Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns

+6
tanszi
comperedna
fedrules
kitti
NoStone
Annabel
10 posters

Go down

False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Empty False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns

Post  Annabel Sun 29 Apr - 5:47

http://www.scotsman.com/news/dani-garavelli-false-hopes-do-nothing-to-help-the-mccanns-1-2262966

Published on Sunday 29 April 2012 00:00

LIKE a cruel parody of traditional school photographs, the “age progression” pictures of Madeleine McCann line the shelves of our collective consciousness.

Poignant images of a ghost girl, they chart an imagined transition from infant to primary pupil. For Gerry and Kate, they must offer a vision of the middle-class normality that slipped through their fingers the night their daughter disappeared from their holiday apartment in Praia Da Luz. For the rest of us, they are eerie waymarkers on our own journeys, reminding us of the fleeting nature of childhood and how important it is to hold our sons and daughters close while we still can.

There isn’t a parent whose life was untouched by the drama which unfolded in Portugal five years ago this week; no matter where you lived or what you were doing, May 2007 was overshadowed by the rolling news coverage of the search for the missing three-year-old. Manchester United might have taken their ninth Premier League title, the SNP might have won a majority in the Scottish parliament, but it was Madeleine McCann who dominated dinner party conversations, Madeleine McCann who was selling newspapers.

The murder of the Soham girls Holly and Jessica had caused similar shockwaves, but rarely had a tragedy so divided public opinion. Long before the McCanns were named as arguidos, or suspects, by the Portuguese police, people were coming to blows over whether leaving children sleeping alone in an apartment was wilfully reckless or “what everyone does.” In the emotionally charged weeks that followed, even those who normally eschew gossip devoured every morsel of information. And everyone had an opinion on Gerry and Kate, their clothes, their body language and the way they seemed to court the media circus.

Given the twists and turns of the case, that was perhaps inevitable. What is more surprising is that half a decade later Madeleine’s disappearance retains its grip on the public imagination. Whether it’s the scaling down (or up) of the investigation, potential new leads or yet more controversy over allegations made by former Portuguese officers, the story still regularly makes the tabloids’ front pages. And every time it does, the comment boxes are full of the same, polarised responses: one half expressing their “pain” at the plight of the McCanns; the other half lambasting them for their ability to manipulate the news agenda.

Personally, I don’t object to the McCanns’ efforts to keep their daughter in the limelight. Although I think it must be tough for their twins Sean and Amelie to live in the shadow of an older, absent sister and understand why people get angry about the disproportionate amount of attention Madeleine’s disappearance has attracted, it doesn’t seem fair to blame Gerry and Kate for the prejudices of a society which considers middle-class white girls to be of greater worth than poor, black boys. And I know if it were one of my children, I would exploit every tool at my disposal – be it money, articulacy or contacts – to make sure the world kept looking.

No, it’s other people clinging on to the case I find offensive. I don’t mean that flicker of empathy we all feel when we look at a new photograph or the spark of hope that is ignited every time another “sighting” is reported. Those are natural human reactions. I am talking about the grief tourists who feed off the McCanns’ unhappiness and the conspiracy theorists who take an almost visceral pleasure in scrutinising their witness statements in an attempt to “prove” their guilt.

Just as bad is the willingness of public figures to make political capital out of the tragedy. David Cameron should never have yielded to pressure from News International to set up a review of all the information gathered about Madeleine’s disappearance. Perhaps the multi-million inquiry is a good idea, but it should have been launched on operational grounds, not as a PR stunt to bolster the Prime Minister’s image.

As for Operation Grange’s Det Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, why is he raising false hopes? Last week he told BBC1’s Panorama programme the review represented the best opportunity to solve the case, even though he knows the 195 new leads he says he’s found will have to be passed to the Portuguese police, who have little interest in pursuing them. To add that he “genuinely” believes Madeleine might still be alive is the height of irresponsibility, one because it is based on nothing other than a lack of evidence that she is dead, and two, because there is every chance it will prompt the rash of false sightings which so hampered the initial inquiry.

If there is one thing the police should have learned from the Portuguese experience is that there is as much to be lost as there is to be gained from conducting their investigation in the full media glare. So, much as I want Madeleine to be found, I don’t want to hear any more from them until there’s a development so solid it is likely to lead to arrests.

While such a development could come as a result of dogged police work, the recently resolved kidnap cases – Elizabeth Fritzl, Natascha Kampusch and Jaycee Duggard – have all ended as a result of a chance happening: an illness, an encounter or slip on the part of their abductor which allowed the victims to break free. Perhaps one day, Madeleine McCann too will suddenly reappear. Until then, let the poignant age progression photographs stand as the only regular public reminder of a life unlived and the way in which a parent’s hope can triumph over reason.
Annabel
Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :
False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Empty Re: False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns

Post  Panda Sun 29 Apr - 8:26

Thanks Annabel......a good article.

