Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cigarettes banned from open display

4 posters

Go down

Cigarettes banned from open display Empty Cigarettes banned from open display

Post  Guest Sat 7 Apr - 9:27

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news/shops_banned_from_displaying_cigarettes

I feel that, as with a lot of other things, the attitudes towards smoking have gone from one extreme to another and this latest measure is very petty.

I remember that when I was a child smoking was allowed virtually everywhere, including by visitors and patients in hospital, and it really was a nightmare if you hated the fumes and the stench.

As a life-time non-smoker I'm thankful that smoking is now restricted in public places but I would be happy for indoor smoking areas to be allowed as they used to be until recently.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Cigarettes banned from open display Empty Re: Cigarettes banned from open display

Post  Panda Sat 7 Apr - 10:26

There was a discussion about this on T.V. and it was agreed that it will not be a deterrent if the cigarettes are not on display. As one wit remarked,
"you don't point at Cigarettes, you ask". Cigarettes banned from open display 23324

I gave up smoking 7 yrs ago next month and have had chest problems every winter since and end up having Amoxicillin and Predistolone (something
like that, Steroids.) Having said that , the money saved pays for 2 Holidays abroad every Year fresh smelling rooms and I certainly wouldn't start
smoking again.

Last edited by Panda on Sat 7 Apr - 10:34; edited 1 time in total
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Cigarettes banned from open display Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cigarettes banned from open display Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Cigarettes banned from open display Empty Re: Cigarettes banned from open display

Post  Guest Sat 7 Apr - 10:31

It was a deterrent in one way for me. I was in Tesco to get cigarettes for someone else before I'd heard of the display ban. I saw the shutters covering the shelves so I assumed that the kiosk was closed and went away!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  mara thon Sat 7 Apr - 10:49

There was a report here a couple of weeks ago stating that since the smoking ban in Spain came into effect more people than ever were smoking. Having watched the TV series "The Big Body Squad" I'm wondering why they don't ban eating. According to a statement made on that programme obesity related illness costs the NHS 1 million pounds a minute. The ambulances required to take these people to hospital appointments cost over 400 thousand pounds to be specially made, each trip costs 800 pounds. Houses are fitted with special heavy weight lifts, special heavy weight hoists, teams of carers required to take care of these people, one lady was even moved to a new house specially fitted out for her. I don't have any gripe with anyone needing special equipment and care if it's a true medical problem but apart from two people featured in this programme the problems were quite simply down to overeating. What I found amazing was that although some of these people were so grossly obese they couldn't get out of bed they still seemed to be living on takeaways, so who is feeding them? This of course was not mentioned in the programmes.

Perhaps the next batty idea in UK will be to hide all fast food restaurants and maybe all the ready meals. cakes, etc in supermarkets will be hidden behind lock and key ! Oh and perhaps this will apply to all baking ingredients too, can't have you baking cakes and pies at home, perish the thought Cigarettes banned from open display 294124
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :
Cigarettes banned from open display Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cigarettes banned from open display Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 7 Apr - 11:04

Hi marathon, obesity is the scourge of America, Britain, and now it seems Spain, despite all the healthy foods available.. I put on a lot of weight when I gave up , sweets and chocolate the main culprit, and it's hard to diet when you havn't got the necessary determination. LOL.

A cigarette does act as a sedative in times of stress but obesity does cause a lot of complaints, not least, a strain on the Heart, so of the two smoking is less dangerous.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Sat 7 Apr - 11:33

mara thon wrote:There was a report here a couple of weeks ago stating that since the smoking ban in Spain came into effect more people than ever were smoking. Having watched the TV series "The Big Body Squad" I'm wondering why they don't ban eating. According to a statement made on that programme obesity related illness costs the NHS 1 million pounds a minute. The ambulances required to take these people to hospital appointments cost over 400 thousand pounds to be specially made, each trip costs 800 pounds. Houses are fitted with special heavy weight lifts, special heavy weight hoists, teams of carers required to take care of these people, one lady was even moved to a new house specially fitted out for her. I don't have any gripe with anyone needing special equipment and care if it's a true medical problem but apart from two people featured in this programme the problems were quite simply down to overeating. What I found amazing was that although some of these people were so grossly obese they couldn't get out of bed they still seemed to be living on takeaways, so who is feeding them? This of course was not mentioned in the programmes.

