Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon

Go down

'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon Empty 'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon

Post  Guest Sat 14 Nov - 0:09

'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon
7:33pm UK, Friday November 13, 2009
Ian Collier, Sky News Online

A "significant" amount of water has been found on the Moon, according to Nasa.

Preliminary data from a Moon probe "indicates the mission successfully uncovered water in a permanently shadowed lunar crater," Nasa said.

"The discovery opens a new chapter in our understanding of the Moon," it added in a statement.

The data was found after Nasa sent two spacecraft crashing into the lunar surface last month in a dramatic experiment to probe for water.

One rocket slammed into the Cabeus crater, near the Moon's southern pole, at around 5,600mph.

It was followed four minutes later by a spacecraft equipped with cameras to record the impact.

'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon 15402600

"We are ecstatic," said Anthony Colaprete, project scientist and principal investigator for the LCROSS mission.

"Multiple lines of evidence show water was present in both the high angle vapor plume and the ejecta curtain created by the LCROSS Centaur impact.

"The concentration and distribution of water and other substances requires further analysis, but it is safe to say Cabeus holds water."

Scientists had previously theorized that, except for the possibility of ice at the bottom of craters, the moon was totally dry.

Finding water on Earth's natural satellite is a major breakthrough in space exploration.

"We're unlocking the mysteries of our nearest neighbour and, by extension, the solar system," said Michael Wargo, chief lunar scientist at Nasa headquarters in Washington

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I may be a little stupid here....but, is it really a good idea to 'smash' stuff into the moon?? I mean, really? It's a big bloody ball of rock hanging above my head and I'd rather they didn't go smashing it all around the place....

And they found water? Erm...I always kinda assumed there was water on the moon anyway. Doesn't it control the tides?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon Empty Re: 'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon

Post  Guest Sat 14 Nov - 12:20

My thoughts exactly Edds, surely there are better ways of exploring the moon than sending rockets hurtling at it 'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon 234512 Do these people know the consequences of doing stuff like this, it scares the life out of me 'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon 497573
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon Empty Re: 'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon

Post  Guest Mon 16 Nov - 22:22

Harvesmom wrote:My thoughts exactly Edds, surely there are better ways of exploring the moon than sending rockets hurtling at it 'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon 234512 Do these people know the consequences of doing stuff like this, it scares the life out of me 'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon 497573

What if a piece of moonrock hits me on the head HM? 'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon 29204
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfiefinn Mon 16 Nov - 22:36

eddie, you might be able to sue NASA if that happens 'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon 23324 It'll be their fault!
Alfiefinn
Alfiefinn
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1482
Warning :
'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100'Significant' Amount Of Water Found On Moon Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down