Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

White British; the Madeleine McCann story

View previous topic View next topic Go down

White British; the Madeleine McCann story

Post  Annabel on Wed 27 Nov - 21:31

http://thelondoneconomic.com/2013/11/27/white-british-the-madeleine-mccann-story/

Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: White British; the Madeleine McCann story

Post  Krisy22 on Wed 27 Nov - 21:37

Thank you Annabel for this article and all the other news you so kindly bring to us.   

Krisy22
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3380
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Annabel on Wed 27 Nov - 21:40

Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC on Wed 27 Nov - 23:48

I think the reply to this article is true. Its the financial status of the families of missing children that determines whether there is great effort to find them or no effort at all.

And, yes, we all relate to the Madeleine McCann situation, because she's 'one of us' and we want her found.

As much as we sympathise with the plight of other children around the world, whether they are missing, starving, or ill treated, there are so many of them that its impossible to help them all.

But its extremely rare for one of our own to go missing under such circumstances and we demand answers.

LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2116
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti on Thu 28 Nov - 7:48

A few years ago in the USA quite a few young children went missing

They were all black and were snatched by a 'high up' mainly White pedophile gang.

The gang were made up of people allegedly police officers, judges, lawyers etc.

The fact that they were black was the reason these poor childrens plight was ignored.

Now, someone got arrested and blamed for these murders but the families off these children have stated that it's not him, who happen to be black, that murdered their children and these families KNOW the house which they were taken too and who did this but no, the authorities would rather jail a scapegoat.

kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13376
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned on Thu 28 Nov - 10:57

'The question posed at the start of this feature is “what fuels media obsession with one middle class white girl and its ignorance of so many other similar cases?” The answer, I believe, is us.'

We all know it is not quite as simple as that but i guess the Newspapers have worked out that a story about Maddie sells more copies.

Question really is why are people so interested in this case !

Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan on Wed 4 Dec - 18:30

Lioned wrote:'The question posed at the start of this feature is “what fuels media obsession with one middle class white girl and its ignorance of so many other similar cases?” The answer, I believe, is us.'

We all know it is not quite as simple as that but i guess the Newspapers have worked out that a story about Maddie sells more copies.

Question really is why are people so interested in this case !
yes we care more about one of ours, but the fact that we never hear about most of them prevents us from caring about the others.

what fuels the media obsession is very simple and it is always the same: money. You can sell the papers about blond blue eyed middle class women and kids and the stories on the others do not sell unless you can fold in a middle class white politician or someone involved like that.

somehow this little angel is depicted as such - how many little low income dark skinned angel figurines do you ever see? that is embedded in fairy tale, that the picture of innocence is very like the one of maddie at age 3 in her little red dress. it touches a deep place with the swarthy gypsy dark evil big bad wolf as the other stereotype. Sad but .

widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda on Wed 4 Dec - 18:51

I think part of it is because Madeleine was a very pretty child especially in the red dress. Secondly, despite all the speculation and what we have read there are still two seperate camps, those who believe Madeleine died in 5a and her body disposed of by Gerry, the other that the parents were not involved and still have sympathy for them.

That is why this Trial is so important , if Amaral wins it is endgame for the McCanns, if they win they will carry on with the Fund. Surely the OPORTO investigation has closed by now? They presumably found something to cause the PJ to re-open the case months ago.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti on Wed 4 Dec - 18:58

How do you know she was pretty?

She looked just like any other three year old.

To me she was MADE to look pretty and angelic .

kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13376
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda on Wed 4 Dec - 19:01

kitti wrote:How do you know she was pretty?

AW kitti, don't say that , Madeleine was very photogenic and pretty measured against many 3 yr olds/

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan on Wed 4 Dec - 19:52

I like that reply, as well:

It’s like when we all sit down to eat with our kids. We do that knowing there are children in other parts of the world that are starving. But that doesn’t stop us from making sure our children are fed. In the same way, the McCanns merely used what was at their disposal.

Also, Madeleine McCcann went missing under exceptionally unusual circumstances, at a time when communication is instant, Journalists no longer need to wait for any time to pass before they know what is happening on the other side of the world.

There are a whole lot of factors that created the media frenzy around the Madeleine McCann case, and it is far more complex than her ‘race’, or the colour of her skin
----------------------------------

True, media has changed over the past 5-10 years; not every family has access to or would think of a media monitor. That - the programs on HSN by Nancy Grace, etc - is all relatively new stuff that changes the face of media as it relates to crime and to missing kids - infotainment.

