Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Wed 3 Dec - 10:29

http://news.sky.com/video/1384523/autumn-statement-debt-vs-deficit


When you see what the deficit is you have to wonder at the competence of successive Governments.!!!

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

An easy guide to the implications

Post  Panda on Wed 3 Dec - 10:37

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30284898

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Guest on Wed 3 Dec - 10:46

Panda wrote:http://news.sky.com/video/1384523/autumn-statement-debt-vs-deficit


When you see what the deficit is  you have to wonder at the competence of successive Governments.!!!

look at the size of the welfare budget. good place to start.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Badboy on Wed 3 Dec - 14:11

ANOTHER PLACE TO START IS CUTTING THE WORKFARE SCHEME INCOMPETENTS.
THEY COULD THEORETICALLY GET WELFARE CLAIMANTS OFF FOR £100 INSTEAD OF £1,000+ PAYMENTS TO WORKFARE CONTRACTORS BY  SETTING UP THEIR OWN WEBSITES TO PRODUCE INCOME,WORTH A TRY.

Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 7734
Age : 50
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Wed 3 Dec - 16:58

Marky wrote:
Panda wrote:http://news.sky.com/video/1384523/autumn-statement-debt-vs-deficit


When you see what the deficit is  you have to wonder at the competence of successive Governments.!!!

look at the size of the welfare budget. good place to start.

I think Gordon Brown was a poor Chancellor and made a big mistake abolishing prescription charges Doctors in my Surgery are very thorough but are too ready to issue Prescriptions for items which can be bought over the Counter. I worked as a receptionist at Clinics and saw first hand the waste of Money in the NHS. we have become a Nanny State.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Wed 3 Dec - 17:14

Badboy wrote:ANOTHER PLACE TO START IS CUTTING THE WORKFARE SCHEME INCOMPETENTS.
THEY COULD THEORETICALLY GET WELFARE CLAIMANTS OFF FOR £100 INSTEAD OF £1,000+ PAYMENTS TO WORKFARE CONTRACTORS BY  SETTING UP THEIR OWN WEBSITES TO PRODUCE INCOME,WORTH A TRY.

Time was Badboy that Apprentices were taken on , that stopped when Britain lost its Manufacturing to China and India , Car production to Germany etc and this is why the Welfare payments are such a huge burden, because of the recession.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Angelina on Wed 3 Dec - 18:34

Panda wrote:
Marky wrote:
Panda wrote:http://news.sky.com/video/1384523/autumn-statement-debt-vs-deficit


When you see what the deficit is  you have to wonder at the competence of successive Governments.!!!

look at the size of the welfare budget. good place to start.

I think Gordon Brown was a poor Chancellor and made a big mistake abolishing prescription charges Doctors in my Surgery are very thorough but are too ready to issue Prescriptions for items which can be bought over the Counter. I worked as a receptionist at Clinics and saw first hand the waste of Money in the NHS. we have become a Nanny State.

Well, where I live you have to pay unless you are under 16 or over 60, or suffering from something like diabetes and it's about £7.00 per item - don't pay myself but I'm sure someone can confirm the actual cost.

Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2928
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Wed 3 Dec - 18:50

Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:
Marky wrote:
Panda wrote:http://news.sky.com/video/1384523/autumn-statement-debt-vs-deficit


When you see what the deficit is  you have to wonder at the competence of successive Governments.!!!

look at the size of the welfare budget. good place to start.

I think Gordon Brown was a poor Chancellor and made a big mistake abolishing prescription charges Doctors in my Surgery are very thorough but are too ready to issue Prescriptions for items which can be bought over the Counter. I worked as a receptionist at Clinics and saw first hand the waste of Money in the NHS. we have become a Nanny State.

Well, where I live you have to pay unless you are under 16 or over 60, or suffering from something like diabetes and it's about £7.00 per item - don't pay myself but I'm sure someone can confirm the actual cost.

Hi Angelina , i think wjk mentioned a while ago that she pays , maybe it's Wales . Aneuran Bevan , a Welsh Politician said the NHS should be free from "the cradle to the grave". It's all very well , but has backfired . My American friends think Britain is mad to try to sustain such a burden. They take out Health Insurance , anybody out of work is given Food vouchers , not unemployment benefit , all in all it makes for more self supporting.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Angelina on Wed 3 Dec - 18:53

Panda wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:
Marky wrote:
Panda wrote:http://news.sky.com/video/1384523/autumn-statement-debt-vs-deficit


When you see what the deficit is  you have to wonder at the competence of successive Governments.!!!

look at the size of the welfare budget. good place to start.