No, it’s other people clinging on to the case I find offensive. I don’t mean that flicker of empathy we all feel when we look at a new photograph or the spark of hope that is ignited every time another “sighting” is reported. Those are natural human reactions. I am talking about the grief tourists who feed off the McCanns’ unhappiness and the conspiracy theorists who take an almost visceral pleasure in scrutinising their witness statements in an attempt to “prove” their guilt."

Is Dani talking about us? False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  303636 False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  303636
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Empty Re: False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns

Post  Guest Sun 29 Apr - 9:18

Interesting question, Panda (Good morning) .................. The bit about scrutinising the Statements is indeed something done by truth seekers. So what is really being said is that others, who believe in their innocence, have no need to read the Statements because they know.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Sun 29 Apr - 9:19

Morning Panda!

That phrase stood out for me as well!

'I am talking about the grief tourists who feed off the McCanns’ unhappiness and the conspiracy theorists'

Like the Mc's who have fed off the unhappy situation Madeleine finds herself in virtually from day one?? Or put forward theories that they were being framed, the scent of death being planted????

Do give over!!!

I guess the folk you are referring to that feed off the Mc's unhappiness is YOU -the spineless press -even K&G complained of that at the Leveson inquiry but hey - you journo's dont come into this at all do you and the Mc's are just so virtuous!!??
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Number of posts : 620
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 29 Apr - 9:42

The End Is Nigh wrote:Interesting question, Panda (Good morning) .................. The bit about scrutinising the Statements is indeed something done by truth seekers. So what is really being said is that others, who believe in their innocence, have no need to read the Statements because they know.

Morning TEIN

I think we have to be very honest with ourselves and ask why we are still avidly involved with this case after 5 yrs. Apart from the fact that it is a mystery , we feel very resentful about this couple who have managed to gain worldwide publicity for their missing daughter because they were well connected , used the Fund to pay Legal Fees to sue the Press and an ex Police Officer , write books purporting to be for the children to read when they
grow up, but really to make money for themselves......this is why this case retains our interest.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Apr - 9:47

Indignation, in my case, rather than resentment!

But that's more or less it, apart from the fact that I suspect most of us care far less about Healy & MCann and care primarily about Madeleine herself and also worry about the future for the Twins.

We mustn't let Healy & McCann succeed to the extent that they somehow overshadow Madeleine.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sun 29 Apr - 9:50

Its the gutter press who make millions out off putting Madeleine face on their front page who need to be scrutinized .
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 29 Apr - 9:50

NoStone wrote:Morning Panda!

That phrase stood out for me as well!

'I am talking about the grief tourists who feed off the McCanns’ unhappiness and the conspiracy theorists'

Like the Mc's who have fed off the unhappy situation Madeleine finds herself in virtually from day one?? Or put forward theories that they were being framed, the scent of death being planted????

Do give over!!!

I guess the folk you are referring to that feed off the Mc's unhappiness is YOU -the spineless press -even K&G complained of that at the Leveson inquiry but hey - you journo's dont come into this at all do you and the Mc's are just so virtuous!!??

Morning NoStone, I have just replied to TIEN on my thoughts and apart from us avidly commenting on anything to do with the McCanns.....be honest!!
we feel frustrated that after 5 years nothing has been proven , possibly it will end up like the Jon Benet case.

(Off topic, Cameron is being interrogated, not interviewed by Andrew Marr. Don't know if he has been on Holiday but he is looking very red. False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  294124 )
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 29 Apr - 9:58

The End Is Nigh wrote:Indignation, in my case, rather than resentment!

But that's more or less it, apart from the fact that I suspect most of us care far less about Healy & MCann and care primarily about Madeleine herself and also worry about the future for the Twins.

We mustn't let Healy & McCann succeed to the extent that they somehow overshadow Madeleine.

I think this is the last phase. If all of a sudden SY find enough evidence to re-open the case it could just be because they have evidence against the
McCanns ....now wouldn't that be great.!!!! Of course we care what happened to Madeleine but it is her Parents who have taken over the public
attention and her disappearance has become secondary.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fedrules Sun 29 Apr - 12:31

kitti wrote:Its the gutter press who make millions out off putting Madeleine face on their front page who need to be scrutinized .
'

Precisely and, if the tide ever does turn on the McCanns, they will have a field day, possibly with all the stories about swinging, drug taking etc which may actually be true..who knows ?
fedrules
fedrules
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1282
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Apr - 12:34

I've also seen some suggestions of paedophilia mentioned. Yuk.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 29 Apr - 12:48

I don't go for the pedophilia theory either, would they take their children to a resort like PDL.....no, they would rent a Villa .
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 29 Apr - 13:17

But there's got to be more to it than just a simple accident. Neglect -> accident => admit it and do the time, and it's over. Why go to the bother of disposing of the body, why the cover-up? No body = no post mortem, and all that might be revealed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Empty I still don't buy this...

