Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four arrested over hospital 'abuse'

4 posters

Go down

Four arrested over hospital 'abuse' Empty Four arrested over hospital 'abuse'

Post  mara thon Wed 1 Jun - 10:52

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/four-arrested-over-hospital-abuse-023457589.html

..The operator of a residential hospital has apologised unreservedly and suspended a number of staff following allegations that carers routinely abused vulnerable adults with learning difficulties.

Police have also launched an investigation and arrested four people after undercover footage of the apparent misconduct at Winterbourne View, in Bristol, was recorded by investigators from BBC's Panorama programme.

The hospital's operator Castlebeck said it was "distressed" and "shocked" by the accusations that workers physically and verbally abused residents on a daily basis.

The secret recordings, filmed between February and March this year, appear to show carers punching and slapping vulnerable adults, dousing them in cold water, and pinning them to the ground with chairs.

Thirteen members of staff including two managers have been suspended and three men and one woman had been arrested by Avon and Somerset police, according to the BBC.

All patients have been moved to safety.

Clinical psychologist Andrew McDonnell said he was shocked by the footage and labelled some of the examples captured on film as "torture". He told the programme that basic techniques for dealing with patients with challenging behaviour were ignored.

After viewing one excerpt, he said: "This is not a jail...people are not here to be punished. This is a therapeutic environment. Where's the therapy in any of this? I would argue this is torture."

Company officials said they had not seen the footage ahead of the programme, but were made aware about its contents on May 12.

"Castlebeck immediately notified the police, Care Quality Commission (CQC), the local Safeguarding team, commissioners of the service, other relevant authorities, and the families of the patients named in the allegations," said a statement released by the firm. "Staff alleged to have behaved inappropriately were suspended and reported to the police, who are now investigating."
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :
Four arrested over hospital 'abuse' Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Four arrested over hospital 'abuse' Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Four arrested over hospital 'abuse' Empty Re: Four arrested over hospital 'abuse'

Post  Guest Wed 1 Jun - 10:55

I watched that Panorama last night. It was absolutely sickening. The perpetrators should be locked up, that Wayne was just a thug.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Four arrested over hospital 'abuse' Empty Re: Four arrested over hospital 'abuse'

Post  AnnaEsse Wed 1 Jun - 11:16

I didn't see that programme, but I wasn't surprised to hear what had been going on. I've worked in places like that. I think the problems, as far as I have seen anyway, arise in privately run establishments. Where a profit has to be made for owners, staff are paid as little as they can get away with and training is the absolute minimum to meet legal requirements. It's that old cliche: you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
Four arrested over hospital 'abuse' Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Four arrested over hospital 'abuse' Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Wed 1 Jun - 12:02

Couldn't watch anything like that as l'd be too angry and upset. I hope those responsible are hung out to dry and never work with vunerable people again.
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Wed 1 Jun - 12:43

Iris wrote:I watched that Panorama last night. It was absolutely sickening. The perpetrators should be locked up, that Wayne was just a thug.

I saw it too....absolutely horrifying. There was no attempt at helping any of the patients, seemed to be the same day in day out, just teasing/hurting them. Surely those are not qualified staff???

It's all down to money.
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down