Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish independence referendum

+3
Claudia79
LJC
Badboy
7 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 Empty Re: Scottish independence referendum

Post  Guest Tue 9 Sep - 12:11

Certainly is. They do take Scottish pounds in Turkey but you get a slightly worse exchange rate, because they're not as used to them and see it as being a greater risk of being handed a dud.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 Empty Re: Scottish independence referendum

Post  Guest Tue 9 Sep - 15:27

AnnaEsse wrote:Now, this is interesting, in Hong Kong currency exchange company Mega Foreign Exchange listed the Scottish pound in its exchange rates, valuing it higher than the English pound. Yesterday it was offering HK$11.50 for a Scottish pound but HK$11.30 for an English one.

Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 Scottish-pound

http://shaunynews.com/2014/09/08/scottish-pound-now-worth-more-than-the-english-pound/

this is from back april/may this year. from wondering why someone would pay more for something which has the same value as the english version the only conclusion to be considered is the novelty value in the event of a yes vote, sometime after which scottish sterling notes will cease to exist. given that scottish sterling notes are rare outside scotland, they become collectables. it's my opinion and i'm welcome to it.
Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC Tue 9 Sep - 23:39

I just think its a shame that not all Scots get to vote. Think of Scottish folk who have jobs south of the border and so moved to be nearer to work, but who might like to retire back to Scotland one day! Do they not have a say at all? Crazy. So long as you can prove you are Scottish born and bred, you should be entitled to vote no matter where you live. After all, home is where the heart lies and we all end up back there at some point. And there must also be folk living in Scotland who get the vote who are not truly Scottish.

But whichever way the vote goes, it needs to be the right decision for the sake of the whole of the UK. Yes, we are affected too.

I just think that many folk up in Scotland, when they get themselves inside the ballot box, will have a change of heart. I am really hoping its a No vote. I am a UK Midlander who loves my Scottish holidays and think the Scots are such a friendly lot. I will be very sad indeed if its a Yes vote. Long live the UK and Great Britain.
LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2116
Warning :
Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 10 Sep - 8:57

LJC wrote:I just think its a shame that not all Scots get to vote.  Think of Scottish folk who have jobs south of the border and so moved to be nearer to work, but who might like to retire back to Scotland one day!  Do they not have a say at all?  Crazy. So long as you can prove you are Scottish born and bred, you should be entitled to vote no matter where you live.  After all, home is where the heart lies and we all end up back there at some point.  And there must also be folk living in Scotland who get the vote who are not truly Scottish.

But whichever way the vote goes, it needs to be the right decision for the sake of the whole of the UK.  Yes, we are affected too.

I just think that many folk up in Scotland, when they get themselves inside the ballot box, will have a change of heart.  I am really hoping its a No vote.  I am a UK Midlander who loves my Scottish holidays and think the Scots are such a friendly lot. I will be very sad indeed if its a Yes vote.  Long live the UK and Great Britain.

you do have to ask why the votes is for residents only, which includes a few hundred thousand europeans, don't you?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC Wed 10 Sep - 15:05

Marky wrote:
LJC wrote:I just think its a shame that not all Scots get to vote.  Think of Scottish folk who have jobs south of the border and so moved to be nearer to work, but who might like to retire back to Scotland one day!  Do they not have a say at all?  Crazy. So long as you can prove you are Scottish born and bred, you should be entitled to vote no matter where you live.  After all, home is where the heart lies and we all end up back there at some point.  And there must also be folk living in Scotland who get the vote who are not truly Scottish.

But whichever way the vote goes, it needs to be the right decision for the sake of the whole of the UK.  Yes, we are affected too.

I just think that many folk up in Scotland, when they get themselves inside the ballot box, will have a change of heart.  I am really hoping its a No vote.  I am a UK Midlander who loves my Scottish holidays and think the Scots are such a friendly lot. I will be very sad indeed if its a Yes vote.  Long live the UK and Great Britain.

you do have to ask why the votes is for residents only, which includes a few hundred thousand europeans, don't you?  

So true, how can you ask people to vote with their hearts when, for many of them, their hearts lie elsewhere?

I have a really true Scotsman down the road from me but he can't vote because he married an English girl 50 odd years ago and came down to live her way. It doesn't make him any less Scottish. Its just so stupid.
LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 10 Sep - 19:51

LJC wrote:
Marky wrote:

So true, how can you ask people to vote with their hearts when, for many of them, their hearts lie elsewhere?

I have a really true Scotsman down the road from me but he can't vote because he married an English girl 50 odd years ago and came down to live her way.  It doesn't make him any less Scottish.  Its just so stupid.

it's a mess. freedom and william wallace. its all romance. i don't think they know what they're voting yes for.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 10 Sep - 20:55

Err... yes, we do!

Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 10636248_602969209821306_7260289891865962207_n
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 10 Sep - 20:58

Iris wrote:Err... yes, we do!

Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 10636248_602969209821306_7260289891865962207_n

ah, wondered when you'd bite. Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 10 Sep - 21:07

Irvine Welsh puts it so much better than I ever could. Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 23324
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 10 Sep - 21:09

Iris wrote:Irvine Welsh puts it so much better than I ever could. Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 23324

gotta go now. sleep tight. we will continue. yes? Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC Wed 10 Sep - 23:30

Iris wrote:Err... yes, we do!

The grass always seems greener on the other side. I am sure there are a good many self serving elite up in Scotland too who can't wait to govern rip off and patronise. They're everywhere. We get ripped off down here too but show me a country that doesn't. But it's not all bad news and its not that broken that it needs fixing to the extent that Scotland severs all links with the rest of the UK.
LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  katertaif Thu 11 Sep - 7:53

I fully agree, a very accurate analysis. As you say a yes vote would be final and I believe unnecessary, and not in the best interest of any of us.

Certainly there are things needing to be put right, but to cut all ties is too drastic a step. It's probably right to say that Cameron, Milliband and co would not have promised these further concessions without the spectre of complete separation, but surely that they are there now is the main thing.

It isn't something that can be tried for a while and then go back if we don't like it. In the common interest of all of us Festina lente (make haste slowly)
katertaif
katertaif
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1296
Warning :

Registration date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 11 Sep - 9:31

Marky wrote:
Iris wrote:Irvine Welsh puts it so much better than I ever could. Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 23324

gotta go now. sleep tight. we will continue. yes? Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346

anyways iris, if, according to mr welsh, that is it then be careful what you wish for. the yes lobby has glossed over the basics of full independence and the impact it will have.

personally i'm in two minds here. firstly in the event of a yes vote it will probably turn into a half arsed botched up compromise that'll leave you all somewhat let down and the rest of us counting the cost. secondly, a yes vote will almost certainly ensure labour will never win an election again which is not a bad thing.

oh, you can put it much better than mr welsh.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 Empty RBS and Lloyds say they will move their Banks to U.K. if Scotland wins independence

Post  Panda Thu 11 Sep - 10:28

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29151798

Seems the latest Poll shows a "no" vote , let's wait and see what the final result it, Cameron, Miliband and the Lib Dems will not sway the Scots, they are too canny for that . Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 11 Sep - 11:06

Panda wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29151798

Seems the latest Poll shows a "no" vote , let's wait and see what the final result it, Cameron, Miliband and the Lib Dems will  not sway the Scots, they are too canny for that . Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346

oh i don't know. some of them haven't seen through salmond yet. Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 11 Sep - 11:12

Marky wrote:

Seems the latest Poll shows a "no" vote , let's wait and see what the final result it, Cameron, Miliband and the Lib Dems will  not sway the Scots, they are too canny for that . Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346

oh i don't know. some of them haven't seen through salmond yet. Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346

