Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

US Government in part shutdown

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Tue 1 Oct - 7:19

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24343698#


How can grown up PARLIAMENTARIANS cause such distress to ordinary hard working people , Republicans as usual, over a Health Care Bill.????????

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Wed 2 Oct - 9:35

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/us-politics/10348366/US-government-shutdown-this-is-such-a-joke-its-like-a-playground-argument.html

There is growing anger against the Government , Congress in particular for these schoolboy antics. With no pay, how are people supposed to pay their Rent and Bills?

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  AnnaEsse on Wed 2 Oct - 11:22

Panda wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24343698#


How can grown up PARLIAMENTARIANS cause such distress to ordinary hard working people , Republicans as usual, over a Health Care Bill.????????
That health care bill is very unpopular. It's not socialised medicine. The bill was written by insurance companies for Obama and in the last couple of days, major insurance companies have seen stocks rocket on Wall Street. It's reckoned that the "Affordable Health Care Act" provisions will cost the average American family of four and extra $7,000 a year.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18464
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Wed 2 Oct - 11:30

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24343698#


How can grown up PARLIAMENTARIANS cause such distress to ordinary hard working people , Republicans as usual, over a Health Care Bill.????????
That health care bill is very unpopular. It's not socialised medicine. The bill was written by insurance companies for Obama and in the last couple of days, major insurance companies have seen stocks rocket on Wall Street. It's reckoned that the "Affordable Health Care Act" provisions will cost the average American family of four and extra $7,000 a year.
I don't understand AnnaEsse, it was designed to help the poor receive free treatment. That was the main platform Obama electioneered on. Isn't that why the Republicans vetoed it, because it would cost the Government more money?

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  AnnaEsse on Wed 2 Oct - 11:33

Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24343698#


How can grown up PARLIAMENTARIANS cause such distress to ordinary hard working people , Republicans as usual, over a Health Care Bill.????????
That health care bill is very unpopular. It's not socialised medicine. The bill was written by insurance companies for Obama and in the last couple of days, major insurance companies have seen stocks rocket on Wall Street. It's reckoned that the "Affordable Health Care Act" provisions will cost the average American family of four and extra $7,000 a year.
I don't understand AnnaEsse, it was designed to help the poor receive free treatment. That was the main platform Obama electioneered on.
It may have been, Panda, but it's got death panels written in so that ill people don't use up resources and it's being run by insurance companies.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18464
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Wed 2 Oct - 11:58

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24343698#


How can grown up PARLIAMENTARIANS cause such distress to ordinary hard working people , Republicans as usual, over a Health Care Bill.????????
That health care bill is very unpopular. It's not socialised medicine. The bill was written by insurance companies for Obama and in the last couple of days, major insurance companies have seen stocks rocket on Wall Street. It's reckoned that the "Affordable Health Care Act" provisions will cost the average American family of four and extra $7,000 a year.
I don't understand AnnaEsse, it was designed to help the poor receive free treatment. That was the main platform Obama electioneered on.
It may have been, Panda, but it's got death panels written in so that ill people don't use up resources and it's being run by insurance companies.
My American friends both pay Health insurance and they are retired , luckily they are not short of money and the Insurance covers everything. It is very hard on those on poor incomes though and quite shameful that Americans sell their blood. I think our Health Service is marvellous, although creaking a bit now but every Country has an unequal share of wealth, the greatest in America. What about the very rich paying a bit more Tax??

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Wed 2 Oct - 16:30


This is the latest on the crisis :- First shutdown in 17 years , Chief of Staff says seriously affecting the armed forces, Obama is at this moment meeting major Bank Chairmen , stock market down, many many thousands "furloughed " general public says Politicians are acting very childishly , neither side willing to compromise. Apparently 17th October is the deadline because the budget has to be passed , if the budget is not passed it means
that America could go into default ......a very serious situation. It appears the Democrats are getting more sympathy than the Republicans who have consistently vetoed any attempt to pass the Obamabill which Obama says has been factored in the budget. At this moment there is no sign of a meeting but it is the workers who have been forced to stop work without pay, Social Security one of the Government Departments affected. Even the Parks are closed.!!!

