Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal?

3 posters

Go down

No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal? Empty No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal?

Post  LJC Thu 24 Apr - 14:58

Many apologies if this has already been discussed but I could not see a thread where it had been!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justice Minister drawing up paedophile Blacklist
IN NEWS · 30-01-2014 15:01:00 ·

Portugal’s Minister for Justice, Paula Teixeira da Cruz, is drawing up a register referencing paedophiles in Portugal, which is expected to be implemented this year but it has not yet been decided exactly who will have access to this ‘Blacklist’, or how.

Should the Justice Minister’s intention be fulfilled the log will be up and running by the end of this year.
What is not clear, as yet, is the mould within which the controversial measure, aimed at protecting potential victims, will sit.
Minister Teixeira da Cruz’s goal is to create a data base of sex offenders with a view to defending the “rights, freedoms and guarantees of children.”
The diploma will establish the creation of a system that lists sex predators, but will also establish the ways and conditions in which that register can be accessed, to make sure that those who have already been convicted of such crimes are already referenced by police.
In the Minister’s opinion, Portugal’s penal laws that punish sexual abuse offenders “are not enough” and a register for those convicted of such crimes is necessary, among others, for those who employ professionals to work with children.
LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2116
Warning :
No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal? Empty Re: No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal?

Post  LJC Thu 24 Apr - 16:08

The problem with this is that it is a valid argument, whether we like the fact or not, that paedo's from the UK for example, can go underground to countries where there is no Sex Offenders Register, such as Portugal.

I am not saying that I believe that Madeleine was abducted/murdered by a paedophile. However, if SY have identified such instances, whether they were public knowledge previously or not, if they have identified such instances and can back this with evidence, then surely these instances have to be investigated thoroughly?

I know this is not a popular thing to say but it was on the news yesterday, on Sky, that schools are trying to hide how many pupils come into school bearing weapons, so that the schools' reputations are not tarnished.

Can it not follow therefore that countries, and I'm not saying Portugal specifically, but that other countries may be taking the same approach when it comes to paedophiles?

I am firmly of the view that whatever happened to Madeleine, that her parents/or parents' friends, know more than they are letting on, but nevertheless I do keep an open mind about all scenarios and SY, I feel, have to be given the chance to tell us more about what information they have on these instances that they are now flagging up involving paedophile attacks on children.

LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal? Empty Re: No Sex Offenders Register in Portugal?

Post  Claudia79 Thu 24 Apr - 16:39

I don't know exactly what is meant by 'sexual offender's register'. I suspect that they may refer to public lists that exist for instance in the US which anyone can access and that are controversial.One of the first things employers demand before they hire someone is a criminal record so I have no idea how anyone convicted of any type of crime can hide that from an employer. Besides that, all law enforcement agencies can have access to anyone's criminal record.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC Thu 24 Apr - 17:51

I thought this was an interesting piece of information: From Discreet Services: -

Name Change

In most Western countries the laws allow for an individual to change his or her name without having to inform the police / government. Certainly in the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand this is the case.

There are no requirements for criminals to inform the police of their name change. In the UK sex offenders are required to inform the police within 14 days of the change; however when the individual is changing his name to avoid detection this is not done.

A person who changes his or her name can apply for a passport in their new name. The passport does not mention their previous name.

In Canada, one is required to submit their fingerprints as part of the name change process.
In South Africa the rules are unclear.

In the USA laws greatly depend on each State, however, as an example, The State of Maryland requires sex offenders to inform the police within 7 days of their name change. It is reasonable to assume that a determined sex offender who wishes to hide his true identity is unlikely to do this.

In the UK there is no central database for name changes. This means that even the police cannot trace one name to another, unless that individual has "enrolled" his name change through the courts. According to the United Kingdom Deed Poll (name change) Service 99.5% of people do not enroll their name change.

The United Kingdom Deed Poll Service state on their website that in the past 5 years they have changed 190,000 names (http://www.ukdps.co.uk).

Name Change Fraud

While many people have genuine reasons for changing their names this legal loophole is being exploited by Sex Offenders and others seeking to improve their opportunities. Here is how the process works:

The individual seeks a job employment website on the Internet.

He finds a resume of an individual about the same age as himself / herself.

He changes his name to the same as that individual.

He obtains a new passport.

He applies to the university for copies of "his" diploma having "lost the originals". He uses his new passport and new driver's license as proof of identity.

He receives the new documents.

He applies for work with children.

Standard background searches are done on the individual and his details are all confirmed.

He gets the job!!

On 25th February 2011 British Home Secretary Theresa May announced that she would tighten rules to ensure that sex offenders are not able to disappear with a new name.

Although it remains to be seen what she will do, it is worth noting that it was Safe Schools Korea that discovered the pattern of sex offenders changing their names to gain employment in Korea and the wider Asia region. The British and other governments were informed of this pattern in 2009. The Korean authorities were also informed.
LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC Thu 24 Apr - 18:00

Claudia79 wrote:I don't know exactly what is meant by 'sexual offender's register'. I suspect that they may refer to public lists that exist for instance in the US which anyone can access and that are controversial.One of the first things employers demand before they hire someone is a criminal record so I have no idea how anyone convicted of any type of crime can hide that from an employer. Besides that, all law enforcement agencies can have access to anyone's criminal record.

I believe I am right in saying that in Britain it is the law, when convicted of a sex offence, to register with the Police. I don't know if its to do with the same register but we also have Sarah's Law where parents can peruse lists to see if there is a sex offender in their vicinity. However, I think the sex offenders register is something that only the Police can access.

Another thing is, not all sex offenders are seeking employment.

I just think its an interesting topic as it is rumoured there are a good many that go abroad to avoid detection and countries that do not have a sex offenders register are more of a magnet to them for obvious reasons.
LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Thu 24 Apr - 19:28

Let's face it.....if you are a sex offender and are registered or not....when you board a plane, does a 'red flag' appear saying you are a registered sex offender or on the sex offenders list.

Garry glitter comes to mind and let's face it, he is free to go anywhere in the world, who is to stop him.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC Thu 24 Apr - 19:59

kitti wrote:Let's face it.....if you are a sex offender and are registered or not....when you board a plane, does a 'red flag' appear saying you are a registered sex offender or on the sex offenders list.

Garry glitter comes to mind and let's face it, he is free to go anywhere in the world, who is to stop him.

No red flags appear, but I do believe that those who are on the sex offenders register are scared of the fact they are on there and for them escaping abroad is often the answer and they will naturally be drawn to countries that do not have a sex offenders register.
LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sat 26 Apr - 10:45

Lets  not  forget, you have  to  be  caught  and  prosecuted  to  be  on  the  sex  offenders  list.

Also,  still  alot  off  employers  do  not  get  FULL  DISCLAIMERS...ITS CHEAPER.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down