Perhaps the next batty idea in UK will be to hide all fast food restaurants and maybe all the ready meals. cakes, etc in supermarkets will be hidden behind lock and key ! Oh and perhaps this will apply to all baking ingredients too, can't have you baking cakes and pies at home, perish the thought Cigarettes banned from open display 294124
BIG BODY SQUAD
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Cigarettes banned from open display Empty Big Body Squad

Post  Guest Sat 7 Apr - 12:50

Ye gods, what an eye opener is Big Body Squad. Here's the most recent episode.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/big-body-squad/episodes/episode-6-331

I do pity these people even though the majority of them can only blame themselves; getting back to a reasonable weight after you have become totally immobile is virtually impossible.

I am overweight but it does not stop me from doing whatever I want or need to do. The thought of getting like that feels me with horror!

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Sat 7 Apr - 13:07

THEY WERE SAYING IN AN MAGAZINE ARTICLE,METHINKS IT WAS,THAT IT IS HARD TO LOSE WEIGHT TO SOME DEGREE BECAUSE METABOLISM SLOWS DOWN,SAY I WANTED TO LOSE 100 STONE OR IS IT LBS? A WEEK,THE SLOWING DOWN OF METABOLISM MEANS YOU LOSE LESS AND LESS WEIGHT AFTER A WHILE.
THIS DISSPIRIT PEOPLE AFTER A WHILE.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 7 Apr - 13:19

I remember watching a Documentary about how some men are attracted to Obese Woman. This young woman in the U.S. put an ad in the local
Dating paper because she was unloved. An intelligent Guy answered and they formed a relationship and married. Her weight spiralled with his blessing
and indulgence and she became pregnant and had a Daughter. In the end her weight got so out of control that her husband built a hoist on a pulley
from her bed to the bathroom, bathed and changed her until eventually lshe weighed 37 stone.!!!!

Doctors told her she would soon die if she didn't do something and thinking that she wanted to see her Daughter grow up she consented to drastic
surgery which worked and then with careful dieting she lost 25 stone. Her Husband didn't want to know her anymore.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mara thon Sat 7 Apr - 16:15

I think there is a big difference between being overweight and being grossly obese. What I couldn't understand re Big Body Squad, and still don't understand, is why, when these people all had severe medical problems related to their weight, they seemed to be living on takeaways. They were not fetching these themselves, they couldn't get to the door to delivery people, so who gives them all that food?

I also think perhaps the programme was not quite honest because they said that one man, 45 stone I think, relied solely on his carer and never saw anyone. However in one episode when the ambulance people arrived, they rang his doorbell, a dog was barking inside and someone opened the door for them, you didn't see who that someone was, so I'm not convinced the programme was completely truthful.
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 7 Apr - 16:22

I've never seen heroin or crack cocaine on open display in shops, but it doesn't seem to have halted the demand for it at all.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 7 Apr - 16:26

mara thon wrote:I think there is a big difference between being overweight and being grossly obese. What I couldn't understand re Big Body Squad, and still don't understand, is why, when these people all had severe medical problems related to their weight, they seemed to be living on takeaways. They were not fetching these themselves, they couldn't get to the door to delivery people, so who gives them all that food?

I also think perhaps the programme was not quite honest because they said that one man, 45 stone I think, relied solely on his carer and never saw anyone. However in one episode when the ambulance people arrived, they rang his doorbell, a dog was barking inside and someone opened the door for them, you didn't see who that someone was, so I'm not convinced the programme was completely truthful.

If you watch that show on 4OD, the 74 stone babysitter, there is one woman doctor who makes a very good point. She said that nobody gets to be 74 stones by themselves - they have "enablers" to aid and abet them. During the show, this woman's husband brought her a whole cheese cake, which she then proceeded to polish off all by herself! This woman was unable to get out of bed to even go to the toilet, never mind raid a fridge, so if she's getting bigger then obviously somebody must be "enabling" her.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 7 Apr - 16:30

It doesn't stop youngsters smoking at an early age either. Supposed to be a Law against under age youngsters being able to buy tobacco, Cigarettes
and Alcohol because shopkeepers turn a blind eye or older boys buy it for them. I think Alcoholism and Drug addiction is more serious.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Sat 7 Apr - 16:32

I BEGAN TO WORRY ABOUT MY WEIGHT A TIME BACK AND HAVE TRIED TO EAT HEALTHILY,I EAT LEEKS,BEETROOT AND KIEVS ETC.
I STILL EAT CHOLOCATE ETC.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 Sat 7 Apr - 17:35

The best way of losing weight and/or maintaining healthy weight is imo eating as healthily
as possible and keep treats (biscuits, cakes, sweets) to a minimum and a regular walk or other exercise.

(except for Easter when you can scoff all your Easter Eggs!) Cigarettes banned from open display 25346
cherry1
cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6529
Warning :

Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down