Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is calpol a sedative!

+5
AnnaEsse
NoStone
margaret
gillyspot
kitti
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is calpol a sedative! Empty Is calpol a sedative!

Post  NoStone Sun 20 Nov - 12:09

No - strictly speaking it is not, its a liquid form of paracetamol.

However, some friends of mine had a son with aspergers. Sleeping was a nightmare, he simply would'nt. Night after night he never tired. At the end of their tethers their GP recommended a safe way (quick release) method of closing him in his room at night (otherwise he would be wondering around unattended) and to give him calpol. What doesage was recomended I do not know but it worked. A couple of times a week the parents would get some rest by giving calpol. I witnessed this happening going round for dinner the little boy before he went to bed and slept through after calpol.

Paracetamol is not a sedative and therefore should not be used in that respect. Small babies and toddlers seem to settle better at night when given Paracetamol, but this is not a direct effect from the drug. It is very likely that this is due to the toxic effect it creates inside the body, in a similar way as alcohol seems to help people to go to sleep.

http://freespace.virgin.net/ahcare.qua/literature/medical/paracetamol.html Is calpol a sedative! 857143
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Number of posts : 620
Warning :
Is calpol a sedative! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Is calpol a sedative! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Is calpol a sedative! Empty Re: Is calpol a sedative!

Post  Loveday Sun 20 Nov - 14:18

I know someone who used to give her little boy Calpol every night. I assume because it somehow settled him. I was astounded because even if it's a safe dose the liver has to break down paracetamol and it's not good for them.

I wouldn't say I notice much, if any, sedative effects on my two when I give them it.
Loveday
Loveday
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 300
Warning :
Is calpol a sedative! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Is calpol a sedative! Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Sun 20 Nov - 14:24

No it's not a sedative but probably has that effect on some children. Medised was the one l used to hear had a sedative effect, it's not allowed to be given to children under the age of 6 now.
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sun 20 Nov - 14:35

We don't know that it was calpol that was administered .....it could off been something that was prescribed for someone else who had sleeping problems .......an adult.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Sun 20 Nov - 15:20

Did anyone question the people who worked at the Baptista supermarket. Perhaps Gerry & Kate bought more than New Zealand White Wine. I do think as there was no DNA that someone should also ask the staff if anyone bought bleach and cloths from there.
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 813
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Sun 20 Nov - 15:38

By the way nostone I love your avatar. Enough to give kids nightmares for years. Aghhh
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 813
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ann_chovey Sun 20 Nov - 16:12

kitti wrote:We don't know that it was calpol that was administered .....it could off been something that was prescribed for someone else who had sleeping problems .......an adult.

The McCs wouldn't go for Calpol in large quantities i.m.o. too haphazard. Now a quarter of a tab. of an adult sedative is a different kettle of fish. they wouldn't necessarily have to be on prescription, medical reps dole them out as samples.
ann_chovey
ann_chovey
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2529
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Sun 20 Nov - 16:43

ann_chovey wrote:
kitti wrote:We don't know that it was calpol that was administered .....it could off been something that was prescribed for someone else who had sleeping problems .......an adult.

The McCs wouldn't go for Calpol in large quantities i.m.o. too haphazard. Now a quarter of a tab. of an adult sedative is a different kettle of fish. they wouldn't necessarily have to be on prescription, medical reps dole them out as samples.

Didn't Gerry have the antihistamine Terfenadine with him?
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Sun 20 Nov - 16:45

ann_chovey wrote:

Not sure about that, even thought they're medically trained IMO that would be such a risk.

margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  ann_chovey Sun 20 Nov - 17:19

margaret wrote:
ann_chovey wrote:

Not sure about that, even thought they're medically trained IMO that would be such a risk.

Well, they weren't expecting anything to happen were they, probably done it before, and if it had (well it did) they'd say she found it on the floor in the creche/previous occupant left one in a drawer. I remember one of Pearl Lowe's kids ingested a tablet of something or other. It makes me think one reason why the body had to be disposed of is incriminating marks of some sort.
ann_chovey
ann_chovey
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Is calpol a sedative! Empty Ghastly pictures

Post  Guest Sun 20 Nov - 17:46

gillyspot wrote:By the way nostone I love your avatar. Enough to give kids nightmares for years. Aghhh

Yours is no oil painting either Gillyspot! It reminds me of the warning from my mother many moons ago not to pull silly faces or squint (which she particularly hated) because the wind might change and I'd be left looking like that forever!!

Actually that is more believable than some of the things that Kate has come out with.

Is calpol a sedative! 294124
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Sun 20 Nov - 18:24

gillyspot wrote:Did anyone question the people who worked at the Baptista supermarket. Perhaps Gerry & Kate bought more than New Zealand White Wine. I do think as there was no DNA that someone should also ask the staff if anyone bought bleach and cloths from there.

If you mean Calpol, I seem to remember a Pt poster said you can't buy that sort of thing over the counter in Pt...has to be on prescription. Anyone know???
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  ann_chovey Sun 20 Nov - 18:34

AnnaEsse wrote:
ann_chovey wrote:

Didn't Gerry have the antihistamine Terfenadine with him?

Yes, and Losec for indigestion/heartburn.
ann_chovey
ann_chovey
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Sun 20 Nov - 19:34

gillyspot wrote:By the way nostone I love your avatar. Enough to give kids nightmares for years. Aghhh

Thank you gillyspot!! - Our two avatars look fantasitic side by side !!! Is calpol a sedative! 424743
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  ann_chovey Sun 20 Nov - 19:54

the scowling one is looking down on the face pulling one with disdain...... Is calpol a sedative! 294124

Is calpol a sedative! 3015-97

Is calpol a sedative! 3039-10
ann_chovey
ann_chovey
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Sun 20 Nov - 19:58

ann_chovey wrote:the scowling one is looking down on the face pulling one with disdain...... Is calpol a sedative! 294124

Is calpol a sedative! 3015-97

Is calpol a sedative! 3039-10

Thank you Ann!! xx Is calpol a sedative! 23324
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Sun 20 Nov - 20:07

Angelina wrote:
gillyspot wrote:Did anyone question the people who worked at the Baptista supermarket. Perhaps Gerry & Kate bought more than New Zealand White Wine. I do think as there was no DNA that someone should also ask the staff if anyone bought bleach and cloths from there.

If you mean Calpol, I seem to remember a Pt poster said you can't buy that sort of thing over the counter in Pt...has to be on prescription. Anyone know???

Maybe you cannot buy it over the counter in Portugal Angelina - but you can buy it by the gallon over here, Boots, Tesco's, Lloyds, etc and its not something that customs in Portugal are really sensitive too - so between them the Mc's could have taken in enough in with them to get all 3 'kids' through the week without too much trouble - its paracetemol fgs! - but it does have a seditve effect on young children! Is calpol a sedative! 857143
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Loveday Sun 20 Nov - 21:56

It doesn't on mine.
Loveday
Loveday
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Sun 20 Nov - 22:02

Loveday wrote:It doesn't on mine.

No! How old are your kids and how much have you given them!!!!
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Sun 20 Nov - 22:44

NoStone wrote:
Angelina wrote:

Maybe you cannot buy it over the counter in Portugal Angelina - but you can buy it by the gallon over here, Boots, Tesco's, Lloyds, etc and its not something that customs in Portugal are really sensitive too - so between them the Mc's could have taken in enough in with them to get all 3 'kids' through the week without too much trouble - its paracetemol fgs! - but it does have a seditve effect on young children! Is calpol a sedative! 857143

I'm sure they could have taken plenty in....looking back on some of my holidays I realise I've taken in which perhaps I shouldn't have - stuff which is quite ordinary in the UK but not elsewhere.

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between over the counter and Tescos. Aren't they one and the same?
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Sun 20 Nov - 22:57

Angelina wrote:
NoStone wrote:
Angelina wrote:

I'm sure they could have taken plenty in....looking back on some of my holidays I realise I've taken in which perhaps I shouldn't have - stuff which is quite ordinary in the UK but not elsewhere.

I'm not quite sure what the difference is between over the counter and Tescos. Aren't they one and the same?

In supermarkets, some things are on the shelf, such as paracetamol, aspirin, some antihistamines, cough medicines that are non-drowsy. Other things, such as antihistamines and cough meds that cause drowsiness, can be bought without a prescription, but you have to ask at the pharmacy counter. Those and the ones on the open shelves could all be referred to as over-the-counter because none requires a prescription, but the make-you-drowsy ones, like original Benylin have to come with questions like, "Have you taken this before?" "What other medications are you taking?"
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ann_chovey Mon 21 Nov - 8:26

ann_chovey
ann_chovey
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Mon 21 Nov - 9:02

AnnaEsse wrote:
Angelina wrote:
NoStone wrote:
Angelina wrote:

In supermarkets, some things are on the shelf, such as paracetamol, aspirin, some antihistamines, cough medicines that are non-drowsy. Other things, such as antihistamines and cough meds that cause drowsiness, can be bought without a prescription, but you have to ask at the pharmacy counter. Those and the ones on the open shelves could all be referred to as over-the-counter because none requires a prescription, but the make-you-drowsy ones, like original Benylin have to come with questions like, "Have you taken this before?" "What other medications are you taking?"

Thanks Anna. The thing is was it available when the McCanns were there or did that happen later?
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Loveday Tue 22 Nov - 10:24

NoStone wrote:

What's with the exclamation marks? I'm only stating the fact of my experience. My children are four and two. They've been having Calpol when needed since they were babies. I give them the recommended dose of course. The recommended safe doses do not sedate them. You didn't specify that you meant overdoses will sedate children. Calpol, used properly, does not sedate mine and never has.
Loveday
Loveday
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Tue 22 Nov - 15:07

Loveday wrote:
NoStone wrote:

What's with the exclamation marks? I'm only stating the fact of my experience. My children are four and two. They've been having Calpol when needed since they were babies. I give them the recommended dose of course. The recommended safe doses do not sedate them. You didn't specify that you meant overdoses will sedate children. Calpol, used properly, does not sedate mine and never has.

Which is just the same as adults with hayfever treatments, some get drowsy and others are unaffected. We all react differently to things.
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next