Yeah.....have the Scots really been advised on what seperatism will mean??? I wouldn't like to see Scotland leave , the British isles is small enough as it is .
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 11 Sep - 11:54

Cameron, Milliband and the Lib Dems are actually helping the YES vote by even turning up here. So is Gordon Brown. They really don't understand that they simply are neither loved nor wanted up here.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 11 Sep - 14:47

Iris wrote:

Cameron, Milliband and the Lib Dems are actually helping the YES vote by even turning up here.  So is Gordon Brown.  They really don't understand that they simply are neither loved nor wanted up here.

agreed where cameron and clegg are concerned but milliband does have an interest. Scottish independence referendum - Page 2 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC Thu 11 Sep - 16:44

Iris wrote:

Cameron, Milliband and the Lib Dems are actually helping the YES vote by even turning up here.  So is Gordon Brown.  They really don't understand that they simply are neither loved nor wanted up here.

They are neither loved nor wanted down here either. But that is not a good enough reason I'm afraid to pull up anchor and sail away into some kind of never never land. A dislike of politicians or a political party is the wrong reason to do it. The SNP have never done that well in Scotland before so why trust them now? Salmond is just a crusader; he is very gung ho and over zealous and I think these are bad traits for any politician to have. For example, when he was spouting that its Team Scotland versus Team Westminster and was told that actually Team Westminster do not have a vote and that its Team Scotland versus Team Scotland, with half of Team Scotland in the No camp; he didn't know how to answer that. He does not speak for the whole of Scotland but he thinks he does and that must be quite a worry to all the No voters up there who must be very concerned about how he would govern if its a Yes vote. To have someone who is so over-enthused that he sounds almost childlike in his excitement, to have someone like that at the helm may mean that rather than end up in never never land you end up on the rocks instead and no lifeboats remember because there is no way back.
LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 11 Sep - 19:01

The SNP have been the GOVERNMENT in Scotland for the last four years and most people seem happy enough with them. So I am afraid that "they have never done that well" is a complete fallacy. They have made lots of mistakes, they have also done lots of good things. I would trust them to run an independent country.

TBH I am getting quite tired of people telling us that we're too stupid to know what we are doing. That's the main reason that the NO camp are losing votes IMO.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 11 Sep - 19:40

Iris wrote:The SNP have been the GOVERNMENT in Scotland for the last four years and most people seem happy enough with them.  So I am afraid that "they have never done that well" is a complete fallacy.  They have made lots of mistakes, they have also done lots of good things.  I would trust them to run an independent country.

TBH I am getting quite tired of people telling us that we're too stupid to know what we are doing.  That's the main reason that the NO camp are losing votes IMO.

i don't think you're stupid i just think you're not being told the truth.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC Sat 13 Sep - 16:35

Marky wrote:
Iris wrote:The SNP have been the GOVERNMENT in Scotland for the last four years and most people seem happy enough with them.  So I am afraid that "they have never done that well" is a complete fallacy.  They have made lots of mistakes, they have also done lots of good things.  I would trust them to run an independent country.

TBH I am getting quite tired of people telling us that we're too stupid to know what we are doing.  That's the main reason that the NO camp are losing votes IMO.

i don't think you're stupid i just think you're not being told the truth.

Exactly right Marky. And many people think No voters are stupid and many No voters are tired of being told they are stupid too.

LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Sat 13 Sep - 21:18

ONE OF THE SNP HAS SAID TO BOYCOTT BUSINESSES THAT SAY VOTE NO.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 13 Sep - 23:10

Badboy wrote:ONE OF THE SNP HAS SAID TO BOYCOTT BUSINESSES THAT SAY VOTE NO.

They have no right to interfere Badboy.....especially a GERMAN Bank!!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 14 Sep - 7:42

ah, you gotta laugh. now salmond want a fair chunk of the military handed over, at no cost of course, so he can form scotland's army, air force and navy. and that folks is how a socialist utopia works. everything's free. someone else pays. 'andsome.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next