Post  comperedna Sun 29 Apr - 15:05

that three children under four, but none of them babies, would all three go obligingly to sleep in a relatively strange holiday flat, in the dark, when their parents had left them alone to go out to eat. My daughter has twins and an older boy with the same age gap. Those three would have been up and out of bed, and out of those small travel cots, (easy to do by most youngsters of the twins age) and up and around committing mischief together in no time. I think they would likely have been kicking up a noise rather than crying. The eldest would have snapped the light on for a start. He might well have been intrepid enough, despite the darkness there was enough light to see by, to venture out of the unlocked flat to look for them after an hour or so... shouting out loudly: 'Mummy! Daddy! Where are you?' If the flat WAS unlocked, that is. They didn't do that. That is why I feel they must have all three been given something to 'help them sleep', or else were being supervised by A. N. Other.
comperedna
comperedna
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 865
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sun 29 Apr - 19:19

Panda im not here because i think the McCs should have the connections they have, or the Fund money, gosh who would want to live a life that came about because they left 3 children under the age of 4 alone in an apartment in a foreign country while they went on the lash. My first real encounter with the case was listening in my car to John McCann saying something along the lines of "its not helpful to say that they children were left alone, that wont solve anything".. wow did my brain kick in then and i watched them on tv and i just thought something isnt right, and i still think something isnt right, so I started following the case elsewhere and finally ended up here. So I am honest with myself, the connections they ve got whatever they are cant be with them in the cold light of day, or at 3 o clock in the morning when they cant sleep because they known whatever happened happened because of them.

I really dont care if theyre swingers, or anything else as long as when they are entertaining themselves its with consenting adults and their children are looked after properly and are safe and secure.jimo.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 Sun 29 Apr - 19:31

some time ago early on in the case a poster did some research on Mark Warner and found on the net
stuff relating to Mark Warner were known for adult holidays, it was then said that this stuff had been removed off the internet. It was also mentioned I believe by one of the MW staff they didnt realise the group had children as they didnt see them with any children, so I dont think anything can be ruled out as for the reason they were over there.
cherry1
cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6529
Warning :

Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Alfiefinn Sun 29 Apr - 19:40

Hi Cherry False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  306321 , how're you,

I think that poster may have confused MW with Warner Leisure Breaks, which are only for adults, and are generally marketed towards the over 50 market?

Alfie False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Icon_flower
Alfiefinn
Alfiefinn
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1482
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 Sun 29 Apr - 19:46

False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  306321 Hi Alfie, I'm fine thanks, good to see you here False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  25346

you could be right re MW. (although strange the info disappeared)

False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Icon_flower
cherry1
cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern Sun 29 Apr - 21:10

Alfiefinn wrote:Hi Cherry False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  306321 , how're you,

I think that poster may have confused MW with Warner Leisure Breaks, which are only for adults, and are generally marketed towards the over 50 market?

Alfie False hopes do nothing to help the McCanns  Icon_flower

I quick read of their website years ago would have clearly shown just how child orientated MW are.
Fern
Fern
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Female
Number of posts : 515
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 Mon 30 Apr - 11:08

The point being made was it had been mentioned some time go by a poster they saw MW advertising
adult holidays and shortly after it was mentioned it was taken off the internet. (that doesnt mean Only adult holidays but it appeared to suggest from what was seen that they did offer also Adult holidays, unless it was misread by the person who originally drew attention to it)

We are all aware of how child friendly MW are, I rermember well when Madeleine went missing
they were interviewing some of the Portuguese in PDL who said they couldnt understand why
the children were not eating with them as they all had their children with them for meals and
most of the time.
cherry1
cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 30 Apr - 11:29

Yes, Cherry: Our friends in most of Europe have a wholly inclusive approach to children whereas in the UK some are put back in their box when the Parents have "better things to do".

I love the atmos. when we go to Italy to stay with the wife's family: Joyous and mutually rewarding for all, be they babies, toddlers, youngsters or grannies.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 30 Apr - 12:43

Yes Europe treat children as precious , unlike the British attitude of some Parents. I was in Tenerife last Year and the Hotel had Guests with children in pushchairs up to 8/9 yrs of age. Every morning you would see them at Breakfast and every evening at Dinner and the older children were swimming in the Pool every day while the Parents went in the Pool with them. I never saw one Parent jogging.!!!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum