Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt

2 posters

Go down

Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Empty Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt

Post  Panda Sat 17 Nov - 9:21

Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt

Vehicles are upturned, rooftops blown off and windows shattered in the popular tourist destination on a day of freak weather.

6:33am UK, Saturday 17 November 2012

Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Emergency-services-tend-to-1-522x293
Video: Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve
Enlarge Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Tornado-1-402x293
Residents flee the area as it approaches

• A tornado has hit Portugal's popular holiday hotspot the Algarve, tossing and flipping vehicles - some with people inside - and causing flooding in areas.

Hundreds of people have been left homeless, trees uprooted, balconies, roof tiles and framework ripped off, and windows shattered as the violent winds struck the region.

Eight people were injured and taken to hospital for treatment. Firefighters said most of those injured had to be pulled out of overturned vehicles.
    Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Overturned-car-1-522x293 An overturned car
    Television footage showed the tornado approaching the shore from the Atlantic near the town of Lagos.

The Algarve is a popular tourism destination, although November is low season.

Tornadoes are not common in Europe, but do occur occasionally in the northwest and south of the continent.

Last edited by Panda on Sat 17 Nov - 10:37; edited 1 time in total
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Empty Re: Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt

Post  fuzeta Sat 17 Nov - 10:12

How absolutely dreadful. I remember being there last year towards the end of October and a few hours after we caught our plane a tornado ripped the roof off Faro airport. Trees were uprooted and planes were blown across the tarmac.

Its strange that it has happened again around about the same time!
fuzeta
fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4231
Warning :
Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt Empty Re: Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt

Post  Panda Sat 17 Nov - 10:45

fuzeta wrote:How absolutely dreadful. I remember being there last year towards the end of October and a few hours after we caught our plane a tornado ripped the roof off Faro airport. Trees were uprooted and planes were blown across the tarmac.

Its strange that it has happened again around about the same time!

fuzeta, I just noticed the gobbledegook that often appears on my posts which I usually check and delete before posting.!!

You were lucky. I didn't think Portugal suffered from extreme weather, but it seems the whole World is affected by extraordinary conditions. Hurricane Sandy the worst , flooding, drought, forest fires, tornadoes. you name it.Britain has been very lucky.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fuzeta Sat 17 Nov - 20:48

Yes we were lucky Panda although amazingly there were only minor injuries. Of course passengers had to be bussed to hotels for the night. Those lucky enough to be with a good airline anyway!! I don't think the likes of Ryanair came out of it well!!

Yes extreme weather seems to be getting much worse right across the globe. We are lucky but for how long, we seem to be getting very strange and severe weather conditions ourselves
fuzeta
fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4231
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 17 Nov - 21:09

fuzeta wrote:Yes we were lucky Panda although amazingly there were only minor injuries. Of course passengers had to be bussed to hotels for the night. Those lucky enough to be with a good airline anyway!! I don't think the likes of Ryanair came out of it well!!

Yes extreme weather seems to be getting much worse right across the globe. We are lucky but for how long, we seem to be getting very strange and severe weather conditions ourselves

I think Man has messed around with nature too much fuzeta, drilling for Oil, Nuclear testing, deforestation of the Amazon rain forest etc Britain luckily has not been affected....so far, I read we are in for a harsh winter.Tornado Hits Portugal's Algarve: Eight Hurt 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down