Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav

Go down

Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav Empty Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav

Post  Guest Wed 25 Mar - 14:52

A driver has blamed his sat nav for leaving his car teetering on the edge of a cliff after he followed its instructions.

Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav 15248655
Car dragged from cliff top after sat nav 'nightmare'. Pic: Ross Parry/Halifax Courier

Robert Jones said he trusted his navigational system and continued to follow it when
it told him the steep, narrow footpath he was driving on was a road.

Mr Jones, from Doncaster, South Yorkshire, now faces court action for driving without due care and attention.

His BMW nearly plunged down a 100ft cliff in Todmorden, West Yorkshire, on Sunday.

He was only stopped from falling after the vehicle rammed into a wire fence.

Police and rescue teams then spent nine hours recovering his car following the incident.

"It's all well and good trusting your sat nav but how about trusting your eyes and when there's not a road in front of you, don't keep driving."

Onlooker

The 43-year-old, who works as a driver, said he relies on his sat nav for his job and described the incident as a "nightmare".

He told the Halifax Evening Courier: "It kept insisting the path was a road, even as it was getting narrower and steeper, so I just trusted it.

"You don't expect to be taken nearly over a cliff."

Mr Jones added: "I guess I'm just lucky the car didn't slip all the way over the edge."

The drama attracted crowds of onlookers in the picturesque market town that borders the Pennines.

One said: "It's like something off the Italian Job, but what a waste of police time.

"It's all well and good trusting your sat nav but how about trusting your eyes and when there's not a road in front of you, don't keep driving."

A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "Officers received a call at 11.18am on Sunday March 22 reporting that a BMW was hanging off the edge of a cliff off Bacup Road.

"The driver was a 43-year-old man from Doncaster. He has been summonsed to court for driving without due care and attention."

Sorry guys, I know I shouldn't laugh but Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav 23324
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav Empty Re: Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav

Post  Susan Wed 25 Mar - 19:41

Good heavens...I wont be buying one of those in a hurry! Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav 23324
Susan
Susan
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 11477
Location : Spain. The place where children are welcome in tapas bars
Warning :
Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Driver Led To 100ft Cliff Edge By Sat Nav Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-21

https://missingmadeleine.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down