Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree

+23
cass
tigger
matthew
Annabel
malena stool
dazedandconfused
mossman
mara thon
Lillyofthevalley
interested
Chris
kitti
chrissie
Keela
AnnaEsse
Panda
comperedna
frencheuropean
cherry1
marxman
devonmum
Loopdaloop
pennylane
27 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree

Post  Guest Sun 10 Feb - 9:58

There is an interesting dichotomy arising from Gerald's latest efforts:

It has been mooted (on many occasions) that there might be Super-Injunctions extant in relation to Healy & McCann & sundry others. Not a suggestion I personally agree with, but certainly not one to rule out entirely.

BUT, if there were such constraints, how is it possible for Gerald to occasion the Press to publish his pronouncements on Leveson & The Law without further getting up the noses of the very Press that some think may have been gagged?

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree

Post  Panda Sun 10 Feb - 10:10

It.s quite amazing that Gerry still commands Press interest , but as I said, this is a future Politician talking so more doors are opened to him. The Madeleine saga , sadly has been put on the back burner . Who knows, maybe the Labour Party see him as a vote winner , even possibly Chancellor of the Exchequer since he has shown such business acumen in handling other people's money
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  cass Sun 10 Feb - 10:34

Panda wrote:It.s quite amazing that Gerry still commands Press interest , but as I said, this is a future Politician talking so more doors are opened to him. The Madeleine saga , sadly has been put on the back burner . Who knows, maybe the Labour Party see him as a vote winner , even possibly Chancellor of the Exchequer since he has shown such business acumen in handling other people's money
Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 23324 yep they like spending other peoples money dont they ?errrrm the mps wife though has to have a bit more class than calling everyone f ing to+++ers --- wonder what will happen to the big boooowik launch now -- will they get a big 5 days press -- i think not
cass
cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1654
Warning :
Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 10 Feb - 10:45

cass wrote:
Panda wrote:It.s quite amazing that Gerry still commands Press interest , but as I said, this is a future Politician talking so more doors are opened to him. The Madeleine saga , sadly has been put on the back burner . Who knows, maybe the Labour Party see him as a vote winner , even possibly Chancellor of the Exchequer since he has shown such business acumen in handling other people's money
Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 23324 yep they like spending other peoples money dont they ?errrrm the mps wife though has to have a bit more class than calling everyone f ing to+++ers --- wonder what will happen to the big boooowik launch now -- will they get a big 5 days press -- i think not
Morning cass, yes, Kate would have to curb her language Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 25346and her temper.!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 10 Feb - 11:31

Perhaps she could be tempted to enlist for "I'm A Celebrity (or so I keep telling myself) Get Me Out Of Here" Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 294124
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  devonmum Sun 10 Feb - 11:39

Note to Gerry,

Do not go head to head with Cameron and the newspapers, they know too much Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 192282
devonmum
devonmum
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 185
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  comperedna Sun 10 Feb - 11:43

I opened my Observer and there it was... an article about Mr Gerry's views on Leveson and how the law should be changed as he says 75% of the population want... Why pick him and his views on it... out of all the other celebs and faux celebs involved? An excuse to print a picture of the McCanns, which is always good for sales? Many of us here chewed over whether Gerald will put himself up as a Labour candidate in the next general election. I think he will. Accordingly, for him, all publicity is good publicity. Madeleine? Who is she? Whether any selection committee will be daft enough to pick him, I don't know. Surely enough of such people have decent doubts?
comperedna
comperedna
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 865
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 10 Feb - 11:48

Shadow Scottish Secretary? Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 49091
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  matthew Sun 10 Feb - 11:52

Kitchen assistant Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 25346

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6rhSi85bE9Q9KWSm_spQNYz3voLrcwq3TGrdwj_i6dAOc25no
matthew
matthew
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Male
Number of posts : 967
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  dazedandconfused Sun 10 Feb - 12:02

The End Is Nigh wrote:Perhaps she could be tempted to enlist for "I'm A Celebrity (or so I keep telling myself) Get Me Out Of Here" Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 294124

I'm A Celebrity, Keep Me In Here Forever would suit her.
dazedandconfused
dazedandconfused
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2101
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 10 Feb - 12:05

The End Is Nigh wrote:Perhaps she could be tempted to enlist for "I'm A Celebrity (or so I keep telling myself) Get Me Out Of Here" Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 294124
Morning TEIN there is no way our Kate would demean herself to sit in a trench full of maggots. Have you noticed that since the PDL days when she favoured the blackboard duster trousers, her dress sense has improved considerably !!! It's very unlikely that after all these years of not having a proper job she will go back to work part time as a GP. However, since she worked closely with the 2 Detectives from Alpha, I see her as a Private Detective experienced in searching for missing children and setting up her own Agency.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  matthew Sun 10 Feb - 12:11

Kate has probably never worked so hard in the last six years...staying free has not been easy
matthew
matthew
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Male
Number of posts : 967
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 10 Feb - 12:19

But it's a pernicious kind of freedom though, bearing all that guilt.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Sun 10 Feb - 12:31

Panda wrote:
Morning TEIN there is no way our Kate would demean herself to sit in a trench full of maggots. Have you noticed that since the PDL days when she favoured the blackboard duster trousers, her dress sense has improved considerably !!! It's very unlikely that after all these years of not having a proper job she will go back to work part time as a GP. However, since she worked closely with the 2 Detectives from Alpha, I see her as a Private Detective experienced in searching for missing children and setting up her own Agency.

Would the maggots want to sit in a trench with her?
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 10 Feb - 12:54

They are good at telling other people what to do, although they can't manage it themselves. You'd think that Clarence Mitchell, ex-head of the MMU, would be an expert at controlling what gets printed in the press. Now Mister Gerry is complaining that they can't control the press? What the feck are they paying Clarence good money for, then?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  frencheuropean Sun 10 Feb - 13:01

Have you seen the comments on the Guardian? Some, probably anti, vere suppressed but there are still a lot of comments that freely explain the games played by the McCann with the medias:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/09/gerry-mccann-leveson-inquiry-press-control-laws?fb=native&commentpage=2#start-of-comments
frencheuropean
frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1203
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic Sun 10 Feb - 13:11

Panda wrote:
A slight variation on an old song:

"And the maggots got up and slowly wriggled away."
almostgothic
almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 10 Feb - 13:19

Thankyou for that, FrenchEuropean: Disregarding the obvious Censorship and the usual rabid nutters, the Grauniad Comments show a tremendous amount of antipathy to Healy & McCann.

Those two still seem to be trying to get others to recognise them as royalty, whereas they are nothing of the sort.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 10 Feb - 13:28

I just had a look in the Guardian and it's the first time i have seen the photo of Gerry......very apt!!!Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 25346
This is one of the comments:-

In his evidence to the Leveson Inquiry, Gerry McCann stated that, in early 2011, just before the revelations that led to the closure of the News of the World, the McCanns were in negotiations with Rebekah Wade and Will Lewis at News International to sell serialisation rights to Mrs McCann's book to the Sun and the Times.
Not only would NI pay them £550k but Wade would use her personal contacts with Cameron to pressure Teresa May to 'review' the case.
Hacked Off and the McCanns make for strange bedfellows.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  frencheuropean Sun 10 Feb - 13:31

The last comments:

reasonforlife

10 February 2013 1:21pm

Recommend

More controls? No way. Too much is already covered up and hidden from view

75% agree? Survey figures can be manipulated until you get the one you want.
Share this comment on Twitter
Share this comment on Facebook

jakebh

10 February 2013 1:19pm

Recommend

SIDESHOW – scandalising celebs is the mere moneymaking machine for this sort of “press”. It sells papers and commercial TV ad-space. The mere clout of the wealth acquired from that business practice corrupts the entire media climate, including public service. But it's only a sideshow, a way to finance the whole thing – the main purpose for controlling the information industry is and has always been to spread the views of its masters – to shape the general opinion. Letting their attack dogs lose on political dissenters only if necessary to undo them.
That of course doesn't implicate that regulating rough journalism terrorising non-political celebs is a bad idea per se. By draining the money pipeline it surely starve the snake.

GoogleDrGaspar

10 February 2013 1:18pm

Recommended

More controls? More? How many controls do some people want? Only in an open court the other day the McCanns barrister admitted there was no evidence of abduction! But did you read a word of it in the British press? You cannot even mention the fact that the Portuguese Police files are freely and legally available to read!

jonni7

10 February 2013 1:16pm

Recommended

Just wondering whether the McCanns or foxes will be the next big distraction, after gay marriage and horsemeat

Justanortherngirl

10 February 2013 1:04pm

Recommend

Ah the futility of " keeping a lid on it " as demonstrated by a majority of the comments here.....the McCann couple were very ill advised to become spokespersons for this questionable cause....

Ah the futility of " keeping a lid on it " the McCann couple are ill advised in becoming spokespersons for this questionable cause....surely they would be better conserving their considerable energy and resources in their search for Madeleine.

GoogleDrGaspar

10 February 2013 1:21pm

Recommend

@Justanortherngirl - Perhaps the McCanns were advised to become spokespeople by an enterprising journalist fed up with media manipulation and constraints who knew how this campaign could blow up with the biggest pile of egg upon the face.

extremebrassneck

10 February 2013 12:34pm

Recommend

In late 2011, the McCanns made some amendments to the objectives of the Find Madeleine Fund which enable them to, among other things:

"alone or with other organisations seek to influence public opinion and make representations to and seek to influence governmental and other bodies and institutions".

Gerry McCann wouldn't be paying himself, with money donated by a well-wishing public in the belief that their money will help the McCanns to 'find Madeleine', to further this particular agenda, would he? Money which also affords him the services of a PR spokesman who left his job as head of the Labour govt's Media Monitoring Unit, where it was his job to "control what comes out in the press", in order to represent the McCanns.

As someone said earlier, Gerry McCann (whose phone apparently was never hacked) and Hacked off do indeed make for very strange bedfellows.

frencheuropean
frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1203
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sun 10 Feb - 13:37

The End Is Nigh wrote:There is an interesting dichotomy arising from Gerald's latest efforts:

It has been mooted (on many occasions) that there might be Super-Injunctions extant in relation to Healy & McCann & sundry others. Not a suggestion I personally agree with, but certainly not one to rule out entirely.

BUT, if there were such constraints, how is it possible for Gerald to occasion the Press to publish his pronouncements on Leveson & The Law without further getting up the noses of the very Press that some think may have been gagged?

The reason they can say what they want is BECAUSE they have an Injunction......the press can do sod all about it...for now.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 10 Feb - 13:50

That's the first time I've seen that stated as fact, rather than supposition.

What are the grounds for being able to state it as fact, please?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 10 Feb - 13:55

Iris wrote:They are good at telling other people what to do, although they can't manage it themselves. You'd think that Clarence Mitchell, ex-head of the MMU, would be an expert at controlling what gets printed in the press. Now Mister Gerry is complaining that they can't control the press? What the feck are they paying Clarence good money for, then?
Hi Iris, i don't think Clarence is working for them now, otherwise he would have advised Gerry not to get involved with
Hacked off........His phone never got hacked!!!! We have noticed that there has been very little News about the McCanns lately, they made no comment about SY going to NZ, few Papers reported it and the photo of Gerry in the Guardian has to be extracting the urine.Gerry McCann calls for press control laws – and 75% of the public agree - Page 2 23324
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 Sun 10 Feb - 13:59

screeching 'mental rape' over diary publication is an insult to
all rape victims.
cherry1
cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6529
Warning :

Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  marxman Sun 10 Feb - 14:05

After watching a documentary last night about the
trial and conviction of Phil Spector. I was interested
by a comment from an FBI agent who described the
difficulties involved in prosecuting 'celebrities' for an
array of serious and sinister crimes.
He stated that everytime justice was sought, these
celebs always found a back door.
It was not only to do with the huge wealth and legal
and political clout these people could muster, but the
perception of purety and trust that stardom bestows.
Therefore, I was thinking, could this be a tactic that
Gerry is aiming for? To hide in plain sight? and gain
a perception of respectability that may offer protection,
or a back door?
If Gerry does follow a political path, which I think he
will, is he misguided in thinking that he will escape the
prospect of prosecution?
marxman
marxman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1122
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next