Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rotherham sex abuse scandle

+5
kitti
fuzeta
katertaif
Lioned
chrissie
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 Empty Re: Rotherham sex abuse scandle

Post  fuzeta Sat 30 Aug - 17:36

It may not be in Portugal but here in the UK. They always put up the background and origin of someone involved in a serious crime.
fuzeta
fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4231
Warning :
Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Sat 30 Aug - 17:45

Claudia79 wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:The truth is that in the last months admin has had to delete more bigoted posts than in the last years. And I really dislike having to do it.

ETA: not to mention the amount of PMs with complains.

Are the PMs from just one or two people or are there a lot of people complaining?

Let's just say that never did I get so many complaints from different posters. I would say that given the amount of posters actively posting, it is significant and also one of the reasons why some posters chose to mostly read according to what I've been told. If this forum had been created by me, I'd certainly would be much more strict with some things, like I am in my personal pages. As it wasn't, it's sometimes a difficult balance between someone's opinions and another one's sensitivity. That said, since this forum is currently closed to new members and we are all adults and civilised people who have, for the most part, been here for quite some time, I see no reason whatsoever why admin would have to delete posts or warn posters to amend their posts. It really shouldn't be necessary and I hate doing it.

So, given that there are so few members posting, it would seem that a very small minority are accusing the other few of making racist posts or are, at the very least, being over-sensitive.

As for people mostly choosing to read, I have noticed that when those have been absent for a while choose to post again, they are not made to feel particularly welcome, sometimes being accused of coming back on here just to make trouble.

It's such a pity to see the forum in the state it's now in as it was always such a friendly place to post.

I do see that you are in a difficult, unpleasant situation but it feels at the moment like this is becoming a very undemocratic forum.
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :
Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sat 30 Aug - 17:47

fuzeta wrote:It may not be in Portugal but here in the UK. They always put up the background and origin of someone involved in a serious crime.

I mean crimes in general and reported in the world in general. In my experience, if you are white (and I'm white) your skin colour is much less likely to be mentioned than if you aren't.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  katertaif Sat 30 Aug - 17:49

fuzeta wrote:
wantthetruth wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:
Lioned wrote:Its child abuse,the ethnic dimension makes a good excuse for some,you cannot believe the whole community would condone this.

Couldn't agree more.

Me too.  This forum is getting more and more racist by the day.  

What an awful thing to say wantthetruth, If people telling it like it is is racist how can we have a discussion about anything.  It's a sort of invert racism that we are taken to task for saying things that are a fact.

This forum is a good forum and it is not right to call it racist.

When there is no argument, that is the common (and well overused) method of shutting someone up. The really sad truth being that often it is the other way around.
katertaif
katertaif
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1296
Warning :

Registration date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sat 30 Aug - 17:56

Angelina wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:The truth is that in the last months admin has had to delete more bigoted posts than in the last years. And I really dislike having to do it.

ETA: not to mention the amount of PMs with complains.

Are the PMs from just one or two people or are there a lot of people complaining?

Let's just say that never did I get so many complaints from different posters. I would say that given the amount of posters actively posting, it is significant and also one of the reasons why some posters chose to mostly read according to what I've been told. If this forum had been created by me, I'd certainly would be much more strict with some things, like I am in my personal pages. As it wasn't, it's sometimes a difficult balance between someone's opinions and another one's sensitivity. That said, since this forum is currently closed to new members and we are all adults and civilised people who have, for the most part, been here for quite some time, I see no reason whatsoever why admin would have to delete posts or warn posters to amend their posts. It really shouldn't be necessary and I hate doing it.

So, given that there are so few members posting, it would seem that a very small minority are accusing the other few of making racist posts or are, at the very least, being over-sensitive.

As for people mostly choosing to read, I have noticed that when those have been absent for a while choose to post again, they are not made to feel particularly welcome, sometimes being accused of coming back on here just to make trouble.

It's such a pity to see the forum in the state it's now in as it was always such a friendly place to post.

I do see that you are in a difficult, unpleasant situation but it feels at the moment like this is becoming a very undemocratic forum.

I find it very normal that not many people are posting as nothing is happening with the case and sadly I think nothing important will happen (re a conclusion). We may have some news about the court case soon but it doesn't affect Madeleine's fate, sadly.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Especially when some complain exactly about the contrary: that too much is allowed. As I said, difficult balance indeed. I'm a teacher so self control is what makes the difference between having a job or not and I'm quite used to have to deal with different sensitivities. On FB, Twitter or other social networks, things are different and easier. You simply block people whose posture you don't like and problem solved. Here and on other similar places it is much more an exercise of humility but that also means you learn more. And I appreciate that experience.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sat 30 Aug - 18:04

But there are also funny complaints. I once, a long time ago, got a PM with a complaint from a poster complaining about what some other poster had complained about. Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 294124

ETA: and one about someone's punctuation too!!!

Last edited by Claudia79 on Sat 30 Aug - 18:13; edited 1 time in total
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Sat 30 Aug - 18:12

Claudia79 wrote:But there are also funny complaints. I once, a long time ago, got a PM with a complaint from a poster complaining about what some other poster had complained about. Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 294124  

Well, I've felt like doing that myself a few times Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 25346 but I prefer not to resort to complaining if at all possible.

For what it's worth, it seems to me there are a couple of options:

1) Get rid of the news threads - but that would probably result in the forum just fading away because, as you so rightly say, there is unlikely ever to be any real news or conclusion about Madeleine.

2) Maybe those whose sensitivities are currently being offended should try to ignore/stay away from the current news discussions unless comments really become unacceptable and then, of course, action must be taken.

Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sat 30 Aug - 18:17

Angelina wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:But there are also funny complaints. I once, a long time ago, got a PM with a complaint from a poster complaining about what some other poster had complained about. Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 294124  

Well, I've felt like doing that myself a few times Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 25346  but I prefer not to resort to complaining if at all possible.

For what it's worth, it seems to me there are a couple of options:

1) Get rid of the news threads - but that would probably result in the forum just fading away because, as you so rightly say, there is unlikely ever to be any real news or conclusion about Madeleine.

2)  Maybe those whose sensitivities are currently being offended should try to ignore/stay away from the current news discussions unless comments really become unacceptable and then, of course, action must be taken.

No, Angelina, in the case I mentioned they were ridiculous reasons. It was a long time ago when there were a lot more posters and bickering happened quite often for the most ridiculous reasons, including spelling and punctuation! Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 294124
Some posters actually do stay away according to what I've been told. But it's not always easy and I understand it. When I wasn't admin and I didn't feel like I had to please all sides, my fuse was a lot shorter! Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 Icon_flower
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wantthetruth Sat 30 Aug - 19:13

katertaif wrote:
fuzeta wrote:
wantthetruth wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:
Lioned wrote:Its child abuse,the ethnic dimension makes a good excuse for some,you cannot believe the whole community would condone this.

Couldn't agree more.

What an awful thing to say wantthetruth, If people telling it like it is is racist how can we have a discussion about anything.  It's a sort of invert racism that we are taken to task for saying things that are a fact.

When there is no argument, that is the common (and well overused) method of shutting someone up. The really sad truth being that often it is the other way around.

Well now I'm just laughing  Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 294124 It's a good job I've got a sense of humour, other more sensitive people may take huge offense at that comment. Luckily I don't take anything you say seriously.

And I stand by what I said.  If others cannot recognise the anti-muslim/asian propaganda which is being spouted here on this forum lately, then more fool them.  Its the height of ignorance to tar an entire race with the same brush, no matter how knowledgable you 'claim' to be of their history and origins. A crime is a crime, and a criminal is a criminal.

Ironic, and actually quite sad, given how long we've all been vehemenlty against the anti-Portuguese sentiment (some would call it racism) in the UK press re the Madeleine case. I say 'we', meaning the people who joined this forum for Madeleine. You have heard of Madeleine, haven't you?  It's just that you've never once given your 'expert' opinion, or indeed one single comment, on her case.

I'm sure any outside reader could easily be forgiven for thinking you came here with a certain agenda, and that has nothing to do with helping Madeleine.
wantthetruth
wantthetruth
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 934
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  katertaif Sat 30 Aug - 22:00

wantthetruth wrote:
katertaif wrote:
fuzeta wrote:
wantthetruth wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Well now I'm just laughing  Rotherham sex abuse scandle - Page 2 294124 It's a good job I've got a sense of humour, other more sensitive people may take huge offense at that comment.  Luckily I don't take anything you say seriously.

And I stand by what I said.  If others cannot recognise the anti-muslim/asian propaganda which is being spouted here on this forum lately, then more fool them.  Its the height of ignorance to tar an entire race with the same brush, no matter how knowledgable you 'claim' to be of their history and origins.  A crime is a crime, and a criminal is a criminal.