I think Gordon Brown was a poor Chancellor and made a big mistake abolishing prescription charges Doctors in my Surgery are very thorough but are too ready to issue Prescriptions for items which can be bought over the Counter. I worked as a receptionist at Clinics and saw first hand the waste of Money in the NHS. we have become a Nanny State.

Well, where I live you have to pay unless you are under 16 or over 60, or suffering from something like diabetes and it's about £7.00 per item - don't pay myself but I'm sure someone can confirm the actual cost.

Hi Angelina , i think wjk mentioned a while ago that she pays , maybe it's Wales . Aneuran Bevan , a Welsh Politician said the NHS should be free from "the cradle to the grave". It's all very well , but has backfired . My American friends think Britain is mad to try to sustain such a burden. They take out Health  Insurance , anybody out of work is given Food vouchers , not unemployment benefit , all in all it makes for more self supporting.

Americans may take out health insurance if they can afford it...and it's extremely expensive but as far as I know that does not include any prescription drugs...they have to pay extra for those. I know an American who goes to Mexico every year and buys a year's supply of her medication...it's cheaper to do the trip than buy it in the US.

We had food vouchers here but it was claimed they were discriminatory so were scrapped.

Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2928
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  wjk on Wed 3 Dec - 19:20

Panda wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:
Marky wrote:
Panda wrote:http://news.sky.com/video/1384523/autumn-statement-debt-vs-deficit


When you see what the deficit is  you have to wonder at the competence of successive Governments.!!!

look at the size of the welfare budget. good place to start.

I think Gordon Brown was a poor Chancellor and made a big mistake abolishing prescription charges Doctors in my Surgery are very thorough but are too ready to issue Prescriptions for items which can be bought over the Counter. I worked as a receptionist at Clinics and saw first hand the waste of Money in the NHS. we have become a Nanny State.

Well, where I live you have to pay unless you are under 16 or over 60, or suffering from something like diabetes and it's about £7.00 per item - don't pay myself but I'm sure someone can confirm the actual cost.

Hi Angelina , i think wjk mentioned a while ago that she pays , maybe it's Wales . Aneuran Bevan , a Welsh Politician said the NHS should be free from "the cradle to the grave". It's all very well , but has backfired . My American friends think Britain is mad to try to sustain such a burden. They take out Health  Insurance , anybody out of work is given Food vouchers , not unemployment benefit , all in all it makes for more self supporting.

Hi ladies, here is the cost of prescriptions in England

http://www.prescriber.org.uk/2014/03/prescription-charges-for-2014/

£8.05

wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Age : 51
Location : Manchester
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Wed 3 Dec - 19:30

Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:
Marky wrote:

look at the size of the welfare budget. good place to start.

I think Gordon Brown was a poor Chancellor and made a big mistake abolishing prescription charges Doctors in my Surgery are very thorough but are too ready to issue Prescriptions for items which can be bought over the Counter. I worked as a receptionist at Clinics and saw first hand the waste of Money in the NHS. we have become a Nanny State.

Well, where I live you have to pay unless you are under 16 or over 60, or suffering from something like diabetes and it's about £7.00 per item - don't pay myself but I'm sure someone can confirm the actual cost.

Hi Angelina , i think wjk mentioned a while ago that she pays , maybe it's Wales . Aneuran Bevan , a Welsh Politician said the NHS should be free from "the cradle to the grave". It's all very well , but has backfired . My American friends think Britain is mad to try to sustain such a burden. They take out Health  Insurance , anybody out of work is given Food vouchers , not unemployment benefit , all in all it makes for more self supporting.

Americans may take out health insurance if they can afford it...and it's extremely expensive but as far as I know that does not include any prescription drugs...they have to pay extra for those.   I know an American who goes to Mexico every year and buys a year's supply of her medication...it's cheaper to do the trip than buy it in the US.

We had food vouchers here but it was claimed they were discriminatory so were scrapped.

I do think we have to toughen up in some ways Angelina, the Welfare bill is astronomical and the way we live today is a throw away Society , people managed after the War but now where do youngsters manage to buy ipods etc. when they are not working??? There is no need today for any teenager to get pregnant , but they know they will be housed, given free rent, child benefit , loans to buy prams etc where else in the World would you find such Government support???

Thanks wjk, do Pensioners in England get free Prescriptions and Bus Passes?

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Guest on Wed 3 Dec - 19:55

Panda wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:

I think Gordon Brown was a poor Chancellor and made a big mistake abolishing prescription charges Doctors in my Surgery are very thorough but are too ready to issue Prescriptions for items which can be bought over the Counter. I worked as a receptionist at Clinics and saw first hand the waste of Money in the NHS. we have become a Nanny State.

Well, where I live you have to pay unless you are under 16 or over 60, or suffering from something like diabetes and it's about £7.00 per item - don't pay myself but I'm sure someone can confirm the actual cost.

Hi Angelina , i think wjk mentioned a while ago that she pays , maybe it's Wales . Aneuran Bevan , a Welsh Politician said the NHS should be free from "the cradle to the grave". It's all very well , but has backfired . My American friends think Britain is mad to try to sustain such a burden. They take out Health  Insurance , anybody out of work is given Food vouchers , not unemployment benefit , all in all it makes for more self supporting.

Americans may take out health insurance if they can afford it...and it's extremely expensive but as far as I know that does not include any prescription drugs...they have to pay extra for those.   I know an American who goes to Mexico every year and buys a year's supply of her medication...it's cheaper to do the trip than buy it in the US.

We had food vouchers here but it was claimed they were discriminatory so were scrapped.

I do think we have to toughen up in some ways Angelina, the Welfare bill is astronomical and the way we live today is a throw away Society , people managed after the War but now where do youngsters manage to buy ipods etc. when they are not working??? There is no need today for any teenager to get pregnant , but they know they will be housed, given free rent, child benefit , loans to buy prams etc where else in the World would you find such Government support???

Thanks wjk, do Pensioners in England get free Prescriptions and Bus Passes?

the UK perception of US medical system is coloured by those who champion the NHS. research it properly, you might be surprised.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Wed 3 Dec - 20:00

Marky, do you want to run that back to me , not sure I know what you mean>

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  wjk on Wed 3 Dec - 20:07

Panda wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:

I think Gordon Brown was a poor Chancellor and made a big mistake abolishing prescription charges Doctors in my Surgery are very thorough but are too ready to issue Prescriptions for items which can be bought over the Counter. I worked as a receptionist at Clinics and saw first hand the waste of Money in the NHS. we have become a Nanny State.

Well, where I live you have to pay unless you are under 16 or over 60, or suffering from something like diabetes and it's about £7.00 per item - don't pay myself but I'm sure someone can confirm the actual cost.

Hi Angelina , i think wjk mentioned a while ago that she pays , maybe it's Wales . Aneuran Bevan , a Welsh Politician said the NHS should be free from "the cradle to the grave". It's all very well , but has backfired . My American friends think Britain is mad to try to sustain such a burden. They take out Health  Insurance , anybody out of work is given Food vouchers , not unemployment benefit , all in all it makes for more self supporting.

Americans may take out health insurance if they can afford it...and it's extremely expensive but as far as I know that does not include any prescription drugs...they have to pay extra for those.   I know an American who goes to Mexico every year and buys a year's supply of her medication...it's cheaper to do the trip than buy it in the US.

We had food vouchers here but it was claimed they were discriminatory so were scrapped.

I do think we have to toughen up in some ways Angelina, the Welfare bill is astronomical and the way we live today is a throw away Society , people managed after the War but now where do youngsters manage to buy ipods etc. when they are not working??? There is no need today for any teenager to get pregnant , but they know they will be housed, given free rent, child benefit , loans to buy prams etc where else in the World would you find such Government support???

Thanks wjk, do Pensioners in England get free Prescriptions and Bus Passes?

Yes, Panda, they do.

wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Age : 51
Location : Manchester
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Wed 3 Dec - 20:19

Thanks wjk.....one perk disabled people get is a brand new Car that is theirs to sell after 3Years. They have to pay insurance, maybe tyres , but even this perk is being abused , I know for a fact that the Person who the Car is for doesn't use it , another Member of the Family does.We have all read about so called people on invalidity
benefit hardly able to walk photographed on Holiday abroad.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  fuzeta on Wed 3 Dec - 22:10

Hello Panda, in England they do not keep the car to sell after three years, it goes back to the leasing company and is replaced by another. They do not pay insurance, they get it taxed and insured. I know this because someone in my husband's family is disabled, also the fellow that lives next door. They don't have to replace tyres all repairs are down to the leasing company.

fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4182
Location : Beautiful Staffordshire
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Thu 4 Dec - 7:00

fuzeta wrote:Hello Panda, in England they do not keep the car to sell after three years, it goes back to the leasing company and is replaced by another.  They do not pay insurance, they get it taxed and insured.  I know this because someone in my husband's family is disabled, also the fellow that lives next door.   They don't have to replace tyres all repairs are down to the leasing company.

HI Fuzeta, an even better perk than I thought . I feel sorry for people who are disabled but this benefit goes too far. It would be much cheaper to provide a motorised wheelchair and free Taxi if the person has to travel some distance. We have all read of Benefit cheats , maybe a tighter control would save a lot of money.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Angelina on Thu 4 Dec - 16:55

Pensioners in the London area get free bus passes (at the moment) but I don't think that applies to the whole country

Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2928
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Thu 4 Dec - 17:27

Angelina wrote:Pensioners in the London area get free bus passes (at the moment) but I don't think that applies to the whole country

Hi Angelina, whatever the Chancellor says he is going to do is just to win the Election then all his plans will gather dust . This is the same Government who charged for a second Bedroom a year ago. They can't have it both ways, we have created a Monster because of easy Credit and youngsters get into debt to buy the latest iphone, computers etc . When i was growing up . there was no such thing as Credit ,if there was something you liked in a shop you paid so much a week until it was paid for , only then would the Shopkeeper let you have the item.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  wjk on Thu 4 Dec - 17:47

Everyone of state pensioner age in England can apply for a free bus pass

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Age : 51
Location : Manchester
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Panda on Thu 4 Dec - 17:56

wjk wrote:Everyone of state pensioner age in England can apply for a free bus pass

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

I do like that idea wjk because it is not abused and helps Pensioners who don't drive , they deserve a bit of help having probably worked hard all their lives.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Angelina on Thu 4 Dec - 19:06

wjk wrote:Everyone of state pensioner age in England can apply for a free bus pass

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

Thanks WJK. I didn't realise that...when I've spoken to people about having free travel into London they have sometimes seemed surprised so I thought it wasn't countrywide. Do you happen to know how long it has been available to everyone?

Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2928
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Angelina on Thu 4 Dec - 19:09

Panda wrote:
wjk wrote:Everyone of state pensioner age in England can apply for a free bus pass

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

I do like that idea wjk because it is not abused and helps Pensioners  who don't drive , they deserve a bit of help having probably worked hard all their lives.

There is quite a lot of talk about it being removed but I think that would be a disaster. The trains into London are always busy with people using bus passes in the day. Obviously they are going to spend money in restaurants, theatres, museums etc so if they take away the passes then those businesses will suffer. We have local pubs where you can get a roast dinner and desert for £6.00 but they will lose trade if people have to pay £2 each way to get there and home. It would put the price of the meal up to £10 which will be just too much for some on a limited budget.

Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2928
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  wjk on Thu 4 Dec - 19:19

Angelina wrote:
wjk wrote:Everyone of state pensioner age in England can apply for a free bus pass

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

Thanks WJK.   I didn't realise that...when I've spoken to people about having free travel into London they have sometimes seemed surprised so I thought it wasn't countrywide.  Do you happen to know how long it has been available to everyone?

Hi Angelina, I've not got a clue when it became available to all

wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7812
Age : 51
Location : Manchester
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Lioned on Thu 4 Dec - 20:23

If you live in a London borough and are aged 60 you can get a 60+ Oyster card which gives you free travel on bus,train,tube in the tfl (transport for London) area (outside of peak times on the trains).
This was introduced by Boris when they moved the OAP (freedom pass) age from 60 to 65.

This was designed to fill the gap until you are 65 and get the OAP (freedom pass).

Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Age : 107
Location : Down South
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Autumn Statement ......debt vs deficit

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:42


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum