Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE

+8
fred
mumbles
malena stool
pennylane
aqeleega
margaret
buildersbum
Lioned
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 Empty Re: MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE

Post  pennylane Tue 13 Jul - 10:12

fred wrote:
pennylane wrote:
margaret wrote:
The Famous Grouse wrote:He reminds me of Slimy Jeffrey Archer. What on earth the fragrant Mary was doing with that tosser, I simply cannot imagine.

The fragrant Mary has her own life and is just as bad as Jeffrey MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 15327

Indeed Margaret, fragrant Mary also SHARED everything!

I guess if you smell reeeeally good, the judge will spare you the inconvenience of jail!

The fragrant Mary was making a shed load of money "insider trading"

Exactly fred! It was blatantly obvious, and unbelievable that she got away with it! MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 29204
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :
MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 Empty Re: MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE

Post  Panda Tue 13 Jul - 10:32

Well this thread has gone from Mandelson, to Education and now The Archers, in what, 2 pages? Yet the 100
second phone call prompted 31 pages of boring repetition. MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 294124

As a two fingered typist who just wrote a dissertation on our Education system which I thought quite intelligent,
I couldn"t have pressed the "Send" key cos it ain"t here. MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 371436

Anyway, I read a lot of Jeffrey Archer Novels and quite enjoyed them, Didn"t know about Mary, no wonder
they are still together.

Gotta go, having my Carpets cleaned , would have to be raining and chilly today after all the Sunshine we have had. !!!! Catch up later.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Tue 13 Jul - 10:48

MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 303636 Oh.... the corrupt bigot and wheeler dealer politician Jeffery Archer and Mary.... I was thinking of 'The Archers', an every day story of simple country folk battling the elements and adversity down on the farm MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 294124 ..
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Keela Tue 13 Jul - 11:01

mumbles wrote:Have never voted Labour.

However, I can tell you that 24 years ago whilst under the government of Maggie Thatcher - my daughter would return home from school with her 'spellings' unmarked.

On approaching several members of staff to ask why this was - and how was my daughter supposed to learn how to spell if they made no effort to correct her - I was told that teachers now had to put more emphasis on 'creativity & expression' - and poor spelling would be ignored.

I was flabbergasted! MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 87849

Needless to say I took to marking her work myself.

The point I'm making is that the 'dumbing down' of teaching practises has been going on for quite some time.

It's been like that for years. I am constantly amazed at the number of people who don't have basic spelling skills, can't add up without using a calculator and are generally not really educated. One of the many things which annoy me intensely is the use of the apostrophe. People don't seem to know that it denotes either a missing letter or ownership. I have seen signs outside bookies saying "Today's racing..." The standard of eduction has definitely slipped since I left school all those years ago!!!!
Keela
Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2360
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Tue 13 Jul - 11:24

[quote="Panda"]:

Anyway, I read a lot of Jeffrey Archer Novels and quite enjoyed them, Didn"t know about Mary, no wonder
they are still together.
quote]

I like Archers Prison diaries, they were really good.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  mumbles Tue 13 Jul - 12:24

I read 'Kane & Abel' and the 'Prodigal Daughter' years ago - and have to admit to thoroughly enjoying them both. MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 25346
mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 13 Jul - 12:34

[quote="fred"]
Panda wrote::

they are still together.
quote]

Isn"t that the one he used a Ghostwriter for because he was too busy doing charity work to assuage his guilt? MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 294124 MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Tue 13 Jul - 13:01

[quote="Panda"]
fred wrote:

they are still together.
quote]

Isn"t that the one he used a Ghostwriter for because he was too busy doing charity work to assuage his guilt? MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 294124 MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 294124

No, these are the triology that he wrote whist he was banged up. First one is set in Belmarsh. second one in Wayland nick and the third in North Sea camp, the first one had been published before he came out (thb 2nd one might have as well)
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 13 Jul - 13:17

[quote="fred"]
Panda wrote:
fred wrote:

they are still together.
quote]

No, these are the triology that he wrote whist he was banged up. First one is set in Belmarsh. second one in Wayland nick and the third in North Sea camp, the first one had been published before he came out (thb 2nd one might have as well)

I thought you were being facetious because I understood no Prisoner could profit from his Crime so how could
Archer write about these prisons if not from experience.?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Tue 13 Jul - 13:27

[quote="Panda"]
fred wrote:
Panda wrote:
fred wrote:

they are still together.
quote]

I thought you were being facetious because I understood no Prisoner could profit from his Crime so how could
Archer write about these prisons if not from experience.?

It was from experience, he was sent down on 19th July 2001. He says writing about his experience kept him sane. They are well written and very informative about the prison service. I remember when he first started writing and the NOTW serialised the first book and they got it in the neck as a young shoplifter who was in the cell beneath Jeffrey was named (I think). He did profit from the books, and I would imagine that he still get's royalties to this day. I know Dennis Nielsen (Muswell Hill murderer) tried to write his autobiography and the Home Office blocked it, so why Archer could write his "memoirs" I've no idea, but he certainly did. (He was realeased on 23rd July 2003)
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 Empty Greengrocer's apostrophe

Post  comperedna Tue 13 Jul - 13:29

I am with your general argument about current day spelling and punctuation skills, Keela. However, 'Today's racing' is quite correct... Now if the notice had said, 'Cabbage's and cauliflower's for sale' you might justifiably complain.

Signed

A Pedant
comperedna
comperedna
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 865
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 13 Jul - 13:41

comperedna wrote:I am with your general argument about current day spelling and punctuation skills, Keela. However, 'Today's racing' is quite correct... Now if the notice had said, 'Cabbage's and cauliflower's for sale' you might justifiably complain.

Signed

A Pedant

I believe greengrocers have a special dispensation to use the apostrophe as they will!
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 13 Jul - 13:42

The Famous Grouse wrote:He reminds me of Slimy Jeffrey Archer. What on earth the fragrant Mary was doing with that tosser, I simply cannot imagine.

This reminds me of the classic Mrs Merton interview question "Debbie McGee, what first attracted you to millionaire Paul Daniels" MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 23324
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 13 Jul - 14:50

Hare wrote:

This reminds me of the classic Mrs Merton interview question "Debbie McGee, what first attracted you to millionaire Paul Daniels" MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 23324

I suppose Debbie said his looks, personality, loving nature etc. MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 25346

BTW how come Archer managed to profit from his crime? It would have been a nice gesture if he had donated all the profits from the 3 novels to named Charities, he was rich enough before going to Prison. There was
another famous man, I can see his face but can"t remember his name, Politician I think. He too wrote of his
time in Prison.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 13 Jul - 14:59

AnnaEsse wrote:
comperedna wrote:I am with your general argument about current day spelling and punctuation skills, Keela. However, 'Today's racing' is quite correct... Now if the notice had said, 'Cabbage's and cauliflower's for sale' you might justifiably complain.

Signed

A Pedant

I believe greengrocers have a special dispensation to use the apostrophe as they will!

There's a big sign outside the offices of our local rag, advertising "Photo Canvasses".

I have to pass this every day on my way to work. I am always tempted to go in and ask, "what is the photo canvassing for?"

And this is a newspaper, you'd think they'd know better! Or maybe not. MANDELSON, HE IS ABOUT TO GET HIS COMEUPPANCE - Page 2 23324
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Keela Tue 13 Jul - 15:03

Signed

A Pedant

You're right, my quote was not the right or best one. Yours are more like it.
Keela
Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Keela Tue 13 Jul - 15:08

On the other hand..

Wen I wos at skool, we wer tort how to spel proply and how to rit. My handwritin is quit gud and I can spel alrit. I ust to lik inglish langwige and riting storis. I thort at one tim that I wud hav a gow at riting a store or a buk but nuthing cam ov it.
Keela
Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2