Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head.

2 posters

Go down

In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head. Empty In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head.

Post  Panda Tue 19 Jun - 6:50

New Delhi, India (CNN) -- Police in the northern India state of Rajasthan say they were stunned when a man showed up at a police outpost holding a bloody human head in one hand and a sword in another.

The head was that of the man's daughter, chopped off because of her "indecent behavior," Umesh Ojha, deputy superintendent of the district police, told CNN.

Investigators say the man, Oghad Singh, had paraded the head through the village on his way to the police station.

Singh's daughter, Manju Kunwar, was in her 20s and was living with her parents after divorcing her husband two years ago. Her father accused her of acting indecently with other men.

Authorities say Kunwar's mother is a farmer who was working in the fields at the time and was too distraught to talk. Singh works in a marble quarry.

The beheading happened on Tuesday in Dengar Ka Guda, a village in Rajsamand District about 400 kilometers, or 250 miles, from Jaipur in the state of Rajasthan.

Kunwar's head and the rest of her body were cremated according to Hindu tradition, police said.

India is filled with extremes on many levels, including how women are treated. In India women hold some of the highest positions in society, from company CEOs to the president and speaker of the House, but this case highlights another side of India, one in which women still suffer the consequences of long-held traditions that govern their behavior in Indian society.

This month India topped the Thomas Reuters Foundation poll as the worst place to be a woman among the top 19 economies in the world. The foundation cited abuse, killings and discrimination on a scale unparalleled in the other developed nations.

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head. Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head. Empty Re: In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head.

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 19 Jun - 7:19

Kunwar's head and the rest of her body were cremated according to Hindu tradition, police said.

The father has a Sikh name so that seems odd.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head. Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head. Empty Re: In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head.

Post  Panda Tue 19 Jun - 7:35

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 19 Jun - 7:42

Panda wrote:http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/18/world/asia/india-daughter-beheaded/index.html?eref=rss_to

AnnaEsse, this is the video link, a bit more informative.

I'll try to find that on YouTube as I'm having problems with Adobe Flash. Does it explain why someone with a Sikh name is cremated in the Hindu tradition?
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 19 Jun - 8:32

The video link does not relate to this story but that of a baby murdered by her so-called father for being female. I am doubtful of the authenticity of the original story in view of the strange names. http://www.babynology.com/ gives names for various religions / nationalities. There is no record of Oghad as a Sikh name and Manju for a girl is Hindu.

While I can believe that such atrocities happen, it is possible that this particular story is false.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 19 Jun - 8:35

Not Born Yesterday wrote:The video link does not relate to this story but that of a baby murdered by her so-called father for being female. I am doubtful of the authenticity of the original story in view of the strange names. http://www.babynology.com/ gives names for various religions / nationalities. There is no record of Oghad as a Sikh name and Manju for a girl is Hindu.

While I can believe that such atrocities happen, it is possible that this particular story is false.

The names jumped out at me too and that's why I think the story is a fake.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 19 Jun - 9:08

Well I am not going to comment because I know nothing about sikh names , why don't one of you e-mail CNN about this.? I would.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 19 Jun - 10:08

I have just e-mailed CNN and will let you know if I receive a reply.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 19 Jun - 10:22

Not Born Yesterday wrote:I have just e-mailed CNN and will let you know if I receive a reply.

Good, that's the way to do it. I e-mailed SundayLive ( a discussion programme ) because one young lad interrupted the other guests so much he really got on my nerves.Presenter Samira Ahmed was also interrupting Guests and had no control. Within an hour I got a reply from the BBC and this Sunday
Samira was all "let him speak" and hardly made a comment herself. In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head. 23324 I wasn.t even that interested in the programme.!!!

I remember Mary Whitehouse was the scourge of T.V., but look how standards have fallen since there is no one like her.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 19 Jun - 11:40

Panda wrote:Well I am not going to comment because I know nothing about sikh names , why don't one of you e-mail CNN about this.? I would.

In the Sikh religion, the men traditionally all have the same surname, Singh and the women have the name Kaur, to symbolise the egalitarian nature of the religion. Not all Sikhs nowadays take the name Singh or the women the name Kaur, but when you see the name Singh, you know the person is a traditional Sikh. There are also names that are obviously Muslim, names such as Khan and Ahmed.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 19 Jun - 12:44

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:Well I am not going to comment because I know nothing about sikh names , why don't one of you e-mail CNN about this.? I would.

In the Sikh religion, the men traditionally all have the same surname, Singh and the women have the name Kaur, to symbolise the egalitarian nature of the religion. Not all Sikhs nowadays take the name Singh or the women the name Kaur, but when you see the name Singh, you know the person is a traditional Sikh. There are also names that are obviously Muslim, names such as Khan and Ahmed.

Thanks AnnaEsse, I always thought Sikh was a religion, not surname like Imram Khan.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 19 Jun - 13:03

It can be very confusing to get to grips with a completely different naming system. I used to deal with registering people for rates (both commercial and domestic) and I often asked Asian colleagues for help in determining which way round the names went and whether people were male or female so they would have the correct title. Quite often the issue could not be resolved.

I think I'm correct in saying that, in the Sikh religion the titles Singh or Kaur are used to denote male or female, but people also have a third name, the equivalent of a surname, but some choose not to use that.

The thing that made me cringe was on hearing some colleagues referring to names like Singh, Mohammed, Khan or whatever as people's CHRISTIAN names - NO! It doesn't happen much now but if I get a form asking for my Christian name I cross it out and write first name.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 19 Jun - 13:29

Not Born Yesterday wrote:It can be very confusing to get to grips with a completely different naming system. I used to deal with registering people for rates (both commercial and domestic) and I often asked Asian colleagues for help in determining which way round the names went and whether people were male or female so they would have the correct title. Quite often the issue could not be resolved.

I think I'm correct in saying that, in the Sikh religion the titles Singh or Kaur are used to denote male or female, but people also have a third name, the equivalent of a surname, but some choose not to use that.

The thing that made me cringe was on hearing some colleagues referring to names like Singh, Mohammed, Khan or whatever as people's CHRISTIAN names - NO! It doesn't happen much now but if I get a form asking for my Christian name I cross it out and write first name.

I note DHSS forms are published in 14 Languages !!!!! Among my many jobs I worked in various NHS Clinics part time and the one I really hated working in was in the Docks area where there were mostly Asian residents. One day this old man came in and practically threw a few Benefit books at me and I could'nt understand a word he said. I phoned upstairs for help and one of the Staff came down and spoke to him in his own language. It turned out there were 7 Link Workers employed full time by the NHS to take these immigrants to Doctors, Dentists, Solicitors, Banks etc acting as Interpreters.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

In India Man Chops off Daughter's Head. Empty Lost in translation

Post  Guest Tue 19 Jun - 13:39

I don't know about anyone else but, if I chose to live in a country where the official language was not mine, I wouldn't dream of going places and expecting an interpreter to be provided. I would bring one with me. The council where I worked used to have the Language Line facility where you could get an interpreter and hold a three way conservation but it got too expensive and was stopped.

Mind you, it was sometimes difficult to get through to native English speakers - how some of them ran a business I don't know, they hardly knew what day it was.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 19 Jun - 15:06

Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

Thanks AnnaEsse, I always thought Sikh was a religion, not surname like Imram Khan.

Sikh is a religion, Panda and Khan is a very common Muslim name. The Sikh religion was started by Guru Nanak, who took the best of the Hindu and Muslim religions and created a new one. It was intended that all men should have the same surname and all women their own, same, surname. The caste system was supposed to be abandoned, but flourishes in the Sikh religion with most marriages being arranged between two people of the same caste. Men and women are supposed to be equal, but it's a common sight in my town, where there is a large Sikh community, to see a Sikh woman walking a few paces behind her husband.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down