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  AnnaEsse on Wed 2 Oct - 23:37

Obamacare Is Another Private Sector Rip-Off Of Americans

Paul Craig Roberts
Infowars.com
October 2, 2013
The government of the “world’s only superpower,” the “exceptional,” the “indispensable” country, claims to know what is best for Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, Pakistan, Somalia, Mali, Russia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador, Brazil, China, indeed for the entire world. However, the “indispensable” country cannot even govern itself, much less the world over which the “superpower” desires hegemony. The government of the “world’s only superpower” has shut itself down.

The government has shut itself down, because it cannot deal with the budget deficit and mounting public debt caused by twelve years of wars, by financial deregulation that allows “banks too big to fail” to loot the taxpayers, and by the loss of jobs, GDP, and tax base that jobs offshoring forced by Wall Street caused.

The Republicans are using the fight over the limit on new public debt to block Obamacare. The Republicans are right to oppose Obamacare, but they are opposing Obamacare largely for ideological reasons when there are very good sound reasons to oppose Obamacare.

Last February 3, I posted on this website a column, “Obamacare: A Deception,” written by an expert on the subject. http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2013/02/03/obamacare-a-primer/

When Republicans for ideological reasons blocked a single-payer health system like the rest of the developed world has and, indeed, even some developing countries have, the Obama regime, needing a victory, went to the insurance companies and told them to come up with a health care plan that the insurance lobby could get passed by Congress. Obamacare was written by the private insurance industry with the goal of raising its profits with 50 million mandated new customers.

Obamacare works for the insurance companies, but not for the uninsured. The cost of using Obamacare is prohibitive for those who most need the health coverage. The cost of the premiums net of the government subsidy is large. It amounts to a substantial pay cut for people struggling to pay their bills. In addition to the premium cost, it is prohibitive for hard pressed Americans to use the policies because of the deductibles and co-pays. For the very poor, who are thrown into Medicaid systems, any assets they might have, such as a home, are subject to confiscation to cover their Medicaid bills. The only people other than the insurance companies who benefit from Obamacare are the down and out who are devoid of all assets.

http://www.infowars.com/obamacare-is-another-private-sector-rip-off-of-americans/

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18464
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Thu 3 Oct - 1:22



Whatever the reasons, for a Government to put 800,000 workers temporarily out of work without pay is shameful and shows once again what little care those elected have shown for the population, egos are working here not reason. A Republican gave a short interview to Kate Burley of sky earlier today and she sure showed little sympathy for what was going on. He was trying to justify the reason the Republicans vetoes Obamacare and she said Britain was a small Country by comparison to the US which is very wealthy yet Britain manages to offer free Medical Care so why can't the US do the same...he had no answer.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  AnnaEsse on Thu 3 Oct - 9:09

Panda wrote:

Whatever the reasons, for a Government to put 800,000 workers temporarily out of work without pay is shameful and shows once again what little care those elected have shown  for the population, egos are working here not reason. A Republican gave a short interview to Kate Burley of sky earlier today and she sure showed little sympathy for what was going on. He was trying to justify the reason the Republicans vetoes Obamacare and she said Britain was a small Country by comparison to the US which is  very wealthy yet Britain manages to offer free Medical Care so why can't the US do the same...he had no answer.
Panda, it's important to stress that Britain doesn't offer free medical care. We pay for it with our National Insurance. This makes it very different from what Obama has produced with his healthcare act. In Britain, we don't take out insurance with private companies, which is what Obama plans for Americans. The Affordable Healthcare Act was produced by insurance companies and will benefit those companies.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18464
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Thu 3 Oct - 9:33

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

Whatever the reasons, for a Government to put 800,000 workers temporarily out of work without pay is shameful and shows once again what little care those elected have shown  for the population, egos are working here not reason. A Republican gave a short interview to Kate Burley of sky earlier today and she sure showed little sympathy for what was going on. He was trying to justify the reason the Republicans vetoes Obamacare and she said Britain was a small Country by comparison to the US which is  very wealthy yet Britain manages to offer free Medical Care so why can't the US do the same...he had no answer.
Panda, it's important to stress that Britain doesn't offer free medical care. We pay for it with our National Insurance. This makes it very different from what Obama has produced with his healthcare act. In Britain, we don't take out insurance with private companies, which is what Obama plans for Americans. The Affordable Healthcare Act was produced by insurance companies and will benefit those companies.
Morning AnnaEsse, How come Obama says the cost has been factored into the Budget. If poor people can't afford tp pay Insurance now, how will they
benefit ? The Republicans have vetoed the Bill because they say it is too costly so is it intended that the Government will pick up the tab for Insurance if the Patient can't afford to pay, this is not making sense to me. 

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  AnnaEsse on Thu 3 Oct - 9:45

Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

Whatever the reasons, for a Government to put 800,000 workers temporarily out of work without pay is shameful and shows once again what little care those elected have shown  for the population, egos are working here not reason. A Republican gave a short interview to Kate Burley of sky earlier today and she sure showed little sympathy for what was going on. He was trying to justify the reason the Republicans vetoes Obamacare and she said Britain was a small Country by comparison to the US which is  very wealthy yet Britain manages to offer free Medical Care so why can't the US do the same...he had no answer.
Panda, it's important to stress that Britain doesn't offer free medical care. We pay for it with our National Insurance. This makes it very different from what Obama has produced with his healthcare act. In Britain, we don't take out insurance with private companies, which is what Obama plans for Americans. The Affordable Healthcare Act was produced by insurance companies and will benefit those companies.
Morning AnnaEsse, How come Obama says the cost has been factored into the Budget. If poor people can't afford tp pay Insurance now, how will they
benefit ? The Republicans have vetoed the Bill because they say it is too costly so is it intended that the Government will pick up the tab for Insurance if the Patient can't afford to pay, this is not making sense to me. 
Panda, there will still be Medicaid and Medicare for those who can't pay, but if you look at the article I posted above, if people have any assets, they will be stripped of them to pay the medical costs. Only those so poor as to have no assets will benefit.

Lots of small businesses in the US are reducing employees working hours so they they don't have to meet the expense of paying health insurance for staff. Those part-time employees will not be able to afford it themselves. This is not socialised health care. It's forcing people to buy private health insurance or pay a fine!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18464
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Thu 3 Oct - 9:56

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

Whatever the reasons, for a Government to put 800,000 workers temporarily out of work without pay is shameful and shows once again what little care those elected have shown  for the population, egos are working here not reason. A Republican gave a short interview to Kate Burley of sky earlier today and she sure showed little sympathy for what was going on. He was trying to justify the reason the Republicans vetoes Obamacare and she said Britain was a small Country by comparison to the US which is  very wealthy yet Britain manages to offer free Medical Care so why can't the US do the same...he had no answer.
Panda, it's important to stress that Britain doesn't offer free medical care. We pay for it with our National Insurance. This makes it very different from what Obama has produced with his healthcare act. In Britain, we don't take out insurance with private companies, which is what Obama plans for Americans. The Affordable Healthcare Act was produced by insurance companies and will benefit those companies.
Morning AnnaEsse, How come Obama says the cost has been factored into the Budget. If poor people can't afford tp pay Insurance now, how will they
benefit ? The Republicans have vetoed the Bill because they say it is too costly so is it intended that the Government will pick up the tab for Insurance if the Patient can't afford to pay, this is not making sense to me. 
Panda, there will still be Medicaid and Medicare for those who can't pay, but if you look at the article I posted above, if people have any assets, they will be stripped of them to pay the medical costs. Only those so poor as to have no assets will benefit.

Lots of small businesses in the US are reducing employees working hours so they they don't have to meet the expense of paying health insurance for staff. Those part-time employees will not be able to afford it themselves. This is not socialised health care. It's forcing people to buy private health insurance or pay a fine!
Right gotcha.......Britain is a soft touch , not just for the indigenous population, but all the immigrants. Doctors are now on a budgert and screaming out for more money , but I know some of them are profligate and will write a prescription for many items available over the Counter . They should never have dropped the £6 charge for prescriptions.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  AnnaEsse on Thu 3 Oct - 9:57

http://www.naturalnews.com/042328_government_shutdown_federal_debt_total_collapse.html

An extract from the above article:

Obamacare, a broken system of coerced, unconstitutional health insurance mandates, is already causing widespread economic disaster across the country as tens of millions of people are losing their jobs, having their hours cut, or seeing their company-sponsored health plans cancelled. But the socialist philosophy of Obamacare is so central to the political left that they are viciously defending it at all costs. If Obamacare fails, the socialist fantasies of the left go down the drain with it, and they can't let that happen... not even if it means medically bankrupting millions of Americans thanks to the outrageously high costs of health insurance everyone is now forced to buy.


