Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism

Go down

Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism Empty Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism

Post  Panda Tue 1 May - 14:55

1:22pm UK, Tuesday May 01, 2012

Police have arrested seven people in England and Wales on suspicion of funding terrorism through the alleged sale of the drug khat.
The arrests were made by detectives from the Counter Terrorism Command at four addresses in London, Coventry and Cardiff on Tuesday morning.

"The arrests were a part of a pre-planned, intelligence-led operation, into suspected fundraising for terrorism overseas," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Six men, ranging in age from 30 to 49, and a 45-year-old woman, were taken to a central London police station where they remain in custody.

The money that this network has allegedly been raising was... channelled to support terrorism in Somalia or other areas of North East Africa.

Sky's Martin Brunt
The police said they were "investigating a network suspected of illegally exporting the stimulant khat, which is legal in the UK" to other countries.

Khat is grown in North East Africa and Yemen and chewed leaves act as an amphetamine-like stimulant. It has been used in the region for centuries.

The World Health Organisation said: "Khat chewing induces a state of euphoria and elation with feelings of increased alertness and arousal - this is followed by a stage of vivid discussions, loquacity and an excited mood.

"However, at the end of a khat session the user may experience depressive mood, irritability, anorexia and difficulty to sleep."

Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt said: "The plot is allegedly to export the khat from Britain to the US and Canada where it is banned.

"The money that this network has allegedly been raising was then channelled to support terrorism in Somalia or other areas of North East Africa."

A further eight search warrants were executed at seven residential addresses in London, Worthing, and Coventry, and a business premises in Coventry.

Police said that searches were ongoing, but no other arrests have been made at these premises.

Brunt added: "The US Homeland Security department has been involved in the operation and the planning of it over several weeks."

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism Empty Re: Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism

Post  Panda Tue 1 May - 15:01

A long time ago I worked part time in a Clinic down the Docks, as and when required. One day I went to the local Supermarket to buy a soft drink and there were about 4 local residents, either Somali or West indian , sitting by the Counter chewing what I thought was grass. They were laughing and one
said "missee, you want try?" . I said no but was later told at the clinic it was this khat...and wished I had taken some to try when I got home. Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Seven arrested in England and Wales on suspicion of funding Terrorism Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down