Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder

Go down

Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Empty Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder

Post  Panda Sun 30 Dec - 12:24

Olympic Hero Mo Held In US Terror Blunder

Double gold medal winner Mo Farah says he is frequently questioned by US customs officers because of his Somali origin.

8:52am UK, Sunday 30 December 2012
Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-17-2-522x293
Farah moved to England from Somalia when he was eight

• Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-11-1-221x295

Farah stands next to a sculpture, which depicts his 'Mobot' pose, ahead of the Aviva Birmingham Grand Prix.

1 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-17-1-402x293

Mo Farah clutches his two gold medals from the London 2012 Olympics.

2 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-23-1-402x293

The media takes pictures of the double gold winner embracing his wife, Talia, after winning the men's 10,000m final.

3 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-4-1-221x295

Farah gives the thumbs up when his step-daughter, Rihanna, wears his Olympic gold medal, which he won in the men's 5,000m race.

4 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-6-1-402x293

Mo stands with his wife and stepdaughter at the Olympic Park. The couple had twin girls a few days later, and the champion planned to engrave their names on to his two medals.

5 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-7-1-402x293

Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaica's Usain Bolt celebrate with Farah's step-daughter after winning the men's 5,000m race and the 4x100m relay respectively.

6 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-14-1-402x293

Farah does his trademark 'Mobot' as he poses for pictures with (from left to right) Former Brazilian footballer Pele, Vice-President of Brazil Michel Temer, and British Prime Minister David Cameron outside 10 Downing Street in London, on August 12, 2012, as they attend a 'Hunger Summit'.

7 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-15-1-402x293

The athlete is a guest at the 'Hunger Summit', held at 10 Downing Street, which discussed plans to limit child malnutrition.

8 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-5-1-221x295

Farah does his 'Mobot' pose on the Olympic podium.

9 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-18-1-402x293

The world's fastest long distance runner crosses the finish line first at the men's 5,000m final on Day 15 of the Olympics.

10 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-3-1-402x293

Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaica's Usain Bolt swap their iconic 'lightening' and 'Mobot' poses, as they celebrate on the podium.

11 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-20-1-221x295

An elevated Farah is ecstatic after he wins the men's 5,000m race at the London 2012 Olympics.

12 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-21-1-402x293

Excited fans greet the runner at the Games.

13 of 14
  • Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Mo-22-1-402x293

Mo runs ahead of his competitors to take Gold in the men's 5,000m final.

• Double Olympic champion Mo Farah has said he has been questioned by US border officials on suspicion of being a terrorist.

The team GB star even got out his two gold medals to show the customs officers who he was, but to no avail.

Farah, who was born in Somalia and moved to Britain with his father when he was eight, was detained as he was heading to Portland, Oregon, to spend Christmas with his family.

He moved to America last year to work with his coach, marathon champion Alberto Salazar, at the Nike headquarters.

Despite his international fame, the long distance runner revealed he often gets stopped at customs because of his Somali origin.

Farah, aged 29, told The Sun: "I couldn't believe it. Because of my Somali origin I get detained every time I come through US Customs.

"This time I even got my medals out to show who I am, but they wouldn't have it."

The 10,000m and 5,000m Olympic champion also told the newspaper how he had trouble applying for a residency permit to live in Portland.

"We were in Portland on a tourist visa so had to leave and re-enter the country as a resident.

"So we flew to Toronto to stay for a few days, then come back in.

"But when we were there we got a letter telling us we're under investigation as a terrorist threat and we would have to stay away for 90 days.

"We had only packed four days' worth of clothes. We didn't know what to do."

Luckily, Farah's coach had a friend in the FBI, who happened to be a fan of long distance running and knew of Mo, who sorted it out for him.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Olympic Hero Mo Held in US Terror Blunder Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum