Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  frencheuropean on Mon 9 Jun - 15:51

http://algarvenewswatch.blogspot.pt/2014/06/the-madeleine-case-opposing-opinions.html





Reflections on current affairs in Portugal by journalist and author Len Port.

Monday, June 9, 2014




The McCann case: opposing opinions




In the midst of the latest phase in the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, Sky News presenter Kay Burley entered the fray with an article in the Daily Mirror in which she castigated “conspiracy theorists” and “haters” of Madeleine’s parents.

Burley, a reporter and newsreader of long standing, wrote: “I am absolutely staggered by the number of people on social media who think they know exactly what happened to little Madeleine. Conspiracy theorists believe that it’s only a matter of time before the McCanns are held culpable for their daughter’s disappearance.”

Burley went on to dismiss criticisms of Kate McCann’s refusal to answer questions put to her by Portuguese police, and to belittle what many have read into the findings of cadaver dogs in the McCanns holiday apartment and a hire car they used.

“Easy to dismiss such claims as Looney Tunes, but even a national newspaper was guilty of claiming the McCanns know more than they have told the police,” wrote Burley.

“As a mother I am offended and appalled by such unfounded allegations.

“Every morning the McCann’s must wake up only to be smothered by a blanket of guilt. ‘ If only we’d done this…’

“They have always held on to the hope that Madeleine will be found alive.

“So as the search continues, please ignore the haters and think instead of two desperate parents hundreds of miles away sitting by the phone and hoping against hope that nothing is found this time.”

This heartfelt standpoint exemplifies one of the most contentious features of this extraordinary case. In the absence of indisputable evidence, two conflicting schools of thought have developed about what happened to Madeleine: one that she was abducted, the other that she died inadvertently in the apartment and her parents were somehow involved in a cover-up.

There was no proof either way in 2007 and there is none today, but it is human nature to adopt a preferred line of probability depending on one’s logical and emotional approach.

It is true that many people hiding in the safety of anonymity or pseudonyms make abhorrent, highly abusive comments on internet sites. In the absence of legal options, indeed they should be ignored.

The trouble with Kay Burley’s condemnation, however, is that in its broad sweep it fails to recognise that many of those who do not accept as a given fact that Madeleine was abducted are not “haters.”

Some of the McCann doubters and critics have probably studied this case in more depth and for longer than most mainstream media journalists in Britain.

They are aware, for example, that back in May 2007 no trace was found of a break-in or a burglary, let alone a kidnapping, at the apartment from which Madeleine went missing.

Well-informed sceptics want the truth to emerge so that justice can finally be done. Their reasoned arguments and conclusions are worthy of serious consideration.

Not everyone believes what they hear on television news channels or read in newspapers. ‘Churnalistic’ and seemingly servile coverage of this case gives rise to distrust.

While there is genuine compassion for Madeleine’s devastated parents, a great many Portuguese mothers are offended and appalled by the repercussions in this country of leaving Madeleine and her siblings alone that fateful night.

The reputations of the Portuguese judicial police, the original lead detective and a range of innocent ‘suspects’ have been blackened in the British media over the years.

To cap it all, the Algarve has been cast recently as a hotbed of paedophilia and the ordinary folk dependent on tourism for their livelihood in Praia da Luz have been subjected to the crass timing of the current search operations.

Obviously this case has been a very public and impassioned one, but simplistic rants in the mainstream or social media are not helpful.

One indisputable fact is that no matter how much anyone sympathises with or is critical of Kate and Gerry McCann, it is still far from clear exactly what happened to their daughter.

Sadly, it is looking increasing unlikely we shall know any time soon.

At the end of a TV interview at the weekend, former Chief Inspector Gonçalo Amaral, who believes Madeleine died in the apartment, was asked: “Will we ever find out what really happened that night?”

He replied: “Yes, we will. When MI5 opens the case files we will find out. Don’t forget that the British secret services followed the case right from the beginning. On location.”

Amaral did not predict how long it would be before that information became available.


