Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel

2 posters

Go down

EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel Empty EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel

Post  Angelique Fri 4 Mar - 16:11

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12648814

EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel

France successfully applied for lower fuel costs on Corsica
Continue reading the main story
Scottish Lib Dem conference

Scott seeks free bus travel cut
Lib Dems aim to boost MSP numbers
Conference or damage limitation?
Scottish Lib Dem front bench
The European Commission has received a request for lower fuel costs on UK islands, the BBC understands.

The UK government hopes to take 5p off a litre of fuel on the Northern and Western isles, Argyll and Clyde islands and the Isles of Scilly.

It could be autumn before the bid is processed and voted on by finance ministers, EC sources have said.

The Scottish Liberal Democrat conference in Perth was told the application had been made.

Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander said permission to introduce the discount for island communities had been sought from the EC.

He said: "Everyone in the country is feeling the pressure of high fuel prices.

"But these island communities are where the prices are highest and the pressure is huge on families and I'm delighted to be part of a government that is going to deliver that help to those hard-pressed island communities."

Under the Energy Tax Directive of the European Union - which the UK is signed up to - minimum rates for fuel duty are set down and each country must have a standardised rate within their borders.

UK ministers require permission to lower costs.

Sources in Brussels have told BBC 5 Live the application arrived from the Treasury on Thursday.

France applied for permission to lower the rate of duty it charges in Corsica, and this was granted.

I have highlighted in bold to emphasise that we need permission to change the fuel duty but it has also been stated previously in The Telegraph (though I can't find this article to back it up) that we also need permission from the EU to alter the fuel regulator.

This does only apply to UK Islands - I expect mainland UK will have to wait - or perhaps they won't let us have a reduction.

Now who still believes that we need 650 odd MP's to run our country!

Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :
EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel Empty Re: EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel

Post  Panda Sat 5 Mar - 10:32

The MEPs are paid ridiculous sumns for doing b***er all, have travel allowances, a great Pension after a few years and with all the Laws etc introduced
by the EC Britain has lost 75% of it"s Laws aand we may as well give up any pretence that the U.K. Government governs Britain, no point in having Elections and the Expense these incur.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel Empty Re: EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel

Post  Angelique Mon 7 Mar - 14:22

EC receives UK application for 5p off islanders' fuel 306321 Panda

I am soooo glad I am not the only one who thinks this - thank you for your reply.

In my opinion for MP's we should read - "suits in jobs - there for the salary".

Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down