Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The FSS

5 posters

Go down

The FSS Empty The FSS

Post  NoStone Sat 21 Jan - 9:06

does anyone know if there has been any change to the personell at the FSS since May 2007?

Who we are

The Forensic Science Service (FSS) is the market leader in the supply of forensic services to police forces in England and Wales and has a global reputation for excellence in the development and deployment of new and advanced techniques. Its heritage and expertise also provide the basis for world-class training services.

The Forensic Science Service pioneered the development and implementation of DNA technologies. It also paved the way for the establishment of the world’s first DNA database, launched in April 1995.

Since 2005 FSS has been a 100% Government-owned company, or GovCo. The change in status from a Trading Fund enables it to respond quicker to changes in the forensic science market and compete more effectively with other business in the field.

The drive for innovation continued to yield ground-breaking results, with the introduction of the National Firearms Forensic Database in 2003 and Footwear Intelligence Technology (FIT), the UK’s first online footwear coding and detection management system, in 2007.

The FSS mission is:

To retain and reinforce our leading position as the principal provider of forensic science to the UK criminal justice system (UKCJS), and use this platform to become the leading provider worldwide, thereby enhancing long term shareholder value.

The FSS vision will challenge the way forensic services are delivered and who delivers them, and is: Real-time scientific solutions, supporting safer communities.

The FSS values are objectivity, responsiveness, reliability, innovation and collaboration.

The Forensic Science Service Company The Management Team

CEO - Simon Bennett
Dr Simon Bennett became the Chief Executive Officer for the Forensic Science Service in October 2009. He spent the first ten years of his career in North America with the Applied Physics Dept of Stanford University and later became Vice President of Technology at Siscan Systems. He worked for Oxford Instruments plc, before moving to QinetiQ in 2000. There, he held a number of senior positions both as a champion of research and development and latterly in roles geared towards connecting scientific excellence to commercial opportunity.

Chairman - Bill Griffiths
Bill Griffiths is Chairman of the Forensic Science Service. He has an international finance and general management background, chiefly with Unilever - including spells abroad in Ghana, Nigeria and Côte d'Ivoire - and latterly with ICI. He is also currently a non-executive director at DEFRA and at the Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission (part of DWP). He was previously a non-executive at the Department for International Development and at HMRC.

Christopher Hadkiss – Executive Director, UKCJSD
Christopher Hadkiss is responsible for all aspects of operational activity within the UK and as the most senior forensic scientist in the company, directly advises the chairman and board of the FSS on matters of forensic science. His responsibilities also include leading operations in the successful delivery of forensic services to customers in England and Wales; liaising directly at the highest level with customers, police and Government on staff on key issues; and leading development and delivery of operational programmes. Christopher holds a BSc in applied biology and has a long and distinguished career in forensic science, having started as an assistant scientist at the Metropolitan Police laboratory in 1979. In 2003 he was appointed General Manager of the FSS’s London site, and subsequently Regional General Manager with responsibility for the south of England. He then became Director of Operations in 2007 and was appointed to the board as an Executive Director in January 2008.

Finance Director – Richard Hewitt-Jones
Richard became the Finance Director for the Forensic Science Service (FSS) in January 2010. Prior to joining the FSS he was Business Finance Director at Edwards Vacuum and his career has included senior IT, finance and marketing positions with leading international businesses such as Unilever and ICI. He also has significant experience in foreign markets, having worked with Quest International, based in the Netherlands, and Uniqema, a chemical company in Malaysia. His areas of responsibility at the FSS encompass IT, procurement, estates management, various business support services, aswell as all financial matters.

http://www.forensic.gov.uk/html/
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Number of posts : 620
Warning :
The FSS Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The FSS Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

The FSS Empty Re: The FSS

Post  Guest Sat 21 Jan - 9:25

Yes.

Quite a few staff at our local FFS Office we're given their marching orders just before the winter break, a few weeks ago.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Sat 21 Jan - 9:33

The End Is Nigh wrote:Yes.

Quite a few staff at our local FFS Office we're given their marching orders just before the winter break, a few weeks ago.

Thanks TIEN. I was thinking top brass but maybe now a few of the scientists who do the real work have been given the heave-ho, I wonder if any of them are able to spill any beans???
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 21 Jan - 9:38

I very much doubt it - Ethics, Official Secrets Act (you never know), Confidentiality etc.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Sat 21 Jan - 9:43

The End Is Nigh wrote:I very much doubt it - Ethics, Official Secrets Act (you never know), Confidentiality etc.

......papers passed to WikiLeaks et al?
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Sat 21 Jan - 11:31

Remember handily the FSS is exempt from the Freedom of Information Act as well.

Accountability?
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 813
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Sat 21 Jan - 11:46

gillyspot wrote:Remember handily the FSS is exempt from the Freedom of Information Act as well.

Accountability?

None Gillyspot - an authority of their own! Sorry I should have worded My question a lilttle more specificlly!

Do we know who the CEO was in 2007?

I see Christopher Hadkiss – the one responsible for all aspects of operational activity within the UK and liaising directly at the highest level with customers, police and Government on staff on key issues, got promoted to Executive Director in Jan 2008! Presumably on the basis of merit and good work???
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Sat 21 Jan - 12:28

From the accounts y/e 31.3.08 (covering the period they worked on the Madeleine McCann case)

"Quality is a fundamental
requirement for the company. The
reputation of the company and
the trust of its customer base may
be eroded if mistakes are made,
particularly in high profile cases."

The CEO was D J Werrett

http://www.forensic.gov.uk/userfiles/annual-report-2007-08.pdf
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 21 Jan - 12:43

As I recall John Kowe did the work on the samples found in the Renault and said no conclusion could be reached. Since then I believe the FSS has been
sold to the U.S.A, because the Government said it was too expensive to run and more and more Police Stations had their own Forensics Dept which
other Police Stations could use.

The FSS famously said they destroyed the McCann samples because the PJ did not ask for them to be returned.!!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Sat 21 Jan - 12:48

Such an interesting thing that they destroyed the samples on health & safety grounds. If they had done that in Stephen Lawrence case then justice (admittedly only 2 out of 5 or 6 convicted) wouldn't have been served for him and his family
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sat 21 Jan - 13:07

Didnt oldfield have a relative that worked there?
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sat 21 Jan - 13:10

Talking off oldfiield didnt he have a malpractice lawsuit against him pending and GM put a good word in for him...you know, the 'jolly good mates , I done you a favour, now you do me one'.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 21 Jan - 13:19

kitti wrote:Talking off oldfiield didnt he have a malpractice lawsuit against him pending and GM put a good word in for him...you know, the 'jolly good mates , I done you a favour, now you do me one'.

Yes kitti, I do remember the malpractice suit, must have been dropped or if he had been charged it would have been Front Page because of his link with
the McCanns.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sat 21 Jan - 13:25

A settlement must off been made by the hospital...it was a late diagnosis and the
Patient died ...hushed up I recon...no hospital wants to be named and shamed because one doctor was negligent .
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Sat 21 Jan - 14:14

kitti wrote:Didnt oldfield have a relative that worked there?
NO.OLDFIELD DOESN'T HAVE A RELATIVE AT THE FSS?
IT IS SPECULATED RO'B DOES BECAUSE HIS MOTHER MAIDEN NAME IS LOWE.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sun 22 Jan - 10:40