Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

Post  AnnaEsse on Sun 28 Apr - 19:38

Multiple people were stabbed at a church in northwest Albuquerque on Sunday.

Albuquerque police spokesperson Tasia Martinez said officers are investigating the stabbing at St. Jude Thaddeus Parish, 5712 Paradise Blvd NW.

It occurred shortly after noon.

We have a crew on the way to the scene. Stay with KOB.com for more on this developing story.


http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3014599.shtml?cat=504&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=kob4

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18459
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

Post  malena stool on Mon 29 Apr - 10:36

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHURCH_STABBING?SITE=OHTOL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Apr 29, 4:20 AM EDT

Police: Man stabbed 4 people at Albuquerque Catholic church as Mass was ending; motive unknown

By RUSSELL CONTRERAS
Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- A man jumped over several pews at an Albuquerque Catholic church and stabbed several members in the choir area just as Mass was ending Sunday, Albuquerque police said.

According to authorities, Lawrence Capener, 24, walked up to the choir area at St. Jude Thaddeus Catholic Church and stabbed church-goers just as the choir began singing its final hymn. The man continued his attack until others raced to subdue him, police said.

Four church-goers were injured in the attack but their wounds weren't life-threatening, Albuquerque police spokesman Robert Gibbs aid. Among those stabbed were the church choir director Adam Alvarez, flutist Gerald Madrid and two other parishioners before he was tackled by several other churchgoers, Gibbs said.

All four were being treated at hospitals and listed in stable condition, police said late Sunday.

Three church members also were evaluated by Albuquerque Fire Department on scene and didn't go to the hospital, investigators said.

It was not immediately known what sparked the bizarre attack at the church on the city's Westside. Investigators don't yet know whether Capener had ties to the victims or whether he regularly attended the church, Gibbs said.

Several church members, including an off-duty firefighter and others at the church, held Capener until police arrived.

Madrid told KOB-TV that he tried to stop Capener by placing him in a bear hug but was stabbed in the neck and back.

Police described the stabbing scene as chaotic as parishioners screamed as the attack unfolded.

The choir's pianist, Brenda Baca King, told KRQE-TV that the attacker was looking at the lead soloist. "I just remember seeing him hurdle over the pews, hurdle over people and run (toward) us and I thought, `Oh my God, this is not good,'" Baca King said.

Capener was interviewed by police and was expected to face felony charges, Gibbs said.

It's not yet known whether Capener has an attorney.

Archbishop of Santa Fe Michael Sheehan released a statement Sunday afternoon saying he was saddened by the attack.

"This is the first time in my 30 years serving as archbishop in the Archdiocese of Santa Fe and as Bishop of Lubbock, that anything like this has occurred," Sheehan said. "I pray for all who have been harmed, their families, the parishioners and that nothing like this will ever happen again," Sheehan said.

The church didn't immediately return calls seeking comment on Sunday afternoon.



malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13368
Location : Spare room above the kitchen
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

Post  AnnaEsse on Mon 29 Apr - 10:59

malena stool wrote:http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHURCH_STABBING?SITE=OHTOL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Apr 29, 4:20 AM EDT

Police: Man stabbed 4 people at Albuquerque Catholic church as Mass was ending; motive unknown

By RUSSELL CONTRERAS
Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- A man jumped over several pews at an Albuquerque Catholic church and stabbed several members in the choir area just as Mass was ending Sunday, Albuquerque police said.

According to authorities, Lawrence Capener, 24, walked up to the choir area at St. Jude Thaddeus Catholic Church and stabbed church-goers just as the choir began singing its final hymn. The man continued his attack until others raced to subdue him, police said.

Four church-goers were injured in the attack but their wounds weren't life-threatening, Albuquerque police spokesman Robert Gibbs aid. Among those stabbed were the church choir director Adam Alvarez, flutist Gerald Madrid and two other parishioners before he was tackled by several other churchgoers, Gibbs said.

