Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sex Abuse at Penn State University

Go down

Sex Abuse at Penn State University Empty Sex Abuse at Penn State University

Post  AnnaEsse Fri 11 Nov - 10:43

Penn State Football Coach Joe Paterno, University President Graham Spanier Out Over Sex Abuse Scandal

http://abcnews.go.com/US/joe-paterno-penn-state-president-graham-spanier-sex/story?id=14913848#.Trz7VvK0Nic

By COLLEEN CURRY and DAN HARRIS (@danbharris)
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. Nov. 9, 2011

Legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier have been removed from their positions, effective immediately, according to the school's board of trustees, amid allegations one of Paterno's former assistants abused children and school officials didn't report what they knew.

Paterno, 84, who earlier today announced that he was "absolutely devastated" by the scandal and would retire at the end of the season, will not get to leave on his own terms, after all.

In fact, Penn State's head coach of nearly five decades will not coach another game, according to the trustees.

"Right now, I'm not the football coach, and that's something I have to get used to," Paterno said, according to The Associated Press.

People gathered at Paterno's house were seen crying.

Paterno eventually came out to suggest the students go home and study, and thanked them for their continued support.

"I am disappointed with the board of trustees' decision, but I have to accept it," he said in a written statement. "A tragedy occurred, and we all have to have patience to let the legal process proceed. I appreciate the outpouring of support but want to emphasize that everyone should remain calm and please respect the university, its property and all that we value."

However, many students in State College, Pa., reacted angrily to Paterno's removal, with thousands gathering on the city's streets. They shook light posts, threw toilet tissue, set off fireworks and yelled out sentiments such as, "We want JoePa," referring to one of Paterno's nicknames, and "One more game."

Lines of police were out in riot gear, but they were far outnumbered by students.

Several students directed their rage at the media, flipping over a satellite truck, breaking its windows and threatening to burn it amid chants of "F*** the media."

Federal Investigation of Penn State Allegations

The end of the line for Paterno and Spanier at Penn State came a few hours after the U.S. Department of Education announced it was launching an investigation into whether university officials mishandled the allegations.

The Education Department is checking to see if the university failed to comply with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the Clery Act), which requires colleges to disclose reported criminal offenses on campus.

"If these allegations of sexual abuse are true, then this is a horrible tragedy for those young boys," Education Secretary Arne Duncan said in a news release. "If it turns out that some people at the school knew of the abuse and did nothing or covered it up, that makes it even worse. Schools and school officials have a legal and moral responsibility to protect children and young people from violence and abuse."

Paterno Assistant, Officials Charged Over Alleged Abuse, Cover-Up

The turmoil follows the arrest of former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, charged with abusing at least eight boys over 15 years.

Athletic director Tim Curley and Vice President for Finance Gary Shultz were charged Tuesday with not reporting the sexual abuse to police and lying to a grand jury under oath during the investigation.

Paterno and Spanier have come under intense pressure because they were also told of at least one incident, but did not alert police.

"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case," Paterno said in a statement today before his dismissal. "I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more," he said.

Read Joe Paterno's Full Statement

Paterno has coached Penn State's football team for 46 years and is the winningest coach in top level college football ever.

"I have been incredibly blessed to spend my entire career working with people I love," he said in his written statement following his dismissal. "I am grateful beyond words to all of the coaches, players and staff who have been a part of this program. And to all of our fans and supporters, my family and I will be forever in your debt."

However, Tom Bradley has been named interim coach for the rest of the season, John P. Surma, vice chairman of Penn State's board of trustees, told reporters this evening.

"These decisions were made after careful deliberations and in the best interests of the university as a whole," he added.

Spanier issued a statement that seemed partly to agree with Surma's sentiment.

"This university is a large and complex institution, and although I have always acted honorably and in the best interests of the university, the buck stops here," he wrote. "In this situation, I believe it is in the best interests of the university to give my successor a clear path for resolving the issues before us."

Spanier apparently had submitted a letter or resignation and the board only needed to accept it at a closed-door meeting that preceded tonight's news conference, a source told ABC News' Lauren Pearle.

Joe Paterno Offered to Retire

In an earlier statement today before the trustees dismissed Paterno and Spanier, Paterno said it has been his intention to "serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care."

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season," Paterno said. "At this moment the board of trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

The coach had a closed meeting with his team and coaching staff this morning where he reportedly broke down in tears while telling them he was leaving, according to the Associated Press. Players, also choking back tears, gave him a standing ovation as he walked out of the gym, the report said.

Paterno was showered with affection by Penn State students who showed up outside his house Tuesday night.

"I've lived for this place. I've lived for people like you guys and girls," Paterno said when he emerged from his home. "It's hard for me to say how much this means.

"As you know, the kids that were the victims. I think we ought to say a prayer for them," he said.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
Sex Abuse at Penn State University Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sex Abuse at Penn State University Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Sex Abuse at Penn State University Empty Re: Sex Abuse at Penn State University

Post  AnnaEsse Sat 12 Nov - 9:05

AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
Sex Abuse at Penn State University Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sex Abuse at Penn State University Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down