Ironic, and actually quite sad, given how long we've all been vehemenlty against the anti-Portuguese sentiment (some would call it racism) in the UK press re the Madeleine case. I say 'we', meaning the people who joined this forum for Madeleine. You have heard of Madeleine, haven't you?  It's just that you've never once given your 'expert' opinion, or indeed one single comment, on her case.

I'm sure any outside reader could easily be forgiven for thinking you came here with a certain agenda, and that has nothing to do with helping Madeleine.

Quite right I have not given any opinion on the subject of that poor child, expert or other. I have read the threads of course and There is absolutely nothing I could usefully add. I have my own opinions all of which have been expressed by others going back over several years. I was not aware that the forum was for that and that alone. I do tend to stick to something I know about. Perhaps it would be more useful if others did the same.

That you don't take anything I say seriously is you're prerogative. I find the maxim that I may disagree with what you say, but will fight for you're right to say it a good one.

As for coming with an agenda, I was proposed by another poster in the usual way. I had no agenda and beyond telling it as I see it I still haven't.
katertaif
katertaif
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1296
Warning :

Registration date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Krisy22 Sat 30 Aug - 22:23

fuzeta wrote:It may not be in Portugal but here in the UK. They always put up the background and origin of someone involved in a serious crime.

Well said Fuzeta,   You only need to watch Crime Watch to see that.!
Krisy22
Krisy22
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3382
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sat 30 Aug - 23:46

I obviously didn't mean criminals who are wanted by the authorities and who require a description. I meant crimes reported in the press particularly in the cases where the offenders are already in custody.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 31 Aug - 8:38

Claudia79 wrote:I obviously didn't mean criminals who are wanted by the authorities and who require a description. I meant crimes reported in the press particularly in the cases where the offenders are already in custody.

Yeah, but that's the press for you. They are all a*holes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sun 31 Aug - 9:20

I know, let's not talk about any crime that mention...Asians, blacks and Europeans .

And I have watched a programme where the suspect is obviously non White but it wasn't mentioned...

If people think it is racist to mention that these perps were Asian, sorry, but it's a fact, they were and it's about time some people start to realise , even if they hadn't off mentioned it, it's quite obvious by their pictures, they were.

Stick your head in the sand or ignore it, don't care, but it's the children that need support now, those same children that got pregnant by these men and haven't seen their baby to this day.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Krisy22 Sun 31 Aug - 10:12

My thoughts exactly Kitti.

Sick to death of this Country tip toeing around the houses. I wouldn't mind if we felt safer for it but we don't... well I don't for sure.

Krisy22
Krisy22
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3382
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  wantthetruth Sun 31 Aug - 10:13

I think you're missing my point Kitti.

I'm not disputing the fact that the criminals in this abuse ring are Asian, any more than I would dispute the Hamas fires rockets on Isreal and Isreal drops bombs on Palestine.

The point I'm making is the general feeling of ani-Islam sentiment which has been building up on this forum for several months now.

Yes, we all have a view point and all have a right to voice, agree or disagree with another opinion.

What I object to is some severely racist comments which have been made recently.  One example ( of many)  saw a poster ranting about a Muslim woman in Boots who just happened to have picked up a large bag of prescription meds.  The clear implication being that Muslims are coming over to the UK and exploiting the NHS.  This is racism, pure and simple.  Shocking.  And if that's how it's going to be allowed to conitnue, then I can't be a part of the forum any more.

But what can I say, you've only got to turn on the news to see how the myth is being exploited anti Islamic feeling whipped up to another frenzy.  We've been here before.  Remember the WMD's, the last time we were led into war?  Oh no, there weren't actually any, where there.........?
wantthetruth
wantthetruth
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sun 31 Aug - 11:23

The ironic thing, wtt, is that people buy the more remote threat completely and seem obsessed with it yet there is a lunatic with nuclear weapons close by and making subtle or not so subtle threats about using them and yet women covering their heads seems to be a bigger worry.

Last edited by Claudia79 on Sun 31 Aug - 11:25; edited 1 time in total
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sun 31 Aug - 11:25

Iris wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:I obviously didn't mean criminals who are wanted by the authorities and who require a description. I meant crimes reported in the press particularly in the cases where the offenders are already in custody.

Yeah, but that's the press for you.  They are all a*holes.

They certainly are. Without a doubt. But those who buy everything they print are even bigger ones.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wantthetruth Sun 31 Aug - 11:45

Claudia79 wrote:The ironic thing, wtt, is that people buy the more remote threat completely and seem obsessed with it yet there is a lunatic with nuclear weapons close by and making subtle or not so subtle threats about using them and yet women covering their heads seems to be a bigger worry.

Because it's put forward in the media that we're all about to get our throats cut by teenage radicalists in robes.  It's all happened before.  People have very short memories.
Also, there are plenty of shills all over the web who pupport (quite convncingly) to be polymaths, yet clearly have one agenda only.  To 'educate' the lesser beings into believing the hype.

I can't say I blame many well inentioned people for being sucked in.  I just wish more people would open their eyes and look at the bigger picture...........For me, it's utterly transparent.
wantthetruth
wantthetruth
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fuzeta Sun 31 Aug - 11:54

So firstly we were called racist and now we are being called stupid!!
fuzeta
fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4231
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sun 31 Aug - 12:00

fuzeta wrote:So firstly we were called racist and now we are being called stupid!!

Why would you say that? Do you believe everything you read in the press when most of our discussions re the Madeleine case have been exactly about the incredible amount of crap that is printed?
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sun 31 Aug - 12:02

wantthetruth wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:The ironic thing, wtt, is that people buy the more remote threat completely and seem obsessed with it yet there is a lunatic with nuclear weapons close by and making subtle or not so subtle threats about using them and yet women covering their heads seems to be a bigger worry.

Because it's put forward in the media that we're all about to get our throats cut by teenage radicalists in robes.  It's all happened before.  People have very short memories.
Also, there are plenty of shills all over the web who pupport (quite convncingly) to be polymaths, yet clearly have one agenda only.  To 'educate' the lesser beings into believing the hype.

I can't say I blame many well inentioned people for being sucked in.  I just wish more people would open their eyes and look at the bigger picture...........For me, it's utterly transparent.

The bigger picture is always something difficult to 'achieve'. And the Madeleine case is a huge example. In fact, it's what brought us all (or almost all) here in the first place. The concept, of course, applies to almost everything in life.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sun 31 Aug - 12:19

Where I live there'd is a large population off travellers.

The crime is high but mostly petty BUT guess who gets the blame for it...yes....they do.

And people have no problem saying those damn gypsies...

The fact is, wherever there is a high population off one ethinic the chances are they would off been involved in the crime, statistically.

I have no problem with any culture, what I have a problem with is when recently, and she happened to be Muslim, she told me to do something as she felt Insulted and it wasn't right in front off her two children...what was it, two teenagers holding hands and canoodling, that is there culture not mine...I object to feeling guilty about something which doesn't upset me at all.

They were Asian who abused these children simple as that and as far as the papers are concerned, they had a duty to print these men's names, ages and faces and I'm quite sure if they had been White they would off done the same.

I'm not pussyfooting around know one, I blame them all, the police, social services, teachers and the abusers because this wouldn't off happened if the first three had taken action years ago...you will always get someone exploiting a situation, look at saville.

This country is the softest country in the world and unless you live or see things for yourself then people shouldn't accuse other people off being racist.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  wantthetruth Sun 31 Aug - 12:27

Claudia79 wrote:

The bigger picture is always something difficult to 'achieve'. And the Madeleine case is a huge example. In fact, it's what brought us all (or almost all) here in the first place. The concept, of course, applies to almost everything in life.

I totally agree with you, Claudia

There is so much media manipulation these days it's very, very hard to work out what's real and what isn't. Your post about Aysha King is another perfect example, as well as the McCann's of course.

I find is incredibly scary that history is yet again repeating itself, yet so many people don't seem to realise what's going on. And no, I'm not calling anybody on this forum 'stupid'. I have the utmost respect for almost everybody on here, who have been here for a very long time, and working towards a very good cause.

Forgive me if I'm suspicious of those who I believe are here for entirely different reasons. But I will NOT apologise for voicing my concerns about that.
wantthetruth
wantthetruth
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Sun 31 Aug - 13:00

wantthetruth wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:

I totally agree with you, Claudia

There is so much media manipulation these days it's very, very hard to work out what's real and what isn't.  Your post about Aysha King is another perfect example, as well as the McCann's of course.

I find is incredibly scary that history is yet again repeating itself, yet so many people don't seem to realise what's going on.  And no, I'm not calling anybody on this forum 'stupid'.  I have the utmost respect for almost everybody on here, who have been here for a very long time, and working towards a very good cause.

Forgive me if I'm suspicious of those who I believe are here for entirely different reasons.  But I will NOT apologise for voicing my concerns about that.

I feel or felt exactly the same. Currently I think I might need a break.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next