Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All watched over by machines and Loving Grace

2 posters

Go down

All watched over by machines and Loving Grace Empty All watched over by machines and Loving Grace

Post  Angelique Tue 24 May - 13:55

I am not trying to promote the programme - just that the programme links this woman to the Banking Crisis - if you can catch on iPlayer it's worth a watch - quite boring in places but its the reason we are paying through our taxes for the Banking crisis.

All watched over by machines and Loving Grace Ayn_ra10

Ayn Rand: a profile
Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism didn't appeal to everyone, but she remains an influential figure.

The writer and philosopher Ayn Rand in New York 1957 Photo: Getty
By Catherine Gee 7:30AM BST 23 May 2011
2 Comments
Ayn Rand - whose work is scrutinised in BBC Two's new documentary, All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace - is something of a Marmite figure. Some love her, some hate her and her philosophic system of Objectivism has certainly attracted widespread criticism over the years. The system is a complex one, essentially meaning that man should put his own happiness first and foremost, spend his time improving himself to his utmost limit and use common sense and reason at every opportunity. His primary motivator should be his own existence and altruism and charity have no place.
Rand was born in Russia in 1905 and moved to the US after becoming one of the first Russian women to graduate from university. It was in this post-Revolutionary country that she was introduced to the works of Plato, Aristotle and Nietzsche and decided that she was an atheist. She first travelled to New York in 1925 to stay with relations and when she first glimpsed the city’s skyline she said she cried "tears of splendour". After marrying a budding actor, Frank O’Connor, she became an American citizen.
Her relationship with the US, in part, defined her. "America is the land of the uncommon man," she wrote. "It is the land where man is free to develop his genius - and to get its just rewards."
She set out to write for films and the stage and had modest success before the release of her first major hit: the novel The Fountainhead in 1943. Her beliefs were dominant in all her works and in this novel the character of Howard Roark, a fiercely determined, cold, uncompromising architect, embodied all of them.
It took her seven years to complete the book and she was prescribed the amphetamine Benzedrine to fight the fatigue. The book was initially rejected by 12 publishers but became a worldwide success. Rand then wrote the screenplay for the film version which was released (after being delayed by wartime restrictions) in 1949 and starred Gary Cooper as Roark. Rand, however, rejected the finished version, saying she “disliked it from beginning to end”.
RELATED ARTICLES
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace, review 23 May 2011
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace, BBC Two, preview 20 May 2011
Adam Curtis: the perils of binary thinking, interview 20 May 2011
It wasn’t until 1957 that she released her most powerful work, Atlas Shrugged. It was over 1,000 pages long and depicted a dystopian world where the government is extending its control over the leading innovators who refuse to be exploited by society. It posed grand philosophical questions on themes of ethics, metaphysics, epistemology, politics, economics, and sex but, despite being a popular success, the critics generally disliked it.
This work was also a drain on Rand and she became increasingly dependent on prescription drugs while also beginning an affair with a younger man, Nathaniel Branden. Branden was also married and the couple were close friends with Rand and her husband. Their affair, which would last years, began with the full knowledge of their spouses. Branden became an advocate of Rand’s theories and established the Nathaniel Branden Institute to spread her principles. His opinions on the subject of both Objectivism and Atlas Shrugged varied somewhat over the years, however, and he later apologised for "contributing to that dreadful atmosphere of intellectual repressiveness that pervades the Objectivist movement".
Rand remained an outspoken activist all her life and continued to write and speak on her philosophy. A cult swelled around her and she has an army of dedicated followers to this day. She thrived on debate and was outspoken on a variety of topics. Above all she valued egoism and reason – allowing little time for emotion or mysticism. By the time she died, three years after her husband, in 1982, Branden had remarried and she had become estranged from many of her closest associates. Her works, however, have remained influential and are read by millions around the world.
- 'All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace' starts today, Monday 23 May, on BBC Two at 9.00pm
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :
All watched over by machines and Loving Grace Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100All watched over by machines and Loving Grace Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

All watched over by machines and Loving Grace Empty Re: All watched over by machines and Loving Grace

Post  Panda Tue 24 May - 15:28

Angelique wrote:I am not trying to promote the programme - just that the programme links this woman to the Banking Crisis - if you can catch on iPlayer it's worth a watch - quite boring in places but its the reason we are paying through our taxes for the Banking crisis.

All watched over by machines and Loving Grace Ayn_ra10

Ayn Rand: a profile
Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism didn't appeal to everyone, but she remains an influential figure.

The writer and philosopher Ayn Rand in New York 1957 Photo: Getty
By Catherine Gee 7:30AM BST 23 May 2011
2 Comments
Ayn Rand - whose work is scrutinised in BBC Two's new documentary, All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace - is something of a Marmite figure. Some love her, some hate her and her philosophic system of Objectivism has certainly attracted widespread criticism over the years. The system is a complex one, essentially meaning that man should put his own happiness first and foremost, spend his time improving himself to his utmost limit and use common sense and reason at every opportunity. His primary motivator should be his own existence and altruism and charity have no place.
Rand was born in Russia in 1905 and moved to the US after becoming one of the first Russian women to graduate from university. It was in this post-Revolutionary country that she was introduced to the works of Plato, Aristotle and Nietzsche and decided that she was an atheist. She first travelled to New York in 1925 to stay with relations and when she first glimpsed the city’s skyline she said she cried "tears of splendour". After marrying a budding actor, Frank O’Connor, she became an American citizen.
Her relationship with the US, in part, defined her. "America is the land of the uncommon man," she wrote. "It is the land where man is free to develop his genius - and to get its just rewards."
She set out to write for films and the stage and had modest success before the release of her first major hit: the novel The Fountainhead in 1943. Her beliefs were dominant in all her works and in this novel the character of Howard Roark, a fiercely determined, cold, uncompromising architect, embodied all of them.
It took her seven years to complete the book and she was prescribed the amphetamine Benzedrine to fight the fatigue. The book was initially rejected by 12 publishers but became a worldwide success. Rand then wrote the screenplay for the film version which was released (after being delayed by wartime restrictions) in 1949 and starred Gary Cooper as Roark. Rand, however, rejected the finished version, saying she “disliked it from beginning to end”.
RELATED ARTICLES
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace, review 23 May 2011
All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace, BBC Two, preview 20 May 2011
Adam Curtis: the perils of binary thinking, interview 20 May 2011
It wasn’t until 1957 that she released her most powerful work, Atlas Shrugged. It was over 1,000 pages long and depicted a dystopian world where the government is extending its control over the leading innovators who refuse to be exploited by society. It posed grand philosophical questions on themes of ethics, metaphysics, epistemology, politics, economics, and sex but, despite being a popular success, the critics generally disliked it.
This work was also a drain on Rand and she became increasingly dependent on prescription drugs while also beginning an affair with a younger man, Nathaniel Branden. Branden was also married and the couple were close friends with Rand and her husband. Their affair, which would last years, began with the full knowledge of their spouses. Branden became an advocate of Rand’s theories and established the Nathaniel Branden Institute to spread her principles. His opinions on the subject of both Objectivism and Atlas Shrugged varied somewhat over the years, however, and he later apologised for "contributing to that dreadful atmosphere of intellectual repressiveness that pervades the Objectivist movement".
Rand remained an outspoken activist all her life and continued to write and speak on her philosophy. A cult swelled around her and she has an army of dedicated followers to this day. She thrived on debate and was outspoken on a variety of topics. Above all she valued egoism and reason – allowing little time for emotion or mysticism. By the time she died, three years after her husband, in 1982, Branden had remarried and she had become estranged from many of her closest associates. Her works, however, have remained influential and are read by millions around the world.
- 'All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace' starts today, Monday 23 May, on BBC Two at 9.00pm

A bit too intellectual for me Angelique........but latest news is one of the rating agencies is investigating several British Banks and a ccouple of Building
Societies, one of which I have an Account ,with a view to re-rating them. If you want an excellent video on the beginning Monetary System and how it
works, there is an excellent video, Zeitgeist , on youtube you can download.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
All watched over by machines and Loving Grace Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100All watched over by machines and Loving Grace Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

All watched over by machines and Loving Grace Empty Re: All watched over by machines and Loving Grace

Post  Angelique Tue 24 May - 22:43

Panda

Thanks for that information - will go off and try and see if I can download it - not very good at this. Many thanks.
All watched over by machines and Loving Grace 25346
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Wed 25 May - 0:13

Panda

I hope you trawl back here - what I omitted to include was that in the programme it was Alan Greenspan was one of Ayn Rands devoted followers. It was him who told Clinton about her philosophy that if you let people choose they can run the world by themselves so too the Banks could run themselves - which allowed them to operate unchecked and caused the first Housing/Bank crash.
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 25 May - 0:28

Hi Angelique,

Alan Greenspan was treated like the Oracle by American Banks, Investment Companies etc and he turned out to be quite unaware of the disater about to happen. he retired just before the crisis.

The way to download the Zeitgiest Movie is the only way I know, send en e-mail to yourself of the link, Probably easier ways of doing it, but it works for
me. All watched over by machines and Loving Grace 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Wed 25 May - 15:19

Hi Panda

In the programme he said he was going to warn Clinton that it would create "a bubble" but changed his mind. To think it could have been avoided makes me very angry. There is another part on next week. I think it's a three part programme.

Thank you for the info about downloading. Will make an attempt. All watched over by machines and Loving Grace 25346
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 25 May - 17:22

All Greenspan said when the bubble was about to burst on the Nasdaq , there is "irrational exuberance". He was always revered as a Sage by the Americans but turned out to be quite ineffectual.

angelique, I urge you to download Zeitgist, the original, not the later version. dont be put off by the First couple of minutes, the picture is dark but that
is for effect. It explains the History of the Monetary System and how the very first Dollar printed meant a debt for someone. It is easy to follow and shows how Banks rule the World , not Governments.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Wed 25 May - 22:02

Hi Panda

I'm onto it - can't figure downloading - got a friend coming round and he will sort. Have been watching it - I understand about the Banks and the invention of the money all too well. what annoys me is that when they lose their shirts we still have to pay, over and over again!
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 25 May - 23:38

Angelique wrote:Hi Panda

I'm onto it - can't figure downloading - got a friend coming round and he will sort. Have been watching it - I understand about the Banks and the invention of the money all too well. what annoys me is that when they lose their shirts we still have to pay, over and over again!

It"s not banking any more, it"s gambling, not with their money either!!! Years ago, a bank had to retain a percentage in liquidity and a person could only borrow two and a half times their income. the Housing boom got out of hand and banks were lending 1OO% . To add insult to injury the Banks got the bl***y cheek to pay their Executives huge Bonuses.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Sat 28 May - 1:05

Panda wrote:

It"s not banking any more, it"s gambling, not with their money either!!! Years ago, a bank had to retain a percentage in liquidity and a person could only borrow two and a half times their income. the Housing boom got out of hand and banks were lending 1OO% . To add insult to injury the Banks got the bl***y cheek to pay their Executives huge Bonuses.

Panda

Noooooo! not the dreaded bonus word - don't get me started - Fred the b****y shred and all the rest .......If we don't pay these big fat bonus they'll go abroad - you know that!

Networking -Bonuses and we get our wages cut or no increases and DC then says we have to have these cutbacks in services. strange they don't ever seem to be able to control the bonuses.
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 28 May - 3:37

Angelique wrote:
Panda wrote:

Panda

Noooooo! not the dreaded bonus word - don't get me started - Fred the b****y shred and all the rest .......If we don't pay these big fat bonus they'll go abroad - you know that!

Hi angelique

The corruption in Britain is beyond belief when you think about it. RBS is owned 70% by the Taxpayer , yet we can"t stop these Bonuses? All we would
have to do is vote them out at the AGM. Moody"s the rating Agency is considering several British Banks and a couple of Building Societies being
downgraded, including Santander, who were supposed to be an alternative Bank to the big 4......who is going to clean up the Banking System?

Networking -Bonuses and we get our wages cut or no increases and DC then says we have to have these cutbacks in services. strange they don't ever seem to be able to control the bonuses.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down