From Facebook:


Kevin Sorbo Official Facebook Page
7 hours ago
Let me ask all of you who are in such high favor of Obamacare. Why is it that Obama himself and all of the Dems in Congress aren't signing up for it? Why are they not having to be covered by it? That in itself tells me all I need to know.


_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18464
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  wjk on Thu 3 Oct - 13:21

Panda wrote:.They should never have dropped the £6 charge  for prescriptions.
A prescription in England is £7.65.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-charges-from-april-2013-announced

wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Age : 51
Location : Manchester
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  kitti on Thu 3 Oct - 14:44

I can't make head or tail off this.


How can some people shut down places and Obama just sit their and take it and not be able to do a thing about it.


Just who is running America again?

kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13376
Age : 106
Location : London
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Thu 3 Oct - 17:05

Home»News»World News»North America»USAUS government shutdown: President Obama labels Republican leaders 'reckless'
Barack Obama has called on Republicans to end the government shutdown, calling them "reckless".

Republican House Speaker John Boehner is for now holding firm on demands that the White House roll back its signature healthcare law in exchange for re-opening the government Photo: PABLO MARTINEZ MONSIVAIS/AP
By Raf Sanchez, Washington
2:33PM BST 03 Oct 2013
4 Comments
In a fiery speech, Mr Obama called on his political rivals to end the impasse caused by their refusal to pass a budget that included provisions for his controversial new health insurance plan.

Speaking at a construction firm in Maryland, Mr Obama said that the longer the shutdown went on, "the worse it will be".

“Take a vote. Stop this farce. And end this shutdown right now,” he told an audience at a construction firm in Maryland.

His comments came as a growing number of rank-and-file members said they were prepared to cave and re-open the government without any concessions on Obamacare.

Around 18 Republicans, many of whom represent district with large numbers of federal employees, have said publicly they would vote for a "clean" funding bill that has no impact on the healthcare law.

Related Articles
US shutdown: White House talks fail to end impasse
03 Oct 2013
US government shutdown: Barack Obama to meet John Boehner for talks
02 Oct 2013
US shutdown 'shows things are working'
02 Oct 2013
US government shutdown could last for weeks
02 Oct 2013

If Republican rebels were joined by all 200 Democrats, there would be enough votes in the House of Representatives to pass a bill which could be quickly accepted by the Senate and White House, ending the three-day shutdown crisis.

"Republicans fought the good fight," said Representative Scott Rigell, whose district is home to a large military population. "The time has come to pass a clean [bill] to reopen the government.”

Although the votes are there for a clean funding bill, John Boehner, the Republican speaker of the House, is for now holding firm on demands that the White House roll back its signature healthcare law in exchange for re-opening the government.

Mr Boehner controls what legislation is put to a vote and gave no indication that he would allow a vote on a clean bill as he emerged from a meeting with President Barack Obama last night.

"I would hope that the president and my Democrat colleagues in the Senate would listen to the American people and sit down and have a serious discussion about resolving these differences," he said.

Mr Obama has repeatedly said he would not enter any negotiations until the government is reopened and Congress votes to lift the debt ceiling, the legal amount of money the US government can borrow to service its debts.

On Thursday, he said that Mr Boehner could reopen the government and send hundreds of thousands of people back to work "in just five minutes" by passing a temporary operating budget with no partisan strings attached.

"Speaker John Boehner won't even let the bill get a yes or no vote, because he doesnt want to anger the extremists in his party," Mr Obama said.

"That is what his whole thing is about. There's a simple way to prove it. Send the bill to the floor, let everybody vote.

"It will pass. Send me the bill, I will sign it. The shutdown will be over and we can get back to the business of governing and helping the American people. It could happen in the next half hour."

If Congress does not vote before October 17, the US could begin to default on its debts for the first time in history, sending shockwaves through the global economy.

"Until we make sure that Congress allows treasury to pay for things that Congress itself already authorised we are not going to engage in a series of negotiations," Mr Obama told CNBC on Wednesday.

