Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

x Factor Judge Louis Walsh settles out of Court

Go down

x Factor Judge Louis Walsh settles out of Court Empty x Factor Judge Louis Walsh settles out of Court

Post  Panda Wed 28 Nov - 18:38

Louis Walsh Wins £403,500 Over Sun Sex Slur

X Factor judge Louis Walsh has won a 500,000 euro (£403,500) payout for a sex slur he says had a "terrible effect" on him.

12:47pm UK, Wednesday 28 November 2012

x Factor Judge Louis Walsh settles out of Court 8784460-1-1-522x293
Video: Louis Walsh says he is totally vindicated after the payout
Enlarge

Louis Walsh has won a 500,000 euro (£403,500) settlement from The Sun after the newspaper carried false sex assault allegations.

The X Factor judge sued the paper after it published a story that was based on a false allegation that he sexually assaulted a man in a Dublin nightspot after a Westlife concert.

The newspaper admitted the claim made by unemployed dance teacher Leonard Watters was false and apologised to Walsh accepting that the "alleged assault did not occur in the first place".

Speaking outside court following the out-of-court settlement, Walsh said he would not have wished what happened to him on his worst enemy.

He said: "I'm very relieved. This has had a terrible effect on me guys. It was all lies.

"And I'm very satisfied with this total vindication for me, but I remain very angry at the treatment I received at the hands of The Sun."

Eoin McCullough, senior counsel for News Group Newspapers, read an apology to Walsh at the High Court in Dublin.

It said: "The Sun unreservedly apologies to Louis Walsh for any distress caused to him as a result of our article."
 x Factor Judge Louis Walsh settles out of Court 16127618-522x293 Louis Walsh lines up with his fellow X Factor judges
The Sun published an article in its editions on June 23, 2011, with the headline "Louis Probed Over 'Sex Attack' on Man in Loo" in which it was wrongly claimed Walsh has groped Watters at the celebrity nightclub Krystle following a Westlife concert in April 2011.

When the official complaint was made, The Sun and the Irish Sun printed the story before Walsh was questioned under caution. He denied the accusations against him.

Watters was subsequently jailed for six months for making the false allegations.

The newspaper accepted that the accusation was false but initially denied defamation, saying it had acted fairly as the story was based on police inquiries into the allegation.

Walsh's lawyer, Paul Tweed, said that a great deal of damage had been done to his client because of the online spread of the story and added that it was something he hoped Lord Leveson would address in his report on media standards.

The case was settled before the President of the High Court in Ireland, Mr Justice Nicholas Kearns.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
 x Factor Judge Louis Walsh settles out of Court Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100 x Factor Judge Louis Walsh settles out of Court Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down