Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey

4 posters

Go down

No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey Empty No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey

Post  Keela Thu 1 Mar - 13:03

Just this last week I have read in the paper that the unemployed are to get a 5.2% rise in their benefits so that they can afford the rising cost of food etc and that they are also going to be able to buy stamps at the price they were in 2011 whilst the rest of the country will be forced to pay the higher inflated increase which is in the pipeline. Do the government think that it is only those on benefits who are struggling to pay their way? What about all the folk who haven't had a pay rise for the last 2 or 3 years ( some longer), what about the pensioners who have to find the extra cash but are on fixed incomes and have seen their savings eradicated with the paltry low interest rates on savings. It is high time that the government woke up and smelled the coffee. EVERYONE is struggling to pay for things, everyone except the politicians that is.
Keela
Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2360
Warning :
No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey Empty Re: No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey

Post  Panda Fri 2 Mar - 17:07

Keela wrote:Just this last week I have read in the paper that the unemployed are to get a 5.2% rise in their benefits so that they can afford the rising cost of food etc and that they are also going to be able to buy stamps at the price they were in 2011 whilst the rest of the country will be forced to pay the higher inflated increase which is in the pipeline. Do the government think that it is only those on benefits who are struggling to pay their way? What about all the folk who haven't had a pay rise for the last 2 or 3 years ( some longer), what about the pensioners who have to find the extra cash but are on fixed incomes and have seen their savings eradicated with the paltry low interest rates on savings. It is high time that the government woke up and smelled the coffee. EVERYONE is struggling to pay for things, everyone except the politicians that is.

Hi Keela, the Pensioners do not do so badly these days. They get a free bus Pass at 60 years of age, a rise in their Pension every Year, a winter fuel Allowance and "Care in the Home" provides assistance for those who can"t get about. If for example you can"t climb the Stairs they will provide chair
lifts, change your Bathroom into a Shower room etc. I agree people are finding it hard to manage , but the jobs just aren"t there although I do think those young people receiving unemployment Benefit should do Community Work.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey Empty Re: No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey

Post  Lillyofthevalley Fri 2 Mar - 17:09

keela this could only happen in the UK No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey 25346
Lillyofthevalley
Lillyofthevalley
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1552
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Fri 2 Mar - 17:33

Panda wrote:
Keela wrote:Just this last week I have read in the paper that the unemployed are to get a 5.2% rise in their benefits so that they can afford the rising cost of food etc and that they are also going to be able to buy stamps at the price they were in 2011 whilst the rest of the country will be forced to pay the higher inflated increase which is in the pipeline. Do the government think that it is only those on benefits who are struggling to pay their way? What about all the folk who haven't had a pay rise for the last 2 or 3 years ( some longer), what about the pensioners who have to find the extra cash but are on fixed incomes and have seen their savings eradicated with the paltry low interest rates on savings. It is high time that the government woke up and smelled the coffee. EVERYONE is struggling to pay for things, everyone except the politicians that is.

Hi Keela, the Pensioners do not do so badly these days. They get a free bus Pass at 60 years of age, a rise in their Pension every Year, a winter fuel Allowance and "Care in the Home" provides assistance for those who can"t get about. If for example you can"t climb the Stairs they will provide chair
lifts, change your Bathroom into a Shower room etc. I agree people are finding it hard to manage , but the jobs just aren"t there although I do think those young people receiving unemployment Benefit should do Community Work.

I don't think everyone gets a free bus pass, depends on where you live. My MIL used to get half price on buses in the Midlands. Also there is talk of taking away the passes completely.

Winter Heating allowance was cut last year.

Care in the home...was reading recently about a pensioner who was on the toilet and couldn't get off, but the care assistant kindly made her a sandwich and left. Not much bloody good when you're stuck to the loo!

After all the hoo ha this week about people on benefits having to work for them I can't see anyone agreeing to do community work, although I don't see any reason why they shouldn't. Would benefit everyone really.
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Fri 2 Mar - 18:13

Care in the home...was reading recently about a pensioner who was on the toilet and couldn't get off, but the care assistant kindly made her a sandwich and left. Not much bloody good when you're stuck to the loo! No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey 23324

Angelina, the care in the Home is not the same thing. One is an Agency which will visit your Home and as I say, arrange a chair lift , shower room,
etc if you can't cope. Don't talk to me about Carers!!1 When I came out of Hospital after 3 weeks , I really was very weak, not having eaten much during that time and having a District Nurse every day to change the dressing. The Hospital said they would arrange a Carer and a "Carer" arrived
within a couple of days. I aske if she would Hoover the Lounge to freshen the place up but she said she could do a bit of shopping and make me a
sandwich but that was all. I told her not to bother, I could manage to make a sandwich and my neighbours would help with shopping. She didn't know what to do and asked if I would phone the Agency to explain why I had told her not to come back, I said it was her jpb to tell the Agency.

Angelina, If I was a Carer I would be much more considerate than she was and was hoovering one room such a chore???

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Fri 2 Mar - 18:19

Panda wrote:

Care in the home...was reading recently about a pensioner who was on the toilet and couldn't get off, but the care assistant kindly made her a sandwich and left. Not much bloody good when you're stuck to the loo! No Wonder The Uk is seen as the land of Milk and honey 23324

Angelina, the care in the Home is not the same thing. One is an Agency which will visit your Home and as I say, arrange a chair lift , shower room,
etc if you can't cope. Don't talk to me about Carers!!1 When I came out of Hospital after 3 weeks , I really was very weak, not having eaten much during that time and having a District Nurse every day to change the dressing. The Hospital said they would arrange a Carer and a "Carer" arrived
within a couple of days. I aske if she would Hoover the Lounge to freshen the place up but she said she could do a bit of shopping and make me a
sandwich but that was all. I told her not to bother, I could manage to make a sandwich and my neighbours would help with shopping. She didn't know what to do and asked if I would phone the Agency to explain why I had told her not to come back, I said it was her jpb to tell the Agency.

Angelina, If I was a Carer I would be much more considerate than she was and was hoovering one room such a chore???

I bet it's not an easy task to get a stairlift or a bathroom revamp out of the govt. Probably too difficult for anyone who is ill or disabled unless they have someone who can help.

My sister had a care for my BIL. She was brilliant, if she had a few minutes left after helping him with washing she would always ask if there was anything else she could do. I think quite a lot of them would like to help more but their time is limited. Guess it's luck of the draw as to how good they are.
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Keela Tue 6 Mar - 15:33

Panda wrote:

Who is telling you that they don't do badly. do you know any pensioners? They are losing out with any interest on savings, seeing things increase in price hand over fist but their increase in their pensions is paltry. A lot of councils are thinking of, if they haven't already done so, abolishing the free bus pass. The winter fuel allowance has just been cut despite the cost of heating homes escalating. Stair lifts are not provided, my parents have just had to buy their own despite my father being registered as disabled. They had to pay for modifications in their bathroom as they didn't qualify for a grant. My mother is partially sighted but cannot get free chiropody care, she has to pay. It seems that the people who have paid into the Government's fund are the people who get the least out of it. Pensioners get a raw deal with many having to make the choice between eating and keeping warm. If they were immigrants they would get everything going.
Keela
Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2360
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down