He will repeat that message on Thursday during a speech in Maryland, given at a small construction company that has benefitted from government loans granted by an agency that has been partially shut down.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Sat 5 Oct - 10:01

The Americans are blaming the Politicians suggesting they are behaving like spoilt brats and must sort this out. Obama has made a speech to the public saying his aim is to see healthcare for everyone. The leader of the Republicans is holding firm and wants a dialogue with Obama but behind the scenes
there is infighting among Republicans with some ready to accept the Healthcare Bill because of the anger of those unemployed and their supporters.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  AnnaEsse on Sat 5 Oct - 17:04

Leukemia Patient To Lose Insurance...

FOUNTAIN HILLS, AZ -
A Fountain Hills man says he may soon have to get another job just to pay for healthcare insurance under the new Affordable Care Act.

Michael Cerpok, is a high school drop-out, one of six kids born to a school teacher, and doesn’t come from a wealthy family. He has run two businesses for more than 25 years and says he may have to do more to literally stay alive.

“I've worked hard because I've had to, and I’ve had to, because cancer runs in my family," says Cerpok, who picked his current health insurance based on that family history. His monthly premium is just about half of his monthly take-home pay.

Back in 2006, he found out he had an incurable form of leukemia that requires ongoing treatment until he dies.

In 2012, his treatment bill was more than $350,000. But because of his insurance, his out-of-pocket was only $4,500.

That’s about to change because Michael just got a letter from his insurance carrier saying as of January 1, he would be dropped from coverage because of new regulations under Obamacare. His doctor at the Mayo Clinic may be gone as well.

"Now it doesn't mean I can't go see my current doctor, but my $4,500 out-of-pocket, is going to turn into a minimum of $26,000 out-of-pocket to see the doctor that I’ve been seeing the last seven years," he said.

Michael realizes millions of people will benefit from the coverage, but he wants them to realize that others are making sacrifices to make that happen.

He says that he and his wife will continue to look at their options, try and find a similar plan, and if they need to, they’ll pick up second jobs.


http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_northeast_valley/fountain_hills/fountain-hills-man-dropped-from-health-insurance-because-of-new-regulations

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18464
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Sat 5 Oct - 23:52

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10346204/Democrats-and-Republicans-blame-each-other-for-US-government-shutdown.html

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Sun 6 Oct - 16:42

My American Friend is a retired Mayor , very Political and I asked her to explain ObamaCare because healthcare as you know is deducted at source and even if you are unemployed you can still get free Healthcare. This is her explanation, not in any particular order:grin: 


And 6th - there is no way he should negotiate any change in health care for a continuing budget resolution or a debt ceiling increase. They passed the bills spending the money, now they have to pay for them. Stop passing the bills that are pork filled and unnecessary and are only done for votes or to please a contributor. Budget discussions are absolutely necessary to reduce spending.






d to put all my political stuff that I have been meaning to catalog from when I served in the legislature into some reasonable format for my kids and whatever legacy they contain and it is a daunting task.

Second, I do miss the occasional words of wisdom but I do read most of the posts, just don't respond.

Third, the most important thing wrong with Obamacare is that Obama is black and how could he possibly have accomplished what 12 white Presidents couldn't. I am in disbelief that the people of this country do not think that 20-40 million people without insurance is a good thing. This is not a government paid program although much of it will be subsidized by the government???? Duh!
It is mandatory, which really riles the conservatives, but the only way the program could work, with both sick and well people buying the insurance. It offers four different levels of coverage and costs are based on level of coverage with certain minimum coverage requirements like mammos, contraception, basic physical, certain shots, certain tests, etc. Any health insurance company could have participated and some opted in and some opted out.

Fourth, it is essential particularly now when our corporations have decided not to include health care in their benefit packages and more and more people were without coverage using emergency rooms as doctor treatment centers for which they did not have to pay if they could not pay.

Fifth, it needs tooling and that will be an ongoing project.

love

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Mon 7 Oct - 14:16

http://news.sky.com/story/1151205/china-urges-the-us-to-act-over-shutdown

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Wed 9 Oct - 8:30



Reid Urges Boehner to Act While Speaker Calls for Talks

By Richard Rubin, Kathleen Hunter & Roxana Tiron - Oct 8, 2013 4:46 PM GMT+0100.




..



In simultaneous challenges to one another, U.S. congressional leaders said the other party must move first to resolve the partial government shutdown and raise the U.S. debt ceiling.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said the Republican-controlled House should vote to end the shutdown and drop demands to change the 2010 Affordable Care Act. House Speaker John Boehner, also speaking in the Capitol this morning, said Reid and President Barack Obama should negotiate.





Enlarge image









U.S. Senator Charles Schumer of New York, from left, Senate majority leader Harry Reid of Nevada, and Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois, listen during a news conference in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 30, 2013. Photographer: Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg




14:23

Oct. 8 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid speaks on the Senate floor about the partial government shutdown, the Affordable Care Act and the prospects for budget negotiations. (Source: Bloomberg)
.
“The way to resolve this is to sit down and have a conversation to resolve our differences,” Boehner, an Ohio Republican, said after meeting with his party’s caucus.

Obama called the speaker less than an hour later to “reiterate that he won’t negotiate on a government-funding bill or debt-limit increase,” said Brendan Buck, a Boehner spokesman.

The White House, in a statement, urged Boehner to allow a vote on raising the debt limit and repeated that only Congress can authorize more borrowing. Obama is willing to negotiate after Republicans end the shutdown and remove the risk of default, the statement said.

The split-screen sniping -- with Boehner speaking to reporters and Reid speaking on the Senate floor -- came as lawmakers are taking the first tentative steps toward resolving the standoff. Both sides are exploring actions that will be needed to end the week-old shutdown and raise the debt limit before U.S. borrowing authority lapses Oct. 17.

Avoiding Default

The start of legislative movement is a sign that some members of both parties see concerns about the effects of a prolonged government shutdown and want to avoid default on interest or other government payments.

Investor concern that U.S. lawmakers won’t avert a default has roiled markets. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index (SPX) fell 0.6 percent at 11:05 a.m. in New York. The yield on 10-year Treasuries increased one basis point to 2.64 percent.

The difference in rates between one- and three-month bills reached 18.2 basis points, the biggest since March 2008, according to closing-market data.

Senate Democrats are planning a test vote before the end of this week on a measure that would grant Obama authority to raise the $16.7 trillion debt ceiling, probably for a year unless two-thirds of both chambers of Congress disapprove.

That plan emerged as Gene Sperling, the director of Obama’s National Economic Council, opened another route toward at least a temporary resolution. He declined to rule out a short debt-limit extension while reiterating the administration’s preference for a longer-term resolution.

Republican Priorities

House Republicans, who had previously discussed pairing a debt-limit increase with a list of party priorities, haven’t released legislation or set a time line for action. Instead, they’re planning to vote to appoint a working group of House members and senators to resolve the multiple impasses, said Representative Matt Salmon, an Arizona Republican.

What Is This Ceiling They're Trying to Raise? »

“What we are going to do is focus all of our attention on wrapping everything into a negotiation, everything,” Salmon said in an interview. “Put everything on the table.”

House Democrats rejected the idea, saying it would recreate the 2011 bipartisan supercommittee that deadlocked.

“We don’t need a supercommittee,” said Representative Xavier Becerra, a California Democrat. “The votes exist right now” to reopen the government.

Yet to be determined is whether House Republicans will consider a vote to raise the debt-ceiling this week or wait for the Senate to act, said two Republican congressional aides, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss party strategy.

Pressing Boehner

If all Senate Democrats along with six Republicans vote for giving Obama authority, they could send a debt-limit increase without policy conditions to the Republican-controlled House early next week. That would put pressure on Boehner, who opposes a clean debt-limit bill.

“If we can get a bipartisan debt ceiling bill in the Senate, that’s one more -- what’s the word -- beacon of sanity that the House at some point would have to pay attention to,” Representative Jim Himes, a Connecticut Democrat, said today.

At least four Republican senators wouldn’t rule out that option yesterday while a spokesman for Mark Kirk, an Illinois Republican, said in an e-mail that Kirk would vote for raising the debt ceiling without conditions.

Calendar Running

“We’ve got a situation where you have a calendar running, you have people who are frustrated and upset, and so let’s figure it out,” Senator Lisa Murkowski, an Alaska Republican, said in an interview at the Capitol yesterday. “We shouldn’t be dismissing anything.”

Senator Heidi Heitkamp, a North Dakota Democrat, wouldn’t take a position on a clean debt-ceiling increase when asked by reporters yesterday. At least four Senate Republicans -- Murkowski, John McCain of Arizona, Bob Corker of Tennessee and Susan Collins of Maine -- kept open the option of voting for a debt-limit increase without conditions or helping one pass.

None of the proposals being floated has been embraced by both parties and all face long odds.

The chance of a U.S. government default is “reasonably high,” Bruce Ratner, chairman of developer Forest City Ratner Cos., said in an interview on Bloomberg Television. There’s a “small group of people who don’t have an understanding of how serious it is,” he said, adding that “the ramifications are huge.”

In a report today, the International Monetary Fund cut its global economic outlook for this year and next and warned that a U.S. default could “seriously damage” the world economy.

Losing Ground

The partial shutdown, which began Oct. 1, has shuttered government services such as Head Start preschool programs and national parks and furloughed federal employees. Other functions, such as mail delivery and Social Security benefits, are continuing.

Obama reiterated yesterday that he won’t negotiate with Republicans over the shutdown and the debt-limit increase, which have merged into a single fight that has proven intractable so far. Republicans are insisting on changing the 2010 Affordable Care Act, while Obama refuses to engage in discussions about tying policy conditions to opening the government or raising the debt limit.

Path Out

If it succeeds, the Senate Democrats’ proposal could provide a path out of the debt-ceiling deadlock by giving both parties what they want. Obama would get an increase in the debt ceiling without negotiating policy conditions with Republicans, and Republicans could say they objected to Obama’s attempts to raise the borrowing limit.

For the Senate Democrats’ plan to work, at least some Republicans would have to allow it to happen. Giving Obama the authority would require the support of at least six Republicans on procedural votes.

In the House, Boehner would have to allow a vote on the plan and at least 16 Republicans would have to support it for it to succeed. He has said the House won’t pass a clean debt-limit bill.

The U.S. will run out of borrowing authority on Oct. 17 and will have about $30 billion in cash after that. The country would be unable to pay all of its bills, including benefits, salaries and interest, some time between Oct. 22 and Oct. 31, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

The House has been passing separate funding bills for parts of the government, including the National Institutes of Health and national parks. Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid have rejected those measures.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Thu 10 Oct - 12:58

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-09/recession-looms-if-treasury-uses-tools-to-prevent-a-debt-default.html?cmpid=

This is very interesting .

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Panda on Thu 10 Oct - 18:41

House Republicans will propose a temporary extension of the US debt ceiling if President Obama agrees to negotiations over budget issues including "Obamacare".

House of Representatives leader John Boehner will offer a six-week extension to the debt ceiling to Mr Obama during a meeting at the White House later on Thursday.

Mr Obama has previously refused to negotiate over budget issues until Congress ended the now 10-day government shutdown and prevented the threat of a first-ever government default.

During a news conference, Mr Boehner said the proposed extension to the debt ceiling was conditional on budget discussions.


National parks and monuments have been closed during the 10-day shutdown
He said: "It's time for leadership. It's time for these negotiations and this conversation to begin.

"What we want to do is to offer the president today the ability to move a temporary increase in the debt ceiling in agreement to go to conference on the budget."

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Mr Obama is willing to sign a "clean" bill - one that does not include policy demands.

He added: "The president is happy that cooler heads at least seem to be prevailing in the house. We haven't seen a bill yet."

The proposal would allow the US government to borrow money until November 22 - potentially averting an unprecedented federal default that could occur as early as October 17.

The Treasury Department has said it would be unable to pay all of its bills if the $16.7 trillion debt ceiling is not raised before next Thursday.

International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief Christine Lagarde warned on Thursday that US failure to raise its debt ceiling would do serious damage to the global economy.

The shutdown began after Congress failed to pass a bill to temporarily fund the federal government, resulting in hundreds of thousands of federal employees stopping work.

The measure is normally routine, but has become entangled in Republican demands for delays or amendments to President Obama's health care overhaul and reduced government spending.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: US Government in part shutdown

Post  Sponsored content Today at 16:06


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum