Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images.

3 posters

Go down

Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images. Empty Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images.

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 21 Sep - 14:58

WARNING: Graphic images, which can be viewed on the web site. These women were subjected to acid attacks mostly for turning down a marriage.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/photo/2009/11/terrorism-thats-personal.html

A very long article of which this is an extract.

“Bangladesh has imposed controls on acid sales to curb such attacks, but otherwise it is fairly easy in Asia to walk into a shop and buy sulfuric or hydrochloric acid suitable for destroying a human face. Acid attacks and wife burnings are common in parts of Asia because the victims are the most voiceless in these societies: They are poor and female. The first step is simply for the world to take note, to give voice to these women.” Since 1994, a Pakistani activist who founded the Progressive Women’s Association to help such women “has documented 7,800 cases of women who were deliberately burned, scalded or subjected to acid attacks, just in the Islamabad area. In only 2 percent of those cases was anyone convicted.”
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images. Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images. Empty Re: Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images.

Post  malena stool Tue 21 Sep - 21:20

Horrifying that such barbarism exists in today's world ..........but how long before it happens here in the UK with our apparent acceptance of a multicultural society and the multi-various customs and values that accompany it?
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :
Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images. Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images. Empty Re: Women in Pakistan subjected to acid attacks. Graphic images.

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 21 Sep - 21:47

malena stool wrote:Horrifying that such barbarism exists in today's world ..........but how long before it happens here in the UK with our apparent acceptance of a multicultural society and the multi-various customs and values that accompany it?

We've already seen so-called 'honour,' killings here. I guess we should be glad that it's not so easy to buy acid in the UK. Is it?
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Wed 22 Sep - 9:22

AnnaEsse wrote:
malena stool wrote:Horrifying that such barbarism exists in today's world ..........but how long before it happens here in the UK with our apparent acceptance of a multicultural society and the multi-various customs and values that accompany it?

We've already seen so-called 'honour,' killings here. I guess we should be glad that it's not so easy to buy acid in the UK. Is it?
I believe garage owners can get hold of Sulphuric Acid for car batteries, but I suppose boiling water works just as well to cause the pain and disfigurement these sadists are aiming to inflict.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Wed 22 Sep - 9:45

malena stool wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

I believe garage owners can get hold of Sulphuric Acid for car batteries, but I suppose boiling water works just as well to cause the pain and disfigurement these sadists are aiming to inflict.

I did wonder about battery acid and I guess if someone really wants to get hold of some acid that will inflict serious damage, they will. In India and Pakistan there are also very large numbers of women who seem to be careless around cooking stoves and manage to disfigure themselves with accidents with boiling oil, water and open flames.

AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Wed 22 Sep - 9:55

AnnaEsse wrote:
malena stool wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

I did wonder about battery acid and I guess if someone really wants to get hold of some acid that will inflict serious damage, they will. In India and Pakistan there are also very large numbers of women who seem to be careless around cooking stoves and manage to disfigure themselves with accidents with boiling oil, water and open flames.

They do seem to be a bit offhand with the application of their safety regs, as may be seen in the recent collapse of the bridge in the Commonwealth Games village, so the distribution of the odd vat of acid for 'personal use', isn't going to be much of a worry.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Wed 22 Sep - 10:06

malena stool wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
malena stool wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

They do seem to be a bit offhand with the application of their safety regs, as may be seen in the recent collapse of the bridge in the Commonwealth Games village, so the distribution of the odd vat of acid for 'personal use', isn't going to be much of a worry.

A friend of mine, a retired agricultural engineer, spends the winter months in India every year, traveling around giving advice to farmers. So, he has a fair degree of knowledge about the country and its people. Some time ago, he was telling me about building in India and he said then that contractors will use the cheapest materials they can get away with, including sub-standard concrete mixes.

Many of the meds that we need prescriptions for in the UK can be bought over the counter in India and they are often cheaply produced versions of the originals and not tested for safety. I guess this is the only way some people can obtain meds.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Wed 22 Sep - 11:59

AnnaEsse wrote:
malena stool wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

Oprah Winfrey did a show on these poor women, their husbands marry them for the dowry, then they have an "accident" and the man is left free to marry again. They went to a hospital where some of the survivors were, and the reporter was almost sick with the smell of burnt flesh.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Wed 22 Sep - 14:52

The system will be a long time changing as there are religious and economic reasons behind what to our western eyes is an abomination of injustices.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down