The interference of all these legal talking heads is huge - and being able to get public attention focused on things so that half of America, or the UK, is now all focused on a single child - be that Haleigh Cummings, madeleine, Caylee Anthony or whomever. We can't have the ad selling, paper selling flavor of the month highlighted because her parents can command, or the cuteness of the child or weirdness of the case can trump everything else. Otherwise guilty people can simply "package" - or news programmers can do it for their own agenda - a story - people without that sophistication will just go without any visibility apart from the local police. Maybe that's the best and most fair way after all but it's not how we are headed today.

widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  mara thon on Wed 4 Dec - 21:19

Panda wrote:

AW kitti, don't say that , Madeleine was very photogenic and pretty measured against many 3 yr olds/
I must agree with kitti, for sure Madeleine was a pretty child but certainly no prettier than thousands of others and there are many others much prettier too. In my opinion she was just an average looking child, there was nothing particularly outstanding about her. I think the reason the McCann case has had so much attention is that the parents obviously had high profile friends and knew just how to use them to keep themselves in the media and the money rolling in. Their confidence grew as they became more and more well known, they had all the right contacts to keep them way up high and had no qualms whatsoever about suing anyone who dared to doubt their stories.

mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7063
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan on Wed 4 Dec - 22:07

mara thon wrote:
Panda wrote:

I must agree with kitti, for sure Madeleine was a pretty child but certainly no prettier than thousands of others and there are many others much prettier too.  In my opinion she was just an average looking child, there was nothing particularly outstanding about her.  I think the reason the McCann case has had so much attention is that the parents obviously had high profile friends and knew just how to use them to keep themselves in the media and the money rolling in.  Their confidence grew as they became more and more well known, they had all the right contacts to keep them way up high and had no qualms whatsoever about suing anyone who dared to doubt their stories.

she was quite photogernic in her red dress - why else continue to sell posters online featuring that brand, and not the photo of the child as she would look today? We all think our own kids are gorgeous but she fits this angelic little image.  I do think their use of a media monitor played a big role and the situation of being on holiday and with parents so (as we then thought) amply covered by alibis, with all their friends, and her being snatched from her bed etc. In other words the innocence of the parents as well as the child - because they were at dinner with 7 friends "50 yards from the apt" they too were innocent- seeming, a clear cut case of good guy vs bad guy. Kate too while many think she is not nice to look at, had a photogenic quality. Young successful and fit - once we got to see her character we think less of her but at that time between her and Madeleine and the story itself, they made good copy.

Also PDL as the place makes a difference in the kind of gorgeous resort photos one might look twice at - just as the parents were not visiting the slums of Rio but rather than high hotels of Berlin and Amsterdam and Madrid, readers gravitate to the nice looking resort photos.

Had she been snatched as a little Brazilian child of poor parents somewhere in the slums with unattractive parents I highly doubt we'd have seen an image of her or the location. Not worthy, won't sell papers.

Last edited by widowan on Wed 4 Dec - 22:27; edited 1 time in total

widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan on Wed 4 Dec - 22:19

As far as her outstanding looks go, didn't Brighit O'Dowd or whatever her name was, say that she could not pick Madeleine out of the line up, at the tennis? All little girls, all blond and pretty and pink - or words to that effect.

I think that was to make her seem like "Anychild" -on BOD's part - it could have been any of them! - however McCanns and their Jon Corner god father played up the gorgeousness angle, to suggest why she was singled out by a pedo. When we all know that the little girls were indistinguishable to at least one observer and it would have been their vulnerability - ie the opportunity to snatch one - that would have attracted a person wanting to grab a blond kid, or any kid.

widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Back to top Go down

Post  comperedna on Thu 5 Dec - 11:01

They ALL look sweet and vulnerable at age 3+. It is called the freshness of youth! Madeleine looked as charming as any child of three. It is just daft to suggest she was somehow oddly or exceptionally pretty, so much so that she would specially attract paedophiles. I do not think the red dress photo is the nicest one of her anyway. Perhaps she looks particularly vulnerable in it.

comperedna
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 855
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  winjoy on Thu 5 Dec - 13:52

mara thon,   I agree with you when you said: "In my opinion she was just an average looking child, there was nothing particularly outstanding about her."

I have never understood people's obsession with her 'beautiful looks' - in my opinion she had inherited the McCann nose and would have ended up looking like her paternal aunts...:-(

As for her mother - I am totally baffled by her being described as beautiful - on any level!

However, I totally agree with the comments on this thread that the "white-middle-class" aspect has been milked to the extreme and helped the ghastly parents no end.

winjoy
Rookie
Rookie

Female
Number of posts : 130
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2013-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:44

Sponsored content