Posted by Len Port at 2:31 PM 0 comments

frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1186
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  jinvta on Mon 9 Jun - 15:57

Excellent rebuttal to Kay Burley's "churnalism."

This is the part I find most interesting, and I hope Amaral is right:

At the end of a TV interview at the weekend, former Chief Inspector Gonçalo Amaral, who believes Madeleine died in the apartment, was asked: “Will we ever find out what really happened that night?”

He replied: “Yes, we will. When MI5 opens the case files we will find out. Don’t forget that the British secret services followed the case right from the beginning. On location.”

jinvta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1065
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  kathybelle on Mon 9 Jun - 16:25

Regarding Goncalo Amaral's claim about MI5 opening the case, when the McCanns returned home as arguidos, back in 2007, I have always wondered, why a car containing Special Branch officers, escorted them from the East Midland Airport, to their Rothley home.

This is another reason why I believe that both or one of the McCanns know something that must never be revealed to the public.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-homecoming-the-mccanns-return-to-britain-without-madeleine-401866.html


kathybelle
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1696
Age : 70
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  wjk on Mon 9 Jun - 16:45

Do you think someone will have posted the link to Kay Burleys Twitter account?
I'd like to see her try and post the pic of 'Troll spray' to Len Port or call him a Hater!!! Grr!

wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Age : 51
Location : Manchester
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  frencheuropean on Mon 9 Jun - 16:58

kathybelle wrote:Regarding Goncalo Amaral's claim about MI5 opening the case, when the McCanns returned home as arguidos, back in 2007, I have always wondered, why a car containing Special Branch officers, escorted them from the East Midland Airport, to their Rothley home.

This is another reason why I believe that both or one of the McCanns know something that must never be revealed to the public.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-homecoming-the-mccanns-return-to-britain-without-madeleine-401866.html


Interesting read. As I didn't know what was The special Branch, I searched in wikipedia:

"Special Branch is a label customarily used to identify units responsible for matters of national security in British and Commonwealth police forces, as well as in Ireland and the Royal Thai Police. A Special Branch unit acquires and develops intelligence, usually of a political nature, and conducts investigations to protect the State from perceived threats of subversion—particularly terrorism and other extremist activity."

frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1186
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  interested on Mon 9 Jun - 17:08

MI5...Special Branch officers says it all really. There has to be a very significant reason why this couple and their two children were accorded this very special VIP treatment upon their return to the UK, bearing in mind they had abandoned their three children night after night while on vacation in Portugal. It has to be because certain politicians were involved. By the way, whatever happened to Gordon Brown? I know he is still an MP but has anyone interviewed him since he was Prime Minister and dared to ask questions re the "disappearance" of Madeleine. I guess not or I would have heard about it. No wonder "national security" has been mentioned in reference to this case; people will be rioting in the streets if the details of how the Government became involved in this coverup becomes known. Not to mention the enormous cost this investigation is costing British taxpayers.

interested
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2391
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  kathybelle on Mon 9 Jun - 17:17

frencheuropean wrote:
kathybelle wrote:Regarding Goncalo Amaral's claim about MI5 opening the case, when the McCanns returned home as arguidos, back in 2007, I have always wondered, why a car containing Special Branch officers, escorted them from the East Midland Airport, to their Rothley home.

This is another reason why I believe that both or one of the McCanns know something that must never be revealed to the public.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-homecoming-the-mccanns-return-to-britain-without-madeleine-401866.html


Interesting read. As I didn't know what was The special Branch, I searched in wikipedia:

"Special Branch is a label customarily used to identify units responsible for matters of national security in British and Commonwealth police forces, as well as in Ireland and the Royal Thai Police. A Special Branch unit acquires and develops intelligence, usually of a political nature, and conducts investigations to protect the State from perceived threats of subversion—particularly terrorism and other extremist activity."

Hi frencheuropean

I did have another link, that contained information which stated that the car was waiting on the tarmac alongside the plane the McCanns were to disembark from. I surmised rightly or wrongly that if this was the case, the McCanns bypassed passport control and customs.

Here is the link that contains information which states the Special Branch car was waiting on the apron to take the McCanns home. It isn't link I meant, but because it states similar information to the link I did mean, I'm presuming the information is credible.

http://www.24dash.com/news/communities/2007-09-09-mccanns-vow-to-continue-search-for-madeleine-after-uk-return



Last edited by kathybelle on Mon 9 Jun - 17:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding More Information to My Post.)

kathybelle
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1696
Age : 70
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  kitti on Mon 9 Jun - 17:30

And don't forget Mitchell was sent to do a job too......

kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13376
Age : 106
Location : London
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  jinvta on Mon 9 Jun - 21:37

kathybelle wrote:Regarding Goncalo Amaral's claim about MI5 opening the case, when the McCanns returned home as arguidos, back in 2007, I have always wondered, why a car containing Special Branch officers, escorted them from the East Midland Airport, to their Rothley home.

This is another reason why I believe that both or one of the McCanns know something that must never be revealed to the public.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-homecoming-the-mccanns-return-to-britain-without-madeleine-401866.html

kathybelle,

I did not read Amaral's quote as stating that MI5 would open the case, but rather MI5 would "open the case files," implying that there is something in the unreleased files that clearly indicates what happened to Madeleine. Amaral seems quite confident about this.

jinvta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1065
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  kathybelle on Mon 9 Jun - 21:56

jinvta wrote:
kathybelle wrote:Regarding Goncalo Amaral's claim about MI5 opening the case, when the McCanns returned home as arguidos, back in 2007, I have always wondered, why a car containing Special Branch officers, escorted them from the East Midland Airport, to their Rothley home.

This is another reason why I believe that both or one of the McCanns know something that must never be revealed to the public.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-homecoming-the-mccanns-return-to-britain-without-madeleine-401866.html

kathybelle,

I did not read Amaral's quote as stating that MI5 would open the case, but rather MI5 would "open the case files," implying that there is something in the unreleased files that clearly indicates what happened to Madeleine. Amaral seems quite confident about this.

Hi Jinvta   

You're right, Snr Amaral was referring to the case files. However although I read Snr Amaral's comments wrong, it wasn't his comments that I wanted to talk about.

As soon as I saw he had mentioned MI5, I remembered reading an article where the McCanns had been met at East Midland Airport, by Special Branch officers and taken home by them, in an unmarked police car.

The McCanns, had been given a police escort to the Algarve airport, then given a special room at the airport, where they could wait for their flight home in private. They were also given privacy on the plane, thanks to the airline staff, keeping 2 rows behind them empty. I wonder how many people were turfed off the plane, in order that the two child neglecting McCanns, could be treated like royalty.


kathybelle
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1696
Age : 70
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  Ireland on Tue 10 Jun - 6:01

jinvta wrote:
kathybelle wrote:Regarding Goncalo Amaral's claim about MI5 opening the case, when the McCanns returned home as arguidos, back in 2007, I have always wondered, why a car containing Special Branch officers, escorted them from the East Midland Airport, to their Rothley home.

This is another reason why I believe that both or one of the McCanns know something that must never be revealed to the public.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-homecoming-the-mccanns-return-to-britain-without-madeleine-401866.html

kathybelle,

I did not read Amaral's quote as stating that MI5 would open the case, but rather MI5 would "open the case files," implying that there is something in the unreleased files that clearly indicates what happened to Madeleine. Amaral seems quite confident about this.

Well somebody knows something, and I cannot see Goncalo Amaral saying this without prior knowledge. We all know they have friends in high places, what I want to know is who are these friends, and why do they have such friends. I cannot wait for the truth to out itself, and have to hope that one day soon it does.

Ireland
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 141
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  kitti on Tue 10 Jun - 7:58

I'm in two minds about this.


Sometimes I think yes, they were lucky to know someone who knew someone in 'high places).....John McCann....'people owe us favours, it's time to call in those favours'.....but then ...


I think, someone, who I don't know but someone who needs total protection by MI5....certainly not the mccanns, they are know bodies, who in the world was there perhaps innocently I don't know that needs protecting at all counts because it seems there way off thinking is, well the child is dead, you can't bring her back, this person warrants someone saying...it's a security risk...it's a threat to national security


Now that mr amaral has mentioned MI5.....that's not a conspiracy, this is REAL.



kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13376
Age : 106
Location : London
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  Panda on Tue 10 Jun - 8:16



Every morning the McCann’s must wake up only to be smothered by a blanket of guilt. ‘ If only we’d done this…’

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  wjk on Tue 10 Jun - 8:34

kitti wrote:I'm in two minds about this.


Sometimes I think yes, they were lucky to know someone who knew someone in 'high places).....John McCann....'people owe us favours, it's time to call in those favours'.....but then ...


I think, someone, who I don't know but someone who needs total protection by MI5....certainly not the mccanns, they are know bodies, who in the world was there perhaps innocently I don't know that needs protecting at all counts because it seems there way off thinking is, well the child is dead, you can't bring her back, this person warrants someone saying...it's a security risk...it's a threat to national security


Now that mr amaral has mentioned MI5.....that's not a conspiracy, this is REAL.



I'm like you, kitti, I sometimes think like you say, but, then I think if MI5 were involved, this would have been made to disappear years ago. MI5 don't mess about doing reviews etc, they would have MADE the whole situation GONE! Think the guy in the blue bag! MI5 don't mess about doing fake searches!
Thats how I'm feeling at the moment,that could change tomorrow.  

wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Age : 51
Location : Manchester
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  Angelina on Tue 10 Jun - 9:21

If they were escorted by MI5, or Special Branch or whoever, they would know that the truth can't come out....so why keep in the spotlight and write to Cameron asking for a review?

Also, wouldn't Cameron know that MI5 were involved and would, therefore, never have sanctioned a review knowing that the answer was already in the files and could never been seen by the public?

Doesn't make any sense to me.




Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2927
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  Panda on Tue 10 Jun - 9:40

Angelina wrote:If they were escorted by MI5, or Special Branch or whoever, they would know that the truth can't come out....so why keep in the spotlight and write to Cameron asking for a review?

Also, wouldn't Cameron know that MI5 were involved and would, therefore, never have sanctioned a review knowing that the answer was already in the files and could never been seen by the public?

Doesn't make any sense to me.




Nor me Angelina  I do remember not long after the McCanns returned to the UK Police going with Kate and the twins to a nearby Park where they could have a go on the swings. This was because the McCanns were getting hate mail as well as the sympathy.....remember the photo of Gerry sorting the letters out? Maybe Special Branch escorted them from the Airport to their Home and that was their only remit.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  mossman on Tue 10 Jun - 10:16

Angelina wrote:If they were escorted by MI5, or Special Branch or whoever, they would know that the truth can't come out....so why keep in the spotlight and write to Cameron asking for a review?

Also, wouldn't Cameron know that MI5 were involved and would, therefore, never have sanctioned a review knowing that the answer was already in the files and could never been seen by the public?

Doesn't make any sense to me.




I agree.

The time to bury this once and for all was during the review. They could have reviewed, then closed the file, saying they could do nothing more.

Why they chose to move to investigation and now search remains to be seen.

mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  keepingmum on Tue 10 Jun - 10:30

always remember the day the McCanns did a runner from Portugal. Miss Burley said "Every parent's heart must go out to them". Mine didn't.

keepingmum
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 325
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  jassi on Tue 10 Jun - 10:43

Angelina wrote:If they were escorted by MI5, or Special Branch or whoever, they would know that the truth can't come out....so why keep in the spotlight and write to Cameron asking for a review?

Also, wouldn't Cameron know that MI5 were involved and would, therefore, never have sanctioned a review knowing that the answer was already in the files and could never been seen by the public?

Doesn't make any sense to me.




Things have gone badly wrong and the McCanns realise that they will never be free of suspicion unless some other culprit is found. If they are being protected, they can clamour for an investigation, safe in the knowledge that they are fireproof.

Cameron would, or should know if MI5 was involved, but he would have been put on the spot by the McCanns' request. The best he could do would be to go ahead with an investigation, ensuring that no blame attaches to the McCanns.
This sort of thing happens all the time, where Public Inquiries are set up with terms of reference which can only lead to one result.

jassi
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 911
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  kitti on Tue 10 Jun - 10:50

I hark back to the man found in a holdall and locked from the outside in a bath.


It was ruled an accident.



How the hell can you get Inside a holdall, zip and padlock it from the Inside.


He worked for MI6.


But there were talks that he had been followed weeks before he 'died'.




kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13376
Age : 106
Location : London
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  kitti on Tue 10 Jun - 10:55

The fact that the McCann case was labelled 'a threat to our national security' is odd to say the least.




kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13376
Age : 106
Location : London
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  jassi on Tue 10 Jun - 10:58

kitti wrote:The fact that the McCann case was labelled 'a threat to our national security' is odd to say the least.




Just a useful blanket statement guaranteed to stifle further questions.

jassi
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 911
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  kathybelle on Tue 10 Jun - 12:05

Why would an unmarked police car containing Special Branch officers,  be parked on the airport alongside the plane the McCanns were about to disembark from, if the McCanns were not special people in the eyes of the British Government?

Anyone else who behaved in the same way as the McCanns, would have flown home and once they'd gone through passport control and customs,  they would have  either been met by the police and taken to a police station for further questioning, due to their child being a British citizen, or they would have returned home, under their own steam and then visited by the police and members of Social Services.

Until it is proved otherwise, I will always believe that the McCanns know something against certain high profile people, within and outside of the British Government, that must never be brought into the public domain. In my opinion, this is why the British Government, leapt to the McCanns side as soon as they were informed of Madeleine's disappearance.

http://newsoutlines.blogspot.co.uk/p/british-foreign-office-timeline.html

Whatever the McCanns know, is also the reason why they along with their mates, are not persons of interest to Redwood and his team and why the McCanns are being kept informed of every bit of this investigation.

I'm really glad that Goncalo Amaral is now speaking about this investigation.

kathybelle
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1696
Age : 70
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-02-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  LJC on Tue 10 Jun - 23:37

www.scotland.gov.uk wrote:Guidelines on
SPECIAL BRANCH WORK
in the United Kingdom
Foreword
Within the police service, Special Branches play a key role in protecting the public and
maintaining order. They acquire and develop intelligence to help protect the public from
national security threats, especially terrorism and other extremist activity, and through this they
play a valuable role in promoting community safety and cohesion. These revised Guidelines –
which replace the Guidelines issued in 1994 – describe the current broad range of Special
Branch roles and functions at national, regional and local levels.
Although Special Branches continue to have important roles in the policing of extremist activity
and in the provision of personal protection for VIPs and Royalty, counter terrorist work, in close
co-operation with the Security Service (MI5), is currently the main focus of their activity.
The
current nature of the terrorist threat requires a flexible response and we are encouraged by
the development of regional structures which will enhance this approach. In addition, the
appointment of the National Co-ordinator of Special Branch will help ensure an even more
effective joined-up approach.
We are grateful for the professionalism and efficiency with which all Special Branch Officers
carry out their duties and we hope that the revised Guidelines provide a useful tool in describing
and putting into context the essential nature of Special Branch working.

So, it reads to me like this: Special Branch is, amongst other things, the protective arm escorting anyone who is deemed important enough to need protection from attack.  M15 is the Security Service.Therefore it reads to me that they are two different organisations?

LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2116
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  LJC on Tue 10 Jun - 23:47

I am thinking it was feared the McCanns could be the subject of a physical attack on their return to Britain. Also an opportunity perhaps, at the same time, to gain some intelligence from them, or on them or intelligence from an attacker about them. Or just treated like VIP's for a day to cheer them up? No, I don't think its the latter. Protection coupled with intelligence gathering? Yes, a possibility I think.

LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2116
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Len Port (algarvenewswatch): "The Madeleine case opposing opinions" - Monday, june 9, 2014

Post  Sponsored content Today at 19:55


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum