still produce a substantial meal , Sundays she baked Tarts and a Cake , what was that dessert,? a pink colour, bit like blancmange but slippery.

I do remember in the Infants you had Orange Juice or milk and slept in a little bed in the afternnon .......funny all the things you remember now.

Our mothers went through? We went through! We had one coal fire to heat the whole house. And yes, I remember getting the washing in when it was stiff with ice and hanging it on the pulley in the kitchen: the water dripped on our heads when we walked under it then! We had an electric iron, but my granny had one that she would sit on the fire of the black cast iron range. She would run it over an old cloth to remove the soot. I recall that we had a vacuum cleaner that blew the dust out of one end as it sucked it in at the other!
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 1 Oct - 14:02

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:I don't think today-s generation would survive what our Mothers went through!!! Remember when it was so cold, the clothes on the Washing line froze,? a coal fire, no C/H in those days , food rationing , no electric Hoovers or irons. Yet my Mother could still produce a substantial meal , Sundays she baked Tarts and a Cake , what was that dessert,? a pink colour, bit like blancmange but slippery.

Our mothers went through? We went through! We had one coal fire to heat the whole house. And yes, I remember getting the washing in when it was stiff with ice and hanging it on the pulley in the kitchen: the water dripped on our heads when we walked under it then! We had an electric iron, but my granny had one that she would sit on the fire of the black cast iron range. She would run it over an old cloth to remove the soot. I recall that we had a vacuum cleaner that blew the dust out of one end as it sucked it in at the other!

You were well off in comparison to us AnnaEsse.GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES 294124 we had rooms in my Aunts House , three in a Bed with my Cousin ,my Fathers Overcoat acting as a Duvet. My Father developed a TB Lung, was in Hospital for 2 years, had half a lung taken away and never worked again. We were given a Council House in another Area, still no C/H but because my Father had T.B. he was allowed 3 extra eggs a week while the Food rationing was on. when you think of the Food that is wasted today ,it's a crying shame .....we never had obesity in children though.GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 1 Oct - 14:07

Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

You were well off in comparison to us AnnaEsse.GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES 294124 we had rooms in my Aunts House , three in a Bed with my Cousin ,my Fathers Overcoat acting as a Duvet. My Father developed a TB Lung, was in Hospital for 2 years, had half a lung taken away and never worked again. We were given a Council House in another Area, still no C/H but because my Father had T.B. he was allowed 3 extra eggs a week while the Food rationing was on. when you think of the Food that is wasted today ,it's a crying shame .....we never had obesity in children though.GLOBAL NAPPY SHORTAGE EXPECTED AFTER JAPANESE FACTORY EXPLOSES 25346

I've got a Year 9 Food Tech recipe booklet somewhere that has a section on WWII recipes. I reckon they were healthy because they were low in fat and sugar and made the most of small amounts of meat and cheese.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down