All four were being treated at hospitals and listed in stable condition, police said late Sunday.

Three church members also were evaluated by Albuquerque Fire Department on scene and didn't go to the hospital, investigators said.

It was not immediately known what sparked the bizarre attack at the church on the city's Westside. Investigators don't yet know whether Capener had ties to the victims or whether he regularly attended the church, Gibbs said.

Several church members, including an off-duty firefighter and others at the church, held Capener until police arrived.

Madrid told KOB-TV that he tried to stop Capener by placing him in a bear hug but was stabbed in the neck and back.

Police described the stabbing scene as chaotic as parishioners screamed as the attack unfolded.

The choir's pianist, Brenda Baca King, told KRQE-TV that the attacker was looking at the lead soloist. "I just remember seeing him hurdle over the pews, hurdle over people and run (toward) us and I thought, `Oh my God, this is not good,'" Baca King said.

Capener was interviewed by police and was expected to face felony charges, Gibbs said.

It's not yet known whether Capener has an attorney.

Archbishop of Santa Fe Michael Sheehan released a statement Sunday afternoon saying he was saddened by the attack.

"This is the first time in my 30 years serving as archbishop in the Archdiocese of Santa Fe and as Bishop of Lubbock, that anything like this has occurred," Sheehan said. "I pray for all who have been harmed, their families, the parishioners and that nothing like this will ever happen again," Sheehan said.

The church didn't immediately return calls seeking comment on Sunday afternoon.



Thanks malena. This doesn't seem to have made it to Sky News or other UK news web sites.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18459
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

Post  malena stool on Mon 29 Apr - 20:04

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHURCH_STABBING?SITE=OHTOL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Hi Anna, latest from the US although still no reports in the UK... why?
Apr 29, 12:01 PM EDT

Man accused of stabbing choir at Albuquerque church is formally charged; 4 sent to hospital

By RUSSELL CONTRERAS
Associated Press


ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- Just as the St. Jude Thaddeus Catholic Church choir began its final hymn, a man vaulted over pews and lashed out at the singers, sending several churchgoers to the hospital with stab wounds, authorities said.

Worshippers screamed as the shocking and chaotic scene unfolded Sunday with the attacker continuing the onslaught until he was tackled and held by church members for officers, who raced to the scene, police said.

Four parishioners were injured, including church choir director Adam Alvarez and flutist Gerald Madrid, police spokesman Robert Gibbs said. All four were treated at hospitals and listed in stable condition.

Three other church members also were evaluated by Albuquerque Fire Department on scene and didn't go to the hospital, investigators said.

Police identified the suspect as Lawrence Capener, 24. He was charged late Sunday on three counts with aggravated battery and ordered held on $75,000 bail.

Court records do not list an attorney for Capener.

It was not immediately known what sparked the bizarre attack at the 11 a.m. Sunday Mass on the city's west side.

St. Jude Thaddeus' pastor, the Rev. John Daniel, said Capener's mother was "very active" in the parish and serves as a Eucharistic minister there.

"He was here occasionally but not very often," Daniel said.

Daniel said that Capener had just graduated from a community college and appeared to be doing well after getting a job.

An off-duty firefighter and others at the church held Capener down until police arrived.

Madrid told KOB-TV that he tried to stop Capener by wrapping his arms around him but was stabbed in the neck and back.

"I bear-hugged him. We were chest on chest. I was wrapping about to take him down to ground, but I didn't have his arms. I had just my arms around his chest, so his arms were free. So that's when he started stabbing me," he said.

Madrid said he thought the suspect was punching him. It wasn't until other parishioners rushed the man that Madrid realized he had been stabbed five times.

The choir's pianist, Brenda Baca King, told KRQE-TV that the attacker was looking at the lead soloist. "I just remember seeing him hurdle over the pews, hurdle over people and run (toward) us and I thought, `Oh my God, this is not good,'" Baca King said.

