Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George Clooney Arrested,

2 posters

Go down

George Clooney Arrested, Empty George Clooney Arrested,

Post  Panda Fri 16 Mar - 16:58

Breaking News......George Clooney arrested outside Sudanese Embassy, will try to fiind out more.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
George Clooney Arrested, Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100George Clooney Arrested, Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

George Clooney Arrested, Empty Re: George Clooney Arrested,

Post  Panda Fri 16 Mar - 17:02

George Clooney Arrested At Sudan Protest
44 Comments
George Clooney was arrested for protesting the actions of Sudan's president, Omar al Bashir
4:48pm UK, Friday March 16, 2012

Police have arrested George Clooney during a protest outside the Sudanese embassy in Washington DC.
The actor, who is president of United to End Genocide, was arrested and handcuffed along with several Democrat politicians and other human rights and faith leaders for civil disobedience.

The campaigners were protesting the humanitarian emergency that is reportedly threatening the lives of 500,000 people.

After speaking on the steps of the embassy to hundreds of activists, members of Congress and activist leaders were warned by police to leave the scene. When they refused, police arrested them.

Clooney, his father, Nick - a well known radio broadcaster in the US - and others, including Democratic politician Jim Moran of Virginia and civil rights leader Ben Jealous, were held after being warned three times not to cross a police line outside the embassy.

Their hands were tied with plastic cables and they were put into a US Secret Service van.

Asked about his arrest as he was led away, Clooney told a reporter: "It is pretty humiliating, quite actually."

"He feels good about the arrest. It was expected," said Sky News US correspondent Greg Milam. "It was what they would have wanted to happen."

"He clearly feels this is the way to get the message out there."

"He may think Sudan doesn't get enough attention and, being George Clooney, he knows how to get it."

Clooney said earlier that he hoped to draw more attention to the issue and that if action is not taken in the next three to four months "we're going to have a real humanitarian disaster."

"We need humanitarian aid to be allowed into the Sudan before it becomes the worst humanitarian crisis in the world - immediately," Clooney said to cheering supporters shortly before his arrest.

"The second thing we are here to ask is a very simple thing - it's for the government in Khartoum to stop randomly killing its own innocent men, women and children," continued the 50-year-old star of The Descendants.

"Stop raping them, and stop starving them. That's all we ask."

The protesters were demanding that Sudan's President Omar al Bashir immediately end the blockade that they said is preventing food and humanitarian aid from reaching the people of Sudan's Nuba Mountains and Blue Nile regions.

They added that Bashir's forces had created the dire food shortage in the region by bombing fields and preventing villagers from planting crops in July and August last year.

John Prendergast, co-founder of the campaign group Enough Project, said: "George Clooney and I just returned from the Nuba Mountains, where the Sudan government regularly bombs civilians and blocks humanitarian aid to the war-torn regions along the border with South Sudan.

"It is urgent that the Khartoum government allow aid access."

"We are protesting to make sure the Sudanese government knows that the world is watching," said congressman Jim McGovern, who is also believed to have been arrested.

"The United States Congress is watching. And we will be back again and again until they stop using food as a weapon; stop slaughtering innocent men, women and children; and stop spitting in the face of the world community."

More to follow...

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
George Clooney Arrested, Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100George Clooney Arrested, Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Fri 16 Mar - 19:53

He's been freed now. I have to say George Clooney in handcuffs was an exciting image.... George Clooney Arrested, 25346
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 16 Mar - 22:43

If he'd needed to raise bail, I think he'd had have lots of offers of help!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Fri 16 Mar - 22:50

Not Born Yesterday wrote:If he'd needed to raise bail, I think he'd had have lots of offers of help!

I'd bail him out any time George Clooney Arrested, 23324

To be honest, I can't make up my mind about him....he is not married, never read anything about him , is bl***y gorgeous , do you think he is AC/DC?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 16 Mar - 22:59

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Clooney

You'll see that he was married once and has been linked with various women though of course he wouldn't be the first star to hide his true sexuality; why anyone needs to do that nowadays I don't know though.

I remember when someone was described as a "confirmed bachelor" it meant only one thing though I was too young to know about that at the time!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Fri 16 Mar - 23:17

Not Born Yesterday wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Clooney

You'll see that he was married once and has been linked with various women though of course he wouldn't be the first star to hide his true sexuality; why anyone needs to do that nowadays I don't know though.

I remember when someone was described as a "confirmed bachelor" it meant only one thing though I was too young to know about that at the time!

Hi NSU.....I read that he has a villa in Italy and is well thought of by the locals . Of course , he doesn't HAVE to get married and could have his pick of
Women, but he leads such a private life and I remember I was shocked when Rock Hudson had Aids.

Thanks for the link, he has had a few relationships but obviously none that have lasted .he apparently vowed he would never marry again when his first
marriage broke up after 5 years.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 16 Mar - 23:57

PLEASE STOP posting stories about George Clooney in handcuffs.

I have to go lie down in a darkened room now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 16 Mar - 23:58

Please note from my location that I have got to the darkened room first!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 17 Mar - 0:03

George Clooney has spoken after his arrest outside the Sudanese embassy in Washington DC, saying he wants to bring attention to an "immediate danger".
The actor, who is president of United to End Genocide, had earlier been handcuffed along with his father, Nick, and several Democrat politicians and human rights and faith leaders for civil disobedience.

They were protesting against the humanitarian emergency that is reportedly threatening the lives of 500,000 people in the war-torn African country.

George Clooney smiles as his hands are tied with a plastic cable by an officer

Clooney was released on bail after paying a $100 (£76) fine.

Speaking after his release, Clooney said he hoped his celebrity helped raise awareness of the crisis.

He said: "We are trying to bring attention to an ongoing emergency.

"Our job right now is to bring attention to it. One of those ways was apparently getting arrested.

"You never know if you are accomplishing anything. We hope that this brings attention to it.

"We hope that people understand that there really is a ticking clock on this and we really need to get moving.

"Best estimate are tens of thousands of people are going to die from starvation that is man-made.

"This isn't a famine, this is a man-made tragedy by the government of Khartoum to get these people to leave."

Clooney, a longtime activist for human rights in Sudan, was in South Kordofan a few days ago, where he said he saw hundreds of people fleeing in terror to the hills and into caves to escape the constant buzzing of planes dropping bombs meant for insurgents but which frequently kill and maim civilians.

He warned that roads in the region would soon be impossible to pass once the rainy season begins in six weeks - and where aid groups say at least 250,000 people are at risk of imminent food shortages.

Clooney Puts Sudan At Top Of News Agenda
The conflict has severely impeded agriculture in the mountainous region, leading to fears of hunger.

Asked about his time in police custody by journalists, the 50-year-old Hollywood star said: "It was really rough."

He said it was his first
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down