Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trautmann dies at 89

3 posters

Go down

Trautmann dies at 89 Empty Trautmann dies at 89

Post  malena stool Fri 19 Jul - 19:50

Trautmann dies at 89

19th July 2013, 05:48pm

http://sportinglife.aol.co.uk/football/news/article/22882/8831388/trautmann-dies-at-89?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl17%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D195616

Trautmann dies at 89 Bert-Trautmann-1956-FA-Cup-final_2975230
Trautmann: Helped City win the FA Cup despite breaking his neck

Bert Trautmann, the German prisoner of war who went on to earn fame for playing for Manchester City in the FA Cup final despite a broken neck, has died at the age of 89.

Trautmann, who was awarded an honorary OBE for his work in promoting Anglo-German post-war relations, played more than 500 times for City between 1949 and 1964.
His feat in the 1956 FA Cup final became one of the legends of the tournament when he played the final 17 minutes of that game with a broken neck to ensure victory over Birmingham City - an injury so serious he was then out of action for several months.
City are planning a tribute to their former keeper, such as a minute's applause and armbands at their first home game of the season, and will also consider a more lasting recognition of his contribution such as a statue or facility being named after him.
The German FA (DFB) said he passed away at his home near Valencia in Spain on Friday morning.
DFB president Wolfgang Niersbach said: "Bert Trautmann was an amazing sportsman and a true gentleman.
"He went to England as a soldier, and thus a war enemy, and he became a celebrated hero there. He was a legend."
After his playing days, Trautmann moved into management with Stockport before returning to his native Germany in 1967 to coach Preussen Munster.
In an interview two years ago, he admitted that being known primarily for that FA Cup final injury sometimes rankled - for him, becoming the first German player to play in an FA Cup final at Wembley a year earlier had rated much higher.
"That was something absolutely magnificent," he said.
"We lost 3-1 to Newcastle United on the day and yes, you feel a little sorry for yourself that you lose such a huge game but it was an amazing day and I just looked around the stadium and thought 'you lucky man!'
"Then, of course, we returned a year later and won, but of course many people remember the game because of the injury I sustained during the match.
"I played over 500 league games for City but that moment is still the one people refer to so it can be a little frustrating at times because no matter how well I played during that time, people will still say 'ah, you're the fellow who broke his neck playing at Wembley'.
"I'll admit it's not something I particularly like but it's something I've had to live with."
As a teenager in Germany, Trautmann had been enlisted in the Hitler Youth, became a paratrooper and was captured on the Russian front. He managed to escape and was re-captured by Allied troops and sent to a PoW camp near Wigan where he first started playing in goal.
After being released and marrying a local girl, he played for non-league St Helen's Town, and impressed in a friendly against City who took him on despite knowing he would receive a hostile reception from opposition fans.
City's former club secretary Bernard Halford, a long-standing friend of Trautmann's, led the club's tributes.
Halford said: "Bert took over from Frank Swift in 1949 - the City and England goalkeeper and an absolute legend in the game. There was a lot of animosity towards Bert after the war, because of his German roots.
"But Bert being the character he was and the player he was completely won them over, and the fans and people throughout football absolutely worshipped Bert Trautmann. He is a true icon of the game.
"He was the best goalkeeper I ever saw. Who could play on in a cup final with a broken neck - Bert Trautmann could. He didn't play for months afterwards but he did recover, which showed his fighting spirit. He came and played for another eight years."
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :
Trautmann dies at 89 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Trautmann dies at 89 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Trautmann dies at 89 Empty Re: Trautmann dies at 89

Post  Lioned Fri 19 Jul - 20:07

Great man.

RIP
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :
Trautmann dies at 89 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Trautmann dies at 89 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Fri 19 Jul - 20:35

He was a real man Lioned, the ponces who roll around in 'agony' trying to get each other sent off nowadays aren't fit to dubbin his boots. RIP.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Fri 19 Jul - 23:02

My dad will be so sad to hear this.
He's a big City fan and a big fan of Bert's.

RIP Bert xx
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 20 Jul - 0:26

Bert's signing so soon after the war was very controversial, and 20,000 Mancunians signed a petition objecting. The controversy raged until a Rabbi from Cheetham Hill wrote to the Manchester Evening News arguing that he should be given a chance! One of my friends remembers as a wee boy, winning a fancy dress competition where Bert gave out the prizes. By all accounts he was a true sportsman and gentleman. RIP Bert xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down