Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

more store closures and job cuts ahead in uk?

+17
katertaif
fuzeta
kitti
Lioned
Panda
cherry1
Krisy22
Angelina
chrissie
Fern
wjk
mara thon
fred
Lillyofthevalley
Keela
gillyspot
RIORITA
21 posters

Page 9 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 23  Next

Go down

more store closures and job cuts ahead in uk? - Page 9 Empty Re: more store closures and job cuts ahead in uk?

Post  Guest Mon 26 Mar - 12:08

The Administrator's function is to get as much back as possible for the creditors, sometimes that means continuing to trade.

The Past Times shop here has completely gone, there is a sign in the window that the nearest one is in Glasgow,
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

more store closures and job cuts ahead in uk? - Page 9 Empty Re: more store closures and job cuts ahead in uk?

Post  Panda Mon 26 Mar - 17:14

Iv'e just posted on the EC thread that 58 Branches of Santander , the Spanish Bank , will close but said Staff will be re-located to other
Branches. I think it was only 3 or 4 years ago that Santander were given a Licence , nobody bothered to check their Balance Sheet apparently.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
more store closures and job cuts ahead in uk? - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100more store closures and job cuts ahead in uk? - Page 9 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 26 Mar - 17:23

Panda wrote:

Iv'e just posted on the EC thread that 58 Branches of Santander , the Spanish Bank , will close but said Staff will be re-located to other
Branches. I think it was only 3 or 4 years ago that Santander were given a Licence , nobody bothered to check their Balance Sheet apparently.

In my town, Santander owns the old Abbey and another building society, Cheltenham and Gloucester I think.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
more store closures and job cuts ahead in uk? - Page 9 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100more store closures and job cuts ahead in uk? - Page 9 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Mon 26 Mar - 17:29

Panda wrote:

I READ THAT IN GUARDIAN,IT SEEMS POSSIBLY 300+ BRANCHES ARE LOCATED WHERE THEY HAVE MORE THAN ONE BRANCH(IN MANY CASES LIKE MY TOWN TWO OR MORE BRANCHES,THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE OVER MY RBS BRANCH.)

SEPARATELY,I SEE ON SKY NEWS GAME ARE TO LOSE 200 BRANCHES(MY LOCAL BRANCH IS OPPOSITE HMV,WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE CLOSING AS WELL,I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT THEY WOULD PROFIT FROM GAME'S DEMISE)
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 26 Mar - 17:40

Badboy wrote:
Panda wrote:

I READ THAT IN GUARDIAN,IT SEEMS POSSIBLY 300+ BRANCHES ARE LOCATED WHERE THEY HAVE MORE THAN ONE BRANCH(IN MANY CASES LIKE MY TOWN TWO OR MORE BRANCHES,THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE OVER MY RBS BRANCH.)

SEPARATELY,I SEE ON SKY NEWS GAME ARE TO LOSE 200 BRANCHES(MY LOCAL BRANCH IS OPPOSITE HMV,WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE CLOSING AS WELL,I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT THEY WOULD PROFIT FROM GAME'S DEMISE)

Badboy, I would be very surprised if Santander were allowed to take over a Branch of RBS which is mostly owned by the Government, especiially with all these closures.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 26 Mar - 17:44

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

In my town, Santander owns the old Abbey and another building society, Cheltenham and Gloucester I think.

Yes AnnaEsse....they were allowed to buy Abbey National and were allowed to expand rapidly without a check on their Balance sheet or operating
profits from their Spanish Banks....look at the trouble Spain is in now. !!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 26 Mar - 17:48

Just announced... Game Group are to shed 277 Branches. All these shopping Malls built up over the last few years will be half empty soon. The High
street will be like a Ghost town and all because Consumerism was King.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Mon 26 Mar - 18:34

I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more such closures in the future... Thatcher's policies, continued and promoted by New Labour, of splitting up and privatising our public utilities, encouraging our manufacturing base to go abroad for cheap labour and turning us into a service industry based economy is finally coming home to roost.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Mon 26 Mar - 19:29

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

They also bought out the Bradford and Bingley BS too.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 26 Mar - 19:35

malena stool wrote:I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more such closures in the future... Thatcher's policies, continued and promoted by New Labour, of splitting up and privatising our public utilities, encouraging our manufacturing base to go abroad for cheap labour and turning us into a service industry based economy is finally coming home to roost.

Yes malena, it wasn't just Maggie Thatcher's fault, admittedly she should never have privatised Utilities. The big problem was workers forever going
on strike which is why we lost our Manudacturing base.Even now,. Unions hold the Country to ransom, the latest was the stirike by Tube drivers when the Shops were crying out for Customers on Boxing Day. Not Content with triple pay they wanted a day off in Lieu as well.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 26 Mar - 19:46

Badboy wrote:
Panda wrote:

In my town, Santander has two branches about 50 yards apart.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 26 Mar - 20:03

AnnaEsse wrote:
Badboy wrote:
Panda wrote:

I admit that online banking has affected Banks but where I live there are two Barclays Bank Branches within two Bus Stops which is ridiculous because
all along one Road, there is Nat West, Nationwaide BS, Principality BS, Lloyds Bank and I live about a 20 minutes walk or 10 minute Bus ride from Town where all these banks and BS are available.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Mon 26 Mar - 21:29

THERE ARE SAYING THAT THE BUSINESS RATE RISE THIS APRIL(S.6%?)WILL PUT INCREASED PRESSURE ON RETAILERS.
THIS MONTH RENT MIGHT PUT SOME RETAILERS OVER THE EDGE.
I HAVE READ THAT IN PLACES LIKE NORTHERN IRELAND,INDEPENDENT RETAILERS/FAMILY-OWNED BUSINESSES ARE IN MORE DANGER OF GOING UNDER.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Mon 26 Mar - 21:34

Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Badboy wrote:
Panda wrote:

I admit that online banking has affected Banks but where I live there are two Barclays Bank Branches within two Bus Stops which is ridiculous because
all along one Road, there is Nat West, Nationwaide BS, Principality BS, Lloyds Bank and I live about a 20 minutes walk or 10 minute Bus ride from Town where all these banks and BS are available.
IN MY TOWN THERE HAS ALWAYS BEEN 3 FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS ON THE WALK OPPOSITE THE LIBRARY
THERE ARE POSSIBLY 5 OR MORE ON HIGH STREET(RBS,LLOYDS/PREMIER/C&G ETC)
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Mon 26 Mar - 21:34

Panda wrote:
malena stool wrote:I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more such closures in the future... Thatcher's policies, continued and promoted by New Labour, of splitting up and privatising our public utilities, encouraging our manufacturing base to go abroad for cheap labour and turning us into a service industry based economy is finally coming home to roost.

Yes malena, it wasn't just Maggie Thatcher's fault, admittedly she should never have privatised Utilities. The big problem was workers forever going
on strike which is why we lost our Manudacturing base.Even now,. Unions hold the Country to ransom, the latest was the stirike by Tube drivers when the Shops were crying out for Customers on Boxing Day. Not Content with triple pay they wanted a day off in Lieu as well.
A little bit over the top with their demands I agree Panda, but I can sympathise, they see the bankers and the like taking home huge paychecks and bonuses for turning up at the office 5/7 for a couple of hours and do little more than fiddle the system. They on the other hand turn out 50/60 hours/week for a comparative pittance.
I've done it Panda, without the triple pay and days off in lieu, for over 20 odd years and worked almost every Christmas or New Year, night shifts as well and everything worked fine despite the VIPs who take the biggest cut of the budget being absent, often for a couple of weeks at a time.
If the systems of payment were fairer there would be no need for threats of strikes or work to rule.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Mon 26 Mar - 23:30

1 IN 7 PUBLIC SECTOR JOBS MAY/IS TO GO.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Fri 30 Mar - 15:30

CLINTON CARDS HAVE MADE A £3MILLION LOSS.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Sun 1 Apr - 23:21

Panda wrote:

Just announced... Game Group are to shed 277 Branches. All these shopping Malls built up over the last few years will be half empty soon. The High
street will be like a Ghost town and all because Consumerism was King.
OP CAPITA HAS BROUGHT GAME AND 3,000 JOBS ARE SAFE
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Wed 4 Apr - 21:52

THERE MAY BE 3,500 RETAIL AND WHOLESALE COMPANY CLOSURES THIS YEAR.
COMPANY CLOSURE MAY PEAK IN 2013/2015
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Tue 10 Apr - 23:01

25% of suppliers to retailers are having cash problems,buy your hovis,clover,britvic or tango while these brands exist.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 12 Apr - 7:34

Mothercare To Close Further 111 Stores

Struggling retailer Mothercare has announced it will close a further 111 stores over the next three years.

It is believed the move will result in over 700 job losses.

More follows...

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16207088

AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Thu 12 Apr - 14:33

British Airways are to take over BMI with job losses of 1200

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16207359

The takeover of bmi by British Airways is set to lead to up to 1,200 job losses, the airline has announced.
BA has begun a consultation with unions on proposals to integrate the bmi business into its operations at Heathrow Airport after the acquisition was given regulatory
approval from the European Commission last month.

BA said that without the acquisition, all 2,700 bmi jobs could have been lost.

The jobs facing the axe are at bmi's head office at Castle Donington in Derbyshire and at regional airports.

Jobs secured include 1,100 cabin crew, pilots and engineers at Heathrow and up to 400 passenger service roles at Heathrow's Terminal One.

Keith Williams, BA's chief executive, said: "bmi is heavily loss making and is not a viable business as it stands today.

"Our proposals would secure around 1,500 jobs that would otherwise have been lost.

"As we look to restructure the business and restore profitability, job losses are deeply regrettable but inevitable."

chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3288
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  mara thon Thu 12 Apr - 14:57

You might find this of interest:

An employers guide to public sector job cuts

http://www.personneltoday.com/employers-guides/public-sector-job-cuts/
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 12 Apr - 16:57

Britain is doing quite well in the Service sector and design and technology but these do not create many jobs. Small firms are expanding and crying out for engineers, but since the days of Firms taking on Apprentices are long gone, these firms cannot take on too many jobs. Sunderland is creating 1,000
jobs immediately and Nissan is bringing out a New Model in 2014 so the shortage of qualified Staff may mean the Car will be built in another Plant or
Country.

Why isn't this Government paying for Apprentices NOW instead of these youngsters hanging around doing nothing.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Thu 12 Apr - 17:04

Panda wrote:

Britain is doing quite well in the Service sector and design and technology but these do not create many jobs. Small firms are expanding and crying out for engineers, but since the days of Firms taking on Apprentices are long gone, these firms cannot take on too many jobs. Sunderland is creating 1,000
jobs immediately and Nissan is bringing out a New Model in 2014 so the shortage of qualified Staff may mean the Car will be built in another Plant or
Country.

Why isn't this Government paying for Apprentices NOW instead of these youngsters hanging around doing nothing.
MAYBE GOVERNMENT AND INDUSTRY SHOULD START AN APPRENTICE SCHEME CONCERNING ENGINEERING,SCIENCE AND COMPUTER SCIENCE.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16 ... 23  Next