Daniel said he didn't see the attack because he had turned his back away from the congregation in order to return the sacrament in the tabernacle.

Archbishop of Santa Fe Michael Sheehan released a statement Sunday afternoon saying he was saddened by the attack.

"This is the first time in my 30 years serving as archbishop in the Archdiocese of Santa Fe and as bishop of Lubbock, that anything like this has occurred," Sheehan said. "I pray for all who have been harmed, their families, the parishioners and that nothing like this will ever happen again," Sheehan said.

Daniel said Mass schedule has resumed at the church. A 6 p.m. Monday Mass is scheduled at the 3,000 member church, he said.

malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13368
Location : Spare room above the kitchen
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

Post  AnnaEsse on Mon 29 Apr - 20:49

Thanks malena. Seems like a serious incident and I'm surprised it hasn't hit the UK media. If that number of people had been shot in a church, I'll bet it would have been "breaking news"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18459
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

Post  malena stool on Mon 29 Apr - 21:21

Latest on the stabbings

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/04/29/news/4-stabbed-during-church-services.html

Updated: Suspect was targeting choir leader
By Journal Staff on Mon, Apr 29, 2013

Lawrence Capener, 24. (MDC)
Update: 1:38 p.m.

 photo capener-350x240_zps450627e4.jpg

Suspect Lawrence Capener, in an interview with police, apologized for several of the stabbings and said his intended target was the choir leader, Adam Alvarez, according to a criminal complaint filed in court today.

Capener told police he believed Alvarez was a Mason and that he was “fed up with the Masons, and he was going to do something about the `one’ that was in the choir,” the complaint said.

He went on to say that the Masons are “a group of individuals involved in a conspiracy that is more far-reaching than I could or would believe,” according to a criminal complaint filed in court....

malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13368
Location : Spare room above the kitchen
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

Post  AnnaEsse on Mon 29 Apr - 21:30

malena stool wrote:Latest on the stabbings

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/04/29/news/4-stabbed-during-church-services.html

Updated: Suspect was targeting choir leader
By Journal Staff on Mon, Apr 29, 2013

Lawrence Capener, 24. (MDC)
Update: 1:38 p.m.

 photo capener-350x240_zps450627e4.jpg

Suspect Lawrence Capener, in an interview with police, apologized for several of the stabbings and said his intended target was the choir leader, Adam Alvarez, according to a criminal complaint filed in court today.

Capener told police he believed Alvarez was a Mason and that he was “fed up with the Masons, and he was going to do something about the `one’ that was in the choir,” the complaint said.

He went on to say that the Masons are “a group of individuals involved in a conspiracy that is more far-reaching than I could or would believe,” according to a criminal complaint filed in court....

Bloomin' eck! He's some nutter!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18459
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

Post  malena stool on Mon 29 Apr - 21:40

AnnaEsse wrote:
malena stool wrote:Latest on the stabbings

http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/04/29/news/4-stabbed-during-church-services.html

Updated: Suspect was targeting choir leader
By Journal Staff on Mon, Apr 29, 2013

Lawrence Capener, 24. (MDC)
Update: 1:38 p.m.

 photo capener-350x240_zps450627e4.jpg

Suspect Lawrence Capener, in an interview with police, apologized for several of the stabbings and said his intended target was the choir leader, Adam Alvarez, according to a criminal complaint filed in court today.

Capener told police he believed Alvarez was a Mason and that he was “fed up with the Masons, and he was going to do something about the `one’ that was in the choir,” the complaint said.

He went on to say that the Masons are “a group of individuals involved in a conspiracy that is more far-reaching than I could or would believe,” according to a criminal complaint filed in court....

Bloomin' eck! He's some nutter!
He does seems to be struggling with reality, Anna. He looks as if he might be cognitively challenged and definitely carries a bit of a downer against the Mason's.

malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13368
Location : Spare room above the kitchen
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Multiple people stabbed at Albuquerque church

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:24


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum