Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guardian article about CPS visit

+12
tanszi
wjk
MaryB
Wintabells
Carolina
interested
weissnicht
pennylane
susible
margaret
AnnaEsse
Panda
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Guardian article about CPS visit Empty Guardian article about CPS visit

Post  Wintabells Sat 22 Jun - 4:08

Madeleine McCann: UK prosecutors visit Portugal to discuss new leads

Review of case by Met police has uncovered a number of potential suspects who have not been interviewed

Sandra Laville, crime correspondent
The Guardian, Friday 21 June 2013 18.14 BST
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/21/madeleine-mccann-uk-prosecutors-visit-portugal
Madeleine McCann
Madeleine McCann went missing from her parents’ holiday apartment in Praia da Luz in 2007. Photograph: PA

Senior prosecutors have travelled to Portugal in a move that could pave the way for the Metropolitan police to begin a new investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Alison Saunders, the senior crown prosecutor for London, and her colleague Jenny Hopkins, head of the complex casework unit, discussed new leads in the inquiry with their Portuguese counterparts.

A £5m Met review of the case, which began in 2011, has uncovered a number of potential suspects who have not been interviewed. Detectives have said they need to be questioned in order for them to be eliminated or pursued further.

The visit of Saunders and Hopkins, accompanied by Met investigators, is a significant development – and adds to speculation that the Met are about to begin a new investigation into the disappearance of the three-year-old in May 2007.

A spokeswoman for the CPS confirmed that prosecutors from CPS London and investigators from the MPS had visited their Portuguese counterparts to discuss the disappearance.

Detective Chief Superintendent Hamish Campbell, who supervised the Met review, said recently that there were a number of individuals who needed to be questioned in relation to the investigation as well as further forensic opportunities to examine.

It is understood that up to 20 individuals need to be questioned. These include some known child offenders who were in the Algarve at the time Madeleine disappeared.

The Met began a review into the case – funded by the Home Office – after Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, appealed to the prime minister, David Cameron, for help.

The Portuguese investigation was closed in 2008 and there have been repeated discussions between the British and Portuguese authorities with a view to reopening the inquiry. So far the Portuguese have refused to do so, saying concrete new evidence would be required.

An investigation led by the Metropolitan police would allow detectives in the UK to interview suspects.

The Metropolitan police is understood to have asked the Home Office to fund a full investigation. A development is likely within the next few weeks.

Madeleine went missing from her parents' apartment in Praia da Luz in 2007 as her mother and father dined with friends at a nearby restaurant.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who is leading the Met police review, said last year his team had identified 195 potential leads.

Scotland Yard also published an age-enhanced image of what Madeleine might look like today, aged nine, saying they had uncovered new information to suggest she could still be alive and living with her abductor.
Wintabells
Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1331
Warning :
Guardian article about CPS visit Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Guardian article about CPS visit Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Guardian article about CPS visit Empty Re: Guardian article about CPS visit

Post  Wintabells Sat 22 Jun - 4:22

A development is likely within the next few weeks.

I wonder if there was any truth to that story of a couple entering 5a to comfort Madeleine. I have so many questions about that incident:

If it was true, did the McCanns know that this happened?
And if they knew, did they tell the PJ?
And if they knew but didn't tell the PJ, why not?
Or, did the PJ discover this happened and eliminate the couple?
And if they eliminated the couple, why isn't there any record of this in the files?
Or, did no-one know about it until SY uncovered it?
And if so, would this not be new evidence and grounds for re-opening the case as it could provide new information/leads or whatever?
And given the Portuguese authorities state that there is no new information/evidence, one would conclude that they already know about the couple or that the story is b/s.

*bangs head against wall*

Wintabells
Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
Guardian article about CPS visit Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Guardian article about CPS visit Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 22 Jun - 7:48

Wintabells wrote:A development is likely within the next few weeks.

I wonder if there was any truth to that story of a couple entering 5a to comfort Madeleine. I have so many questions about that incident:

And if they eliminated the couple, why isn't there any record of this in the files?
And if so, would this not be new evidence and grounds for re-opening the case as it could provide new information/leads or whatever?
And given the Portuguese authorities state that there is no new information/evidence, one would conclude that they already know about the couple or that the story is b/s.

Me too Wintabells.LOL

I want to know   A) When the SY team first decided these people were suspects.  B) Why were they not investigated before now.  C) Why, all of a sudden there is  a breakthrough , enough to get the CPS involved. D) Could it be something to do with the McCanns? Clarence was very noncommital as are the McCanns.

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Sat 22 Jun - 8:07

I have a vague recollection of a photo in the very early days of a middle-aged couple being led into a police car and speculation as to who these people were. This was way back on the Mirror Forum
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  weissnicht Sat 22 Jun - 8:11

"Scotland Yard also published an age-enhanced image of what Madeleine might look like today, aged nine, saying they had uncovered new information to suggest she could still be alive and living with her abductor."

Guardian article about CPS visit 738116
weissnicht
weissnicht
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 851
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Sat 22 Jun - 8:16

weissnicht wrote:"Scotland Yard also published an age-enhanced image of what Madeleine might look like today, aged nine, saying they had uncovered new information to suggest she could still be alive and living with her abductor."

Just as the PJ were obliged to issue that image of "Eggman" based on Jane Tanner's description, I think SY were obliged to show that they had covered all bases so that the McCanns couldn't claim there was work still to do. Gerry: "The police have arrested us but they never bothered to issue an age-enhanced image"
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Sat 22 Jun - 11:39

I was going to start a thread about that, what's the significance of it? There's so many unanswered questions as you've stated, but it did shut Kate and Gerry up didn't it? So maybe there is truth in it and they know it? Guardian article about CPS visit 303636
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  susible Sat 22 Jun - 12:16

Yes, it most definitely shut them up and if true, certainly puts and end to their constant bleating about "satisfactory" child care arrangements...

Very interesting, I really hope that we hear more information about it.
susible
susible
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 282
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sat 22 Jun - 13:45

I consider all these things and then keep coming back to the dogs.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sat 22 Jun - 14:41

weissnicht wrote:"Scotland Yard also published an age-enhanced image of what Madeleine might look like today, aged nine, saying they had uncovered new information to suggest she could still be alive and living with her abductor."

That stood out like a gangrenous sore thumb to me too.  But when you read the previous paragraph, it could easily be some last year's news thrown in at the end of the article to spin things up.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who is leading the Met police review, said last year his team had identified 195 potential leads.

Scotland Yard also published an age-enhanced image of what Madeleine might look like today, aged nine, saying they had uncovered new information to suggest she could still be alive and living with her abductor.
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sat 22 Jun - 14:48

margaret wrote:

I was going to start a thread about that, what's the significance of it? There's so many unanswered questions as you've stated, but it did shut Kate and Gerry up didn't it? So maybe there is truth in it and they know it? Guardian article about CPS visit 303636

It was very weird how the 'caring couple story suddenly burst forth in the media after all this time.  

Hopefully this is that 'left field' bit of information that forced Operation Grange to change it's dubious direction!!! T'would be a miracle and a blessing if it were.
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  weissnicht Sat 22 Jun - 16:45

tanszi wrote:I consider all these things and then keep coming back to the dogs.
And me Guardian article about CPS visit 306321
weissnicht
weissnicht
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 851
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sat 22 Jun - 17:27

hiya weissnicht,  I try and try to keep an open mind, im really very interested in all the coverage of this, and I half convince myself of something but then ....
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  interested Sat 22 Jun - 17:29

weissnicht wrote:
tanszi wrote:I consider all these things and then keep coming back to the dogs.
And me Guardian article about CPS visit 306321

Me too!!!!
interested
interested
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2839
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Sat 22 Jun - 17:58

Why would SY give out an age enhanced picture and tell the press that they believe that Maddie is living with her abductor, thus giving that person a tip off. Knowing that the abductor would most likely decide to get rid of her.
Carolina
Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 874
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells Sat 22 Jun - 18:42

I'm not in any way suggesting the comforting couple had anything to do with Madeleine's disappearance, by the way and I, too, keep coming back to the dogs. You only need to own a dog to know there is no way they show an interest in something that isn't there. I don't think dogs can fake natural dog behaviours in order to get their treat. They can't fake rolling around in ecstasy in cow dung if there's no cow dung, nor can they fake 'you're the one I've been desperately waiting for outside the shop' if you're not. (I could be wrong about this -dogs in films seem capable of acting delighted to be reunited with an actor, but I believe they've been bonded with that person, rather than just trained with treats). The McC apologists want to convice the world that Eddie was just faking his reaction to get his treat. But Eddie's interest in cadaver scent is not a trick, it's a natural drive that all dogs have. Eddie has been trained to learn that when he focusses on his natural instincts then sits still and barks loudly when they're triggered, he'll get his very exciting tennis ball.

Scents do funny things. When I fry sausages, the smell goes straight up to only one of the 2 bedrooms on the floor above. Eddie clearly sailed past the McC's car, nose in the air, trying to catch THE scent that was drifting up, up, upwards. His handler is interested in getting Eddie to show him where the scent is coming from, not where it has travelled to.... hence he needed to catch him and bring him back down to the ground level. And that is where we all saw what happened next.

But if there was a comforting couple, and the McC's kept quiet about them, then surely the McC's need re-questioning about why they didn't mention them in the first place.
Wintabells
Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryB Sun 23 Jun - 10:50

I was thinking about the implications of the CPS now seeming to be involved.  Now I cast my mind back a few years and remember a police report went to the Portuguese prosecutor and they decided not to prosecute.  So I suppose that must mean the prosecutor judges the evidence and decides if it's enough for a prosecution. In this case the prosecutor said it wasn't.  So if you put two and two together it would seem that the only reason for the CPS from the UK to get involved was to look at the evidence and decide if there was enough for a prosectution.
MaryB
MaryB
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1581
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sun 23 Jun - 11:45

If I recall correctly didnt one of the Leciester police over in Pdl say people in the UK had been prosecuted on less.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Sun 23 Jun - 14:18

tanszi wrote:If I recall correctly didnt one of the Leciester police over in Pdl say people in the UK had been prosecuted on less.

Yes, wasn't it 'call me Stu' Prior?
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sun 23 Jun - 14:55

hiya wjk, glad someone else remembered that it was said, I couldn't remember who said it.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Sun 23 Jun - 14:59

An ex PC friend of mine said way back when Brown was in LP headquarters that the CPS were known within the force as the 'Can't Prosecute Service'. Speaks volumes for the respect the CPS is held in by the PCs themselves.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sun 23 Jun - 15:04

gosh that made me laugh Guardian article about CPS visit 23324
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  maebee Sun 23 Jun - 23:00

The internet will be their un-doing. It has made information unstoppable. You only have to look at the panic the Americans are in right now over your man Snowden & Wikileaks. It just shows that anybody can break ranks or grow a conscience at any time - post something on the net and it's game over. That's why I really think that SY have decided it's endgame for the Mcs. They can't take the risk that one of the T9, Clarrie or any other of those in the know, won't fess up at some stage in the future. Justice is coming for MBM.
maebee
maebee
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 467
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  duncanmac Mon 24 Jun - 9:06

I can imagine it being like that scene from the Damned United, were Clough walks into the directors meeting, slams his coat on the table and shouts " You werent suppose to accept our resignations"

Gerry will say to Redmond " You werent meant to catch us " we wanted you to go with the abduction fairytale.
duncanmac
duncanmac
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 594
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Keela Mon 24 Jun - 13:40

malena stool wrote:An ex PC friend of mine said way back when Brown was in LP headquarters that the CPS were known within the force as the 'Can't Prosecute Service'. Speaks volumes for the respect the CPS is held in by the PCs themselves.

They are also known, in police circles, as the Criminal Protection Service.
Keela
Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2360
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next