Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years

2 posters

Go down

Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Empty Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years

Post  Guest Mon 2 Feb - 18:47

Thousands of people are enduring a nightmare journey home after the heaviest snowfall to hit the UK in 18 years caused travel chaos.

Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years 15215459
A snow plough clears the snow from the A66 near Bowes

Snow ploughs and gritters will be working non-stop in the next 24 hours

Snow is continuing to fall during the evening rush hour - on top of the 8ins (20cm) overnight that brought large parts of the country to a halt.

Motorists have been warned that disruption on the roads is likely to continue well into the night.

The Highways Agency is advising people to travel only when absolutely necessary.

More than six million people are estimated to have stayed home from work because of the weather and more than 2,000 schools were closed.

It is thought many schools will be closed again on Tuesday.
Air, rail and road services have all also been severely disrupted.
Major airports closed runways with hundreds of flights from Heathrow Airport cancelled.
However, around 100 out of 700 London bus routes are now running a limited service.
Services are on hold in east Sussex for safety reasons.
There are still severe delays on the London Underground. The Northern line, Victoria and Waterloo and City are operating. All others are partly or fully suspended.
There are also major delays on London Overground routes.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the authorities were doing "everything in our power" to get the country moving .
And London Mayor Boris Johnson suspended the congestion charge for the day "as a gesture of my appreciation for those who have travelled to work".

Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years 15215177
A man makes an armchair out of snow in front of The Houses Of Parliament

There is little sign of conditions improving though.

Sky News weather presenter Lucy Verasamy said: "It will get worse before it gets better."

She expects heavy snow in the South East to move northwards into the rest of eastern England before speading to Scotland, parts of Ireland and the South West.

Low temperatures overnight mean the snow in the east is not expected to melt, causing frost and black ice by dawn, Verasamy said. "The South East will turn drier and calmer tomorrow but temperatures will plunge and driving conditions will be treacherous," she warned.

"Scotland will get snow, as will parts of Ireland and the South West. There will be sleet and rain in the South West on coastal areas and some snow inland. The rest of the week is looking very wintry with further sleet and snow to come."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Empty Re: Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years

Post  Guest Mon 2 Feb - 19:17

I was watching it on sky news. Looks terrible on the roads. I'll stop moaning about our rain.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Empty Re: Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years

Post  Guest Mon 2 Feb - 19:19

I was really tempted to go and buy a snowplough today! Just so I could be King of the roads.....pity I can't drive I s'pose....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 2 Feb - 19:30

eddie wrote:I was really tempted to go and buy a snowplough today! Just so I could be King of the roads.....pity I can't drive I s'pose....

Go down to your local depot. They might let you have a go on a gritter !!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 2 Feb - 20:52

justagrannynow wrote:
eddie wrote:I was really tempted to go and buy a snowplough today! Just so I could be King of the roads.....pity I can't drive I s'pose....

Will they???!!! Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Icon_bounce Reallly????
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 2 Feb - 21:24

I want snow. It's snowing on and off all day but it's not heavy enough to stick. Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years 868596
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 3 Feb - 6:30

eddie wrote:
justagrannynow wrote:

Well if I was the manager of the depot eddie, I would. Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 3 Feb - 7:46

Yay we have snow. It's -2 and the whole place is like a picture postcard. Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years 849426
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Krisy22 Tue 3 Feb - 8:52

Antoinette wrote:Yay we have snow. It's -2 and the whole place is like a picture postcard. Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years 849426

Its okay Antoinette... till it goes to grey slush. I agree though its very pretty at the moment.
Krisy22
Krisy22
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3382
Warning :
Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  lubelle Tue 3 Feb - 9:49

Krisy22 wrote:
Antoinette wrote:Yay we have snow. It's -2 and the whole place is like a picture postcard. Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years 849426

Its okay Antoinette... till it goes to grey slush. I agree though its very pretty at the moment.
I want some...i went to bed, and the snow was falling quite heavy... woke up this morning ,to the sun shinning and not abit of snow in sight!
lubelle
lubelle
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1405
Warning :
Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 3 Feb - 11:55

justagrannynow wrote:
eddie wrote:
justagrannynow wrote:

Well if I was the manager of the depot eddie, I would. Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Icon_flower
See Gran, that's why you and I get on so well Worst snow to hit Britain in 18 years Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down